Who will be Lllllloyd's replacement?

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

At least Carr actually won a Consensus National Championship.... No one at Michigan had been able to do that since Yost 8)

Woody struggled late in his career against Michigan. As did Carr v. OSU.

Many in the Blue Nation probably have nightmares about the Sweater Vest... Many OSU fans had nightmares about Carr when he was dominating Cooper.

With that being said, this year has been disgraceful to say the least for Michigan. A loss to DII Appy State + a 4th straight loss to Ohio State (the first time since '63) is unacceptable....

However, many people (myself included) over-estimated UM this year. I seriously thought UM would compete for a National Title.... I told people "If Tressel beats UM this year, Carr should be gone because he will have talent and experience on his team and he will have no excuse for losing".

The fact is that OSU's players get it. They get what Ohio State Football is all about and they get what beating Michigan is all about. They know how to win and they know how to beat UM.

Winning breeds winning. Michigan's senior class has never won a bowl game, and they've never beaten OSU. They don't know how to beat OSU. Losing breeds losing. Henne and Hart (on paper) are the best QB/RB duo in UM history, but they've never figured out how to beat OSU.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

LES MILES, IN MY OPINION, WOULD BE CRAZY TO LEAVE SUNNY LOU-SIANA FOR SOUTHERN CANADA. ALUM OR NOT. LSU, WILL PAY HIM MORE, IF HE JUST ACTS INTERESTED.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Miles would not be crazy at all to leave. Soon Michigan will be exactly what Michigan is to College Football. Many people said the same thing about the OSU program in 99 when they went 6-6. Michigan will rebuild and they will be where they want to be soon.

Bennie Osterban actually won two national titles Fuzzy in 47 and 48.

buckeye21
JV Team

Post by buckeye21 »

Michigan has greater tradition and history than LSU and I know they can still bring in the recruits so I don't think Miles would be crazy to leave for the state up north either.

rockhillbasketball
All Conference

Post by rockhillbasketball »

who the hell would wanna coach them.. :lol:

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

peake wrote:Bennie Osterban actually won two national titles Fuzzy in 47 and 48.

You are partially right, peake. Oosterbaan won the title in '48, but Cristler won the title in '47....

Also, Oosterbaan's winning % was a mere .650 in 10 years at UM. Besides Schembechler, Carr has the highest winning percentage of any UM coach since Crisler, who compiled an outstanding .806 percentage in 9 years at UM, cumulating with the National Title in '47.....

Carr wasn't a bad coach and he is an excellent human being...

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

I would like to see the D cordinator take over he hates losing and wont execpt anything but perfection

but thats just me

MILES it is

phishing
Waterboy

Post by phishing »

Dont forget the UC coach as well . He is also been mentioned. Has a coaching history in Mich, as well coaching Eastern or Western cant remember.

May the Birds of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose.
MightyOaksFan
SE

Post by MightyOaksFan »

Llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllles Miles

phishing
Waterboy

Post by phishing »

Dont also forget the coach from Iowa. But I agree it will go first to Les Miles. Just depends on what he wants to do.

May the Birds of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose.
BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

bLaCk-N-bLuE wrote:jerry moore from appy state
smart A$$

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Heard something interesting on Les Miles. Seems like he was the only assistant that didn't stay when Carr took over. Miles left to take the O Coordinator job at Oklahoma State. Guess Carr didn't care for Miles. Did Carr set up his successor not to be Miles by resigning at this time and making sure that his assistant still had a year left on their contract? Maybe Carr thought he would have a great season with the seniors coming back and then could name his successor.

Just some questions that were raised by a sports writer so is it true or not will be seen. If true seems like Miles may not have all the support of the Michigan faithfull. If Miles is the choice how long will they wait before offering him the job so it won't effect recruits. Also will it effect the LSU players the longer it goes. LSU has gone thur before a coach saying they would not leave and Saban left. Will that effect recruiting also for LSU.

On Farenez the Iowa coach he was doing good until they signed him to a long term contract for a lot more money. His last 2 years have been disappointing.

So maybe Cincinnati coach Brian Kelly maybe become the front runner. Kelly is only in his first year at Cincinnati.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

I don't know about Miles. I know that recently Brandon Thompson, a DT recruit from the south, visited OSU because he and his family were turned off by Miles. They said that they didn't appreciate the fact that the "F" word comes out of his mouth at least 3 times per sentence. I guess the kid's mom said it was disgusting how dirty he talked. I realize this is football, but it is still college football, and Michigan has always claimed to stand for class.

Miles also had a lower winning percentage at Oklahoma State than Glen Mason had at both Kansas and Minnesota. So really, Glen Mason has just as an impressive resume, but he was never handed over one of the most talented teams in the country.

Don't forget that Oklahoma State was favored over Ohio State in 2004, and the Buckeyes ran them off the field 33-7. That was with the Clarret-gate undergoing, Troy Smith suspended for $500, and Justin Zwick hobbling on one leg. Miles even tried to hire Mark Snyder as defensive coordinator at LSU, as Snyder was the OSU D coordinator at the time of the Alamo Bowl. Apparently, he wanted some of OSU's coaches.

USAF_Defender23
Varsity

Post by USAF_Defender23 »

Les Miles said on ESPN that he is happy at LSU and dosen't want to 'hurt' his team. He's probably just saying that now but we'll have to see after the season is over.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Miles and Carr are night and day, so this is no surprise.

BTW, he never offered Coach Snyder ot be his d coordinator. For one Snyder was demoted to co- d coordinator 6 games into the season because he sucked so bad as the d coordinator.

Mike Trgovac is another guy with Michigan ties that is being considered. He is the defensive coordinator for the Carolina Panthers.

Don't rule out John Gruden who said UM is his dream job.

Michigan will pay for their next coach!

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

peake wrote:Miles and Carr are night and day, so this is no surprise.

BTW, he never offered Coach Snyder ot be his d coordinator. For one Snyder was demoted to co- d coordinator 6 games into the season because he sucked so bad as the d coordinator.

Mike Trgovac is another guy with Michigan ties that is being considered. He is the defensive coordinator for the Carolina Panthers.

Don't rule out John Gruden who said UM is his dream job.

Michigan will pay for their next coach!

No, he never publically offered Snyder. He asked Snyder privately if he was interested. Snyder said no. Don't question me on this one peake. Some things I think, and others I know. This I know.

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

fuzzhead wrote:At least Carr actually won a Consensus National Championship.... No one at Michigan had been able to do that since Yost 8)

Carr didn't win a consensus championship, he split it with Tom Osborne of Nebraska.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_NCAA_Division_I-A_football_season
The 1997 NCAA Division I-A football season ended with a split championship for the third time in the 1990s.

In Tom Osborne's last season as head coach, Nebraska took over the #1 ranking in the nation after defeating Texas Tech midway through the season. Three weeks later, despite winning at Missouri in a thrilling double overtime 38-35 game, in which a kick-ball deflection touchdown pass by Nebraska tied the game up in regulation, Nebraska slipped to a #2 ranking in the polls.

In the end, however, Nebraska captured one half of the title. Undefeated #2 Nebraska squared off in the Orange Bowl versus #3 Tennessee. It was a dominating 42-17 victory for Nebraska over Tennessee in what was the designated Bowl Alliance championship game.

The consensus #1 team going into the bowl season was undefeated Michigan, coached by coach of the year Lloyd Carr and led by Heisman Trophy winner Charles Woodson. Michigan went into the Rose Bowl against #8 Washington State ranked #1 in both the AP and the USA Today/ESPN Coaches Poll. After a 21-16 Rose Bowl victory, they slipped a notch in the coaches poll to #2, but retained their position in the writers poll.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Well if Miles offered a man that was demoted, and that is fact, than good for him.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

This was taken from Pro Football Talk.com

FERENTZ TO MICHIGAN TALK HEATING UP

A league source tells us that Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz has a "real shot" at becoming the next coach of the Michigan Wolverines.

Since Ferentz is a college coach and Michigan is a college job, the story isn't directly relevant to a pro football site. But because Ferentz's name comes up from time to time in connection with NFL vacancies, it deserves a mention here.

Some believe that Ferentz has been waiting to jump to the NFL until Pats V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli is a General Manager with another team, and is hiring a head coach. As the source pointed out to us, however, capping a 6-6 season with a loss to Western Michigan might require Ferentz to jump out of Iowa, before he's eventually pushed.

Return to “College Sports”