SEOPS HO

Re: Week 12 - Ohio St. Vs scUM

Post by abuck76 »

Image............. :12224

GoBuckeyes2786
Varsity

Post by GoBuckeyes2786 »

I read earlier the buckeyes will wear alternate uniforms for the game this week. Said to be along the lines of the uniforms from the 1960s and be made a honor of the 68' championship team.

Scarlet jersey, big gray numbers on front back and shoulders, black stripe on sleeve, 7 buckeye leafs on back collar, wider striping on the pants. Helmets would have much wider striping down the center and be a dull chrome.

Basically much of what dubs said the other day. It was posted by 11warriors after the announcement was made

cool cucumber
All Conference

Post by cool cucumber »

I hope the Bucks win big! Muck Fichigan!

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

Jerseys for Michigan.

Reflective numbers.

GoBuckeyes2786
Varsity

Post by GoBuckeyes2786 »

Nice. Have more of a old school throw back look than I had anticipated and from the original photo flying around. I like em!

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I thought I'd make an appearance for the big game talk.

First of all, congrats on a great season thus far. Everyone knew Urban would do a great job at OSU, little did we know he would kill it coming out of the gates like this.

I'll give you my breakdown on Michigan.

Two of their three losses have come to the #1 and #2 teams in the country. I honestly think if OSU plays these two they are probably looking at two losses here as well, possibly only one, hard to tell. What I am getting at is I don't think you can get a good read of how good either team really is by looking at their schedules. Michigan has beaten only one currently ranked opponent this season, and Ohio State has only beaten one as well. Michigan could easily be 10-1 or 6-5 at this point. They both are what they are.

Anyways, Michigan is finally becoming what it has set out to be under Hoke. They are fundamentally sound football team who is going to hit you in the mouth for 60 minutes. One thing I have yet to see in his two years, is a Michigan team give up at any point. I never feel like Michigan is out of a game, because of this mentality.

What we have seen over the past three weeks, is a transition from going from the gun 75% of the time and running a lot of spread principals and read option, to under center about 50% of the time and bringing it right at you. They have had limited success so far with this. With Devin at QB, this is certainly a more potent offense imo. Devin in limited time has shown the ability to stretch the field with his arm, and keep plays alive with his feet. I don't think OSU will be able to bring heat like they would with Denard, simply because Devin will exploit a defense by throwing it down the field. Bringing the heat on Denard meant he either kills you with his feet, or he throws up a jump ball where you have about a 75% chance of picking it. So, I don't think you will see OSU come after Devin like they would Denard. This may actually play into the hands of the Bucks, because there have only been a hand full of plays that were designed QB runs with Devin at QB. With the way the UM offensive line has been playing, it may serve OSU better to sit in a base and force UM into third and short. The run game hasn't blown people away, and the offensive line has been average all year. The key matchup in this game imo, is Devin Funchess. If Devin can open up the middle of the field, UM will have a lot of success moving the ball. UM has to loosen up the defense. Denard will keep OSU on its heals by moving around and demanding attention, but Funchess is the key player for UMs offense.

Defensively, UM has been strong up the middle, especially in red zone situations. I don't expect Hyde to just line up and run it right at UM. Washington has really grown into a key figure on the DL. The real match up problem for UM imo, will be on the edge. Staying disciplined and keeping the edge, or Braxton will run wild. Can UM confuse Miller enough to force him into some bad reads, throws, etc? If UM can make OSU one dimensional, I like UM's chances.

I think this will be a close game, I like our chances, but I certainly understand this is the Super Bowl for OSU.

UM 24
OSU 23

frank-n-beans
Varsity

Post by frank-n-beans »

Great to see you back 'peake, missed your posts this season. I gotta go with UM in this one. OSU "d" this year doesn't even deserve a capital letter. I don't think the Buckeyes can stop UM on O and UM will do the same things on D that Wisky did.

GoBuckeyes2786
Varsity

Post by GoBuckeyes2786 »

Very good post Peake! I've missed your post and insight this season on here. As you mentioned, I told someone the other day not to let UM record fool ya because they lost to the top 2 teams in the country and to Nebraska with no denard and a bum back backup. Denard prob played one if not the worst game of his career against ND and was still in the game til the end. Bama is just Bama, enough said.

I feel Gardner has made UM a much better team with his ability to throw. Denard is and was only a threat but I felt like he could be rattled easily at times and make mistakes and turn the ball over.

This should be a hell of a game. This will be the best UM defense OSU has seen in a handful of years.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Michigan has been playing well, and Ohio State is 11-0.......the Wolverines have probably looked better offensively with Gardner at QB rather than Robinson, but Denard is still a dangerous option at RB.

The Buckeyes won at Wisconsin, at Penn State, at Michigan State, and demolished Nebraska, so even in a down Big Ten year, the undefeated mark is no slouch because it is simply tough to go undefeated. Michigan lost to Alabama and Notre Dame, and also Nebraska without Robinson or Gardner, at least for most of that game.

OSU's defense is better than it was just a few weeks ago, and the offense met its match last week with the Wisconsin defense. I think the Buckeyes will have to score at least 24 points to win, and I think they are capable of that. It is indeed Ohio State's bowl game, which should provide some more incentive, as if that's really needed against UM. The secondary for the Buckeyes must be on top of their game. I look for Braxton Miller to have a better game than he did vs. Wisconsin.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

With Toussaint out, it looks like UM will have no other choice but to start Gardner at QB and Robinson at RB.

UM will try to dink and dunk OSU's defense to death by sending Robinson out of the backfield on short passes in the flats. Robinson wont find the edge on the sweeps like he did against Iowa. OSU's defense is really good at stringing those plays out to the sidelines for minimal gains. Robinson wont have alot of success running up the middle out of the RB spot like he did on the delayed draw plays from QB with the defense trying to cover the pass. He is not built to run dives and counters inside the tackles where he cant use his speed.

For UM to win, Gardner needs a miracle of a performance. Good luck doing that when 100K screaming OSU fans are so loud that he wont be able to audible at the line. Lets not forget that Gardner has won at Minnesota, at home vs Northwestern (in OT) and at home against Iowa. It will be a completely different monster for him to deal with at the Shoe.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I don't argue any of those points.

I think Rawls will get the start, and Denard will move around like he did against Iowa lining up at QB, RB, and WR. This plays to UM's advantage simply because you have to pay attention to him because he can throw coming off a sweep, or he can option out of the split back formation, or he can catch a screen and take it a mile. My point remains, when Denard is in, how do you not spy him, while at the same time pay attention to Funchess? This will not be easy.

As far as Devin goes, I am not disagreeing one bit about who he has played against up to this point. The only thing I would argue, is that he has played very very well. I would also include that the wideouts now look a little better than just serviceable now that someone can get them the ball coming in and out of breaks. Notice how UM has killed all three teams with long bombs because Devin extends plays and looks to throw rather than take off. Very big difference in him and Denard.

I think crowd noise is over played to be honest. He plays in front of 113,000 every sat when at home, and has played at ND, Jerry World, etc. It will be a difficult atmosphere no doubt, but he's a junior, this is not his first rodeo.

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Hey Peake, Welcome back. I missed our debates this season.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

In short reply, Denard can't throw. He should be treated accordingly.
He's dangerous, and can score from anywhere, but he couldn't throw when healthy, he can barely use his hand.

That's not to say his ability to change the field at any point isn't respected, but he can be contained.

Plus the first time he lined up at WR, I'd take the pass interference penalty, and blow him up before the ball got there!

GoBuckeyes2786
Varsity

Post by GoBuckeyes2786 »

Gardner has made some nice big gain pass plays no doubt. I feel a few have been more of the receiver making a big play on a jump ball more so than Gardner. Roundtrees catch against northwestern in the final seconds. Jump ball, great play by roundtree to come up with it and ended up being the difference maker. I noticed a pass or 2 against Iowa he heaved it up and a guy came up with it. Not a knock at gardner and saying he's not good, but more a compliment of his receivers making plays on the ball that could be picked as easily caught.

I know as fans we are all gonna be biased towards our team. Both teams are solid teams, it's a rivalry game and anything can happen.

UM is out to spoil the perfect season for the buckeyes and the buckeyes are trying to complete the perfect season. No bowl, 12-0 on the line and its Michigan. Buckeyes should be ready.

Really looking forward to this one and excited to be there.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I will have to disagree with you on Gardner. Yes on the NW hail mary, but that's what happens on hail marys, you toss it up and see what happens. Regardless, I was at the NW game, that would have been pass interference if the catch wouldn't have been made.

Watch v Minnesota when Devin extends the play and the :50 mark. He extends the play than finds a wide open Drew Dileo on a bomb. Why? Because they played up like he was going to run.
Same clip watch at the 1:36 mark, perfect touch pass on a ling wheel route to Gallon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW8Yca9ssLU

First play of the NW clip, watch Gardner on play action find Roundtree and deliver the ball to the outside shoulder. Watch at the 2:50 mark, perfect ball on a post corner route to Roundtree. Perfect placement on a post route to Funchess at 3:04 mark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDvROdGaAFg

Devin's ability to extend plays and put the ball on the money is the biggest difference in Denard and himself.

GoBuckeyes2786
Varsity

Post by GoBuckeyes2786 »

I agree 100% and wasn't taking a knock at gardner. The kid is good and it blows my mind that UM didn't have him playing QB in September and bouncing denard all over the field like now. Gardner is a much better QB and his athleticism opens up alot of plays down field as u said from his ability to extend the play.

I was just simply stating that on a few occasions he's let it fly and had some remarkable help from his wide recievers at times. He def improves michigan as a whole by playing QB

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:Image
Is this the look of the helmet they will be wearing against UM saturday? Cool looking, love the chrome looking scarlet.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Yes, the silver on the helmet is a dull chrome as well.

Return to “College Sports”