Josh Jenkins Makes Decision

schenk11
All Conference

Josh Jenkins Makes Decision

Post by schenk11 »

The Parkersburg Big Red chooses WVU for his collegiate career.

someoverkill
JV Team

Post by someoverkill »

For his personal long term goals, this was the best decision for him. Good pickup by the Mountaineers. He can play right away in Morgantown.

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

i was right wow amazing :lol:

buckeye21
JV Team

Post by buckeye21 »

Good luck to Josh!

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I can understand him stay as close to home as he can but, he now has no shot at a NCAA title.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Jenkins apparently cooled on OSU after the AA game in San Antonio. He found out what big time competition was all about.

Apparently, he also did not call OSU O-line coach Jim Bollman to tell him of his decision, which is the "classy" thing to do when making such decisions.

Also, he called out the "Brew Crew" in his statements. The "Brew Crew" apparently told OSU's insiders some things that were not fit for print.

Chew on this as far as long term goals go:

WVU 2001-2007: 7 players drafted. Remington Award winner=undrafted.

OSU 2001-2007: 53 players drafted. Nearly every starting O-lineman under JT has been drafted.

hdfatboy
Freshman Team

Post by hdfatboy »

Orestes wrote:Jenkins apparently cooled on OSU after the AA game in San Antonio. He found out what big time competition was all about.

Apparently, he also did not call OSU O-line coach Jim Bollman to tell him of his decision, which is the "classy" thing to do when making such decisions.

Also, he called out the "Brew Crew" in his statements. The "Brew Crew" apparently told OSU's insiders some things that were not fit for print.

OSU 2001-2007: 53 players drafted. Nearly every starting O-lineman under JT has been drafted.

While we're chewing on those draft figures - you were the one who pointed out that WVU did much better at putting people into the NFL in the seven years prior to Rod's tenure (when he played undersized linemen...like Mozes that were not NFL types). I seriously doubt that if Jenkins is an NFL calibre lineman that going to WVU will keep him from making it. As for JT being the reason OSU linemen get drafted - OSU linemen were drafted pretty often prior to his arrival - OSU tends to have pretty good linemen with great size.

Gobigblacks
JV Team

Post by Gobigblacks »

newarkcatholicfan wrote:I can understand him stay as close to home as he can but, he now has no shot at a NCAA title.

WVU isn't in the SEC or something, they are in the Big East. Their chances aren't as bad as you make it sound. You are making it sound like he went to a school in Conference-USA where he really would have no shot at a NCAA title. Any team in a BCS conference has a shot, especially a team that has won two BCS games in three years.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

hdfatboy wrote:
Orestes wrote:Jenkins apparently cooled on OSU after the AA game in San Antonio. He found out what big time competition was all about.

While we're chewing on those draft figures - you were the one who pointed out that WVU did much better at putting people into the NFL in the seven years prior to Rod's tenure (when he played undersized linemen...like Mozes that were not NFL types). I seriously doubt that if Jenkins is an NFL calibre lineman that going to WVU will keep him from making it. As for JT being the reason OSU linemen get drafted - OSU linemen were drafted pretty often prior to his arrival - OSU tends to have pretty good linemen with great size.

Haha. Yeah, I was the one. It just depends on what system WVU will be running.

Also, I was just repeating what I read, and was being critical of JJ simply because he called out the "brew crew." That seemed unneccessary to me.

Good luck to WVU. I definitely like them better now.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

OSU commit Orhian Johnson said this yesterday:"He told my brother in law that he did not expect Josh Jenkins to sign with OSU because his impression was that Jenkins would not play much after seeing the O-linemen OSU recruited in San Antonio. In fact, he told him that he felt Jenkins was somewhat intimidated by them after seeing how good they were. Something to that effect."

On ONN tonight: "Mike Adams said he didn't understand why Jenkins said what he did about the "Brew Crew," maybe he was just afraid of the competition."

Mike Brewster is said to have hard feelings towards JJ after his comments today.

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

What did he say? Can ya point me to a site to read it? Was it that bad?

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

He said that "Ohio State has the Brew Crew. I want to be Josh Jenkins."

I am paraphrasing now, but he also said something like he was annoyed by the phone calls he received from the Brew Crew.

The weird part is that he was friends with those guys. They all thought they were just friends talking to each other.

Also, he was recruited to OSU by Jim Bollman. It is common for recruits to call the coaches who recruited them, so they can tell them their decision. JJ did not call Bollman about his decision at all.

Edit:

Scout.com spoke with Parkersburg, W.Va., native Josh Jenkins late Tuesday evening after it had been leaked by his hometown newspaper that he was heading to West Virginia. Needless to say, Jenkins was not real happy.
"I'm very upset with the Parkersburg News right now," Jenkins Exclaimed. "I hid my intentions pretty well and I wanted to have the press conference and they ruined it for me. I lost a lot of respect for my local newspaper."

Jenkins, chose West Virginia the school he had been committed to for the better part of two years, despite the temptation of other such as Ohio State and Florida State.

"I really liked the old staff and I wasn't sure who'd be taking over," Jenkins said. "When they hired (Bill) Stewart, Doc Holliday and Dave Johnson I became more interested.

Dave Johnson is a very good coach and I know he can prepare me for the next level," Jenkins stated.

A lot of people had Jenkins penciled in as a memeber of the "Brew Crew", but as it turns out the Buckeyes finished a distant third in the race for Jenkins.

"I really liked Florida State and I almost went there," Jenkins said. "I just didn't feel like I fit in at Ohio State. i like all those guys and I'd consider them friends, but I just wasn't in to all that recruiting and phone calls and stuff. It actually turned me off a little bit.

"Coach (Jim) Bollman was one of the best guys I met during this whole process," Jenkins said. "It was also very hard to turn down Coach (Rick) Trickett. Like I said at one point I was going there, he has always treated me like family."

There have been some harsh words directed to jenkins by some West Virginia fans, whoa re among the most passionate in college football, but Jenkins is ready to move on and he loves his home state.

"I figured why leave?" Jenkins quiped. "I love it here. It means a lot to me to stay home. My friends and family will all be able to see me play.

"Fans always hate you when you're not going to their school,"Jenkins said. "When you commit to their school they love you. There are people who have always supported me and for that I thank them. For those that don't then oh well."

Jenkins told us that the decision has been made for almost a week now, since an in-home visit with Doc Holliday.

"I talked to Doc during my in-home visit and I told him there was a good chance that I will be going there," Jenkins said. "So I told him to get me an LOI and I was likely going to send it to him.

Jenkins mom (Debbie Johnson) is a big part of Jenkins life and what he does. Obviously she is happy that her son is staying home, but according to Jenkins she never pushed the issue.

"She is happy," he said. "but she never really looked at as a football decision," Jenkins explained. "She wants to make sure that I am treated right off the field and not just while I am on it."

Jenkins had a few words of encouragement to his new fanbase at West Virginia.

"I'm coming in with the right attitude and I'll work my tail off and help West Virginia win a national championship."

Scout's Take: This is a huge pick-up for West Virginia and especially for Bill Stewart. Just for perception you can't imaging the P.R. nightmare they'd have faced if they lose arguably the best prospect in the state in twenty years or more. In a big state you may get away with that, but in a small state you never live it down. Jenkins could be ready to play as a freshmen. He is a great athlete for an offensive lineman and he has that nastiness about

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

2 things...

1. I am glad that Josh picked WVU. He stated that he wanted to play guard or tackle while OSU wanted him to play center. You have to go where your heart is and while the OSU folks would have done everything to make sure he was a success both on and off the field (just like coach Stewart at WVU will do) I think WVU is where he feels that he would be the happiest.

2. I have to agree that it was a bad choice to have your own hometown newspaper blaring his school pick prior to his 9 am press conference and taking the spotlight away from Josh. But, the sports editor for the Parkersburg News is a tool and that is why the sports section has turned into the rag that it is - domestic birds refuse to have the bottom of their cages lined with it and dead fish refuse to be wrapped in it.

hdfatboy
Freshman Team

Post by hdfatboy »

Orestes wrote:
hdfatboy wrote:

Haha. Yeah, I was the one. It just depends on what system WVU will be running.

Also, I was just repeating what I read, and was being critical of JJ simply because he called out the "brew crew." That seemed unneccessary to me.

Good luck to WVU. I definitely like them better now.

:lol:

Yeah, I like them better now too! I like the new coaching staff much more than the previous group. Stewart et al. have done an excellent job of recovering from the Rich fiasco. Between the coaching hires and the recruiting class I think WVU will be alright. I am particularly interested in seeing what Jeff Mullen can do with Pat White....it'll be very nice for him to have a good QB coach for a change and coach who might occasionally have him throw the ball downfield!

hdfatboy
Freshman Team

Post by hdfatboy »

newarkcatholicfan wrote:I can understand him stay as close to home as he can but, he now has no shot at a NCAA title.

Yeah, because WVU has NEVER been in the national title picture :roll: .

Would his chances be greater at OSU? Yes. Are they non-existent at WVU? No.

rockhillbasketball
All Conference

Post by rockhillbasketball »

from what i hear, he'll play right away.

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

I heard Mike Adams and Jake Stoneburner talking about Josh on ONN yesterday and they more or less said that Josh did what he thought was best for Josh.

BLITZBURG
Riding the Bench

Post by BLITZBURG »

Seen on local news last night,JJ at first put on a UM hat and the pulled it off and slung it and put on a WVU hat.Was he recruited by UM or was he just taking a swat at RR?Doesn't really matter-just wondering.

hdfatboy
Freshman Team

Post by hdfatboy »

rockhillbasketball wrote:from what i hear, he'll play right away.

It's possible, but I wouldn't count on it since WVU returns its entire offensive line from this past season. Actually it is the best situation for any freshman to come into. He will likely get some playing time, but he doesn't need to immediately be a starter. He'll have some time to learn the offense and mature.

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

BLITZBURG wrote:Seen on local news last night,JJ at first put on a UM hat and the pulled it off and slung it and put on a WVU hat.Was he recruited by UM or was he just taking a swat at RR?Doesn't really matter-just wondering.
it was a joke to get the crowd going

Return to “College Sports”