football

PTrojan59
S

football

Post by PTrojan59 »

ok soo as of right now who do u have as the top teams ?

Brutus8907
All State

Re: football

Post by Brutus8907 »

My preseason top 5:

1. Georgia
2. OSU
3. USC
4. Oklahoma
5. Florida

scouts.com has OSU #1 but i have a hard time putting them above georgia because they're gonna be really tough this year

Scouts.com wrote:1. Ohio State 2007 Record: 11-2

SEC fans will go ballistic at the notion, and America might let out a collective groan at the thought of OSU in another national title game, but with all the returning talent, this really should be 2008's best team. Remember, 2007 was supposed to be a rebuilding year and a stepping-stone to this season. Getting to the national championship was unexpected gravy. Shock of shocks, most of the stars decided to come back for one more year with DE Vernon Gholston the only early defector.

The Buckeyes don't have the speed or athleticism of the top teams, right? The NFL certainly doesn't think so with at least 11 starters, not including both kickers, who'll be drafted with five, LB James Laurinaitis, LB Marcus Freeman, CB Malcolm Jenkins, RB Beanie Wells, and OT Alex Boone, who'd be starting on day one of the 2008 NFL season.

A national punching bag after two straight blowout losses in BCS Championships, the Buckeyes will be good enough to get another shot with almost everyone of note returning on offense including QB Todd Boeckman and top receivers Brian Hartline and Brian Robiskie. The defense might lose Gholston and LB Larry Grant, but nine starters are back. PK Ryan Pretorius and P A.J. Trapasso form one of the nation's best kicking duos.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/720771.html

GO BUCKEYES!!! 8) 8) 8)

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

I think Geogia will be very good, but what have they done to get a free pass? Oh yeah, losing to South Carolina and beating Hawaii (wow) I forgot.

People don't like to mention the SEC's horrible record against the Big East (6-17? somewhere along those lines), and their 1-9 record on the west coast since 2000.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

This will be the year for our next National Campionship, as long as they take it one game at a time. We can not overlook anyone this year. The first real test will be week 3 USC. I cant wait.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Oz...do you really think Ohio is going to give the Bucks a test in week 2? I see our first test being USC in week 3

thecoach
Varsity

Post by thecoach »

Orestes wrote:I think Geogia will be very good, but what have they done to get a free pass? Oh yeah, losing to South Carolina and beating Hawaii (wow) I forgot.

People don't like to mention the SEC's horrible record against the Big East (6-17? somewhere along those lines), and their 1-9 record on the west coast since 2000.

people don't like to mention OSU's record against the SEC in bowl games either (0-9). while OSU will have a good team this year, if they make it to the title game they'll get beat by another SEC team and this time it will be Georgia.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

thecoach wrote:
Orestes wrote:I think Geogia will be very good, but what have they done to get a free pass? Oh yeah, losing to South Carolina and beating Hawaii (wow) I forgot.

people don't like to mention OSU's record against the SEC in bowl games either (0-9). while OSU will have a good team this year, if they make it to the title game they'll get beat by another SEC team and this time it will be Georgia.

Some original thoughts in your statements. You are just repeating what has been said by every small-brain in the USA that cares little for critical thinking but follows college football. Actually, everyone loves to talk about OSU's record against the SEC in bowl games, so you are totally wrong. It is OSU's one flaw on their record, and it's easy to hate a team that pumps tons of guys into the NFL and plays for the national championship about every other year under Tressel.

Someone explain to me how OSU can dominate the Big Ten, but lose to the SEC, while the rest of the Big10 totals a winning record in recent years against the SEC (not counting OSU's performances). I think what you see here is a statistical anomaly. If you play enough games, you can manipulate a stat in any way you like.

Let's not look at OSU in bowl games, but let's look at them in bowl games against the SEC.
Let's not look at OSU against the SEC, but let's look at them against the SEC in bowl games only.

If you believe OSU is inferior to the SEC b/c of that stat, then you must believe the Big East is greater than the SEC, and that SEC teams are incapable of winning while playing on the west coast. I don't believe any of it. You are taking such a small sample from such a huge sample of games.

All you OSU haters should really tell these NFL scouts and GMs how to do things correctly. All those guys they draft would lose 5 or 6 games in the SEC :lol: :roll:

thecoach
Varsity

Post by thecoach »

Orestes wrote:
thecoach wrote:

Some original thoughts in your statements. You are just repeating what has been said by every small-brain in the USA that cares little for critical thinking but follows college football. Actually, everyone loves to talk about OSU's record against the SEC in bowl games, so you are totally wrong. It is OSU's one flaw on their record, and it's easy to hate a team that pumps tons of guys into the NFL and plays for the national championship about every other year under Tressel.

Someone explain to me how OSU can dominate the Big Ten, but lose to the SEC, while the rest of the Big10 totals a winning record in recent years against the SEC (not counting OSU's performances). I think what you see here is a statistical anomaly. If you play enough games, you can manipulate a stat in any way you like.

Let's not look at OSU in bowl games, but let's look at them in bowl games against the SEC.
Let's not look at OSU against the SEC, but let's look at them against the SEC in bowl games only.

If you believe OSU is inferior to the SEC b/c of that stat, then you must believe the Big East is greater than the SEC, and that SEC teams are incapable of winning while playing on the west coast. I don't believe any of it. You are taking such a small sample from such a huge sample of games.

All you OSU haters should really tell these NFL scouts and GMs how to do things correctly. All those guys they draft would lose 5 or 6 games in the SEC :lol: :roll:

The SEC has been better for at least the last two years, you can't deny that. you guys have a pretty good chance to get us back this year though. according to scout.com, in the top 25 there are 7 sec teams and 5 big ten teams. take from it what you will.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

There is only one way to compare conferences, and that is all their games head to head.

This decade, the SEC and the Big 10 have matched up 16 times in the post season (games where same conference rankings are matched up together).

The record is 8-8.

Meanwhile, OSU, the team that has powered the Big 10, is 0-3.

The rest of the Big 10 is 8-5 against the SEC.

Someone show me the SEC domination in a 8-8 record, or an OSU conference opponenet 8-5 record.

Now, this does not help OSU's 0-9 much at all. However, what it does help is OSU's worthiness of being selected for the national title game. People say, "OSU would not have made it if they weren't playing in the weak Big 10." Well, this decade, OSU's conference opponents are 8-5 against the SEC in the evenly ranked matchups. What does that tell you about the teams OSU has been winning against? It's not hard to understand.

Then again, I am a person that believes in each game's individual matchups, and that no one game is a reflection on another game. However, apparently 90% of this country's idiots do believe in meaningless stats like the ones above.

bigtimehitter
All Conference

Post by bigtimehitter »

How can anyone deny the fact that THE BUCKEYES arent going to be one of the top teams???? We have 19 returning starters and one of the best recruiting classes EVER. :roll: 2007 we completely overachieved and no one expected us to play for the title. This year is going to be very different, VERY,VERY dominant team this year and the best team Tressel has put together yet. :-D

bigtimehitter
All Conference

Post by bigtimehitter »

oh yea, another team people are probably underestimating is Clemson. I know they always field decent teams and always mange to lose 3-4 games, but they have a pretty favorable schedule this year.
They also return Cullen Harper that passed for almost 3000 yrds and had 27-6 ratio and also have James Davis and CJ Spiller in the backfield and also a very good recruiting class coming in this year. They could be a team to watch. :12224

And you would also be a fool to not mention Florida, as bad as I hate to do it.

thecoach
Varsity

Post by thecoach »

OSU was lucky to be in the title game last year. if it wasn't for better teams losing to better competion, they wouldn't have made it. plus OSU lost to a team the Kentucky beat. so yeah OSU was overated last year.

i never said OSU wasn't going to be good this year. they bring back almost everyone, they are the team to beat no doubt about it. however, if they play the title game against an SEC team, they will probably lose.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I would have OSU as my preseason #1. I think USC has the most talent, but also have to many ??? at key positions like QB. USC's defense will be scary athletic with most likely the best secondary in the country.

OSU brings back a plethora of talent. Bennie will again be the man, and they will look to pound it behind Boone. I don't think the OSU wideouts are the most talented, but they are just very heady football players. Of course their defense will be loaded. It will be interesting to see how the d-line is this year; I think they will be solid as always, but losing VG will hurt.

Georgia will be a solid team, but I don’t realistically see them cruising through the SEC without a loss or two. Florida is the most likely to come away with a chance to play for a National Title. There is way too much talent on offense to not be scary good. Bennie is a machine no doubt, but Percy Harvin scares me more than any other player in the USA. As long as UF puts up a lot of points their defense doesn’t have to be great. Best freshman in the nation next year may come from Florida, Safety Will Hill.

Texas is another team that will be loaded at every position. I wouldn’t overlook the Longhorn’s.

I am interested to see how WVU is next season. It is easy to set back and say they are going to be good, but I am not ready to make that statement. This is a team that lost half their coaching staff, S&C staff, and all everything running back. Let’s not forget that Calvin McGee (departed to Michigan), former offensive coordinator was the one calling all the shots in the bowl game. Stewart gets way too much credit for the bowl victory. Can Pat White and Noel Devine make through an entire season without injury. Pat White is a great football player, but he is all of 185-190, and takes a lot of shots. Noel Devine has yet to be an every down back; the kid is a noodle at 175. I can think of two other backs that were able to withstand punishment at that size (Warrick Dunn and kid from Kansas State), so that will be interesting.

My Top 5

1. OSU
2. USC
3. Florida
4. Texas
5. Arizona State (wildcard)

bigtimehitter
All Conference

Post by bigtimehitter »

im sorry but Texas wont have much. And i really dont see them making too much of a splash, but thats why the games are played.

1.The Ohio State University(no bias here,they are STACKED)
2. Florida
3.USC
4.Oklahoma
5.Georiga
6.Clemson(talents there if they can finally put it together)
7.Missouri
8.West Virginia

and it kinda drops off with alot of good teams but none that really stick out.

whompascat
All Conference

Post by whompascat »

georgia and usc are the 2 best.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Clemson may be the most consistant team in the nation. They always underachieve and play in the Peach Bowl :122246 !

Texas will be planty good.

Colt McCoy is a poor mans Tim Tebow. Vondrell McGee was the perfect compliment to Charles last season and is primed to take over. The wideouts will be young but extremly talented and the Longhorn's may have the best TE in the country in Jermicahel Finley.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

One thing for sure most polls have Ohio State and USC in the to 3 or 4. That will make the game even bigger. The winner should end up number 1 the rest of the way unless they loose.

bigtimehitter
All Conference

Post by bigtimehitter »

peake wrote:Clemson may be the most consistant team in the nation. They always underachieve and play in the Peach Bowl :122246 !

Texas will be planty good.

Colt McCoy is a poor mans Tim Tebow. Vondrell McGee was the perfect compliment to Charles last season and is primed to take over. The wideouts will be young but extremly talented and the Longhorn's may have the best TE in the country in Jermicahel Finley.

they are INCONSISTENT, and that is what I said they always manage to lose 3-5 games,but this year could be different witha more favorable schedule

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

No they are very consistent. They manage to lose to lesser competition each year and make their way into the Peach Bowl. I call that consistancy. BTW, hint of sarcasim behind the last post. Went right over your head.

bigtimehitter
All Conference

Post by bigtimehitter »

peake wrote:No they are very consistent. They manage to lose to lesser competition each year and make their way into the Peach Bowl. I call that consistancy. BTW, hint of sarcasim behind the last post. Went right over your head.

BTW I caught the sarcasim,nothin went over my head. BTW, i said this year COULD be different and should be a team to watch.... :roll:
Say that the talent isn't there. Is that what you are saying? Because i have done made it clear that they have always manged to lose 3-4 games every year.

Return to “College Sports”