Did OSU run it up against Northwestern????

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Did OSU run it up against Northwestern????

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

Andre Ware was quick during the broadcast to rip Tressel for the fake punt up 21 points. He felt OSU was running up the score by faking a punt around midfield with 8:00 or so left in the game.

Did anyone agree with Ware that OSU ran it up?

I personally felt there was nothing wrong with the fake punt and the score that followed it. I would rather have seen OSU take a knee than score that last TD in the final seconds.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Re: Did OSU run it up against Northwestern????

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

Things can turn around so quickly in a college game that a 21 point lead isn't safe with 8:00 left. On the other hand, if OSU doesn't convert the fake punt NW has great field position and OSU would have still been in a dogfight.

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

whether they did or not there's no use in crying about it by anybody (be it the other team, announcers, etc.) because if the NW is really that upset about it, they play in the same conference so there's always next year and the year after and the year after to get payback...if they're man enough ;-)

Just_A_Fan
Varsity

Post by Just_A_Fan »

I think its kinda runing up the score but you could look at it this way. Its our job to score TD's and its yours to stop me

Yossarian
Freshman Team

Post by Yossarian »

Tressel was not happy about the last score, other than that no foul. I agree with the post about killer instinct. OSU has not been a good closer in most cases.

RVRaiderFan
All State

Post by RVRaiderFan »

Andre Ware is a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus, he's not the only announcer or ESPN person that said it was running up the score!!! :mad: :mad:

The funny thing is.....had this been Florida, or Alabama, or USC, or Texas, etc....they would have just said they were a powerful offense putting up big style points....but when OSU does it......running up the score......you just gotta LAUGH!!!!

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

It's about time coach T. did things the way most coaches do thanks to the computer system we have in place that makes it a sexier win , when you run up the score.

USAF_Defender23
Varsity

Post by USAF_Defender23 »

The fake punt was okay with me to get a 21 point comfortable lead. The score at the end wasn't needed but how can you tell a guy that gets little playing time to just get the ball and fall down. He took the hand off got some blocks and made what he could. I agree though, if this were any other team it would "look at this team they can't be stopped!" This late in the season Ohio St needs these style points to get a shot at a BCS game.

tomcat fan
All Conference

Post by tomcat fan »

i was happy to see tress coach aggressively for once, hopefully he keeps it up

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

take a knee

Sawdust
Freshman Team

Post by Sawdust »

Did you see the look on the 'Vest's face after the last score? Clearly not what he wanted. But, the weenies were in and it was up to NW's first team defense to stop a simple run play up the middle! In hindsight, I think Tress wished he would have called the victory formation.
And I'm not even going to comment on the ignorant ramblings by one of the NFL's biggest wastes of a draft choice.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Ok... lets take a stroll down memory lane:

2005 - OSU 48 NW 7

2006 - OSU 54 NW 10

2007 - OSU 58 NW 7

...and the latest installment:

2008 - OSU 45 NW 10

Average Score: 51 - 8

Conclusion: Who cares? What's an extra score when the last 4 years look like they do? You've been outscored 205-34 the last 4 years and you're whinning about a TD?

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

Andre Ware calls out Tress for running it up.

Mussberger and Herbie laugh it up when Texas Tech PASS for another TD
with 2 minutes and change left increasing their lead to over 30.

It's not a Buckeye problem, it's an announcer problem.

Ohio State had what backup O-Linemen they have left in the game,
they had Beokman at QB, and Herron at RB. It's not the backups job
to go in and lay down.

USC, TEXAS, Oklahoma, Texas, Tech, Florida, Penn St., Missouri,
Georgia, LSU, Bama.

None of those schools have called off any of the dogs, why should the Buckeyes.

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

up 38-10... 16 sec??? left in game??? TAKE A KNEE

mohawkbaseball#1
All Conference

Post by mohawkbaseball#1 »

theassassin wrote:up 38-10... 16 sec??? left in game??? TAKE A KNEE

that was the only score that would be "running up" the score..... the guy on ESPN was saying they were running up the score with like 8 minutes left in the game

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Eh. OSU had all of their subs in while NW was still playing starters. On top of that, OSU ran it in on a run up the middle from 20+ yards out. I guess the 2nd teamers shouldn't get the excitement of game reps?

Hmmm... of course a person with a distaste for OSU will post on this board that they should have taken a knee. I would expect nothing less.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

As long as there is time on the clock, the game is still being played, period. Ware proved what a second string, wash-up, wannabe he is with his whining after the fake punt. Sorry, the game is a defined number of minutes, and your play your butts off the entire time that there are seconds on the clock.

You know, there are things that should be done, when games are out of hand, but this game was never "out-of-hand". You have 4th down at mid-field, 8 minutes to go, what a perfect time to run a fake punt? Jesus, you've got a kid punting who was all-Ohio as a running back, for cryin' out loud.

The way I recall, and my memory is very clear, Woody didn't think twice about racking up 60 to 70 points against the wildcats every year. Now all of a sudden, it is a cardinal sin to continue to try to score, when there is time still left on the clock?

I've said it time and time again, we now have the mentality that we now live in "the United States of the aggrieved, the home of the offended". I just want to wretch every time I hear all of these people griping about crap such as the topic of this thread......

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

game was over when they ran the fake punt. defense was playing good. it was pretty classless. then throwing on the next possession was definitely bush league, all they had to do was use some running plays to milk the clock. the last td was a total accident but looked bad for the program. for the record i do dislike the buckeyes, but i guess when you can take that much pride in beating nortwestern, your priorities are mixed up anyway. have fun watching the title game on tv.

mohawkbaseball#1
All Conference

Post by mohawkbaseball#1 »

qualified101 wrote:game was over when they ran the fake punt. defense was playing good. it was pretty classless. then throwing on the next possession was definitely bush league, all they had to do was use some running plays to milk the clock. the last td was a total accident but looked bad for the program. for the record i do dislike the buckeyes, but i guess when you can take that much pride in beating nortwestern, your priorities are mixed up anyway. have fun watching the title game on tv.

when teams from the big 12 and SEC put 50's-60's up on opponents it's ok but OSU does it people freak out

Return to “College Sports”