The Playoff Debate: OSU vs OU

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

The Playoff Debate: OSU vs OU

Post by Bleeding Red »

FACTS:

OU Off/Def National Ranking: 1st/111th

Top defenses played: TCU (27th), ISU (39th), WVU (75th), OKST (98th)
Best wins: WVU (16), ISU (23)
Loss: 48-45 loss to TX at home
Staggering fact: Has given up 40+ points in each of their last 4 games. Their defense has actually gotten worse since firing their DC early in the season. That is a 47.25 pt per game average over the last 4 games.

OSU Off/Def National Ranking: 2nd/67th

Top defenses played: Michigan (1st), MSU (14th), TCU (27th), PSU (36th)
Best wins: Michigan (7), PSU (12)
Loss: 49-20 Purdue
Staggering fact: Ohio State's defense has given up an average of 31 points per game.
OSU also has 2 wins better than OU's best win.
OSU has the worse of the 2 losses.

OPINION:
OU plays in a conference that is allergic to defense, thus the reason why they are #1 in the offensive column. The defensive stats are ridiculous. 111th in the country.

Ohio State has the #2 ranked offense in the country. I dont want to hear the crap about how much better OU offense is when OSU is at #2 and playing in one of the 2 toughest divisions in college football (especially defensively).

I believe that BOTH OU and OSU are better than ND. I think both would beat ND by 14+ points if played on a neutral field and all teams played to their potential.

I also believe that OSU's defense would be able to come up with several stops on OK's offense and win that head to head too.

One thing is certain, you cannot argue the facts.

Texas seems to have improved their defense over the past 4 games and I think they can get 2 or 3 stops against OU this Saturday, resulting in a Texas win.

Let the debate begin.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: The Playoff Debate: OSU vs OU

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I think that is a great, well thought out post.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

I see no reason for this debate. Ohio State would beat Ohio U in the game.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

do you mean Oklahoma. I think so as well. literally no defense.
haskins would light them up

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

farmer wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:26 am I see no reason for this debate. Ohio State would beat Ohio U in the game.
I wouldnt put Ohio University's defense down like that in a comparison to Oklahoma's defense. They are ranked 68th ;)

Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

One metric we must remember.. Maryland Beat Texas earlier in the year. So that could be in favor of the Buckeyes.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Valenth wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:04 pm One metric we must remember.. Maryland Beat Texas earlier in the year. So that could be in favor of the Buckeyes.
True. Yet they bash OSU for going into OT with them. According to the experts that was a "bad win" even though Maryland beat them on the road yet OSU beat Maryland on the road.

Funny we dont hear the same thing from OK winning in OT vs Army AT HOME!

Weird how their agenda works.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Bleeding Red wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:29 am FACTS:

OU Off/Def National Ranking: 1st/111th

Top defenses played: TCU (27th), ISU (39th), WVU (75th), OKST (98th)
Best wins: WVU (16), ISU (23)
Loss: 48-45 loss to TX at home
Staggering fact: Has given up 40+ points in each of their last 4 games. Their defense has actually gotten worse since firing their DC early in the season. That is a 47.25 pt per game average over the last 4 games.

OSU Off/Def National Ranking: 2nd/67th

Top defenses played: Michigan (1st), MSU (14th), TCU (27th), PSU (36th)
Best wins: Michigan (7), PSU (12)
Loss: 49-20 Purdue
Staggering fact: Ohio State's defense has given up an average of 31 points per game.
OSU also has 2 wins better than OU's best win.
OSU has the worse of the 2 losses.

OPINION:
OU plays in a conference that is allergic to defense, thus the reason why they are #1 in the offensive column. The defensive stats are ridiculous. 111th in the country.

Ohio State has the #2 ranked offense in the country. I dont want to hear the crap about how much better OU offense is when OSU is at #2 and playing in one of the 2 toughest divisions in college football (especially defensively).

I believe that BOTH OU and OSU are better than ND. I think both would beat ND by 14+ points if played on a neutral field and all teams played to their potential.

I also believe that OSU's defense would be able to come up with several stops on OK's offense and win that head to head too.

One thing is certain, you cannot argue the facts.

Texas seems to have improved their defense over the past 4 games and I think they can get 2 or 3 stops against OU this Saturday, resulting in a Texas win.

Let the debate begin.
FACTS no one can debate..... send that to the Committee who is absolutely in love with Oklahoma’s offense...

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

As much as I would love to believe otherwise, if Okie wins, they're in. See General, not a homer.

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Looking at next year (and assuming Haskins returns), the Bucks have a clear path to the playoffs. Potential blowup game, Nebraska in late September.

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

2018 Buckeyes versus Sooners. State-OU defense is a tossup. OU slightly better offense due to Murray's ability to run. A matchup would be a pickem game. As to the committee ranking, it is simply a reflection of Ohio State having a 29 point beat down on the plains of northwestern Indiana.

Also, though prior year results are not supposed to factor in, I am sure the committee remembers that the Big 10(14) has been outscored 69-0 in its last two playoff appearances.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

As much as I would like to see the Buckeyes get in, a 29pt loss to an average team is hard to overcome. They have nobody to blame but themselves if they don't get in. The committee didn't make them play mistake filled, uninspired football at Purdue.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

2 things-

Lets not forget that OU's offense is #1 because they play in a totally defenseless conference.

OSU's offense is #2 in the country, while playing in one of the 2 toughest defensive divisions in the country.

Also lets remember this about the playoff committee: Arent they supposed to start over EVERY week with the rankings and each week is a new week, to find the best 4 teams as of RIGHT NOW?

A 29 point loss is a big deal, no doubt. Lets not forget there is a current #4 ranked team in the country with a 20 point beat down that nobody seems to want to talk about.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Omega wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:00 am 2018 Buckeyes versus Sooners. State-OU defense is a tossup. OU slightly better offense due to Murray's ability to run. A matchup would be a pickem game. As to the committee ranking, it is simply a reflection of Ohio State having a 29 point beat down on the plains of northwestern Indiana.

Also, though prior year results are not supposed to factor in, I am sure the committee remembers that the Big 10(14) has been outscored 69-0 in its last two playoff appearances.
No doubt about that.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

Here’s my viewpoint. If OSU, OU, and Bama win this Saturday..
1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Oklahoma
4. Ohio State
Yes ND is undefeated but OSU and OU would have the same amount of wins and a conference championship to go with it. Not fair ND gets to sit out a week while other teams play an extra game to determine their fate.

If you want to argue “OSU barely squeaked by Nebraska and only beat Maryland by a 2 pt conversion” Oklahoma squeaked past Army, Texas Tech, and only best Ok State on a 2 pt conversion as well and has allowed 40+ points in their last 4 games.

ND barely squeaked past Ball St, Vandy, Pitt, and USC. Has played a common opponent with OSU in Michigan which ND won by 7 and OSU won by 23. Another common opponent in NW and won by 10. So if Ohio St beats NW this Saturday by 10+ points are they more deserving than ND? I think yes.

Now I know this isn't how things will end up and the committee has shown in the past that "conference championships don't matter" but if OSU & OU win Saturday, you'll have a 12-1 playoff deserving team with a conference championship riding the pine..

My resolution, make an 8 team playoff!
1. Bama vs 8. UCF
2. Clemson vs 7. Michigan
3. ND vs 6. OSU
4. Georgia vs 5. OU
Higher seed gets the home game for the first round

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

One thing OSU does have in their favor is money. As much as they won't admit it, money is a huge factor in this, and the Buckeyes bring ratings and fill seats better than any team in the country.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

BigGuy10 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:46 am Here’s my viewpoint. If OSU, OU, and Bama win this Saturday..
1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Oklahoma
4. Ohio State
Yes ND is undefeated but OSU and OU would have the same amount of wins and a conference championship to go with it. Not fair ND gets to sit out a week while other teams play an extra game to determine their fate.

If you want to argue “OSU barely squeaked by Nebraska and only beat Maryland by a 2 pt conversion” Oklahoma squeaked past Army, Texas Tech, and only best Ok State on a 2 pt conversion as well and has allowed 40+ points in their last 4 games.

ND barely squeaked past Ball St, Vandy, Pitt, and USC. Has played a common opponent with OSU in Michigan which ND won by 7 and OSU won by 23. Another common opponent in NW and won by 10. So if Ohio St beats NW this Saturday by 10+ points are they more deserving than ND? I think yes.

Now I know this isn't how things will end up and the committee has shown in the past that "conference championships don't matter" but if OSU & OU win Saturday, you'll have a 12-1 playoff deserving team with a conference championship riding the pine..

1. Bama vs 8. UCF
3. ND vs 6. OSU
4. Georgia vs 5. OU
Totally agree and I have said for a few years that the above 8 team playoff with the top 4 teams hosting the first round makes total sense and eliminates virtually every problem they have right now.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

se-alum wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:51 pm One thing OSU does have in their favor is money. As much as they won't admit it, money is a huge factor in this, and the Buckeyes bring ratings and fill seats better than any team in the country.
Its not taboo....its just the truth.

OSU, BAMA, ND and Michigan have the biggest brands and travel better than any other college team when it comes to football.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Bleeding Red wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:23 pm
BigGuy10 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:46 am Here’s my viewpoint. If OSU, OU, and Bama win this Saturday..
1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Oklahoma
4. Ohio State

1. Bama vs 8. UCF
3. ND vs 6. OSU
4. Georgia vs 5. OU
Totally agree and I have said for a few years that the above 8 team playoff with the top 4 teams hosting the first round makes total sense and eliminates virtually every problem they have right now.
No home fields, must be neutral sites.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:36 pm
Bleeding Red wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:23 pm
1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Oklahoma
4. Ohio State

1. Bama vs 8. UCF
3. ND vs 6. OSU
4. Georgia vs 5. OU
No home fields, must be neutral sites. (Just stick with 4 teams if you're gonna have 4 teams with a advantage from the get go., that would never fly)

Return to “College Sports”