Akron's sports at risk???

Stretch
Waterboy

Akron's sports at risk???

Post by Stretch »

After reading this article, students should be the ones that are going to suffer. Already cut a non-revenue boys sport (baseball). What's next ? Girls sports?

http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/uni ... 2525252525

REMEMBER THE TITANS !
Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Re: Akron's sports at risk???

Post by Chieftain2009 »

I saw this awhile back, Akron is cutting a lot of costs. I think OU is already heading that way. They only offer the basic sports, especially in men's athletics. I also saw awhile back where Akron was cutting their theater and performing arts department (I'm pretty sure it was Akron).

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Chieftain2009 wrote:I saw this awhile back, Akron is cutting a lot of costs. I think OU is already heading that way. They only offer the basic sports, especially in men's athletics. I also saw awhile back where Akron was cutting their theater and performing arts department (I'm pretty sure it was Akron).

OHIO offers 15 sanctioned NCAA sports and is on much better financial footing than the University of Akron as a school and as and ICA. While Akron offers 18 sports and needed to trim some fat that OHIO trimmed years ago. To be DI you must offer a minimum of 14 varsity sports, 7 men's and 7 women's, or 6/8 split.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

I remember Ohio,Bowling Green and Toledo cut their men's track team years ago to cut costs.Ironically they all have more women's sports team's now than they do for men.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

I cannot locate the link, but the Akron Beacon had an article last summer where a University advisory committee recommended exploring a drop to FCS (1-AA) in football. It is not only the expense of football, but the need to offer an equal number of women's athletic scholarships under Title Nine, which is only fair. The other side of the coin is revenue and the TV pot for the mid major conferences is apt to start running dry given the troubles of ESPN and declining subscribers. I am sure Kent, Miami (Oh) and most of the MAC are in the same boat to some degree. It is the golden rule, them (the Power 5 conferences) that has the gold rules.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Omega wrote:I cannot locate the link, but the Akron Beacon had an article last summer where a University advisory committee recommended exploring a drop to FCS (1-AA) in football. It is not only the expense of football, but the need to offer an equal number of women's athletic scholarships under Title Nine, which is only fair. The other side of the coin is revenue and the TV pot for the mid major conferences is apt to start running dry given the troubles of ESPN and declining subscribers. I am sure Kent, Miami (Oh) and most of the MAC are in the same boat to some degree. It is the golden rule, them (the Power 5 conferences) that has the gold rules.

That was a faculty thing, and if you pay attention, OHIO deals with this every couple of years as well, led by renowned economist Richard Vedder and professor Steven Hayes.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

cbolt wrote:I remember Ohio,Bowling Green and Toledo cut their men's track team years ago to cut costs.Ironically they all have more women's sports team's now than they do for men.
Almost Every DI school that has scholarship football has more women's sports. That is the ONLY way they can become Title IX compliant. Even OSU with the largest athletic program in the nation has an unbalanced sports offering, though they are closer than most

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I HATE SEEING THIS.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

I think the only Sports they would keep in Men's Sports would be Football, Baseball and Basketball.... Other sports just don't draw the money in.... Sad to see this happen.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Akron doesn't have baseball. And only in the south does College Baseball make any money at all.

Return to “College Sports”