OSU / The Big Ten Title / and a Rose Bowl Bid

ballparent
S

OSU / The Big Ten Title / and a Rose Bowl Bid

Post by ballparent »

So what's our chances....after a disappointing season, at least with all the expectations everyone had, of gaining at least a share of the Big Ten Title and a Rose bowl bid?

Well, the Buckeyes have to win their next two games against Illinois and Michigan, have to, or there's no discussion, we'd end the Big Ten season at 7-1.

Michigan State currently at 6-1 doesn't have a game next week, their final game against Penn State...we want them to win, which would give them a final tally of 7-1, tied with us and due to their loss to us earlier in the season, OSU would take the Rose Bowl bid and share the title.

Penn State currently at 5-1 needs to win both their games to end the Big Ten season at 7-1, tied with us and due to our loss to them earlier in the season they would take the Rose Bowl bid and share the title.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA
Last edited by ballparent on Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

3morethan2
Varsity

Re: OSU and The Big Ten Title

Post by 3morethan2 »

if michigan state were to win there remaining big ten games including penn state and so does ohio state then michigan state would win because they didnt play a subdivision opponent like ohio state did when they played youngstown st.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

That is not how it works. Even though you beat them head-to-head, you would still share the title. Yo would get the rose bowl nod probably, but it would still be a shared title.

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

peake wrote:That is not how it works. Even though you beat them head-to-head, you would still share the title. Yo would get the rose bowl nod probably, but it would still be a shared title.

Sorry peake, what the freak was I thinking!!!??? I really considered not posting at all because I knew you'd dive in for whatever reason. Let me clarify so yo can feel all warm and fuzzy that you are once again right in your all-knowing world that you remind us all of constantly. All bow down to peake...and what was it you did again? :lol: Besides post your abilities on a Southern Ohio Prep board?? Now have at it....

If there is a tie depending on who it's with, the winner of the game, if played between the two during the regular season, would get the Rose Bowl bid.

Method to Determine Big Ten Conference Automatic Representative to Bowl Championship Series

Effective for bowl games following the 2006-09 regular football seasons, the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) will consist of five (5) bowl games: BCS National Championship Game, Rose Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, Orange Bowl, and Sugar Bowl. Participation by a Big Ten Conference member institution will be determined as follows:

BCS National Championship Game. In the event the conference has one or two football teams ranked No. 1 and/or No. 2 in the final BCS poll, these conference team(s) shall participate in the BCS National Championship Game.

Rose Bowl. Unless ranked No. 1 or No. 2 in the final BCS poll, the conference champion shall participate in the Rose Bowl. The championship shall be determined on the percentage basis of conference games (tie games counts ½ win and ½ loss). If there is a tie for the championship, the Rose Bowl representative will be determined as follows:
An ineligible team shall not be considered in the standings for determination of the conference representative.
If there is a tie for the championship, the winner of the game between these two teams shall represent the conference.
If there is still a tie for the championship, or if the tied teams did not play each other, the team that played more games against Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) teams shall be eliminated.
If there is still a tie, or if the tied teams did not play each other, or if both teams played the same number of games against an FCS team(s), the representative shall be determined on the percentage basis of all games played.
If there is still a tie, the most recent team earning BCS automatic selection shall be eliminated.
If more than two teams tie for the championship, the same selection procedures shall be followed with the following exceptions:
If three teams are tied, and if one team defeated both of the other teams, then that team shall be the representative.
If three teams are still tied, and if two of the three teams defeated the third team, the third team is eliminated, and the remaining two teams shall revert to the two-team tie procedure.
If three teams are still tied, and there is a tie game between two of the three teams, or if two or all three of the teams did not play each other, the representative shall be determined on a percentage basis of all games played except, if one or two of the tied teams played more games against an FCS opponent than the other tied teams, then said team or teams shall be eliminated, and the remaining two teams, if applicable, shall revert to the two-team tie procedure.
If three teams are still tied, and one of the three teams is eliminated through the percentage basis of all games played, the remaining two teams shall revert to the two-team tie procedure.
If three teams are still tied, and all three teams have the same winning percentage of all games played, the most recent team representing the conference shall be eliminated, and the two remaining teams shall revert to the two-team tie procedure.
If four or more teams tie for the championship, the following selection procedure shall be followed:
If one team defeated each of the other three teams, then that team shall be the representative.
If two of the four teams defeated each of the other two teams, the latter two teams shall be eliminated, and the two remaining teams shall revert to the two-team tie procedure.
If three of the four teams defeated the fourth team, the fourth team is eliminated, and the remaining three teams shall revert to the three-team tie procedure.
If there is a tie game between two of the four teams, or if two of the four teams did not play each other, the representative shall be determined on a percentage of all games played, except, if one or more of the tied teams played more games against an FCS opponent than the other tied teams, then said teams shall be eliminated, and the remaining teams, if applicable, shall revert to the two- or three-team tie procedure.
If one of the four teams is eliminated through the percentage of all games played, the remaining three teams shall revert to the three-team tie procedure.
If all four teams are still tied and have the same winning percentage of all games played, the most recent team representing the conference shall be eliminated and the three remaining teams shall revert to the three-team tie procedure.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

3morethan2 wrote:if michigan state were to win there remaining big ten games including penn state and so does ohio state then michigan state would win because they didnt play a subdivision opponent like ohio state did when they played youngstown st.

That was only the case in a three way tie between OSU, PSU, and MSU.
We would have beat each other, all three would be co-big ten champs,
and MSU would have been Rose Bowl bound.

If the tie is between OSU and MSU, then we are co-big ten champs,
and by virtue of the win against MSU, the Buckeyes will be in Pasadena.

Hopefully, MSU gets the win, other wise the Buckeyes are looking at a non-BCS bowl game.

Going to be very hard to get two Big Ten teams in with the Buckeyes past two performances.
Though I still think there should be two in from the Big 12, SEC, and Big 10.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

BCS Bowls make their selections based on butts in the seats and TV ratings. OSU brings all of that to the table.

Oregon State winning out or losing one will determine Ohio State's fate IF the Buckeyes win out.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

ballparent
tied with us and due to their loss to us earlier in the season, OSU would take the title.

Penn State currently at 5-1 needs to win both their games to end the Big Ten season at 7-1, tied with us and due to our loss to them earlier in the season they would take the title.

This is inaccurate as I stated. No matter what happends if each team has a single loss, those teams will be co-champions. You can get the bid, but you are still co-champions. I know how this works, same thing happend with Michigan and Iowa in 2004. They were both co-champions, but UM won the head-to-head, so they represented the Big Ten in the Rose Bowl.

As long as PSU keeps winning, and they should, they will represent the Big Ten in the Rose Bowl. I am well aware of how it works.

Thank you for your insight and all of your knowledge. I know if there is any a time I need advice or insight into college football I will come to you. Maybe your days of playing in the back yard with your brothers will further inspire everyone out there that they to can insult someone and think that they know something about football. :lol: :oops: :roll:

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Jut like the 05 season.

PSU and OSU finished tied for the title
PSU beat OSU head to head.
Both teams get to claim the title.
PSU got the auto-bid to the BCS,
this was the Orange Bowl that year because the
Rose was the title game.
OSU got an At-Large big to play Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl.

All the Buckeyes have to do is win their next two games,
then they can claim their 4th straight title/
05: Co-Champs w/PSU
06: Sole Champs
07: Sole Champs
08: Co-Champs w/PSU or MSU

ballparent
S

Re: OSU / The Big Ten Title / and a Rose Bowl Bid

Post by ballparent »

I went back and edited my original post to appease individuals that seem to "know it all" or "think they do" and constantly glorifies himself to posters and belittle their posts even to the point of calling them ignorant. These comments were gathered very quickly from the first half of the front page and were directed at several different posters.

“I know how this works”

“I told everyone sooner or later”

“Doubt all you want, I could care less. I have a soon-to-be brother in law who works in the athletic department, contacts with several insiders (michiganscout). This story has been out there for quite some time. There was a very very very similar story posted on michigan.scout.com. The difference were a few details I was given.Like I have stated before I work freelance for scout, work/worked in media, so it pays to know people. It is what it is. That is why I said take it at face value. Give me more details than I have brought to you and didn't have to, than you can question my accountability.”

“claim to be? lol. Anyone who knows me knows this is a fact.”

“85 your posts are ignorant.”

“You are a typical a-hole fan that has nothing to add to the board except hand out insults about a team that you make no educated statements about.”

“I say you have no knowledge of what you are saying because you have made statements that were false already.”

“Yes I do think his comments are ignorant. He said no coach at Michgian has lost ot PSU. That is ignorant. He said that Carr always coached Michgian teams in January bowls, that is wrong, so in my eyes yes that is ignorant.”

“Ok, whatever. I hold your opinion about as high as I hold a cheeseburgers.”

“Well, you really didn't say one educated thing. You don't know one person who is in the know at Michigan so you are speculating. You were wrong with your analogies, you were wrong with some of your history. You just one of those people who enjoy hearing themselves talk and thinking they are correct.”

“I think you need to go back, do a little research, and maybe restructure what you are saying.”

“you first post and you choose to waste our time with that?!?! Welcome.”

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Thank you! You have saved me a lot of time. Now I don't have to go back and repeat myself. Of those posts I would have to guess that a good majority of those posts are derogative posts about Michigan. When someone comes onto a UM thread and says UM sucks, than they will get a response as such.

Saying "I know how it works" is an insult? You are too much.

The sooner or later response was about a UM player. Who else is going to bring you the information about Michigan that I do. Please feel free ballparent, I am sure you have plenty of contacts that will give you the inside scoop from your playing days in the backyard.

The next quote is in response to people who are trying to discredit me and say I am just another poster. I am just another poster, but one who has contacts. I also said take my post for what it is worth. I have yet to see one person post a story that is as detailed as mine.

The claim to be quote was in response to a poster saying I didn't work at Marshall. Anyone wasnts to PM me I will give you plenty of links of story's I have written or broadcasts that have been podcasted.

85 was attacking Michigan and his facts were false. Ignorant= not knowing.

Next statement was another attack on Michigan.

I don't have to defend myself...... You obviously can't take constructive criticism. This is a public sports forum, welcome to the world of internet sports.

Thanks again for going off subject and trying to discredit me or paint me a certain way. You would be a great politician, btw nice job taking some of my quotes and making them snippet quotes.

Life is tough, get a helmet. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

peake wrote:Thank you! You have saved me a lot of time. Now I don't have to go back and repeat myself. Of those posts I would have to guess that a good majority of those posts are derogative posts about Michigan. When someone comes onto a UM thread and says UM sucks, than they will get a response as such.

Saying "I know how it works" is an insult? You are too much.

The sooner or later response was about a UM player. Who else is going to bring you the information about Michigan that I do. Please feel free ballparent, I am sure you have plenty of contacts that will give you the inside scoop from your playing days in the backyard.

The next quote is in response to people who are trying to discredit me and say I am just another poster. I am just another poster, but one who has contacts. I also said take my post for what it is worth. I have yet to see one person post a story that is as detailed as mine. :roll: :lol:

The claim to be quote was in response to a poster saying I didn't work at Marshall. Anyone wasnts to PM me I will give you plenty of links of story's I have written or broadcasts that have been podcasted.

85 was attacking Michigan and his facts were false. Ignorant= not knowing.

Next statement was another attack on Michigan.

I don't have to defend myself...... You obviously can't take constructive criticism. This is a public sports forum, welcome to the world of internet sports.

Thanks again for going off subject and trying to discredit me or paint me a certain way. You would be a great politician, btw nice job taking some of my quotes and making them snippet quotes.

Life is tough, get a helmet. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is great, you just made an entire post supporting my comment that you can't get off the "I know it all" mode.... you even "know it all" and had to prove it with the condescending comments you make to other posters. You have a select few who you deem to be worthy of your respect, even though it borders on barely minimal with them but they seem glad to get it :roll: , any other posters you grasp at any hint of something that you can declare that "you know it all " about and make sure they know it and give a play by play of your sources and your many stripes bearing your credibility and no, this isn't always prompted by a Michigan comment, you throw your attitude around pretty much everywhere. You're rude and arrogant, not just to me, frequently to any number of posters on the college board, and if you knew even a smidgen of what we all constantly hear that you think you know, then you would be coaching a team somewhere, geez, they'd be lining up at your door. There's those that know, and do, and then there's the rest of us that post on prep boards. :lol:

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Anyways, I really hope that either PSU or OSU win the title/share, because MSU's resume is hilarious. Thier defining wins are over an average Notre Dame team and a bad Michigan team. At least with a PSU or OSU title winner, the BIg Ten won't make themselves look too bad when one of the two has to play/lose to USC (unless Oregon St. wins out).

RiverRatZap
SEOPS

Post by RiverRatZap »

If Penn State and tOSU win out, I can see tOSU going to the Orange Bowl. Could it be a 2002 rematch with Miami?

all-time athlete
JV Team

Post by all-time athlete »

RiverRatZap wrote:If Penn State and tOSU win out, I can see tOSU going to the Orange Bowl. Could it be a 2002 rematch with Miami?

If that does happen it will be the most boring game ever!!!...you think OSU these past 2 years have looked bad against florida and lsu, OSU would score florida's final score by half-time against Miami :oops: :oops:

fightingtigers45
S

Post by fightingtigers45 »

all-time athlete wrote:
RiverRatZap wrote:If Penn State and tOSU win out, I can see tOSU going to the Orange Bowl. Could it be a 2002 rematch with Miami?

If that does happen it will be the most boring game ever!!!...you think OSU these past 2 years have looked bad against florida and lsu, OSU would score florida's final score by half-time against Miami :oops: :oops:

If you mean the 41 Florida scored against tOSU, then that statement is simply not true. If you mean the 26 Florida scored against Miami, then it is plausible. Miami's defense is shaky. It is young and has talent all over the field, but it forgets to show up some games. Some games, it looks like the Miami of the early 2000s (see: Florida, first 3 quarters). Also, Ohio State's offense isnt the greatest thing since sliced bread as it was a few years ago. Miami could stack the box against OSU and rely on their corners against OSUs WRs like other teams have done (see: Penn State). OSU's offense has looked putrid at times for the talent they have on the field. Maybe its playcalling, or maybe its because TP is still young. Either way, to say OSU would drop 41 on anyone at halftime is definitely a stretch.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

doesnt the team that been there the last get passed over for the other team :?:

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

only in the case that the two teams tied, haven't played each other
in the regular season, and they are still tied after several tie-breakers.

See Northwestern going to Rose Bowl in 95 over a tied with Ohio State.

RiverRatZap
SEOPS

Post by RiverRatZap »

all-time athlete wrote:

If Miami wins their conference and Ohio State is an at-large BCS berth. You don't think the Orange Bowl committee would be interested in a rematch of the 2002 national championship game? I can't predict what kind of game it would be, but I bet those committe members would see $$$ signs.

all-time athlete
JV Team

Post by all-time athlete »

fightingtigers45 wrote:
all-time athlete wrote:

If you mean the 41 Florida scored against tOSU, then that statement is simply not true. If you mean the 26 Florida scored against Miami, then it is plausible. Miami's defense is shaky. It is young and has talent all over the field, but it forgets to show up some games. Some games, it looks like the Miami of the early 2000s (see: Florida, first 3 quarters). Also, Ohio State's offense isnt the greatest thing since sliced bread as it was a few years ago. Miami could stack the box against OSU and rely on their corners against OSUs WRs like other teams have done (see: Penn State). OSU's offense has looked putrid at times for the talent they have on the field. Maybe its playcalling, or maybe its because TP is still young. Either way, to say OSU would drop 41 on anyone at halftime is definitely a stretch.

Well clearly 41 by half is a stretch...basically what I was trying to say is it would be a very boring game by half-time!

Return to “College Sports”