Who will be Lllllloyd's replacement?

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Steve Mariucci was on campus today!!!! Reproted by the Detroit Free Press.

buckeye21
JV Team

Post by buckeye21 »

Ok we can cross out Les Miles now. So who are they looking at now peake? What are your "sources" telling you?

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Schiano is #1 now, but he seems to be holding onto being the next PSU coach. Brody Hoke was interviewed today. Bryan Kelly seems a solid 2nd option.

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

Michigan AD interviews Rutgers’ Schiano; Report: Offer could come as soon as today

December 7, 2007

By MARK SNYDER

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

The latest twists in Michigan’s attempt to hire its next football coach:

• Athletic director Bill Martin interviewed Rutgers coach Greg Schiano.

Advertisement
• Les Miles finally signed his amended contract with Louisiana State.

On Wednesday, Martin met with Schiano in New York, several people familiar with the situation told the Free Press on Thursday. Schiano, 41, is considered one of the brightest young coaches in the profession because he has taken a perennial loser to three straight bowls. In 2006, Rutgers went 11-2, and he nearly swept the coach of the year awards.

Martin and Schiano are expected to meet again.

The East Brunswick Home News Tribune reported, citing an anonymous source with knowledge of the meeting, that a formal offer wasn't made, but Schiano could be offered the job as early as today.

The source told the Home News Tribune, "there's mutual interest from both sides."

Rutgers Athletics Director Bob Mulcahy told the paper Thursday he was aware that the meeting took place, but declined further comment.

"All I can tell you is Greg Schiano is our football coach," Mulcahy said.

Schiano’s pedigree fits many of the criteria Martin has outlined for Lloyd Carr’s successor. Schiano has significant experience as a head coach — he’s in his seventh season at Rutgers. He is familiar with a high-profile football atmosphere — he was defensive coordinator at Miami (Fla.) in 1999-2000. He has Midwest recruiting ties — he was a Penn State assistant in 1990-95. And he has youth on his side — Martin ideally wants a coach who could stay on the job 10 to 15 years.

Also, Schiano’s salary ($1.73 million) is only slightly more than Carr’s $1.5 million. Martin has said U-M is prepared to pay twice that. The country’s highest-paid coaches make $3 million to $4 million annually.

Schiano also has NFL experience, which was not on Martin’s criteria but could be a recruiting edge. Schiano was an assistant with the Bears in 1996-98.

Although Schiano won just three games combined in his first two seasons, Rutgers’ administration stuck with him and the Scarlet Knights started to improve.

They finished 11-2 in 2006 and 7-5 this season to earn their third straight bowl — against Ball State in the International Bowl. Before Schiano, Rutgers had been to a bowl once — the Garden State in 1978.

This adds to Schiano’s intrigue as a U-M candidate: Speculation has been that he isn’t interested in another major college job, other than Penn State’s someday. After last season, he rejected overtures from Miami. Rutgers rewarded him with a seven-year extension to 2016 and a handsome raise. He also has family ties in the area.

Schiano's deal contains a buyout of $750,000 if Schiano were to leave Rutgers between the end of the 2007 regular season and the beginning of the 2008 campaign.

Martin already was in New York for the National Football Foundation’s Hall of Fame dinner Tuesday night. He had a number of reasons to attend that have nothing to do with the coaching search: He has been a member of the NFF’s board of directors since 2006 and two men with Michigan ties — U-M defensive back Dave Brown and former Central Michigan coach Herb Deromedi — were being inducted. Deromedi has spent the past few years assisting Carr’s staff. Schiano attended the dinner with his Draddy Trophy finalist Brandon Renkart.

The International Bowl, played in Toronto, will pit Schiano against Brady Hoke, the only external candidate who has said he had a preliminary discussion with Martin. Hoke had been an assistant for Carr.

Associate athletic director Bruce Madej said U-M had no comment on the search.

Free Press news services contributed

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Am I good or what, i beat the free press writer to the punch. Schiano is a bit more interested than most thought, and he is not holding out for the PSU job like I was told either. This one will be interesting because Michigan is looking to move fast. The other good thing would be that one of UM's verbal commits JB Fitzgerald, a Linebacker out of NJ, was said to be shopping around, his #2 Rutgers! Also Safety Brandon Smith who is the #2 ranked Safety in the country has narrowed his search down to Rutgers and Michigan. Jack Pot!

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I heard this morning that Schiano has said thanks, but no thanks. He was making about 1.6 million at Rutgers and UM offered him 2.3. This tells me he really is in love with PSU, and that he used this oppurtunity to lobby with Rutgers to get the ball rolling on his stadium renovation that has stalled.

Anyways, I am now hearing UM is looking towards the NFL, back with more around noon.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

OK so I beat ESPN, scout, Detriot Free Press, and The Ann Arbor News to the story. Good day for me, lol. Anyways, I am being told that you should keep an eye on a current NFL coach in the next few days. :shock:

buckeye21
JV Team

Post by buckeye21 »

Care to elaborate more on this NFL coach?

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

peake wrote:I heard this morning that Schiano has said thanks, but no thanks. He was making about 1.6 million at Rutgers and UM offered him 2.3. This tells me he really is in love with PSU, and that he used this oppurtunity to lobby with Rutgers to get the ball rolling on his stadium renovation that has stalled.

Anyways, I am now hearing UM is looking towards the NFL, back with more around noon.

Schiano is making 1.6 million gauranteed until 2014. It is more money to go to UM along with more stress. If he can get the renovations he is the man where at UM there is always going to be Bo and those before him. Both jobs has its good and bad.

Was it a current NFL Coach Gruden or an ex NFL coach Steve Mariuchi. If Gruden he has not done much after winning the Super Bowl and is always looking for a QB or a collection of QB's. Mariuchi did a good job but he has connections with Coach Izzo at the hated Michigan State.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Gruden should make the playoffs this season as a wildcard, but he was also amazingly successful in Oakland, where he was cheated out of a Super Bowl (tuck rule). But, it is not Gruden or Marriuci, look south, way south!

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Ok, are you ready for this???? I am still being told that Sean Peyton is a target. SHould be interesting to see how this turns out. In a wild turn of events, scout is reporting that Les Miles will in fact talk to Michigan this week, and may possibly negotiate a contract. WOWZER!

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Ok, the story I was told is that Schiano actually said he wanted the UM job. He called a team meeting this morning ot discuss it with his team, than for some reason changed his mind, and told UM no thanks.

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

Michigan's list of potential candidates still includes Wake Forest's Jim Grobe, California's Jeff Tedford, Missouri's Gary Pinkel, North Carolina State's Tom O'Brien, Ball State's Brady Hoke, Michigan offensive coordinator Mike DeBord and Wolverines defensive coordinator Ron English.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Mike Debord is not a candidate. I don't know who your sources are but no one wants Debord back. Those on your list are a list compiled by an educated guess, not actual inside information.

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

peake wrote:Mike Debord is not a candidate. I don't know who your sources are but no one wants Debord back. Those on your list are a list compiled by an educated guess, not actual inside information.

The Detroit Free Press.

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

* Freep.com
* »
* Sports
* »
* Wolverines

SHUNNED! Rutgers' Greg Schiano says 'no thanks' to Michigan; what's next?

December 8, 2007

BY MARK SNYDER

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

After a brief stop on the East Coast, Michigan's football coaching search moves to its next destination -- a location that remains unclear.

Rutgers coach Greg Schiano withdrew from the hunt Friday morning, two days after he interviewed with Michigan athletic director Bill Martin in New York.

Advertisement
In a 7 a.m. team meeting, Schiano told his players that he was staying at Rutgers, and the university later released a statement.

"I was contacted earlier this week about the Michigan coaching vacancy, but I have decided to remove my name from consideration," Schiano said in the statement. "I look forward to our third straight bowl game and to bringing a national championship to Rutgers and the state of New Jersey. I will have no further comment."

All of which might point the search back to Louisiana State coach Les Miles, the continuing subject of a significant e-mail- and letter-writing campaign fueled by former players to Martin, president Mary Sue Coleman and the board of regents.

While many speculate that the Miles door is closed for Michigan, his contract still contains a $1.25-million buyout if he were to leave for the Wolverines -- essentially making his situation no different than before the contract was amended.

With a month remaining before the BCS national championship game and Michigan without a coach, Miles is believed to be open to conversation with Michigan, according to four sources familiar with Miles' thinking.

Schiano's rejection was a dagger for Michigan, as the sides had discussed a potential deal.

His withdrawal opens the door for other candidates. Schiano, 41, grew up in New Jersey and has extended family there. In coaching searches, neither the school nor the coach ever wants to appear rejected on a formal offer, but it's believed the discussions were substantial.

However, Michigan did not contact Rutgers for permission to interview Schiano, according to Rutgers sports information director Jason Baum.

That contradicts Martin's comments at the beginning of the search, when he said he would ask for permission from an opposing athletic director to speak to his coach. He said at the time, "I will always take the high road."

It's now approaching three weeks since Lloyd Carr announced his retirement Nov. 19, and Michigan, at least publicly, appears no closer to a decision.

The known candidates are current coordinators Mike DeBord and Ron English, who remain on the staff, though English reportedly is a candidate for Arkansas' vacancy.

Ball State coach Brady Hoke has spoken with Martin about the U-M position, though he characterized the contact as preliminary and not a formal interview.

While Miles signed his amended LSU contract Thursday, he has yet to publicly distance himself from Michigan.

"I met my wife at Michigan; I had my first child there. I was raised as a coach there," Miles said Friday on Dan Patrick's radio show. "Do you just turn around and tell those people, 'Leave me alone' -- before they even ask to speak to you?"

Miles again repeated on the show that he never had a formal offer from Michigan. But, as the Free Press reported last week, there were extensive discussions with people from both sides, through informal channels, leading up to last weekend.

The Star-Ledger of Newark, N.J., citing an unnamed football staff member, said Schiano told his team he "still had work to do" at Rutgers and that Schiano looked "tired, beaten-up and physically exhausted."

Those close to Schiano have long thought he had too many factors keeping him in New Jersey, including his roots and family, a significant financial commitment in his reworked contract after last season ($1.7 million per year) and even a tax-free loan and university property cleared for him on campus, where he recently built a home.

This is the second straight year Schiano has faced significant interest from a major football school. Following the 2006 season, when Schiano won numerous coach of the year awards for guiding Rutgers to an 11-2 record, he was wooed by Miami (Fla.) with a reported salary offer of $2.2 million per season.

An array of individuals have been contacted by U-M during the coaching search, but most are not viable candidates and were contacted as much for their knowledge of other coaches.

Michigan associate athletic director Bruce Madej said U-M had no comment on the search.

Contact MARK SNYDER at 313-223-3210 or msnyder@freepress.com. Check out his Wolverines blog at http://www.freep.com/sports.

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

no body wants us :cry: :cry: :cry:

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

As I previously stated, the Free Press is an educated guess. Yes in their eyes they remain candidates because they were the only one's formally interviewed. Does anyone really think Debord is a candidate after running CMU into the ground, and than not being able to generate much offense as the offensive coordinator at UM? Absolutly not! He is a hypothetical candidate, but I garuntee he is not an actual candidate. Ron English as a one year interm if Michigan struggles, maybe, but no way to Debord. Scout.com ruled him out from day one!

Les Miles is back to #1, with Sean Payton a serious 2nd.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

With the talent down in the state of Michigan and more players staying at home in near by-states--Michigan won't be back on top for sometime. If this keeps up Michigan might be pulling an Athens.

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

I don't even think the new Michigan coach has even been mentioned by anyone. I haven't read this entire thread so I could be wrong but I am hearing that Big East Coach of the Year, Brian Kelly of Cincinnati, will be the next coach, but then again I have no inside info, pure speculation.

Return to “College Sports”