OSU vs. Michigan

98jettakeoff
Waterboy

OSU vs. Michigan

Post by 98jettakeoff »

For second Saturday in a row in the 'State Up North', Buckeyes offensive impatience a killer.
Against early game adversity, OSU starts pumping up threes and outside shots, without so
much as a look inside at Jared Sullinger. Michigan could not really knock OSU out until
late, as the Buckeyes for the second Saturday in a row, cannot hit anything outside
the paint, save tonight for Deshaun Thomas. On the road, when Buckeyes fall behind,
they seem to have a tendency to panic a bit, and forget about playing to their strengths.
The lack of bench play is another negatively developing element as the Buckeyes
continue to drop nationally (and seed-wise) very late in the season.

Peake
SEOP

Re: OSU vs. Michigan

Post by Peake »

OSU missed the boat on Mr. Burke. All I need to say.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

The Buckeyes looked flat against Michigan and I totally agree about not showing enough patience on the offensive end. They (OSU) shot a whopping 3 of 16 from three point land, but UM shot 3 of 13 from long distance as well. I would have liked to see them get the ball inside to Sullinger more instead of rushing their offense and settling for the outside shots. The Buckeyes out rebounded the Wolverines 34 to 25 and had 8 more offensive boards (12 to 4). However, turnovers played a factor, especially the offensive fouls (5 total) that were called against OSU. They just couldn't put a run together and was unable to gain any sustained momentum.

The last two games OSU has sputtered on the offensive end of the court and really appears to be struggling to find anything that resembles team chemistry or rhythm. I hope they can get out of this rut and and put it back together for a deep tourney run.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

peake wrote:OSU missed the boat on Mr. Burke. All I need to say.
I am a big fan of Craft, but the Columbus product Burke really outplayed him in all aspects of the game. Burke is probably one of the best Freshman PGs that I have watched this year and yes sir.....OSU missed out on this one!

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Yes, no disrespect to Craft who is a very good defender.

Burke has handled every PG in the league this season.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Got to admit I wasn't that worried after the loss to M-State,but this one has me a little worried,if they keep shooting 38 percent they won't make it past the second round of the NCAA,seems a lot of the shots were short which could indicate fatigue,Matta needs to get more players on the bench involved whether they are ready or not,the starting five is wearing down late in the season IMO

shoelace
JV Team

Post by shoelace »

Bad officials and ESPN hates OSU........thats the usual response after a football or basketball loss

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

Shoelace wrote:Bad officials and ESPN hates OSU........thats the usual response after a football or basketball loss
So far you are the only one mentioning officials and ESPN. I am assuming that you anticipated this type of response, but since no one supported your claim....you said it for them. :roll:

OSU has simply been outplayed and out performed the past two games. I hope that they can get things turned around before tourney time.

shoelace
JV Team

Post by shoelace »

Lol it was tongue n cheek...the first few losses that was the buckeye battle cry

VegasEagle
Varsity

Post by VegasEagle »

Shoelace wrote:Lol it was tongue n cheek...the first few losses that was the buckeye battle cry
Oh it wasnt Refs or anything like that they just flat got beat im sorry but OSU isnt that good.....They Played their national championship game against Duke and they peaked to soon...

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

VegasEagle wrote:
Shoelace wrote:Lol it was tongue n cheek...the first few losses that was the buckeye battle cry
Oh it wasnt Refs or anything like that they just flat got beat im sorry but OSU isnt that good.....They Played their national championship game against Duke and they peaked to soon...
Don't give up on the Buckeyes too soon Vegas. I believe they can get the kinks worked out during the Big10 tourney and be prepared to make a strong run in the dance. I am just curious to what seed they will wind up getting. I was hoping they would end up getting a 2 seed, but that is out of the question now unless they win the Big10 tourney...and then it isn't a guarantee.

However, I do agree with you and Also think the Buckeyes peaked too soon and are now struggling to find any rhythm. They seem to be going through the motions.

VegasEagle
Varsity

Post by VegasEagle »

Hoggy wrote:
VegasEagle wrote:
Don't give up on the Buckeyes too soon Vegas. I believe they can get the kinks worked out during the Big10 tourney and be prepared to make a strong run in the dance. I am just curious to what seed they will wind up getting. I was hoping they would end up getting a 2 seed, but that is out of the question now unless they win the Big10 tourney...and then it isn't a guarantee.

However, I do agree with you and Also think the Buckeyes peaked too soon and are now struggling to find any rhythm. They seem to be going through the motions.
Well they better patch that hole soon because the ships going down fast lol.Sully needs to get a little tougher imo he has became soft and has put all the weight back on he lost..And dont get me started on Buford.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

The thing that sticks out with me is the outside shooting,nobody has been able to fill the void left by Diebler and Lighty and that surprises me,Buford has been throwing up bricks most of the year and I'm sure Matta was expecting him to help fill that void, Craft can hit shots but he is more comfortable penetrating ,they don't really have a true big man so they got to get the ball to Sullinger as much as possible and he might even be their best outside shooter at this point along with Thomas,if either of those guys gets in foul trouble where are they going to come up with points?

VegasEagle
Varsity

Post by VegasEagle »

C-Bolt wrote:The thing that sticks out with me is the outside shooting,nobody has been able to fill the void left by Diebler and Lighty and that surprises me,Buford has been throwing up bricks most of the year and I'm sure Matta was expecting him to help fill that void, Craft can hit shots but he is more comfortable penetrating ,they don't really have a true big man so they got to get the ball to Sullinger as much as possible and he might even be their best outside shooter at this point along with Thomas,if either of those guys gets in foul trouble where are they going to come up with points?
Agree Bolt also dont forget the leadership role that Diebler and Lighty filled we need someone to step up and take charge

frank-n-beans
Varsity

Post by frank-n-beans »

peake wrote:OSU missed the boat on Mr. Burke. All I need to say.
Well, he wasn't a Mr. Basketball for any state so therefore he was eliminated as a recruit. But he can BALL. OSU lacks any leadership and has ZERO toughness. Playground ball won't get you far in the tourney. I say OSU loses in the 2nd round.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

actually he was Mr. Basketball for Ohio.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Yep he won it last year,Northland has been Mr.Baskeball 3 years in row now.

frank-n-beans
Varsity

Post by frank-n-beans »

Wow, I wasn't aware of that. Matta really did screw this one up then. Or maybe he figured he had enough kids from Northland on the team already. 8)

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Thought I heard Matta passed over Burke for Shannon Scott,bet he is kicking himself in the rear end now.This could be Matta's biggest blunder ever if Scott don't pick it up

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Michigan Big Ten Champs!

Return to “College Sports”