A thought coming off of Ohio States loss.

Valenth
SEOP

A thought coming off of Ohio States loss.

Post by Valenth »

I look at everything and the drama that unfolded that led to Ohio States downfall.

I believe I have one cause for the issue... The departure of Nick Bosa.

Bosa was the glue that held that defense together with leadership and energy. I feel with him gone it leaves a gap that grew disinterest and lacks depth on that Defensive line. I think the defensive players in a sense felt abandoned by their once leader.

Another big thing that stood out to me was.. Where was the Fire and encouragement that Urban Meyer had? He looked like throughout the game like he lost his last friend. And just didn't want to be there.

That first drive that led to a FG got into the minds of the offense which made them feel like they couldn't get a touchdown. Which then snowballed into the demise.

I feel like Coach Day had a better hold of the team than when Urban Meyer returned. It seemed like Day showed more conviction and passion for the team. Urban just seems deflated and just... There to coach. No interest at all..

In a final observation. I'm going to be totally honest here. I think at the end of this season we see the torch of Ohio State head coach switch hands from Meyer to Day.

sportsjunky22
Waterboy

Re: A thought coming off of Ohio States loss.

Post by sportsjunky22 »

MUST BE ABLE TO RUN THE BALL. ALSO, MAKE SOME ADJUSTMENTS ON DEFENSE. WE ALWAYS GET BEAT IN MAN COVERAGE, WHY NOT MIX IT UP AND THROW SOME ZONE COVERAGE. OUR DEFENSE WOULD THRIVE ON TURNING TEAMS ONE DIMENSIONAL , WELL WE ARE NOW ONE DIMENSIONAL

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

During preseason predictions, many of us felt that OSU would not go undefeated, with Purdue being mentioned as a possible stumbling block. So the loss to the Boilermakers was not unexpected. What is shocking is the regression in the quality of play since Urban Meyer returned from suspension.

Bosa did not help the situation, but losing one player should not effect the performance of very unit on the team except Haskins and the wide receivers.

We have discussed the causes of the decline infinitum. My only conclusion is that the Zach Smith saga has damaged the psyche of Urban Meyer and the chemistry of the football team.

How Ohio State responds here on out will be interesting. I also would not be surprised if Meyer resigns at the end of the season.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
The General
All State

Post by The General »

Valenth wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:53 pm I look at everything and the drama that unfolded that led to Ohio States downfall.

Bosa was the glue that held that defense together with leadership and energy. I feel with him gone it leaves a gap that grew disinterest and lacks depth on that Defensive line. I think the defensive players in a sense felt abandoned by their once leader.

Another big thing that stood out to me was.. Where was the Fire and encouragement that Urban Meyer had? He looked like throughout the game like he lost his last friend. And just didn't want to be there.

That first drive that led to a FG got into the minds of the offense which made them feel like they couldn't get a touchdown. Which then snowballed into the demise.

I feel like Coach Day had a better hold of the team than when Urban Meyer returned. It seemed like Day showed more conviction and passion for the team. Urban just seems deflated and just... There to coach. No interest at all..

In a final observation. I'm going to be totally honest here. I think at the end of this season we see the torch of Ohio State head coach switch hands from Meyer to Day.
During Nick's time for ohio they got the total hell beat out of them by Clemson....SOONER....and 55-24..Tell me what he did in those games....??....They got beat by PSU in 16....Should have in 17 when he played...What did he do against Michigan in 16 and 17 when ohio should have lost?...Just wondering!!!...Has he been as a Productive player as Chase Winovich for Michigan?....I sure as HELL dont think so..But prove me wrong.....

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

I do not think the Bosa decision to leave was a big factored in the Purdue game. Because even before the Purdue game the defense was not playing well. Bosa may have been the glue which showed in the first half of the TCU game. But when he went out Jones stepped up. Which Jones has not played at that level since. The defense suffers from not having depth. With Pete Werner playing out of position at LB. Where he is undersized. He does not have the speed or strength to overcome his size. Which leds him to have to guess a lot to make plays. As well as Borland makes plays but he guesses to much instead of being able to make reads. Which puts him out of position to make plays. Harrison has great talent but can not use that talent to be in the right position. The DB's make some plays but also can not get in the right position on to many plays. The defensive line was suppose to be the strength with two first round draft picks. So without Bosa still has Jones and the rest are not living up to the hype. More than losing Bosa is the loss of Hubbard leaving to the NFL. That motor to get players hyped up to play. As well as all the crap off the field. The team is playing much like when Tressell left and Fickle took over. Sure can not say Fickle did not bring emotion to the games.

Offense the poor line play without depth hurts since the play calling is not helping the line to play the best it can. Dobbins and Webber run hard without much blocking the line all getting their blocks. The threat of Haskins not running the ball so change the plays that do not have that option. To much having the WR's being the block needed to run outside.

Schiano is playing the cards he has. He has helped to send players to the NFL. This group has talent but are not playing up to it. Who that is not playing can step in and play? Especially at linebacker.

Meyer not showing emotion maybe a cause of the medicine he is on. I think this season is really wearing on him and his health. People keep talking about this being his last season but Urban would not want to end his career like that. If it is his decision. Day is the one calling plays right now that are failing.

Ohio State is getting the 4 and 5 star recruits. They need to develop a walk on program to help get players to play with heart all the time not just on their talent level. Look at Wisconsin and what they do with way less than OSU. As well as look at the NFL. Many of the players come from small schools just out play those 4 and 5 star recruits. Most offensive lines has players from small schools who have to work hard and do the little things the right way. Until OSU improves on doing the little things right and do them all the time. They will be elite only on paper not on the field.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

I don't think that Bosa leaving has been the issue. Yes, he's a great player. One thing that he does that helps the rest of the d-line out is that offensive lines are forced to double team him, backs and tight ends are force to chip block, etc. But, with all the talent that we supposedly have on the defensive line, I haven't been super impressed with them. Something has to be done about the back seven though, they are just flat out embarrassing.

Meyer's attitude on the sidelines is what really concerns me. No emotion, no conviction, almost not a single care it looks like. His recruiting ability is off the charts, but it appears his coaching ability and fire in his coaching has disappeared.

The big issue for me is the play of the special teams. Did you watch our special teams the last game??? You can't win games if you play special teams that poorly.

OSU has become too one dimensional on offense. If you can't run the ball, you can't win.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Valenth wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:53 pm I look at everything and the drama that unfolded that led to Ohio States downfall.

val I think you are spot on, I have been saying very similar things myself. we are imploding.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

for pete's sakes guys. Eastern Michigan went into purdue and beat them the second game of the year. let's call it what it is, we are turning purdue into world beaters, FREAKING EMU BEAT THEM. we are laying turds all over the field, with some of the best athletes from across the country. we are in complete disarray.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

and I feel very betrayed by bosa. I cain't help how I feel. he seen this writing on the wall n bolted. he still had another year after this one. some may not agree with me, but that's how I feel. so if anybody is wrong it's me. but I stand by how I think.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

great points by farmer the loss of luke fickell is being felt big time. as well as assistant coach Kerry coombs.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

and everybody is on to something about urban. he is very, very distraught and unfocused.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:12 am and everybody is on to something about urban. he is very, very distraught and unfocused.
The man was crucified, like Cavanuagh!!!!! It’s a disgrace and how do we expect him to react? I’m surprised he didn’t just tell them where to stick it. He was not supported by the University and thrown under the bus.....

The General
All State

Post by The General »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:10 am great points by farmer the loss of luke fickell is being felt big time. as well as assistant coach Kerry coombs.
THE TIDE has a new D-Line Coach.....A new ILB Coach..A new special-teams Co-Ordinator..They have a new Wide Receiver Coach..(And as good as there is)...A new and 1st QB Coach EVER(again as good as they come)...They have a new Defensive Coordinator....They have a NEW Offensive Coordinator....ALL...Since last year....
Come on!!.....Just more of the SAME,OLD excuses :lol: ..The narrative and excuse now is Taver Johnson is terrible!....LB Coach Billy Davis is terrible and he is a Pinnochio Crony...Hell I believe he has coached for 8-10 NFL teams!!!...When meyer hired Alex Grinch a few months ago out from under Wazzu,he was considered one of the MOST ElITE Young defensive Coaches in America and he still is. The narrative that O-Line Coach Stud is terrible!!....Always excuses....ALWAYS excuses from this place...ALWAYS accusing and calling people and entities "HATERS"who are not ohio HOMERS or who speak out against them and tell the truth!...It is sickening. And that is why 99.9 % of college football fans make fun of them,relish in their ineptitude,and are elated when they are unsuccessful.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

I did not say as some mentioned about Schiano being let go. That he is playing the cards dealt him. Just like the offensive line coach. The players are not producing on the field. I mentioned open up all positions during the bye week to be earned on the field by whichever player who is the best on the field. A coach can push players but can not get the player to play hard and with heart all the time if the player doesn't try. Like what many showed last game. I didn't mention getting rid of the coaches but I did say if a player does not want to put out the effort then tell them bye during this bye week.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I hope this bye week gives them time to iron some things out. we need to come blasting out of the gates against Nebraska, Michigan state, Maryland and Michigan and hope some teams lose is our only shot at the playoffs.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

smurray wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:58 am
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:12 am and everybody is on to something about urban. he is very, very distraught and unfocused.
The man was crucified, like Cavanuagh!!!!! It’s a disgrace and how do we expect him to react? I’m surprised he didn’t just tell them where to stick it. He was not supported by the University and thrown under the bus.....
smurray, I won't comment much about this. and I agree with you in many regards. I wasn't there. nobody knows the whole story but the people involved. and I didn't make but a couple of comments on this on here, and none on facebook about the situation. but he was involved just enough to be singled out, whether legit or not. but he did his self no favors with a microphone in front of him. and just kept adding to the fire. bad situation for all involved. he may never be the same after this. I feel for him in many regards, and in other ways I see why he was brought up. but I believe it has permanently marred his image whether it was legit or not. and he's so high strung he may never recover from it.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:29 am
smurray wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:58 am
smurray, I won't comment much about this. and I agree with you in many regards. I wasn't there. nobody knows the whole story but the people involved. and I didn't make but a couple of comments on this on here, and none on facebook about the situation. but he was involved just enough to be singled out, whether legit or not. but he did his self no favors with a microphone in front of him. and just kept adding to the fire. bad situation for all involved. he may never be the same after this. I feel for him in many regards, and in other ways I see why he was brought up. but I believe it has permanently marred his image whether it was legit or not. and he's so high strung he may never recover from it.
With EVERYTHING that has gone on I'm surprised the Buckeyes didn't lose before the Purdue game..... I think all the injuries have taken a major toll on the program. We all have the "next man up" mentality, the "hey they are 4 & 5 star athletes" mentality - but when it comes right down to it, it isn't that easy. I am as critical on the Buckeyes as anybody but I think there has been way tooooooo much stuff happen for this team to be a top 10 team.
Yes, the "athletes" are there but there's too much distraction coming from all directions.

Just a side not: I love how everyone just flat out hated on JT last year and (like they had any say) demanded Haskins start. Now they are hating on Haskins as nothing more than a pocket passer and saying we need a running QB. JT Barrett was absolutely the best at that and was a proven winner and leader.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

A friend of mine who is an OSU fan commented on facebook... OSU is doing less with more. I have to agree with his comment.

farmer wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:09 pm
Ohio State is getting the 4 and 5 star recruits. They need to develop a walk on program to help get players to play with heart all the time not just on their talent level. Look at Wisconsin and what they do with way less than OSU. As well as look at the NFL. Many of the players come from small schools just out play those 4 and 5 star recruits. Most offensive lines has players from small schools who have to work hard and do the little things the right way. Until OSU improves on doing the little things right and do them all the time. They will be elite only on paper not on the field.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

As a fan it is hard to take. I feel the same about players skipping out on bowl games to prepare for the draft. Let's face it though, with the money to be made in the NFL you can't hardly blame these kids and their decisions. I can't say that if in the same situation I wouldn't make the same decesions they are.
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:08 am and I feel very betrayed by bosa. I cain't help how I feel. he seen this writing on the wall n bolted. he still had another year after this one. some may not agree with me, but that's how I feel. so if anybody is wrong it's me. but I stand by how I think.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

I was not a JT fan because his throwing was not even close to a receiver. Haskins is the opposite. I am fine with Haskins but bring in Martel at times to add variety.Even put both in at the same time. So the defense has to worry about more. As well as helping out the offensive line to block better.

Now more of the Zach Smith seems to have gone to maybe an end in the court system. Gives some time before the next game for players to take that in. Time to bring in the sports psychologist to help out the team and coaches. To help the mental aspect of this team.

Return to “College Sports”