Ohio State Men's Basketball 21-22

BigGuy10
Varsity

Ohio State Men's Basketball 21-22

Post by BigGuy10 »

College basketball starts tonight with the Buckeyes hosting the in state Akron Zips to kick off the season. How do we feel about the Buckeyes this season??

We lost a few guys from last year in Duane Washington and CJ Walker but still return big names like EJ Liddell, Kyle Young, Justice Sueing, and Seth Towns (currently out till roughly December) and bring in 3 new graduate transfers. I also look for freshman (still a freshman even though played in 17 games last season) Meechie Johnson Jr to step up this year and try to take over the guard role.

It may take a few games to mesh together but I'm excited for this season. Always love cheering on the Buckeyes!

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Re: Ohio State Men's Basketball 21-22

Post by Chieftain2009 »

The Buckeyes have a solid team this year. I really like EJ Liddell, and hope he takes over like he's capable, and always a fan of Kyle Young. I think the Buckeyes are definitely a tournament team, and a top 25 team, but we'll see how good.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

I’m really excited for the season to get underway. I think this team is being overlooked nationally. Losing Washington will hurt a bit, Walker too. But man they have added some good pieces to an already solid roster. Wheeler brings that veteran leadership, not quite the scorer Walker was at times, but his defense is awesome. Brunk is a big guy who will help down low when we get in foul trouble. Russell is the scorer to replace Washington, he shoots the 3 ball well, not like Washington but well enough. Those 3 transfers in with he talented freshman Branham bring a lot of talent to the team. Liddell should only keep getting better. This team has a lot of size and some speed. I expect big things this season.

Who Dey!
bsee12345
Varsity

Post by bsee12345 »

Well an win is a win. Thought this was a tuff opening game- most choose the easy route but not Ohio State this year. EJ Liddell has to stay on the floor- his 5th foul surprised me from a player that good. Lots to work on but Akron is a good team and challenged the Buckeyes how they needed to be challenged. I was expecting a little more from the Penn State transfer but he was on the floor at the end of game which says something about who coach thought could get it done. Next couple games should help with getting the offense and defense is sync. A lot will say the Buckeyes are doomed for a tuff year but Coach will get them moving in the right direction.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

First game in the books, and I was already having a mini stroke lol. Akron is a really solid team, they’ll contend if not win the Mac. Most schools do open up with a cupcake, but the Buckeyes surely didn’t. Huge games from the big guys. Liddell had a nice night but he didn’t play smart. He had some silly fouls, and a very untimely one to foul out. He has to be better with that. Key had a solid game, including the game winner. Outside of those 2, not much offense from anyone else. Although I think Branham played pretty well and I think he’s going to be really really good. Hopefully they’ll build some chemistry over the next few games (Niagara & Bowling Green) because after that it’s Xavier, Seton Hall, tba tournament team and Duke…tough stretch.

Who Dey!
BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

Like mentioned above, a win is a win. Akron will be a top 2-3 team in the MAC easy

Our next couple games need to work out some kinks and see who plays well together on the floor. We should also get a solid boost when Kyle Young is back on the floor which is expected to be soon, possibly within next couple games. Liddell and Key were the two main guys last night but we need to get our guards to take some of the load off for us.

I'm not really too worried, I think we'll be just fine as long as we remain healthy!

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

Another game tonight slated to tip-off at 7:00 pm vs Niagara who lost a close game to Xavier the other evening.

Don't know much about this team but I'd assume it should be a game for the Buckeyes to get in a rhythm and see who glues well together. Wonder if we'll see Kyle Young any tonight or letting him recover more?

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

Following an 84-74 victory over Niagara, the Buckeyes will host Bowling Green (1-1) tonight at 6:30 on BTN

I'd like to see a game where everyone is firing on all cylinders and we get a clear statement win before our non-conference schedule gets tougher.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Xavier downs OSU 71-65. Being out rebounded and shooting only 37% from the field is not a winning formula.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Buckeyes didn’t look very good against in state foe Xavier. Sloppy play, a ton of turnovers, got out rebounded, missed a lot of layups early, and defense wasn’t good. Way too many easy buckets at the basket for Xavier last night. So far this team on defense doesn’t really look like a Chris Holtman defensive team. Good game from Meechie Johnson though, back to back for him. Next game is against Seton Hall who just knocked of ❌Ichigan this week.

Who Dey!
BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

Big win last night vs #21 ranked Seton Hall! Meechie Johnson with ice in his veins for the last shot!

EJ Liddell with a big 28 points to help lead the Buckeyes to a win. I liked seeing the team start to click and play well together. Shot nearly 48% last night which isn't too shabby either! Good momentum for this small break heading into a home game vs Duke!

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

BigGuy10 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:16 am Big win last night vs #21 ranked Seton Hall! Meechie Johnson with ice in his veins for the last shot!

EJ Liddell with a big 28 points to help lead the Buckeyes to a win. I liked seeing the team start to click and play well together. Shot nearly 48% last night which isn't too shabby either! Good momentum for this small break heading into a home game vs Duke!

Meechie is coming along well, really like what I’m seeing from him. Liddell is a monster. Kyle Young, Justin Ahrens & Jimmy Sotos all played well yesterday too. No small break before we play Duke though. We play #23 (4-0) Florida tomorrow night at 8:30 pm. Going to be a tough game, Florida is pretty solid. Would be nice to leave Fort Myers with 2 wins over 2 ranked teams. Then we do have off 6 days before Duke comes to Columbus.

Who Dey!
BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

PTrojan59 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:59 am
BigGuy10 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:16 am Big win last night vs #21 ranked Seton Hall! Meechie Johnson with ice in his veins for the last shot!

Meechie is coming along well, really like what I’m seeing from him. Liddell is a monster. Kyle Young, Justin Ahrens & Jimmy Sotos all played well yesterday too. No small break before we play Duke though. We play #23 (4-0) Florida tomorrow night at 8:30 pm. Going to be a tough game, Florida is pretty solid. Would be nice to leave Fort Myers with 2 wins over 2 ranked teams. Then we do have off 6 days before Duke comes to Columbus.
Yes that's my bad, just saw our game for tonight this morning. Florida is a solid team and like you said, 2 ranked wins going into this after a loss is huge. We'll see how bad we want the win!

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Buckeyes lost a heart breaker at the buzzer to Florida. Game was very sloppy. Lots of fouls and turnovers. I think Ohio State may have had 20 turnovers. Hate to lose that way after leading most of the game. Ohio State is definitely battle tested so far. Big game at home against Duke next week.

Who Dey!
cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

That thing was from way downtown!!! Great game but that really hurt with Young fouling out with so much time left.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Huge game tonight against the Dukies! Gonna see what the Bucks are made of.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Wow! What a huge win for the Buckeyes tonight. They came from behind double digits to upset the number 1 ranked undefeated Duke Blue Devils. Ohio State got a huge game from Zed Key who I believe scored a career high points. Cedric Russell was huge off the bench too. Absolutely needed this win after the heart breaker to Florida last week. Game ended over an hour ago and my adrenaline is still pumping lol. Next game is against Penn State Sunday evening.

Who Dey!
cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Big Win! Duke really looked uninspired shooting a paltry 38.5% and only making 28.6% on threes. Most every shot was contested thanks to a scrappy OSU defense. Ahrens was off but Key and Russell stepped up big. It's a miracle they won considering how much they turned the ball over to go with horrible free throw shooting until late in the game. OSU is off to their usual great start now can they keep it going an entire season unlike previous years. Some interesting trivia I heard after the game. Last time OSU lost to Michigan in football they beat Duke the next week in Basketball and went to the final four that year. So hopefully that means they won't do their usual collapse later this year.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Good win against Duke. As Cbolt said, hopefully the Basketbucks can break their cycle of mid season collapse.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

I was there last night and man what a game to be at!! That place was rockin!

At halftime my optimism was going down just a bit with our high # of TO and missed FT! Hard to beat a team like Duke when you make those kinds of mistakes and miss points opportunities but the Buckeyes prevailed! Liddell is a stud. Key had the game of his life and I hope that's just a start of what's to come! Russell was huge coming off the bench. However, I'm not a fan of Ahrens, chucks up shots and is shaky on defense..

Big time win that should leap us into the rankings again! Go Bucks!!

Return to “College Sports”