Ohio State 45 Arkansas State 12 Saturday September 10th, 2022

Omega
SEOPS H

Ohio State 45 Arkansas State 12 Saturday September 10th, 2022

Post by Omega »

Arkansas State (1-0) travels to Columbus this Saturday to face Ohio State (1-0) in a noon contest to be televised on the Big Ten Network.

The Red Wolves, out of the Sun Belt Conference, are coming off of a 2-10 ledger in 2021. They opened this season with a 58-3 win over Grambling. They are coached by Butch Jones, previously fired at Tennessee but rehabilitated by Nick Saban as a analyst.

Ohio State opens as a 44 point favorite after their big win over Notre Dame, but I would expect the Bucks to win by something less as they look to get their backups some much needed experience. Buckeyes 56 Red Wolves 24.
Last edited by Omega on Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Arkansas State 1-0 @ #3 Ohio State 1-0 Saturday September 10th, 2022

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I think the Buckeyes will be pissed that they did not play better last week and more pissed because they fell to number three in the rankings.
Bucks 70-13.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:40 pm I think the Buckeyes will be pissed that they did not play better last week and more pissed because they fell to number three in the rankings.
Bucks 70-13.
The actual rankings will not be out until at least tomorrow, but all the projections show Georgia jumping the Buckeyes.

As to the game, it could get ugly if Coach Day focuses on Heisman stats for Stroud or style points for rankings, but my thought is OSU desperately needs game reps for the second offensive unit, especially the o-line. I would hope we would see the backups get more playing time other than late 4th quarter mop up duty.

Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

I think this game gets ugly in a hurry... Buckeyes by a handful.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Coach Day reported Jaxon Smith-Njigba's injury is not long term and expects him to be available this week. OSU does not report injury details, but JSN's issue is rumored to be a hamstring pull.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

The rankings are out, and the Buckeyes indeed fell to third.

Also revealed was that starting center Luke Wypler may miss some playing time due to a lower leg injury.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-sta ... ut-them-if

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

so many people got caught up in the 1st half of the ND Game. They didn't run the ball OSU that is the first half last week. They tried their Heisman QB and star stud WR Corp 1st. Those guys are phenomenal when the run game is honored first. and when you have treveyon Henderson and Williams they got to be established FIRST. That creates so many 1-1 match ups for our guys and those we will blow games open. ND was fired up but the game was getting quite ugly late in the game. Not much more time and that 17pnt spread was going to be covered even with arm chair QB opinion of a batched 1st half by the Bucks. if They start running the ball 1st they will be dangerous. with the improved D.

this week.....run or pass they blow this team out of The Shoe......one week at a time

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Agree with you CW35. The offense against Notre Dame was not "video game" quality, but I was more pleased with the 21-10 win more so than if they had won 49-38. The Buckeyes displayed an aggressive defense and toughness that will be needed if State is going to reclaim the Big 10 title. The next two games should focus on fine tuning the offense and building depth. That will be more important than building gaudy stats.

Omega
SEOPS H

Re: Ohio State 45 Arkansas State 12 Saturday September 10th, 2022

Post by Omega »

Ohio State defeats Arkansas State 45-12 in a somewhat uninspired performance by the Buckeyes.

OSU tallied 370 yards through the air and 168 on the ground for a total offense of 538 yards.

TreVeyon Henderson led the Buckeye rushing attack with 10 carries for 87 yards and one touchdown.

CJ Stroud was 16 of 24 for 351 yards, 4 touchdowns and no interceptions.

Marvin Harrison Jr was the leading receiver for the Bucks with 7 catches for 184 yards and 3 touchdowns.

Of note, Egbuka had a 78 yard punt return touchdown called back for a defender jumping the punt shield (???)

The Red Wolves gained only 276 yards for the game with only 53 coming on the ground. ASU quarterback James Blackman passed for 188 yards and was effective in controlling time of possession for 37 minutes. That kept OSU off of the field limiting their scoring opportunities.

All in all a decent afternoon of football for the Buckeyes. Yet dumb penalties, missed assignments, and some struggles defending kick returns kept the game from becoming a mega rout that some predicted. Win and advance is all you can ask for.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Omega wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:23 pm Ohio State defeats Arkansas State 45-12 in a somewhat uninspired performance by the Buckeyes.

OSU tallied 370 yards through the air and 168 on the ground for a total offense of 538 yards.

TreVeyon Henderson led the Buckeye rushing attack with 10 carries for 87 yards and one touchdown.

Marvin Harrison Jr was the leading receiver for the Bucks with 7 catches for 184 yards and 3 touchdowns.

Of note, Egbuka had a 78 yard punt return touchdown called back for a defender jumping the punt shield (???)

The Red Wolves gained only 276 yards for the game with only 53 coming on the ground. ASU quarterback James Blackman passed for 188 yards and was effective in controlling time of possession for 37 minutes. That kept OSU off of the field limiting their scoring opportunities.

All in all a decent afternoon of football for the Buckeyes. Yet dumb penalties, missed assignments, and some struggles defending kick returns kept the game from becoming a mega rout that some predicted. Win and advance is all you can ask for.
Uninspired? Please explain.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Bleeding Red wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:43 pm
Omega wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:23 pm Ohio State defeats Arkansas State 45-12 in a somewhat uninspired performance by the Buckeyes.

Watching the broadcast, I felt the Bucks did not appear to.display the same intensity and focus as they did against the Irish. Thus the use of the term uninspired. A let down after the intensity of the opener would be expected .They won convincingly today on talent which creates a scary thought. How good this Buckeye team could be if/when the physical and mental aspects of their game come together. I honestly am more bullish about OSU's season than I have been since 2015.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Omega wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:24 pm
Bleeding Red wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:43 pm

Watching the broadcast, I felt the Bucks did not appear to.display the same intensity and focus as they did against the Irish. Thus the use of the term uninspired. A let down after the intensity of the opener would be expected .They won convincingly today on talent which creates a scary thought. How good this Buckeye team could be if/when the physical and mental aspects of their game come together. I honestly am more bullish about OSU's season than I have been since 2015.
Agree to disagree.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I liked the defense again, the offense showed more but still has players out so the jury is still out on that you as far as I am concerned.
They have to get the penalties fixed.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Day has to get the penalties (esp. personal fouls) cleaned up or it will cost them against an equally talented team. He didn't sound too impressed after the game with their performance but said there were some positives. I am impressed with the way the defense has been flying around but the competition has been suspect in the two games they have played so I will be curious to see how they do against a capable offense.

Return to “College Sports”