4. Oregon. 7-1
5. Ohio St. 7-1
6. Cincinnati 8-0
7. Michigan. 7-1
8. Oklahoma 9-0
9. Wake Forest 8-0
10. Notre Dame 7-1

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/rankings.aspx

Bucks getting some benefit of the doubt and Cincinnati getting little respect. Thoughts?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
cbolt
SEOP

Re: First 2021 CFP Committee Playoff Rankings

Post by cbolt »

Wow, I was way off after the first two. Never dreamed Sparty would get that much respect. They must think both them teams up north are pretty strong :shock:
I'm not that surprised about Cincy. I was waffling around about whether to put them in the top 4. Their SOS is really weak out side of ND.

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

From all the articles I read...it looks about right. ND needs to win out to help Cincy and the Bearcats just need to keep winning baby.

Everything else will come into focus real soon....

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

Putting Alabama #2 when their Loss to a #14 ranked 2 Loss Texas A&M Team... and Ohio States only Loss is to #4 Oregon Makes ABSOLUTELY ZERO SENSE. This Committee is in the Bed with Alabam... no ifs ands or buts.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Valenth wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:12 pm Putting Alabama #2 when their Loss to a #14 ranked 2 Loss Texas A&M Team... and Ohio States only Loss is to #4 Oregon Makes ABSOLUTELY ZERO SENSE. This Committee is in the Bed with Alabam... no ifs ands or buts.
The old argument of the four best teams versus the four teams with the most deserving records. The five weeks of football yet to come will separate the real contenders from the pretenders. Bama will have a chance to prove the Committee's opinion to be right or wrong.

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

Here's my soapbox on the CFP. Everyone loves March Madness correct? I understand football and basketball are played competitively different, but same type of concept. If the Committee is going to keep downplaying G5 schools by always saying "no matter how well you do, you aren't going to have a chance, have fun working your tails off every year for the Orange Bowl". You have 2 options:

1. Expansion. but to a 12 or 16 team format (FCS uses 16 every year and people love it) and take your 10 conference champions and give them a CHANCE! If you win your conf. ship, you deserve at least an opportunity imo. and fill the remaining spots with your next X best amount of teams at large. This format also gives ND a chance to make it since they don't belong to a conference. Who doesn't want 1-2 more college games??

2. Have 2 divisions within the FBS. FBS D1 is P5 schools. FBS D2 is G5 schools and let each division have a 4 team playoff so they can compete for a championship as well.

So many different scenarios can take place, but these are my thoughts. Would love to hear your opinions!

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Omega wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:51 pm
Valenth wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:12 pm Putting Alabama #2 when their Loss to a #14 ranked 2 Loss Texas A&M Team... and Ohio States only Loss is to #4 Oregon Makes ABSOLUTELY ZERO SENSE. This Committee is in the Bed with Alabam... no ifs ands or buts.
The five weeks of football yet to come will separate the real contenders from the pretenders.
Agree Omega.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

BigGuy10 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:43 am Here's my soapbox on the CFP. Everyone loves March Madness correct? I understand football and basketball are played competitively different, but same type of concept. If the Committee is going to keep downplaying G5 schools by always saying "no matter how well you do, you aren't going to have a chance, have fun working your tails off every year for the Orange Bowl". You have 2 options:

1. Expansion. but to a 12 or 16 team format (FCS uses 16 every year and people love it) and take your 10 conference champions and give them a CHANCE! If you win your conf. ship, you deserve at least an opportunity imo. and fill the remaining spots with your next X best amount of teams at large. This format also gives ND a chance to make it since they don't belong to a conference. Who doesn't want 1-2 more college games??

2. Have 2 divisions within the FBS. FBS D1 is P5 schools. FBS D2 is G5 schools and let each division have a 4 team playoff so they can compete for a championship as well.

So many different scenarios can take place, but these are my thoughts. Would love to hear your opinions!
You may be spot on. Since the advent of the playoffs, I have felt the universities fully committed to competing for national championships would form their own division. Something like 32 or 48 teams out the current 130 FBS schools. Now that pay for play is basically legal, the current powers will only get stronger, and the rest weaker. The have nots may want to regroup and try to salvage some degree of the amateur student athlete.

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

Omega wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:03 pm
BigGuy10 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:43 am Here's my soapbox on the CFP. Everyone loves March Madness correct? I understand football and basketball are played competitively different, but same type of concept. If the Committee is going to keep downplaying G5 schools by always saying "no matter how well you do, you aren't going to have a chance, have fun working your tails off every year for the Orange Bowl". You have 2 options:

You may be spot on. Since the advent of the playoffs, I have felt the universities fully committed to competing for national championships would form their own division. Something like 32 or 48 teams out the current 130 FBS schools. Now that pay for play is basically legal, the current powers will only get stronger, and the rest weaker. The have nots may want to regroup and try to salvage some degree of the amateur student athlete.
Exactly. By basically exempting the G5 schools, the committee is saying only the 65 P5 schools have a legit shot at the title and even half of them probably don't because they aren't the "money-makers".

So here you are with 65 G5 schools who work all year for what? Either expand the playoffs or give them their own separate championship opportunity.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

if cincinnati wins out they will be in top 4. that is all you can ask.

Return to “College Sports”