Pitt upsets #2 Miami 24-14

Post by dazed&confused »

Wow. Big present for Buckeyes

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
Omega
SEOPS H

Re: Pitt upsets #2 Miami 24-14

Post by Omega »

Sure did not hurt the Buckeye's chances. Yet it looks like the committee is going to have a slew of one and two loss teams to choose from for the fourth playoff spot. State's problem is they cannot remove the stain of Iowa from their resume.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Yep, going to be interesting. Didn't PSU beat PITT earlier in the year? Think it was 33-14, Something like that.

ohwkGREATNESSyrio
All Conference

Post by ohwkGREATNESSyrio »

Just watch boys

I AM HARMS WAY. Life is a knive fight. Bring guns for the fun.
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

The Iowa loss is long ago history that won’t matter.
OSU has to win out meaning a win over undefeated #4 Wisconsin in the Big Ten Championship game.
With the Miami loss lowly Pitt, the loser of Miami/Clemson is out.
Alabama has to win out to eliminate Auburn and Georgia. Should Alabama lose to Auburn the committee could put in a one loss Bama and The SEC Champion - Buckeyes would be out.
Oklahoma needs to beat TCU in the Big 12.

If all that plays out and is very likely:
1. Alabama
2. Oklahoma
3. Clemson/Miami winner
4. Ohio State

Should Ohio State lose to Michigan and then beat Wisky the Big Ten is out.
Should Wisconsin beat Ohio State the committee will have to put Wisconsin in the playoffs.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Only thing that worries me about this game is if Miami beats Clemson close in the ACC championship. Miami is probably in but what about Clemson ? 2 close losses vs two lopsided losses for the Bucks and shellacking the Bucks last year head to head. That will make for some interesting debate for the committee! SOS might come into play and right now Clemson is way ahead in that department! Not sure the conference championship will save Bucks because it didn't do PSU a lick of good last year. About the only hope in that scenario is they don't want two teams from the same conference.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

cbolt wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:19 am Only thing that worries me about this game is if Miami beats Clemson close in the ACC championship. Miami is probably in but what about Clemson ? 2 close losses vs two lopsided losses for the Bucks and shellacking the Bucks last year head to head. That will make for some interesting debate for the committee! SOS might come into play and right now Clemson is way ahead in that department! Not sure the conference championship will save Bucks because it didn't do PSU a lick of good last year. About the only hope in that scenario is they don't want two teams from the same conference.
I don’t think so. Two losses, no championship, loss to pitiful Syracuse.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

cbolt wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:19 am Only thing that worries me about this game is if Miami beats Clemson close in the ACC championship. Miami is probably in but what about Clemson ? 2 close losses vs two lopsided losses for the Bucks and shellacking the Bucks last year head to head. That will make for some interesting debate for the committee! SOS might come into play and right now Clemson is way ahead in that department! Not sure the conference championship will save Bucks because it didn't do PSU a lick of good last year. About the only hope in that scenario is they don't want two teams from the same conference.
I think the Bucks would win that question because of the conference championship. But what worries me is everyone, even most commentators are regarding an OSU win over Wisky as an afterthought

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Ohio State has got to win out for any of this CFP talk to even have a slim chance of coming to fruition. Bucks face the possibility of two losses. Michigan is due and Wisky is good. We just need to enjoy the games as they play out.

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

1. Alabama is in
2. Winner Clemson/Miami in
3. Okla Prob in (win or loose to TCU)
4. A 2 loss GA. will be in before OSU, A 2 loss miam1 or Clemson probably in before OSU. I think many are forgetting how bad that Iowa loss was. 31 point beat down by an unranked opponent. That will weigh heavily when it comes to the final results.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

hateraid wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:01 am 1. Alabama is in
4. A 2 loss GA. will be in before OSU, A 2 loss miam1 or Clemson probably in before OSU. I think many are forgetting how bad that Iowa loss was. 31 point beat down by an unranked opponent. That will weigh heavily when it comes to the final results.
2 loss GA or Miami will not get in over OSU if they win out. Miami would've lost their final 2 games. The only real wild card is ND. Can they get in over OSU without playing a championship game. I don't think so, but don't see it being out of the realm of possibility. Hopefully Stanford beats them and knocks them out of the picture. Can't forget about the "OSU money" either. OSU being in the playoff, is good for finances.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

1. Yes Alabama is in win or lose against Auburn.
2. Oklahoma is in with a win over TCU.
3. Winner of Miami/Clemson is in - loser is out with two losses and no championship. Losses to Pitt/Syracuse as second loss eliminates them.
4. If Ohio State wins out the only way a second SEC team other than Alabama makes it is they win the SEC (Georgia/Auburn).
Georgia will not beat out Ohio State if they have two losses and no championship.

* Notre Dame with two losses and no Championship will be left out. Hopefully Stanford beats them anyway.

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

se-alum wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:10 am
2 loss GA or Miami will not get in over OSU if they win out. Miami would've lost their final 2 games. The only real wild card is ND. Can they get in over OSU without playing a championship game. I don't think so, but don't see it being out of the realm of possibility. Hopefully Stanford beats them and knocks them out of the picture. Can't forget about the "OSU money" either. OSU being in the playoff, is good for finances.
Lets break this down...
I think a 2 loss GA does get in before OSU. Their losses will be to 2 top 10 teams. The conference championship means nothing for OSU the committee set the precedence for that last year by letting OSU in, just to be embarrassed, without one. GA also has a huge fan base so your finance argument is ridiculous and out the door.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Oklahoma / TCU could throw a curve ball in all this.
TCU beats Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship, do they take TCU ( I can’t see it ) as the conference champion and Oklahoma?
If they don’t take TCU after just beating Oklahoma how do they take Oklahoma with two losses who just lost the conference championship.
THIS IS THE WILD CARD!!!!!

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Love this score.

How could Bama make it if they lose today?
They do not win their part of the SEC, which means they do not make the SEC championship game.

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:13 pm Love this score.

How could Bama make it if they lose today?
They do not win their part of the SEC, which means they do not make the SEC championship game.
Same way OSU made it last year

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Understood.
I was having a brain cramp.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Bama going down 26-14 halfway thru the 4th. This is chaos that will work against the Bucks.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

OSU may just be on the outside looking in even with a win over top 4 Wisky next week.
BAMA going down which could not happen.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

hateraid wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:44 am
se-alum wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:10 am
Lets break this down...
I think a 2 loss GA does get in before OSU. Their losses will be to 2 top 10 teams. The conference championship means nothing for OSU the committee set the precedence for that last year by letting OSU in, just to be embarrassed, without one. GA also has a huge fan base so your finance argument is ridiculous and out the door.
LOL...are you really comparing the Georgia fan base with OSU? OSU has a nationwide fan base, UGA is regional. OSU moves the needle significantly more than UGA, and it's not even close.

Thinking 'Bama gets left out. Poor resume, and easily handled by Auburn. That game wasn't as close as the score would suggest. Auburn dominated.

Return to “College Sports”