Ohio University

JohnKnight
Varsity

Ohio University

Post by JohnKnight »

Someone explain this to me. Why would Ohio University bring in a JUCO kid from CA that is no better than a 6'6" 4.0 Valedictorian kid that was 2 years all state and POY in his conference and he lives 80 miles away? How many fans would drive to see him every Saturday? hundreds! I just don't get it!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

STUPID!!!!

OSU BUCKS FAN
Freshman Team

Post by OSU BUCKS FAN »

i think he would be excellent for a team in the mac !! 8) has miami looked at him

72Xcurl
Freshman Team

Post by 72Xcurl »

Miami has a verbal from Zach Dysert out of Ada Ohio. I heard they offered Dysert before they saw Walls. Not sure if this is totally accurate but I know it is close. JK might be able to shed more light on that.

GO TIGERS
qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

dumb

Doc Panther
JV Team

Re: Ohio University

Post by Doc Panther »

JohnKnight wrote:Someone explain this to me. Why would Ohio University bring in a JUCO kid from CA that is no better than a 6'6" 4.0 Valedictorian kid that was 2 years all state and POY in his conference and he lives 80 miles away? How many fans would drive to see him every Saturday? hundreds! I just don't get it!

Ohio is a lose/lose situation when it comes to locals. They offer an athlete like Givens from Chillicothe and he goes to Miami so they catch hell about that. Then they don't offer Walls and then they catch hell about that. Local fans have never supported Ohio University no matter what they do. They'd rather root for Marshall or Ohio State. In Wall's case I had lobbied early for us to offer him a scholly. I imagine in Frank's mind it's a win now situation and even though Walls may in a few years be as good or better than Boo Jackson...as a former coach I'd rather go now with Boo if I'm in a win now situation and who isn't. I wish Trevor the best of luck and I'm sure he'll be a steal, but comparing POY's in SE Ohio and Cally Junior College is a different story.

Fame is a vapor.....popularity an accident and riches take wing.

The only thing that endures is your character.
LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Ohio University

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Doc Panther wrote:
JohnKnight wrote:Someone explain this to me. Why would Ohio University bring in a JUCO kid from CA that is no better than a 6'6" 4.0 Valedictorian kid that was 2 years all state and POY in his conference and he lives 80 miles away? How many fans would drive to see him every Saturday? hundreds! I just don't get it!

Ohio is a lose/lose situation when it comes to locals. They offer an athlete like Givens from Chillicothe and he goes to Miami so they catch hell about that. Then they don't offer Walls and then they catch hell about that. Local fans have never supported Ohio University no matter what they do. They'd rather root for Marshall or Ohio State. In Wall's case I had lobbied early for us to offer him a scholly. I imagine in Frank's mind it's a win now situation and even though Walls may in a few years be as good or better than Boo Jackson...as a former coach I'd rather go now with Boo if I'm in a win now situation and who isn't. I wish Trevor the best of luck and I'm sure he'll be a steal, but comparing POY's in SE Ohio and Cally Junior College is a different story.
Great post.

Pol pot
SE

Boo Jackson

Post by Pol pot »

I think in this case it has something to do with athletic ability. Ohio is a spread running team that utilizes the option, and with the right QB will be more option based. I think this is simply a style/system issue. And Walls is not a QB in that type of mold.

Hey, and the last scholarship kid from Waverly that went to Ohio University didn't he quit as a starter?

GoBlue22
Freshman Team

Post by GoBlue22 »

Actually Solich has not used the option as much as in years past. Last season Bower was not fast enough to run the option.

kcarth305
JV Team

Post by kcarth305 »

Ohio has never been big on recruiting local sports talent. You don't see hardly any Ohio sports rosters with local high school graduates on them. It's always been that way. Maybe it's time for Ohio sports to start looking at the good talent that is in the Southeastern Ohio area. Now, don't get me wrong, you aren't always going to be able to find D1 talent in the area. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't look though. Hopefully a change is in the works....as only the local talent would possibly benefit from it.

Doc Panther
JV Team

Post by Doc Panther »

This year's recruiting class had 7 Ohio signees. Look at the other MAC schools and you'll see their number of Ohio recruits this year are close to that. The next largest state for the Cats was Pennsylvania with 4...Florida had 2. At the press conference Ohio coaches made a point to emphasize that Ohio was their state for recruiting....but if you offer a student and he goes elsewhere...what can you do? Plus do you turn down two studs from a hotbed of recruiting in Florida? Also do you turn down a Pennsylvania kid who has been invited to the Big 33 all-star game of Ohio vs. Pennsylvania? You'll see locals on the team...you've got them now with Schlichter from Washington Court House....Black from Court House....Edwards from Nelsonville...Huffman from Nelsonville....Flowers and Stuck and Fosnaugh from Lancaster..and some other walk-ons.

tiger_4_ever
Waterboy

Post by tiger_4_ever »

How is Edward's going to turn out??? Don't hear much info..

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog!
Doc Panther
JV Team

Post by Doc Panther »

tiger_4_ever wrote:How is Edward's going to turn out??? Don't hear much info..

I think he could get some pt and contribute. The only problem is that Ohio has recruited some of their best athletes at the two positions that Edwards could play at. Vince Harris and Alphonso Lewis were two highly regarded OLB's this year. Harris had an offer from WVU. At safety Ohio not only acquired two juco's at the 3 and 4 star level...but also a Wash. DC player by the name of Gerald Moore who had offers from Louisville among others....here's his video:

http://www.recruitgeraldmoore.com/recru ... ntdown.htm

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

KCarth, if you look at the number of Southern Ohio kids who have went DI in the past 20 years in football, Ohio University has taken well over 50% of all of them. Problem is many of them have quit, and several quit while they were actually playing.

kcarth305
JV Team

Post by kcarth305 »

Pol Pot, thanks for the info. Not surprising, I must say.

Return to “College Sports”