rivals.com Bowl Projections

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Re: rivals.com Bowl Projections

Post by abuck76 »

I like it..........Georgia would be a fun game, and maybe an Ohio State win over the SEC........... :12224

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Ohio State's bowl game rides on the winner of Oregon State and Oregon. An Oregon win = OSU in the BCS. An Oregon State win = OSU in the Capital One Bowl. Any projection is just a guess right now as far as OSU is concerned.

fightingtigers45
S

Post by fightingtigers45 »

If Ohio State makes the BCS, it shows the BCS is a flawed system. IMO, they would only make it because of their name and the fans they can travel with. Not the quality of their team.

I think more than two teams from one conference should be able to go to the BCS. Either Texas, Oklahoma, or Texas Tech will be left out (possibly two of the above if Mizzou wins the Big 12 title game). Is OSU better than those teams? No. Is Utah? No.

Im not necessarily screaming playoff, but I dont think there should be guaranteed (Notre Dame and non conf) ties to at-large bids.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

fightingtigers45 wrote:If Ohio State makes the BCS, it shows the BCS is a flawed system. IMO, they would only make it because of their name and the fans they can travel with. Not the quality of their team.

I think more than two teams from one conference should be able to go to the BCS. Either Texas, Oklahoma, or Texas Tech will be left out (possibly two of the above if Mizzou wins the Big 12 title game). Is OSU better than those teams? No. Is Utah? No.

Im not necessarily screaming playoff, but I dont think there should be guaranteed (Notre Dame and non conf) ties to at-large bids.

Hmmm... I'm sure if OSU had 69 dropped on them people would still consider them a great team... :roll:

You might get the chance to see. The Fiesta Bowl may match up OSU and one of those Big12 teams if Oregon State loses.

I kind of like OSU's chances with the way the D has been playing, a month for Wells to heal, and a month for Pryor to get better (more time than he had in the preseason).

Oklahoma gets gushed over every season and yet they receive no grief for losing 4 straight BCS bowls with a couple being blowouts.

OSU loses 2 straight but still has a 4-2 record in BCS Bowls, and they deserve nothing when losing to only top 10 teams.

Also, the reason you don't allow 3 from one conference is because they may "seem" great because of the conference they are from. No one will know until the non-conference games, like the ACC/SEC games today.

fightingtigers45
S

Orestes wrote:
fightingtigers45 wrote:If Ohio State makes the BCS, it shows the BCS is a flawed system. IMO, they would only make it because of their name and the fans they can travel with. Not the quality of their team.

Hmmm... I'm sure if OSU had 69 dropped on them people would still consider them a great team... :roll:

You might get the chance to see. The Fiesta Bowl may match up OSU and one of those Big12 teams if Oregon State loses.

I kind of like OSU's chances with the way the D has been playing, a month for Wells to heal, and a month for Pryor to get better (more time than he had in the preseason).

Oklahoma gets gushed over every season and yet they receive no grief for losing 4 straight BCS bowls with a couple being blowouts.

OSU loses 2 straight but still has a 4-2 record in BCS Bowls, and they deserve nothing when losing to only top 10 teams.

Also, the reason you don't allow 3 from one conference is because they may "seem" great because of the conference they are from. No one will know until the non-conference games, like the ACC/SEC games today.

Youre right, they drop 69. The defenses are for the most part, terrible. But, the offenses are pretty dag on good.

I understand the three from one conference ordeal, but this season, it is necessary.

Id like to see the ten teams in the BCS be:

Bama, Florida, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, USC, Utah, Penn State, Cincy, ACC Winner (FSU/BC/VT). If Oregon State were to win the Pac 10, then take out Penn State. IMO, thats the best games.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

fightingtigers45 wrote:
Orestes wrote:

Youre right, they drop 69. The defenses are for the most part, terrible. But, the offenses are pretty dag on good.

I understand the three from one conference ordeal, but this season, it is necessary.

Id like to see the ten teams in the BCS be:

Bama, Florida, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, USC, Utah, Penn State, Cincy, ACC Winner (FSU/BC/VT). If Oregon State were to win the Pac 10, then take out Penn State. IMO, thats the best games.

But if you're going to add another from one conference, the same argument could be made for not allowing a team like Cincy from the Big East. How about Utah with a two point win over Michigan?

The rules are in place before the season and these bowl committees want an attractive match-up that brings ratings and butts in the seats. When OSU is on, the TVs are tuned in. My friend in the TV business told me that their data demonstrates that USC and OSU consistently draw the best TV ratings in college football. OSU also travels well. I guarantee you that the bowl committees would like to take OSU regardless of the outcome of tonight's games. They are Ducks fans tonight.

huedawg
JV Team

Post by huedawg »

OSU will get the call for the FIESTA BOWL . I called this one at the start of the year :-D

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

The BCS system isn't designed to give the bowls other than the title game a great matchup.

It is designed to get the two teams ranked #1 and #2 into the same game,
and that is absolutely it!!!

The bowl committees are responsible for the tie-ins and the at-large selection.

The BCS rules give guidelines for making the at-large picks,
and give rules for allowing a mid-major or independent into a BCS level bowl.

So long as Ohio State and USC qualify for a BCS game with their wins and their
ranking, they will always make a BCS game.

The games are set up to make a profit, the Fiesta Bowl will always lean toward OSU
as an at-large bid because they put butts in seats. They don't even have to travel.
OSU has 40,000 alumni within a 150 mile radius of Glendale, Arizona.

You don't have to like it, but you should accept it. OSU draws attention and fills seats and TV sets.

fightingtigers45
S

Dubs,

I accept it. I know they do. Its a huge fan base, and they can put people in the seats with ease.

However, I just dont think they should make it if they dont DESERVE to be there. Although they tied for first, they are second best in their mediocre conference (proved by on-field play). Penn State deserves to be there, yes. But not the Buckeyes. Not this year. All other years they have made it, they have deserved it. Not 2008.

3morethan2
Varsity

Post by 3morethan2 »

what i dont get is why ohio state lossed to usc 38-3 given the fact that beanie didnt play and they dropped what 10 or more spots then texas tech gets demolished by oklahoma and drops only 5 spots

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

I don't care what conference your from, when a team can put 60,000 in the seats and 80,000 in the streets, that is who I want in my bowl game. Money talks and well you know the rest.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

Personally I would rather see the Buckeyes in the Capital One Bowl against Georgia.

Here's why.

If we go to the Fiesta Bowl it will be against Oklahoma or Texas (baring a catastrophe putting Mizzu in the game)
I don't think the Buckeyes can beat either of those two teams right now.

I would much rather the Buckeyes take their chances with a good SEC school in a Jan 1 bowl
and get the win, than have them get beat down in another high profile BCS game.
I think it would serve the Buckeyes more going into next year with a win against an SEC school,
than another loss in a BCS game.

Now, if the Buckeyes can go into a BCS game right now and win, then give me that any day of the week.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

You guys are missing another valuable point. OSU will fill the stadium, but they will also take another 10,000 to the host city, that wont even go to the game. The $$$ pumped into a local economy is staggering. Can Boise do that? How about Ball State? The system is the system. It wont change anytime soon.

fightingtigers45
S

Im not doubting any of this.

If I was the one running the Fiesta Bowl or what have you, I would love to have Ohio State in my bowl. However, as a viewer of the bowl games, I would rather have another team. Ohio State is a good team, but IMO, they dont deserve the BCS. I would rather see Boise in there again.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

fightingtigers45 wrote:Im not doubting any of this.

If I was the one running the Fiesta Bowl or what have you, I would love to have Ohio State in my bowl. However, as a viewer of the bowl games, I would rather have another team. Ohio State is a good team, but IMO, they dont deserve the BCS. I would rather see Boise in there again.

Based on this?

A 2006 win after using every trick on the book against Oklahoma who has lost 4 straight BCS games.

Or in 2008....

Sagarin ratings of Boise's opponents...

Idaho State - 208
Bowling Green - 83
Oregon - 20
La. Tech - 94
So. Miss - 80
Hawaii - 84
NM State - 145
San Jose St - 103
Utah St - 114
Idaho - 162
Nevada - 62
Fresno - 85

So, ya...that's an average of 103.33...I can see why they're hanging their hat on that ONE GAME vs. Oregon (Oregon's QB was out and their Defense sucks.. not a good combo)...as that's easily all they have. Their schedule isn't just bad, it's putrid. It's like in school, having one legit exam (Oregon) and 11 open book tests...

Not that the Big 10 is any great shakes...but give me a break Boise State...

I like Boise State...they've got a nice little program, but, they need to do what Gonzaga does in hoops, and what Fresno State does in football...SCHEDULE UP in the OUT OF CONFERENCE in order to gain overall legitimacy.

Fresno State put 3 BCS league teams on their schedule this year (Wisconsin, Rutgers and UCLA....not world beaters, but still the effort was there). Idaho State, Oregon, Bowling Green and Southern Miss is not much of an effort to really make the SoS legitimate...and therefore have a stronger case if you're up for a BCS at large spot.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Personally, I'd love to see a Texas-Ohio State Fiesta Bowl. I think Wells could have a huge day against the Longhorns and I think Texas' running game (or lack thereof) could possibly make OSU's defense look very good.
Not saying the Buckeyes would win, but I would expect a very competitive game....
OSU is 1-0 against Colt McCoy, you know :122249

fightingtigers45
S

Orestes wrote:
fightingtigers45 wrote:Im not doubting any of this.

Based on this?

A 2006 win after using every trick on the book against Oklahoma who has lost 4 straight BCS games.

Or in 2008....

Sagarin ratings of Boise's opponents...

Idaho State - 208
Bowling Green - 83
Oregon - 20
La. Tech - 94
So. Miss - 80
Hawaii - 84
NM State - 145
San Jose St - 103
Utah St - 114
Idaho - 162
Nevada - 62
Fresno - 85

So, ya...that's an average of 103.33...I can see why they're hanging their hat on that ONE GAME vs. Oregon (Oregon's QB was out and their Defense sucks.. not a good combo)...as that's easily all they have. Their schedule isn't just bad, it's putrid. It's like in school, having one legit exam (Oregon) and 11 open book tests...

Not that the Big 10 is any great shakes...but give me a break Boise State...

I like Boise State...they've got a nice little program, but, they need to do what Gonzaga does in hoops, and what Fresno State does in football...SCHEDULE UP in the OUT OF CONFERENCE in order to gain overall legitimacy.

Fresno State put 3 BCS league teams on their schedule this year (Wisconsin, Rutgers and UCLA....not world beaters, but still the effort was there). Idaho State, Oregon, Bowling Green and Southern Miss is not much of an effort to really make the SoS legitimate...and therefore have a stronger case if you're up for a BCS at large spot.

Youre very right. The schedule they played was almost pathetic. They should have scheduled atleast one more BCS conference school. However, Boise tried that in the past and it did not work out well for them (see: Georgia). I, personally, am not sure if they are better than Ohio State. Also, if they had not gone there and played that great game against Oklahoma, then I probably wouldnt be tooting their horn. They were America's Sweetheart that year, and I want to see if they can do it again. That is my reasoning. Not because they proved it on the field, necessarily. But, they did win all their games and one of them was against a top 20 football team.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ TAKE THIS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT, WE ARE FRIENDS, I DON'T WANT TO OFFEND YOU. but heck yes, the system is flawed. i remember several years ago, florida state had 4 losses , and got the first bcs bid. why, because the game was in the south, and they travel well. florida, whom you adore, i have no problem with that. was the first team, 2 years ago, to play for a bcs title with 2 losses. now let me switch gears. whats right about say last year. penn state, playing texas a&m, at the san antonio dome. or usc having a home field advantage in a rose bowl game, when it seats over 110.000 people and they release 15,000 visitors seats to be sold. and if bcs, equals butts in seats. why not play games in the horseshoe , the big house, beaver stadium, in happy valley, or tennessee. not just in florida, texas, and california. check last years bowl games, see how many teams from those states , played in their own state. whats right about a buckeye . that is used to sub-zero temps. by mid dec. and take them to play for a national championship, against lsu, a bayou team, that is in the same time frame maybe having 78/81. degree temps. then stuff the buckeyes in a dome thats probably 75 degrees , before you pack the new orleans superdome. yes, there is alot wrong with the system. obama wants a change. maybe he can influence it. it was enough of a priority that he mentioned it. so maybe he can. the only part of your comment i disagree with was when you said, and i quote is osu better than those teams, no. is utah, no. LET UTAH HAVE THE CHANCE TO FIND OUT, NOBODY THOUGHT BOISE STATE COULD PLAY WITH OKLAHOMA EITHER, BUT BOISE WON. hey , they went undefeated. what about ball state this year. yes, it's come to the point, that we'll always have an entertaining national championship game, but did the right 2 get there. one only needs to look several years back to see what happened to auburn, unbeaten, and no shot. if the sec, is the best conference. then how did their schedule not get them there.this is all from memory , but i think i'm right. do we need a playoff. what other major sports does not. i think they can make just as much money with a playoff system, as what we have now. but is it about the money, or getting the right 2 teams, in the national championship games. a playoff is the only way to do that. ytb.
Last edited by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT on Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

everybody needs to keep this in mind. the bcs, takes the top 10 teams. ohio state is currently ranked 10, and do not play another regular season game. with them not playing and conference championships going on , mark my words, they will drop out of the top 10. without losing. barring a total disaster in the top 9.

that is why we need notre dame in the big ten, i know they have 11 teams all ready but who cares. notre dame is in the heartland of the big ten. that would give us 12 teams. put 6 each , in two different conferences. then we have a conference championship game late season, and are still in the voters eyes, then we will not be off 50 days before we play our bowl game, and notre dame now would have a permanent home, and be able to play for conference teams, and other honors.

Return to “College Sports”