Michigan #11 Coaches Poll

Peake
SEOP

Michigan #11 Coaches Poll

Post by Peake »

I know we have seen this same song and dance before, but at least it looks like the media and coaches have bought into the idea that the guys that are running this team are legit.

Questions are still there and I understand that, believe me I want to see them beat someone outside of Notre Dame. Everyone has to feel good about the direction of this team.

I know the defense has two players that are NFL caliber, I am not being unrealistic, but the scheme has been pretty darn good thus far. There is no question that teams have moved the ball on us, but you are not seeing WR's running past our corners, or blown coverages, or poor open field tackling. I really feel this thing is turning in the other direction.

The offense imo is never going to be great. Denard is what he is and we all know that he is a runner first passer second. He is a good enough college QB to hurt you, but most of his damage will be done on the ground. With that being said, if you watched last game you saw Devin Gardner getting a lot of snaps, this is key imo. He is the future of this program. Devin doesn't have Denard speed, well very few players do or ever will, but he can make plays with his feet and have the arm to make all the throws. The OL has been above average and if they just stay above average there is a realistic shot at not losing a game on the schedule. I mean it. Next is Northwestern, they can beat us no doubt, but they are meh. Michigan State is a very solid club, but nothing special. Iowa is down, Nebraska is above average but I am not convinced we can't beat them at home. OSU is a team that I feel could easily win 6 of their remaining 7, but they are still a shell of their former self at this point.

The last 7 games will be interesting, and for once I am excited to see how it turns out.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Re: Michigan #11 Coaches Poll

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

Too high too early, but on right track!

Slim Jim
Varsity

Post by Slim Jim »

And they will see the first win over osu in awhile this year too...

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

They are playing good football. Well deserved IMO

pbuck
All State

Post by pbuck »

I've always and will always be a Michigan fan I'm just amazed of how good a coaching job the defensive staff has done up to this point basically the same players but a different attitude voice and scheme has turn the D around 180 degrees but were not quite there just yet but were closing in and I applaud Al Borges and the offensive staff in basically calling the type of plays to allow the Rich Rod players to be more comfortable out there and move the ball lastly I basically agree with you peake in everything you said with your post and I really enjoy you insight into the program you obtain and posting it on here for us fans BTW just wanted to throw that last bit in GO BLUE let's keep improving every week and see where we are after the regular season HTTV!!!!!

VegasEagle
Varsity

Post by VegasEagle »

WOW is all I can say...

Mercerville Monster
All Conference

Post by Mercerville Monster »

Nice to see Michigan back on the map but it may be a little early for that high of a ranking. Michigan is a team that if you are a fan of they make you nervous. The D is MUCH improved but not completely there yet but the O can make you somewhat nervous. Either way, they are a lot better than the past few years and it seems with this staff Michigan will once again be Michigan sooner rather than later.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Want to see them play a real team first,,Notre Dame was decent, but the defense looked like swiss cheese, looked like the same old defense to me,,the offense does look potent, but they always do this time of year, be interesting to see how they do against a good defense... they really lucked out they don't have play wisky in the regular season....

VegasEagle
Varsity

Post by VegasEagle »

C-Bolt wrote:Want to see them play a real team first,,Notre Dame was decent, but the defense looked like swiss cheese, looked like the same old defense to me,,the offense does look potent, but they always do this time of year, be interesting to see how they do against a good defense... they really lucked out they don't have play wisky in the regular season....
Agree 100% welcome to the cold cruel world of big ten football UM possible upset at NW this wknd.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I think I basically said what you just said.

I would also like to see them play someone outside of Notre Dame before I judge them, but that decent Notre Dame team smacked MSU in the mouth who in turn just beat Ohio State.

We will see this weekend.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

as weak as the big ten is this year and the schedule is favorable not playing bucky,,, michigan could actually have a good year,I think they beat northwestern this week end,,, northwestern has injuries to key players right now so the timing is right for big blue,,if they are lucky enough to get through unscathed Bucky will beat them like a red headed step child in indy,but that would still be a great year for big blue......

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I think Wisconsin is that much better then everyone right now.

91Buckeye
Varsity

Post by 91Buckeye »

I tend to agree with everyone that the ranking is a little early. Yes we beat ND who has some nice wins over MSU and Pitt. Are we "good" or did we get lucky? Only time will tell.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Saw on another thread where someone wanted a swig from a bottle...... You must be passing it around in Ann Arbor.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Played poorly in the first half, turned it around and pitched a shut out in the 2nd. I still have my reservations about this team, but I think it is a very well coached team with a spectacular athlete leading it. Is this is a great Michigan team, probably not, but with a little luck and this schedule, good things could be in store.

It will be a great test this week.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

This is the game Meechigan usually derails and never recovers from,,, If they can run up and down the field on this defense we'll have an answer.Not sure if Sparty has a good enough offense to test the unknown defense, but we should know on offense,just hope and pray your QB stays healthy as much as he likes to run,,that's always the downside to these athletic QBs,,Joe Paterno used to never recruit them for that very reason but even he rolls the dice now......

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

This will be week 7, I don't think you can say any longer that this is an unknown anything. Michigan is a defense that rolls the dice and likes to bring pressure, sometimes it gets them beat sometimes it saves their tails. They are a bend don't break defense imo.

As far as Denard goes, well it is week 7 and he has come out for all of two series in 7 games, I don't think at this point there is a big worry he gets hurt. Reason being, he has learned to get down more often and head for the sidelines. If he does get hurt, Devin is probably starting for 8 of 12 teams (not Wisconsin, Michigan, MSU, NW) in the Big Ten this year.

This game will come down to what it always does, line of scrimmage and who can control it.

We shall see what happens, but this is not the past 3 years Michigan. If you and everyone else can't see that by now, well I would question your own football knowledge.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Exactly what offenses have you guys played?????? Notre Dame is by far the best one and it looked like the old defense to me in that game, look at your weak schedule so far the big ten has just started and Northwestern was nursing injuries(and they still had over 400 yards) on their offense so its still too early to judge the defense I don't care what knowledge you think you have and I'm not trying to bash UM its just reality,,show me then i'll start believing,Like I said earlier Michigan has very favorable schedule this year so it might take awhile to see how good they really are...

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

It is week 7, seriously dude get a clue.

Sorry we can't play bama or lsu every week.

Well we've played the #21 offense in the country which is only 25 spots better then OSU has played.

I guess the fact that our defense is is #1 in the country in fumbles recovered, or 45th in 3rd down percentage, or #2 in redzone defense, or 32nd in pass efficiency, or #9 scoring defense, or #15 in turnovers gained, or #39 in total defense accounts for anything? We have just played no one, our defense has had nothing to do with anything.

Michigan State has the #1 Defense in the country, that same NOtre Dame offense sure looked good against them, but I guess they haven't played any great offenses either.

Awful schedule? Sorry we can't play Colorado, and Toledo, and Akron, and awesome Miami,FL. We have such a weak non-conference compared to OSU, their schedule is stacked (Rolls eyes). MAybe we can go out and play Nebraska or Wisconsins non-conference schedule, the competition was so much better (rolls eyes again).

COngrats you just got beat by a great Nebraska team that got smoked the week before. You have played one ranked team and lost. I am so impressed.

We played a bad half v NW, we then do what well coached teams do, adjusted, and shut them out.

You are judging Michigan on a week two performance, since Notre Dame they have given up and average of 8 ppg.

This Michigan defense is a bend don't break, they will come after you hard, and it will bite them sometimes, and it will bite you sometimes. It's not secret. Are they an elite defensive team, nope, but are they much improved and good enough to beat anyone remaining, I believe so.

Favorable schedule. Please.... The Big Ten is down from top to bottom with the exception of Wisconsin, there is no favorable schedule. We play everyone OSU does minus Wisconsin.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Your just a barrell of laughs and full of wonderful knowledge,but if I was you I wouldn't buckle the seatbelt on the big blue band wagon yet

Return to “College Sports”