Texas vs. Ohio State

Who Wins?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:05 am

Total votes: 0

gt13osu
Varsity

Texas vs. Ohio State

Post by gt13osu »

Who do you guys think will win this game?

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Texas vs. Ohio State

Post by Tigercannon71 »

I think the Buckeyes will win. This should be a great game. Buckeyes have no pressure on them Id say most people expect them to get blown out after the 2 debacles in the past bowl game appearances. Plus Texas is looking to prove something after being snubbed for the Championship game. So this should be a good one.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Here is an analysis from a Texas insider.....

The biggest difference between these teams is the experience at QB. That is a difference that tOSU cannot make up. They are just going to have to deal with it as they have over the course of the year. That is the advantage that UT has which can't be explained away or even schemed away. McCoy is in total control of UTs offense, is accurate, makes mostly good decisions, is mobile and makes plays on the hoof, both with his legs and his arm. He is a very good college QB who is having about as successful a year as is possible.

OSU's D is strong against the run, which UT doesn't do all that well, but UT will pass to set up the run, and this season has proven that Greg Davis will not abandon the run just because it is not working well in the early stages. The run generally gets better for UT as the passing game pressures and loosens the opponent's D. The bottom line is how well can OSU defend the pass?

tOSU has had some problem with spread teams, but no so much this year. Like many teams with great athletes, they would prolly prefer to play alot of man. McCoy's running ability makes this dicey, as does UT's WR stable, which is solid and disciplined, though not supremely talented. OSU can put three CBs on the field who can all cover just about anyone (Jenkins, Chekwa, Washington). The safeties are solid but not world-beaters. OSU's zone is acceptable, and the LBs drop into coverage about as well as any set in the country, but it is not really optimal. Plus, UTs passing game is set up to make quick strikes into zone spaces with the occasional downfield route. OSU's DL has imporved markedly over the course of the season, but they still are suspect up the middle and lack a true, consistent pash rushing end. Gibson and Williams are young guys that can get after it but they are still developing. All in all, UTs O is a tough matchup because of its efficiency. OSU is not a high pressure D. They play solid, take advantage of errors, and clamp down in the RZ. UT has proven that they are patient on O, that they will take what is given. OSU will get some stops but won't control the game. I would expect UT to score between 21 and 30 points.

OSUs O is still a work in progress. Pryor presents problems as a runner and is serviceable as a passer. He does not really know what he is doing yet, and he changes/improves noticeably from game to game. It will be interesting to see what the bowl practice schedule produces in the way of QB growth. Shark is correct about one thing: Pryor has been remarkably error free most of the time. He takes care of the ball, is hard to hit, and is much more accurate on intermediate routes than one might expect. He is not likely to dismantle UTs pass D, but the combo of his running, which has been coming on, and his arm could pose problems.

OSUs OL is also a work in progress. Major changes occurred after the USC game and they are still gelling. Again, the Bowl practices might make a marked difference. One thing to Note: In the recent OSU losses that involved lopsided outcomes or stretches of the game, the LT has struggled to hold his own in pass pro. Boone is not a knee-bender. He is a bit stiff and has not held well against excellent speed rushers (much better against bull rushers). Orakpo should give him problems. How this plays out with a mobile QB I am not sure, but Boeckman and Smith, who had essentially stopped running by the time of the UF game, were badly put off their games by quality pass rushes. Aside from not having Ginn against UF or Wells against USC, the tackles have been a real liability on O and the offense has struggled in those games as a result.

OSUs run game is pretty solid. Wells is a world class back who is going to get his yards. He usually breaks one big run a game. He is a hammer and a warrior who generally gets stronger as the game progresses. Herron is serviceable as a replacement, but if Beanie is healthy he is even better as a slight change of pace back. UTs strength is run D, but I don't think they have played a single team with a run O as good as OSUs or a back as talented as Wells (OU was struggling on the ground against everyone prior to the RRS). OSU will not likely be shut out on the ground, especially as Pryor can assist, as well.

OSUs WRs are better than their numbers as they have struggled with a frosh QB. Still, they are no all world talents (much like UTs WR set). They struggles to get separation at times and the plays are often telegraphed. This will help a UT pass D that still has some growing pains to iron out. UTs DBs are not all world talents, either, so they will give up some plays.

Both teams have solid STs and coaching.

Bottom line, there is no talent gap in this game. Both teams are laden with ballers but flaws are apparent. The advantage goes to UT because their offense is much more consistent at this point and OSU, while talented on D, does not generally have the kind of disruptive, DL play necessary to hold UT in relative check for the whole game. The one wild card is Pryor, as his improvement has been consistent and the bowl practice schedule will likely benefit him and OSUs OL more than any of the other positions or matchups in this game. If OSU can move the ball and score, UT can be made to play patient ball and, if mistakes are kept to a minimum, the game will be close.

I would expect UT to win 28-20.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Gibson, Lauranitis and the D line must win the game for the Buckeyes. They have to pressure McCoy and get him to leave the pocket without giving up big plays with his legs. They cant put 4 in the box and let him have all day to pick them apart like they did against USC.

The other issue is Ohio State's DB's tackling well in the open and not giving up a ton of yards after the catch. Texas doesnt throw a ton of deep balls, they turn 5-10 yard routes into 30-40 yard gains.

If the Buckeyes can get these things done and their offense that faced Michigan State, Michigan and Northwestern shows up, they should win.

JMO

whompascat
All Conference

Post by whompascat »

texas is alot better than michigan state and northwestern and michigan was terrible.

osu will have to play thier best game to keep it close
Last edited by whompascat on Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Orestes, that was a great post about this game.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

TEXAS BY,24.

I love the Buckeyes but Coach T. is not a big time game coach.
His record is showing that loud and clear.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I TOO, AM SOMEWHAT BEFUDDLED ABOUT THE BUCKEYES. I LOVE THEM, AND I PREDICTED PRESEASON, IT WOULD BE THEM AGAINST OKLAHOMA IN THE BCS GAME. I KNEW GEORGIA WOULD LOSE IN THE SEC, AND USC, IS ALWAYS GOOD FOR A BRAIN FART IN THEIR CONFERENCE.

AND YES TEXAS IS GONNA BE WHIZZED, ABOUT THE OKLAHOMA SITUATION.

BUT WITH THAT SAID. I THINK IF THE BUCKEYES WIN THE COIN TOSS. PUT OUT THE DEFENSE FIRST. GIVE THEM SOME CONFIDENCE. STOP THAT FIRST DRIVE, BUT BE READY TO EXPECT ANYTHING ON IT. THEN POUND AWAY ON OFFENSE. THEY WILL HAVE TO PLAY A NEARLY PERFECT GAME. AND THE COACHING CAN'T BE CONSERVATIVE. BUT I THINK THE BUCKS , CAN WIN THIS ONE.

BUCKEYES 24-LONGHORNS 21. :12224

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

newarkcatholicfan wrote:TEXAS BY,24.

Here are BCS appearances and records by school..... Ignore them if you like...

6 USC 5-1 1 NC

6 Ohio State 4-2 1 NC

6 Oklahoma 2-4 1 NC

6 Florida State 1-5 1 NC

4 LSU 4-0 2 NC (all in Louisiana)
4 Florida 3-1 1 NC
4 Miami 3-1 1 NC
4 Michigan 1-3
3 Georgia 2-1
3 Notre Dame 0-3
3 VaTech 0-3
3 VaTech 0-3
2 Texas 2-0 1 NC
2 West Virginia 2-0
2 Wisconsin 2-0
2 Nebraska 1-1
2 Tennessee 1-1 1 NC
2 Illinois 0-2
2 Texas A&M 0-2
1 Auburn 1-0
1 Boise State 1-0
1 Kansas 1-0
1 Louisville 1-0
1 Oregon 1-0
1 Oregon State 1-0
1 Penn State 1-0
1 Utah 1-0
1 Washington 1-0
1 Alabama 0-1
1 Colorado 0-1
1 Hawaii 0-1
1 Iowa 0-1
1 Kansas State 0-1
1 Maryland 0-1
1 Pittsburgh 0-1
1 Purdue 0-1
1 Stanford 0-1
1 Syracuse 0-1
1 Wake Forest 0-1
1 Washington State 0-1

CMo
JV Team

Post by CMo »

newarkcatholicfan wrote:TEXAS BY,24.

I'd take those 24 pionts in a heart beat newark and believe me I have no faith in the Buckeyes... Let me know if your actually serious about that and I will make an appearance with you for some type of bet???? Orestes I would almost do the same with you, I don't see the Longhorns winning this game for some odd reason. I would like for them to but if I would have to put money on it especially getting 8 points let alone 24 I would probably have to have go with the Buckeyes!

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

The notion that Tressel is not a big game coach is a false one
perpetuated by idiots like Mark May.

Up until the national title game against Florida, Tressel was known as
THE Big Game coach.

Since that game he has lost 4 games that you could consider big.

2 National Titles, one to USC, and the defacto Big Ten title game this year to PSU.

Just because he has lost a couple of games, doesn't make him a lousy coach.

Bob Stoops has lost 4 BCS games, including a national title, and several rivalry games to
Texas. Is he a lousy coach? Do you hear about his ineptitude?

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

seofan_via_dublin wrote:The notion that Tressel is not a big game coach is a false one
perpetuated by idiots like Mark May.

Up until the national title game against Florida, Tressel was known as
THE Big Game coach.

Since that game he has lost 4 games that you could consider big.

2 National Titles, one to USC, and the defacto Big Ten title game this year to PSU.

Just because he has lost a couple of games, doesn't make him a lousy coach.

Bob Stoops has lost 4 BCS games, including a national title, and several rivalry games to
Texas. Is he a lousy coach? Do you hear about his ineptitude?
I let the games(facts) tell me if he is a big game coach and no big time coach loses four big games in a row and no big game coach loses the big game like coach T. does.

whompascat
All Conference

Post by whompascat »

small time coach at a big time school he wins the games he should and desent when he plays a team with equal or better talent

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

great breakdown orestes.

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

im guessing this one will open with texas -10.

wouldnt surprise me if ut wins by 3 scores in this one. 41-20

crafty left-hander
Freshman Team

Post by crafty left-hander »

I really hate to say this but truth is truth. We have the talent to play with texas and could beat texas but we won't. Jim tressel can beat Michigan and win the big ten every year, but he won't open up the offense and take advantage of the athaletes he has available to win the big game. Texas will win due to conservative play calling once again by Jim Tressel. Hope to God I'm wrong.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

gahs4ever wrote:You people with your "conservative play calling" would have had a hissy fit watching Woody's teams win five National Championships. He approached every game as a military battle (literally) and every yard on the field was precious real estate to be fought for and defended to the death. They didnt call it three yards and a cloud of dust for nothing.

Has it ever occurred to any of you that perhaps OSU wasnt the better team in ANY of those three National Champioship games, including the one they won? Can you honestly say the OSU roster was superior to USC's this year? Wait until Penn State gets a load of the Trojans and comes back home with THEIR beat down.

OSU fans seem to think a National Championship is their birthright and that any time the Bucks get beat it is either the officiating or the coach. I've seen nine of the top ten teams in the country this year and honestly there are only a couple of them (if that) that OSU is better than on paper. They are ranked #10 for a reason.

With all the preseason hype about how many starters returned, I could only think to myself, yeah we have everybody back (Good news) but we still cant beat and SEC team or be competitive in a National Championship game (Bad news). Where is the shame in that? Reality is what it is.
Woody was great but the game has changed so much since he was coaching.

crafty left-hander
Freshman Team

gahs4ever wrote:You people with your "conservative play calling" would have had a hissy fit watching Woody's teams win five National Championships. He approached every game as a military battle (literally) and every yard on the field was precious real estate to be fought for and defended to the death. They didnt call it three yards and a cloud of dust for nothing.

Has it ever occurred to any of you that perhaps OSU wasnt the better team in ANY of those three National Champioship games, including the one they won? Can you honestly say the OSU roster was superior to USC's this year? Wait until Penn State gets a load of the Trojans and comes back home with THEIR beat down.

OSU fans seem to think a National Championship is their birthright and that any time the Bucks get beat it is either the officiating or the coach. I've seen nine of the top ten teams in the country this year and honestly there are only a couple of them (if that) that OSU is better than on paper. They are ranked #10 for a reason.

With all the preseason hype about how many starters returned, I could only think to myself, yeah we have everybody back (Good news) but we still cant beat and SEC team or be competitive in a National Championship game (Bad news). Where is the shame in that? Reality is what it is.

gahs4ever,

This is like comparing apples and oranges. Woody Hayes coached in the 50's 60's and 70's. Its not 3 yards and a cloud of dust anymore. It's a passing game now, and until he adjusts to the times we will never win the big game. And yes we are talking about OHIO STATE they are expected to win championships and that will never change. You can't expect to win it every year, but you can expect not to get blown out 2 strait years by the SEC. That is just not acceptable in Columbus. You cannot bring Woody into this conversation. Jim Tressel has way to much talent up there to just turn around and hand the ball to Beanie Wells! Is Beanie and good runner?? Yes he is an excallent runner, but not when there are 9 men in the box knowing that we are going to run a line plunge right or a line plunge left. Nobody can run that well when that many people are stacked up on the line of scrimmage, especially when your offensive line sucks. Until we mix it up and spread the field we will never beat a Texas, USC, Florida, Alabama, Oklahoma, LSU, and teams like that until we MODERNIZE our game.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Saban's Bama team has been fairly conservative.

OSU has plenty of chances to end this short slump. Beat Texas, it is over. Beat USC next year, it is over.

People are starting their review of Tressel at the Florida game and are taking it to right now. It seems totally fair to judge a coach by looking only from January of 2007 to December of 2008.

Also, do not be surprised if there are philosophical and possibly assistant coaching changes after this season. Tressel isn't stupid.

crafty left-hander
Freshman Team

Tressel is a good coach and one of the best in the game. Woody once said you can never pay a good assistant coach to much, but if you pay a bad assistant coach one penny you have paid him to much. You always have to have good assistants on your staff. Jim Tressel doesn't have good assistants on his staff. They most especially need to get rid of Jim Bollman, and Jim Haecock. He needs a big time change in coordinators.

Return to “College Sports”