Losing Faith in Tress?

Brutus8907
All State

Losing Faith in Tress?

Post by Brutus8907 »

Yes, he's led us to 3 national championship games in 6 years. Yes, he's 6-1 against Michigan. Yes, he's brought us at least a share of the Big Ten Title 4 of his 7 years. Yes, he's lead OSU to a 73-15 record during his regime. HOWEVER. some of his performance in big games has made me question him a bit. 2 blowout losses in the National Championship in 2 years. and IMO an underated poor choaching performance against Texas in 2005. I'm not ready to give up on him yet, but he's really beginning to make me take a second glance.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Tress is any thing other than a great great great coach. This is coming from a Michigan fan. Tress is one of the top 3 in the country. I dare you to name a better coach than Tress aside from Pete Carrol.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Re: Losing Faith in Tress?

Post by biggdowgg »

Brutus8907 wrote:Yes, he's led us to 3 national championship games in 6 years. Yes, he's 6-1 against Michigan. Yes, he's brought us at least a share of the Big Ten Title 4 of his 7 years. Yes, he's lead OSU to a 73-15 record during his regime. HOWEVER. some of his performance in big games has made me question him a bit. 2 blowout losses in the National Championship in 2 years. and IMO an underated poor choaching performance against Texas in 2005. I'm not ready to give up on him yet, but he's really beginning to make me take a second glance.

works for me :lol: :lol:

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

I have to admit that I will never be as confident about a bowl game again, but you can't argue with the fact that JT has coached in 9 title games in 21 years as a head coach.

If they can somehow get their JRs back, they can make another run next season.

Look at LSU, they had 25 seniors. OSU had 5. That type of leadership can be important.

mvlnewlex
All Conference

Post by mvlnewlex »

Ohio State was picked to finish 4th in the Big Ten this year. We won the Big Ten and we beat Michigan.

this thread is so pathetic.

mvlnewlex
All Conference

Post by mvlnewlex »

I normally agree with you gahs4ever.

but..

remember that win in 2002 over Miami ? That was good coaching. US vs the WORLD is how it works at Ohio State. You are in your 60s. You have been around longer than I have. You know the anti Ohio State bias in the national media. Ohio State always feels like it is us vs the world.

LSU just had the better team. overall.

tubby
Varsity

Post by tubby »

I HATE osu!!! But Tressel IS one of the best coaches in the country!

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I haven't. I do believe the Buckeyes need to tweak a few things though.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

My biggest tweek would be speed on defense. LSU's receivers looked faster than the OSU guys all night long as well as last year against Florida. Tressel's schemes are good, but speed kills and OSU needs a little more, especially on the D side of the ball.

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
GAHS7462
All Conference

Post by GAHS7462 »

X an O has hit the nail on the head. We need more speed on the defensive side to compete with the SEC. I feel an change with the defensive cord would be a good start. He has showed he has no clue how to stop a spread or wide open offense. Its coming more to the Big-10 with Zook/ Rich.

John 3:16
91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

i am as big as fan as they come. these guys like #33 way overhyped and overrated. you are not going to go down south and be able to check those men of color it`s not gonna happen they are too fast. yeah we get some from down south but it hasnt helped us to go down south and win.

this big ten line up and bang it out is old school.

tressell know doubt plays for titles no matter what the level.

guys like shlegal, ott, carpenter, laurinitis cant check a tight end or a back out of the back field down south. give them a little hip ankles broke :idea:

GAHS7462
All Conference

Post by GAHS7462 »

Don't forget we have wide out who can't get speration from the DB"S.
Why!!!! Speed man!!!!!!!!!!!or lack of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John 3:16
Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

gahs4ever wrote:Is speed the reason our lines got owned?

I wonder hoe many consecutive possessions LSU scored on? It reminded me of the Illinois game in that our defense simply couldnt get off the field.

I believe it helped. How many times did Boeckman have to run for his life after the receivers didn't get open? Why? Couldn't get separation from faster DB's. Linemen can only hold a block for so long.

Faster D linemen can blow by some slower O linemen. It isn't all about brute strength up front.

The consecutive scoring possessions were attributed to a very accurate night passing by Flynn. Why? Receivers having the speed to get open a great deal of the time.

I think speed had a lot to do with it this year and last.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

The Tigers were so much more stronger and faster than the Bucks it makes me sick.

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

I never said Tressel wasnt a good coach, the man is a football genius. however, it seems to me that he's taking a page out of his own team's book and just choking in big games. like i said, i love the man for what he's brought us, but that doesnt mean i'm completely satisfied, i want more. and even moreso, i want to NOT get embarassed on the national stage. we can win all the regular season games we want but if we look like a backyard pick up team come crunch time it all goes down the drain. this year's big ten title, the big wins over penn state, wisconson and michigan...all overshadowed by last night.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

This speed thing isn't new. I've been a fan/victim of it for years in the past. I am a Nebraska fan at heart. The Huskers used to get beaten year after year in the Orange Bowl by faster teams like Miami and FSU year after year. The Nebraska use of the Oklahoma 5-2/3-4 scheme with big/strong LB's wasn't doing it. Coach Osborne realized that switching to the 4-3 with fast lb's and even faster db's was the answer. He recruited fast, strong safeties and turned them into lb's and even faster speed, cover guys and what was the result in 2 or so years? Three national championships in 4 years: 94, 95 and 97.

Does the part I have italicized ring a bell? It does with me after these last two National Championship games. I know I don't have the answers to it all, but it could be a starting spot. I also agree with possibly a new d-coordinator. This guy doesn't have it in the big games.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Speed had little to do with the result last night. Are you people watching the same game I am??? Did you not see Bennie Wells out run every defender that LSU had? Speed had little to do with it. On the defensive side of the ball they didn't tackle well and missed several assingments. Like the TE who caught the first TD, he was matched up against a LB who mas in man coverage and thought it was going the other way so he rushed, has nothing to do with speed. I garuntee that Malcom Jenkins is fast enough to keep up with any of those WR LSU has. The big thing is the DB's for OSU are mostly soph's, that is called inexperience.

The only lack of speed OSU has is at Wideout. Quite using this stupid analogy that speed has anything to d with anything! Arkansas was destroyed by a team with supposed less speed, Florida was beat by Michigan who had supposed less speed, Tennessee was nearly beat by a team with less speed. UK beat a FSU team that has about twice the speed as it does. I feel stupid for even talking about speed!

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

^^^amen. speed wasnt much of a factor. poor tackling killed us though.

BLITZBURG
Riding the Bench

Post by BLITZBURG »

LSU on offense and defense had really good game plans.Their corners were very aggressive and they had some nice blitz packages.Offensively they were moving the ball at will it seemed,showed OSU alot of different looks, formation and personel wise.Don't think OSU was patient enough with the run game-they ran it on first down and if they didn't get more than 5 yards they would start throwing the ball.Alot of dumb penalties,a blocked field goal,a dropped td pass and alot of missed opertunities-fumbled punt and alot of poor tackling.Game could have went a different direction.Congratulations to LSU,don't believe speed had anything to do with it-too many mistakes and missed opertunities for the BUCKS.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

d-line and its speed killed osu. qb was constantly under pressure. osu had trouble scoring period once lsu settled down. 2nd td was result of great field position because of an int. 3rd td was in garbage time after lsu had it won. just like last year, after the first 10 minutes of the game, the buckeyes had no clue. with tressels record there is no way you can even entertain the idea of getting rid of him.

ohio state bills.

Return to “College Sports”