NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

OU vs Louisiana-Monroe in Independence Bowl

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/co ... story.html
Louisiana-Monroe will meet Ohio in the Independence Bowl

By Associated Press,
Published: December 2

SHREVEPORT, La. — Louisiana-Monroe, playing in its first bowl game, will meet Ohio in the Independence Bowl.

The Independence Bowl selected Ohio (8-4, 4-4 Mid-American Conference) after being told Louisiana Tech was not yet ready to accept an invitation the Dec. 28 contest that could have been a matchup of two north Louisiana schools.

The Warhawks (8-4, 6-2 Sun Belt Conference) announced Saturday that they had accepted an invitation to play in Shreveport, which is a drive of less than two hours from Monroe.

The Warhawks played in two overtime games against Southeastern Conference opponents this season, defeating Arkansas and losing to Auburn. ULM now heads into the postseason having won seven of its last nine games.

“To have a historic season culminate in a bowl such as the Independence Bowl and the great city of Shreveport is extra special,” said Louisiana-Monroe coach Todd Berry. “This team continues to work very hard. The ULM faithful can be very proud of this team both on and off the field and can know that we will give a maximum effort toward bringing the Independence Bowl trophy home with us.”

The Bobcats, whose selection was announced Sunday night, opened the 2012 season 7-0, including a victory at Penn State. Ohio was ranked as high as No. 25 in the AP poll, but lost four of its last five games.

Ohio will be playing in its fourth straight bowl and second in Louisiana since 2010, when the Bobcats fell to Troy in the New Orleans Bowl.

Ohio and ULM will be meeting for the first time. It will be the first appearance for Ohio in the Independence Bowl, but the second for coach Frank Solich, coached Nebraska in a 27-23 loss against Ole Miss in 2002.

Ohio athletic director Jim Schaus noted that he played for Oregon when the Ducks beat Tulsa team in the Independence Bowl in 1989.

“I am just so impressed with the history of the Bowl and how first-class it is,” Schaus said. “We are looking forward to the matchup, and we couldn’t be happier.”

Led by quarterback Kolton Browning, the ULM has averaged 442.7 yards and 35.5 points per game. Browning has 2,830 yards passing and 27 touchdowns.

Ohio quarterback Tyler Tettleton has completed 62 percent of his passes this season for 2,513 yards and 16 TDs. He has had help from running back Beau Blankenship, who averaged 125 yards rushing and compiled a school-record 1,500 yards rushing and 11 touchdowns this season.

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

Re: OU vs Louisiana-Monroe in Independence Bowl

Post by LoganElm_grad09 »

Finish the season 8-4, making money second only to Northern Illinois. Thank you Louisiana Tech!

Slow their passing game and we possibly could be able to pull this one off.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Monroe is good

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Ohio needs to come out of the late season funk they are in and post a big win in this game.

Remember_The_Name
SEOP

Post by Remember_The_Name »

Should be a good matchup, was OU plagued with injuries toward the later half of the season?

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

If OU were healthier I would pick them and L-M is pretty good so L-M is the pick, but go cats!

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

darn, I just read that entire article and not once did I see the word OU, it's OHIO people! If the NY Times can get it right you'd think some of you guys could. I know, you've said OU all your lives, but seriously the University tries very hard to push their Brand.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

I am rooting for OHIO, Ohio University, OU, the Bobcats and hopefully the time off has allowed them to heal up some. A victory would help carry some momentum into next year. The MAC is starting to get some respect now (7 schools in bowl games & one in a BCS bowl) and a strong showing (preferably a victory) will also assist in recruiting.

PolPot, I find your relentless pursuit of enforcing correctness amusing....considering your screen name is everything but political correctness or representing anything even close to being correct. However, I do understand your persistence and admire your tenacious approach in informing everyone what the correct reference to OHIO University should be. By the way, is it OHIO University or Ohio University? :?:

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

I think everybody in these parts know who "OU" is pot, and its not Oklahoma,if we just say "Ohio" we don't want to confuse people like brady hoke.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

C-Bolt wrote:I think everybody in these parts know who "OU" is pot, and its not Oklahoma,if we just say "Ohio" we don't want to confuse people like brady hoke.
Good one....LMAO

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Just show's continued ignorance, because Ohio refers to Ohio University, and then you have The Ohio State. There is only one OHIO!

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

PolPot, no one is trying to display any disrespect or in your words "continued ignorance" when referring to Ohio University as simply OU. Apparently the abbreviation and use of OU is acceptable on the Ohio University's Recruiting page. I sure hope these future athletes don't get confused and think they are being recruited by Oklahoma.

By the way, what is your prediction on the game PolPot? I am quite aware of your opinion of what the school should be addressed as, but I have never actually seen you discuss, debate, enlighten, inform or offer anything pertaining to the actual sporting event concerning this thread.

Welcome Recruits

Thank you for your interest in becoming a Bobcat. Ohio University strives for excellence in both athletics and academics. OU expects great things from all its athletic teams and its student-athletes.

The mission of Ohio University Athletics is to successfully develop the student-athlete as a person, student and athlete. Student-athletes are encouraged by the coaches and administrative staff to maintain a balance between athletics, academics and the social aspects of college.

• OU Athletics Travel Guide | Maps & Directions
• Tour Our Facilities | OU Academics & Student Services
• OU Athletics Media Coverage | OU Sports Network
• Search APR, GSR, Graduation Rates

Visiting OU

The best way to experience Ohio University is a visit to the campus in Athens.

• Visit Campus | Athletics Travel Guide
• Tour Guides
• Driving Directions | In & Around Athens

http://www.ohiobobcats.com/recruiting/

VegasEagle
Varsity

Post by VegasEagle »

Would love to see OU win but I think they get Rolled!!!!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i'm rooting for the bobcats , but monroe has a very solid team-------GO CATS.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Hoggy wrote:PolPot, no one is trying to display any disrespect or in your words "continued ignorance" when referring to Ohio University as simply OU. Apparently the abbreviation and use of OU is acceptable on the Ohio University's Recruiting page. I sure hope these future athletes don't get confused and think they are being recruited by Oklahoma.

By the way, what is your prediction on the game PolPot? I am quite aware of your opinion of what the school should be addressed as, but I have never actually seen you discuss, debate, enlighten, inform or offer anything pertaining to the actual sporting event concerning this thread.

Welcome Recruits

Thank you for your interest in becoming a Bobcat. Ohio University strives for excellence in both athletics and academics. OU expects great things from all its athletic teams and its student-athletes.

The mission of Ohio University Athletics is to successfully develop the student-athlete as a person, student and athlete. Student-athletes are encouraged by the coaches and administrative staff to maintain a balance between athletics, academics and the social aspects of college.

• OU Athletics Travel Guide | Maps & Directions
• Tour Our Facilities | OU Academics & Student Services
• OU Athletics Media Coverage | OU Sports Network
• Search APR, GSR, Graduation Rates

Visiting OU

The best way to experience Ohio University is a visit to the campus in Athens.

• Visit Campus | Athletics Travel Guide
• Tour Guides
• Driving Directions | In & Around Athens

http://www.ohiobobcats.com/recruiting/

Ohio Atheltics specificially requires all media to refrain from using the term OU when refering to OHIO Athletics teams. It's right in black and white on the Athletics Department Media page. I posted the link about a month back, but obviously some of you couldn't make it work, or read it one.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ohi ... 214aaa.pdf

Page 1

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

So far I have not seen anyhwere where they have told people on SEOP to refrain from using it,do you think they really care? Maybe you better have them post an official message on here so we also refrain from using it :roll:

VegasEagle
Varsity

Post by VegasEagle »

C-Bolt wrote:So far I have not seen anyhwere where they have told people on SEOP to refrain from using it,do you think they really care? Maybe you better have them post an official message on here so we also refrain from using it :roll:
Agree 100% I call them OU.... Who on here has ever heard anyone say.... Say lets go to Ohio University and party for Halloween????? Ugh NOBODY EVER!!!!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i know when ironton drew playoff games at peden stadium , we all said OU, but that's just how we said it here, everybody knew who we were referring to.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

If you are from this area we know OU isn't Oklahoma or Oregon

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:i know when ironton drew playoff games at peden stadium , we all said OU, but that's just how we said it here, everybody knew who we were referring to.
I was at one of them games,they was playing Orrville I think and I remember buying one of them orange horns off some kid for 2 dollars, I went to a few of them halloween parties, but don't remember much of anything except long bright green thingies swinging in the air LOL those were good times at "OU".

Return to “College Sports”