Valenth's Thoughts from Week 8...

Valenth
SEOP

Valenth's Thoughts from Week 8...

Post by Valenth »

The Dust has settled and I got some thoughts..

(Sorry for the late post... had a LOT going on yesterday)

1. ACC is ALL Clemson... period.. If Clemson loses any game on here on out... the ACC is likely out of the College Football Playoff.. The ACC outside of Clemson is just not good..

2. Ohio State and Penn State take care of business leading up to a Huge Matchup next week! The Buckeyes thumped Iowa and Penn state took down Minnesota. Once again showing the lopsided power of the East and West Divisions of the B1G.

3. Some may have thought Ole Miss could be a Darkhorse in the playoff Picture... LSU had other ideas in mind. The West is ALL Alabama... the East will come down likely to Tennessee and Georgia. First Tennessee has.to get through Kentucky.

4. The PAC12 did it once again... beating each other up and likely knocking each other out of Playoff Contention... UCLA took it on the Chin from The Ducks... we now have Zero Undefeated Teams In the PAC12.

5. B1G XIIs Playoff hopes rest at the hands of TCU. After Knocking off a pretty good Kansas State Team... TCU controls their destiny right now.

My Projection on AP TOP 10

1. Georgia
2. Ohio State
3. Tennessee
4. Michigan
5. Clemson
6. Alabama
7. TCU
8. Oregon
9. Oklahoma State
10. USC or UCLA (UCLA holds the H2H win over USC)
Last edited by Valenth on Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Omega
SEOPS H

Re: Valenth's Thoughts from Week 8...

Post by Omega »

Some very entertaining games yesterday, but nothing I would consider a huge upset. Val's summary and top ten are good.

Just seven teams left with a reasonable shot at making the playoffs. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

Omega wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:43 am Some very entertaining games yesterday, but nothing I would consider a huge upset. Val's summary and top ten are good.

Just seven teams left with a reasonable shot at making the playoffs. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
There might be a leapfrog in the Top 10 But I just don't see Clemson leapfrogging Michigan cause Syrcuse hadn't played anyone of gumption up to Clemson.

I think TCU holding off Kansas State was a good win.

The only Very Possible leapfrog MIGHT be Oregon jumping over TCU after Oregon beat Undefeated UCLA. But UCLA might just fall to 10th AND USC In 11th because UCLA holds the head to head win to USC. That's the one thing the AP might do.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

For the record, the AP top 25 poll after week eight:

RANK TEAM RECORD
1 GEORGIA 7–0
2 OHIO STATE 7–0
3 TENNESSEE 7–0
4 MICHIGAN 7–0
5 CLEMSON 8–0
6 ALABAMA 7–1
7 TCU 7–0
8 OREGON 6–1
9 OKLAHOMA STATE 6-1
10 USC 6–1
10 WAKE FOREST 6-1
12 UCLA 6–1
13 PENN STATE 6–1
14 UTAH 5–2
15 OLE MISS 7–1
16 SYRACUSE 6–1
17 ILLINOIS 6–1
18 LSU 6–2
19 KENTUCKY 5–2
20 CINCINNATI 6–1
21 NORTH CAROLINA 6–1
22 KANSAS STATE 5–2
23 TULANE 7–1
24 NORTH CAROLINA STATE 5–2
25 SOUTH CAROLINA 5–2

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I can't take the PAC12 seriously after their best team got absolutely destroyed in every facet of the game by Georgia lol.

Ohio State needs to come out to a fast start in Happy Valley Saturday. PSU is not elite, but they aren't bad and regularly these games are tight.

Not sold on JSN. One catch and coughed it up. Seemed the OSU offense was out of sync with him in the game. Maybe he can practice this week and shake the rust off? If not he is nothing more than a decoy on the field and the offense is better with someone else that is 100% committed, healthy and able to play. JSN was magnificent last year but I feel as though the NIL money and draft stock has made him soft and unreliable. I hope he proves me wrong.

SEC- it's all Tennessee and Georgia. Being honest, Bama could easily have 3 losses right now. I just don't see them as the sure thing they have been in the past.

darn Syracuse! They blew it against Clemson. Gave the game away. I hate seeing these coaches over think things and go away from what is working. Run it until the other team finds a way to stop it, then come back to it!

I thought there was a lot of parity in college football this season. I was wrong. The pretenders have spoken and shown their true colors.

Georgia, OSU, *ichigan, Tennessee look like viable playoff teams.

On a side note and being at the game yesterday......at Skull Session, Coach Knowles got up and spoke and said "We are going to kick their @ss!!!". And they did. Coach Day is not scared to pull the trigger on replacing coaches and Knowles looks like the right man for the job. Great hire!

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Bleeding Red wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:48 pm I can't take the PAC12 seriously after their best team got absolutely destroyed in every facet of the game by Georgia lol.

Ohio State needs to come out to a fast start in Happy Valley Saturday. PSU is not elite, but they aren't bad and regularly these games are tight.

Not sold on JSN. One catch and coughed it up. Seemed the OSU offense was out of sync with him in the game. Maybe he can practice this week and shake the rust off? If not he is nothing more than a decoy on the field and the offense is better with someone else that is 100% committed, healthy and able to play. JSN was magnificent last year but I feel as though the NIL money and draft stock has made him soft and unreliable. I hope he proves me wrong.

SEC- it's all Tennessee and Georgia. Being honest, Bama could easily have 3 losses right now. I just don't see them as the sure thing they have been in the past.

darn Syracuse! They blew it against Clemson. Gave the game away. I hate seeing these coaches over think things and go away from what is working. Run it until the other team finds a way to stop it, then come back to it!

I thought there was a lot of parity in college football this season. I was wrong. The pretenders have spoken and shown their true colors.

On a side note and being at the game yesterday......at Skull Session, Coach Knowles got up and spoke and said "We are going to kick their @ss!!!". And they did. Coach Day is not scared to pull the trigger on replacing coaches and Knowles looks like the right man for the job. Great hire!
Red, do you think both Smith-Njigba and the team wou!d be better served with JSN sitting out the rest of the season? On TV he looked like he was still hobbled and with Harrison, Egbuka, Fleming, and Stover, the Bucks still have the nation's best receiving corp. I would hate to see JSN sustain a more serious injury.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Omega wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:06 pm
Bleeding Red wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:48 pm I can't take the PAC12 seriously after their best team got absolutely destroyed in every facet of the game by Georgia lol.

Red, do you think both Smith-Njigba and the team wou!d be better served with JSN sitting out the rest of the season? On TV he looked like he was still hobbled and with Harrison, Egbuka, Fleming, and Stover, the Bucks still have the nation's best receiving corp. I would hate to see JSN sustain a more serious injury.
I honestly think he doesn't want to risk getting hurt and dampening his draft stock.

Better without him and let the offense continue to gel without him at this point IMO.

Hopefully it is just a nagging injury as I'd love to see the JSN from last year on the field. But you don't see NFL players miss nearly half a season with a nagging hammy. And we all know that OSU has the best doctors and rehab people in the business.

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

Bleeding Red wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:15 pm
Omega wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:06 pm

I honestly think he doesn't want to risk getting hurt and dampening his draft stock.

Better without him and let the offense continue to gel without him at this point IMO.

Hopefully it is just a nagging injury as I'd love to see the JSN from last year on the field. But you don't see NFL players miss nearly half a season with a nagging hammy. And we all know that OSU has the best doctors and rehab people in the business.
I don't know Knowles age but...he reminds me of a young Mickey Andrews...long time DC for FSU during their glory years...just a thought

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

@OHHS old timer

Knowles is 57, and OSU is likely his last or next to last stop before retirement.

He has done wonders in turning the OSU defense around with essentially the same personnel as last year. Even on the surface Ohio State is not that much different schematically from 21', but he has the defense playing as attackers rather than reactors.

That and I think last year there was the possibility that OSU/Day/Coombs may have had locker room issues on D with some Urban Meyer leftovers that could not be resolved without cleaning house. Credit Day for hiring Knowles.

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

Omega wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:07 pm @OHHS old timer

Knowles is 57, and OSU is likely his last or next to last stop before retirement.

He has done wonders in turning the OSU defense around with essentially the same personnel as last year. Even on the surface Ohio State is not that much different schematically from 21', but he has the defense playing as attackers rather than reactors.

That and I think last year there was the possibility that OSU/Day/Coombs may have had locker room issues on D with some Urban Meyer leftovers that could not be resolved without cleaning house. Credit Day for hiring Knowles.
Still a darn good Mickey Andrews type of DC. Coach Andrews had his defense attack..if the ball was in the air, he WANTED that ball. Front seven...smother the run and attack the qb.

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

I think Njigba is toast! I thought when he first got hurt it would be hard to get him back. Hamstrings take forever to fully heal and easily aggravate for players who have to run a lot. He would be wise not to try it again this year but maybe he can make a go of it somehow by December. I still think he would be taking a chance. The OSU defense looks much improved from a year ago but I still want to see them against a capable offense that can run and throw. PSU is ranked 49th in total offense so this will be by far the best offense they seen to date but we probably won't know until they see ttun.

Return to “College Sports”