Tyler Whaley of OSU is a Bengal

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Tyler Whaley of OSU is a Bengal

Post by RiverRatRay »

Tank signed a 2 year contract as a free agent with the Cincinnnati Bengals today. He also received a signing bonus and is to report to the Bengals camp Thursday. Congrats to Tyler another great achievement.

ItownHosscat
S

Re: Tyler Whaley of OSU is a Bengal

Post by ItownHosscat »

Great news!
Just 1 more thing to be proud of.

tigermom42
Riding the Bench

Post by tigermom42 »

Great news for this fine young man! Channel 3 just did an interview with him at tank stadium for the 11:00 news. Congratulations to Tyler and his whole family. Way to go Tyler!

oak hill71
All State

Post by oak hill71 »

Congrats, I was hoping the Bengals would get him, and they did.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

ghostwriter
Varsity

Post by ghostwriter »

henrysteele, has the ESPN website about Tyler under High School Football.....

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

Congrats to Tyler and his family.

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

Congrats to Tyler......

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

I watched Cincinnati WLWT 11 PM News and Sports Rock immediately following, and they never mentioned his name.
Darn!! But they were mostly talking about the "draft" picks.
I take it the Bengals' choosing Tyler wasn't a "draft pick"?
I am so happy for him! And also happy for the Bengals! Don't they have great need for players of his moral character?! [real shortage of those , lately!]

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

Saw that interview at OSU where all he wanted to do was hit some Wolverines! And he did that and look at him now! Didnt he play right tackle for Itown in his senior season? And also, where is Justin Fry now?? He was as good as it gets in my book for this area and he was projected to go high in the draft a few years ago. Would like to know. Thanks tiger fans!!

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Did he sign as a FB or OL?

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

demaniac1 wrote:Saw that interview at OSU where all he wanted to do was hit some Wolverines! And he did that and look at him now! Didnt he play right tackle for Itown in his senior season? And also, where is Justin Fry now?? He was as good as it gets in my book for this area and he was projected to go high in the draft a few years ago. Would like to know. Thanks tiger fans!!

Roman Fry suffered a serious injury early in his senior season at Clemson. I don't know his status now.

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

Tartanblue wrote:Did he sign as a FB or OL?

Fullback.

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Congrats to Tyler. Looks like the Bengals were a little quicker than the Chiefs on grabbing Tank. If Chad Johnson does sit out maybe Bengal fans can call Tyler "Quatro Dos"
Last edited by The Flying Dutchman on Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

the bengals still use a true fullback?

i was watching yesterday and they were talking about the fullback be extinct like Lorenzo neal type the run smasher

IronTigerMum
Varsity

Post by IronTigerMum »

Hard work pays off and Tyler is the epitome of hard work! Good luck!! This house is happy for you!

Tiger Man
Varsity

Post by Tiger Man »

Way to go TANK :-D :-D :-D

You have been in our prayers. GOD is good!!!

Good Luck. We are with you!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

man, i watched the whole draft, agonizing over every pick, i wanted to see his name called so bad, for him. i think this is fantastic, i love the bengals, have been a bengals fan since 1968. i was not real pleased with the draft they had overall. but this made it all better. we love you tank, and are inspired by you. and your family. your hard work has been nothing short of a miracle. and you have handled it all so gracefully. i wish you all the luck in the world. and hope you retire a very successful bengal. you are just tops in my book,------------------------ you can doit.
:122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

By Jim Walker/Tribune Sports Editor

Monday, April 28, 2008 12:07 PM EDT
Not only does this storybook career have a new chapter, it’s building toward an even happier ending.

Tyler Whaley passed up several small college offers for a chance to make his favorite team — the Ohio State Buckeyes — as a walk-on.

Whaley not only accomplished that, he earned a scholarship and shared the first team fullback duties with Dionte Johnson this past season as the Buckeyes won the Big Ten and played in the BCS National Championship game.

With the success he had his senior season, Whaley began to entertain thoughts of a professional career and excelled at the Ohio State Pro Day.

Those hopes became a reality when the Cincinnati Bengals called Whaley at the conclusion of the NFL draft on Sunday and agreed to a free agent contract.

“I grew up a Cincinnati fan so it’s another childhood dream come true,” said Whaley. “Right now God’s playing my cards right for me.”

Cincinnati Bengals’ assistant coach Ray Oliver spoke briefly with Whaley at the pro day. Running backs coach Jim Anderson called him midway through the draft on Sunday to confirm the Bengals’ interest.

“They were impressed with what I did at Pro Day. (Anderson) told me I was one of the fullbacks they were interested in. They only have one fullback on the roster and they were looking to bring in one or two fullbacks,” said Whaley.

“I felt pretty good about the Bengals after that (call). I was never expecting to get drafted, but you never know.”

Whaley’s work ethic and determination earned him the Bo Rein Most Inspirational Player Award at the annual team banquet last Dec. 2.

“I’ve been lifting and running. I wanted to be prepared. I wanted to be ready if it happened,” said Whaley.

A baseball standout as well as a football star at Ironton, Whaley spent Saturday morning throwing out the ceremonial first pitch at the Ironton Little League and watching some relatives play.

“I went back to the house and watched to see where Vern (Buckeyes defensive lineman Vernon Gholston) went, then I watched a movie. I went to bed early,” said Whaley.

“I knew if I went, it would be (Sunday). I wasn’t really nervous until Jim Anderson called me. He got my juices going.

The family went to grandparents Tommy and Dottie Tipton’s for dinner. But he said when the sixth round began, everyone started to watch intensely.

“When it got to the sixth and seventh rounds, I got a little stressed. We watched every pick in the seventh round,” said Whaley.

Although he wasn’t drafted, the phone call came literally as the draft was ending.

“As the draft was going off TV my phone was ringing. I told everyone to be quiet so I could hear. After the phone call it went pretty crazy,” Whaley said with a chuckle.

Whaley spoke with his agent who worked out the deals of the contract. The deal was completed 10 minutes after the drafted ended.

“My agent said if it made me feel any better, the Kansas City Chiefs called, too,” said Whaley. “But Kansas City has two on the roster and I knew I would go in with two veterans on the team. Now I’m going in with one free agent and I just have to work to beat out one guy.”

The Bengals rookie mini-camp will be held this weekend. Whaley said he will arrive on Thursday for a physical and to complete any paper work with actual workouts Friday through Sunday.

Whaley said he saw a Bengals game live as a youngster when they played at Riverfront Stadium. He didn’t return until two years ago for a Thursday night game against Baltimore.

“My fianc/ used to live in Cincinnati and she got tickets. I left right after I got out of a meeting and we made it just as they were kicking off,” said Whaley.

“It was hard for me to go once I got in college because of travel and practice. I watch them as much as I can on TV.”

There may be one drawback if Whaley makes the Bengals’ roster. He and fianc/ Brittany Benjamin have a wedding date of Dec. 6.

“We’ll have to wait and see how this football season goes. It’s postponed for right now,” said Whaley.

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

Nice to see a local player making it to the next level.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

WHO STOLE MY POST, All i said was marry that gal saturday. geesh. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Return to “College Sports”