Valenth's Thoughts from Week 4...

Valenth
SEOP

Valenth's Thoughts from Week 4...

Post by Valenth »

Wow What another great week of Football! Let's dive into Details!

1. The BIG XII has now been blown wide open...

With Texas Falling to Texas Tech and Oklahoma being taken down by Kansas State... this conference is looking like the PAC 12 of years past... and its very possible this very week could hurt the BIG XII's chances of a Playoff spot down the road... we will have to see!

One team flying under the radar un the BIG XII.... Kansas! Who would have thought?!

But the team in the catbird Seat right now has to be Oklahoma State. Be interesting to see what happens in the coming weeks.

2. The SEC Is slowly showing showing some cracks...

Arkansas falling to Texas A&M... Ole Miss getting by Tulsa.. and the biggest surprise out of the SEC... Kent State putting 22 points up against a Georgia team that looked pretty much unstoppable... Didn't really see that this week.

The no Surprise was Alabamas thumping of the worst team in the SEC.. aka Vanderbilt.

3. B1G heavily lopsided to the East... B1G Wests only strength is Minnesota.

After Ohio States complete throttling of Wisconsin... They no doubt are the Favorite in the conference.

Maryland put up a good fight against Michigan.. But Marylands Run Defense was their downfall. If you can contain the RB.. Michigan is absolutely beatable.

Minnesota totally dismantled Michigan State... Why Sparty was ranked so high is totally beyond me.

Northwestern...Yeesh! They fall to Miami of Ohio! Look for their Head coach to be on the Hot Seat.

Indiana falling to Cincinnati... no surprise there

4. ACC showing more questions than answers...

Clemson escapes Wake Forst In an Offensive Barrage.

Miami falls to MTSU.. yikes!

Duke falls to Kansas

However there's one team flying under the radar in the ACC as well.. Syracuse... where did they come from? We gotta see how they fare in bigger games.

However Clemson is still the Favorite.

5. PAC12 The south is pretty much all USC...but the North is a Different story. The North is HEAVY in Contenders!

I originally thought Oregon for the North... However Washington
Is playing some really good and balanced Football right now!

Oregon Escaped a decent Wazoo team. Oregon/Washington game will definitely be a game to watch!

Also USC Escaped a Potential Trap game against a Better than average Oregon State football team.

The PAC12 will be very interesting to see how it shapes up down the road.

6. I believe the AP TOP 8 will pretty much stay the same... ( Except for Oklahoma taking a hit) However I can see Tennessee Leapfrogging Oklahoma State and Maybe even Kentucky in their big win against Florida. Look for Tennessee to jump up into 8th or 9th place. Simply because Oklahoma State had a Bye Week and Kentucky didn't win in convincing style against Northern Illinois.

Thoughts? Let me know!

Omega
SEOPS H

Re: Valenth's Thoughts from Week 4...

Post by Omega »

I was on the road most of the weekend and only got to a small bit of FLA-UT and the last 10 minutes of Ohio State.

From looking at the scores, the only conclusion I can make is Vegas did not make much money over the weekend. Upsets and games closer than expected.

For the season to date, one has to be happy for the surprise teams: Kansas, Syracuse, Washington, and Minnesota.

Conversely, you have got to ask what has happened with Sparty and Northwestern?

Just for the record the new AP top 10:

1 GEORGIA 4–0
2 ALABAMA 4–0
3 OHIO STATE 4–0
4 MICHIGAN 4–0
5 CLEMSON 4–0
6 USC 4–0
7 KENTUCKY 4–0
8 TENNESSEE 4–0
9 OKLAHOMA STATE 3–0
10 NORTH CAROLINA STATE 4–0

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

Omega wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:08 pm I was on the road most of the weekend and only got to a small bit of FLA-UT and the last 10 minutes of Ohio State.

From looking at the scores, the only conclusion I can make is Vegas did not make much money over the weekend. Upsets and games closer than expected.

For the season to date, one has to be happy for the surprise teams: Kansas, Syracuse, Washington, and Minnesota.

1 GEORGIA 4–0
2 ALABAMA 4–0
3 OHIO STATE 4–0
4 MICHIGAN 4–0
5 CLEMSON 4–0
6 USC 4–0
7 KENTUCKY 4–0
8 TENNESSEE 4–0
9 OKLAHOMA STATE 3–0
Id throw another surprise team in there as well Florida State seems to have found their stride while Miami is on a Downward Slope.

Michigan State and Northwestern I have absolutely no clue what happened there... But they are HORRIBLE.

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

Valenth wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:40 pm
Omega wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:08 pm I was on the road most of the weekend and only got to a small bit of FLA-UT and the last 10 minutes of Ohio State.

1 GEORGIA 4–0
2 ALABAMA 4–0
3 OHIO STATE 4–0
4 MICHIGAN 4–0
5 CLEMSON 4–0
6 USC 4–0
7 KENTUCKY 4–0
8 TENNESSEE 4–0
9 OKLAHOMA STATE 3–0
Id throw another surprise team in there as well Florida State seems to have found their stride while Miami is on a Downward Slope.

Michigan State and Northwestern I have absolutely no clue what happened there... But they are HORRIBLE.
My Noles are 4-0 for the first time since 2016. The D seems to be swarming everywhere. They remind me when Mickey Andrews was DC. On offense, they seem to have balance. I'm pleasantly surprised!!!

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

The next 3 weeks will tell the tale for FSU...

10/1 Wake Forest
10/8 at NC State
10/15 Clemson

A gauntlet indeed....

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

As to Ohio State, got to watch a replay late this afternoon and evening. My thought is how skilled CJ Stroud is as a passer. In my view, Stroud did not have his best performance against the Badgers. Yet he threw for 5 touchdowns against a pretty good Wisconsin defense. That is ridiculous .

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

OHHS old timer wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:32 pm The next 3 weeks will tell the tale for FSU...

10/1 Wake Forest
10/8 at NC State
10/15 Clemson

A gauntlet indeed....

I like Norvell as coach. His task has been to clean up the mess from Taggert and Jimbo. Maybe the house cleaning is done, and he can start building the program.

Oh and heads up on the gulf. Remember you are still recovering.

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

Omega wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:58 pm
OHHS old timer wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:32 pm The next 3 weeks will tell the tale for FSU...

10/1 Wake Forest
10/8 at NC State
10/15 Clemson

A gauntlet indeed....

I like Norvell as coach. His task has been to clean up the mess from Taggert and Jimbo. Maybe the house cleaning is done, and he can start building the program.

No rest for the weary...just gotta take it one day at a time.....well, sometimes one afternoon at a time. I'll be okay...and thanks!!

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

OHHS old timer wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:03 pm
Omega wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:58 pm

10/1 Wake Forest
10/8 at NC State
10/15 Clemson

A gauntlet indeed....

No rest for the weary...just gotta take it one day at a time.....well, sometimes one afternoon at a time. I'll be okay...and thanks!!
As long as we stay on the left side of the cone, we'll be fine. Some wind...some rain...maybe a few wind gusts above TS strength.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

B12 not looking so hot right now. Utah and USC are the only chance the PAC12 make the playoffs this year.

Meatchicken was exposed by a not so good Maryland team. Thats what happens when they play someone with a pulse instead of the cupcake schedule they have played so far.

OSU looked very impressive again vs Wisky. I will agree that Minnesota is the only dominant team in the West and I have them losing no more than 1 conference game in the West division and going to Indy.

Bama gets love for beating up on another nobody, Georgia struggles and yet ESPN talks about how great these cupcakes are that they are playing.

Things will sort themselves out but it looks like there will be only 2 potentially unbeaten teams this year when the regular season dust settles.

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

I know Bleeding Red mentions this a lot and I'll join him! There's no way that Georgia should be ranked #1 overall after allowing Kent St to hang in that game for all 4 quarters.. if OSU would've done that we would've dropped 10 spots (exaggerated but you get my point). ESPN lovessss them some SEC football :roll:

Ohio State had another dominating performance. I really hope they can keep this up!

I don't see anyone from the Big 12 making the playoff this year - can be upsets all around! USC is the Pac 12 only chance imo. I don't think Washington can carry it out and if they do, I'll eat my words!

On the plus side, we will see 5 games this week that both feature a top 25 team!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

BigGuy10 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:33 pm I know Bleeding Red mentions this a lot and I'll join him! There's no way that Georgia should be ranked #1 overall after allowing Kent St to hang in that game for all 4 quarters.. if OSU would've done that we would've dropped 10 spots (exaggerated but you get my point). ESPN lovessss them some SEC football :roll:

Ohio State had another dominating performance. I really hope they can keep this up!

I don't see anyone from the Big 12 making the playoff this year - can be upsets all around! USC is the Pac 12 only chance imo. I don't think Washington can carry it out and if they do, I'll eat my words!

On the plus side, we will see 5 games this week that both feature a top 25 team!
E$PN owns the ACC and SEC Network. They dont have any stake in the B1G Network........so its all about pumping up their investment when it comes to how they spin stories and make sure their conferences are getting the love!

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Question please,

There has been some discussion on talk radio in the Carolinas that Jaxon Smith-Njigba, who is suffering from a hamstring injury, may leave the Buckeyes in order to properly heal and to start prep for the NFL draft.

Is there any legs to this? His talent is such he will be a first round draft pick if healthy, and hammies are hard to heal when trying to play.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Omega wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:47 am Question please,

There has been some discussion on talk radio in the Carolinas that Jaxon Smith-Njigba, who is suffering from a hamstring injury, may leave the Buckeyes in order to properly heal and to start prep for the NFL draft.

Is there any legs to this? His talent is such he will be a first round draft pick if healthy, and hammies are hard to heal when trying to play.
Nothing has been reported about this but it wouldnt surprise me the least.

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

Bleeding Red wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:37 am
Omega wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:47 am Question please,

Nothing has been reported about this but it wouldnt surprise me the least.
Same here....nothing on any news wire that I found.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

They don't need him anyway, IMO. Receivers are a dime a dozen on this team.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

cbolt wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:42 pm They don't need him anyway, IMO. Receivers are a dime a dozen on this team.
True...but there are good receivers and then there is JSN. Hes a game changer and even if he doesnt touch the ball, teams will have to have safety help on covering him, which opens up 1 on 1 coverage on Harrison Jr, Fleming and Ebuka.

I think Harrison and Ebuka are more of a deep threat with JSN in the game.

Return to “College Sports”