Chuck Ealey.. The perfect quarterback.. Unbeaten and unknown

Focused
SEOPS

Chuck Ealey.. The perfect quarterback.. Unbeaten and unknown

Post by Focused »

Great article in the PDT's this morning about Ealey.. He went 35-0 at Toledo University from 1969 -71, a record that still stands.. He was MAC player of the year 3 straight years and had 3 bowl victories.. His accomplishments though, won't qualify him in the College Football Hall of Fame, because Ealey was never selected to a first team All America list recognized by the National Football Foundation.
Some other standouts that will never make it because of the Hall of Fame's rerquirement are:
Joe Montana, Donavan McNabb, Ben Roethlisberger, and Chad Pennington.

By the way, Chuck Ealey never lost a high school game either.. He played at Portsmouth Notre Dame, and I had the privilege of watching him play.
Some of his fans who are supporting him would like to see the rules change to allow some of the greats who played for the mid-major schools to become eligible.. Ealey takes it all in stride, and is uncomfortable about being in the limelight about a change of rules.. He said he has never worried about whether he'll get in the Hall of Fame....He has never complaines about the slight and is enjoying life in Canada with his family.

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

i have read about him a few time and yes i believe the rules should be changed cause just right there are 5 great players who should make it 1 day....

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
bigtimehitter
All Conference

Post by bigtimehitter »

What are the rules? I've never heard em.

Focused
SEOPS

Post by Focused »

bigtimehitter wrote:What are the rules? I've never heard em.

bigtimehitter ~ As stated in the PDT's article, a person must be selected to a first team All America list recognized by the National Football Foundation..Lots of good players at low profile schools are less likely to make first team All America over a player at a bigger school.
Some people are pushing for the NFF to change the criteria so that a player who finished in the top ten in Heisman voting would be eligible.. Ealey finished 8th in 1971, and was selected to AP's third team All America.. He was selected a first team All American by the football news, but the NFF did not recognize that list at the time.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Ealey finished 8th in 1971, and was selected to AP's third team All America.. He was selected a first team All American by the football news, but the NFF did not recognize that list at the time.

YOU WOULD THINK THE NFF WOULD GO BACK AND LOOK AT SOME OF THE COLLEGE STATS OF PLAYERS OR AT LEAST THEIR NFL CAREER.

bigtimehitter
All Conference

Post by bigtimehitter »

Focused wrote:
bigtimehitter wrote:What are the rules? I've never heard em.

bigtimehitter ~ As stated in the PDT's article, a person must be selected to a first team All America list recognized by the National Football Foundation..Lots of good players at low profile schools are less likely to make first team All America over a player at a bigger school.
Some people are pushing for the NFF to change the criteria so that a player who finished in the top ten in Heisman voting would be eligible.. Ealey finished 8th in 1971, and was selected to AP's third team All America.. He was selected a first team All American by the football news, but the NFF did not recognize that list at the time.

oh ok, thanks for the info.

Return to “College Sports”