Urban Meyers Coach of the Year

Is he?

Total votes: 0

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Re: Urban Meyers Coach of the Year

Post by abuck76 »

trojandave wrote:.....Urban Meyer, though, is in his first year on the job (along with Bill O'Brien of PSU) with virtually a whole new staff, and who took over a team with a losing record.......and now is currently undefeated.
Great point..................The COY should not simply be someone who takes his team to an undefeated season .............Urban and what he is doing is the epitome of what the COY award SHOULD be....... :12224

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i stand corrected youngstown state beat pitt to open up i think.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

trojandave wrote:Any one of the 5 or 6 mentioned on here would be worthy of COY........all have done outstanding jobs in respect to their own situations........Urban Meyer, though, is in his first year on the job (along with Bill O'Brien of PSU) with virtually a whole new staff, and who took over a team with a losing record.......and now is currently undefeated. Notre Dame, Kansas State, and Oregon all had winning teams last year and were supposed to be good again this year........there were a lot of questions, though, about the Buckeyes before the season began.

Bill O'Brien of Penn State has done a great job considering the mess that he took over........defection of players, loss of scholarships, and replacing an iconic figure certainly make him worthy of COY.
i agree dave, i got caught up in the moment myself. i plumb forgot about the coaches at alabama, notre dame, and oregon.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

I do not think that if a team is on probation that all players and coaches should not be up for any awards.

Some of the names brought up are good but what about Frank Solich at Ohio. Randy Edsell at Maryland who has lost 4 QB's this year. Now is moving a LB to QB. Who hasn't played QB since high school. Also David Cutcliff at Duke who is Bowl elegible now. Just some other names and things to think of. Not just at the big name schools.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Charlie Strong at Louisville. Even though it is the Big East he is doing a great job this year.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

And Charlie will do fine next year at Arkansas.

fightingtigers45
S

Post by fightingtigers45 »

Honestly? Who cares. I say no because they've played nobody of merit.

I'd go with Bill Snyder or Brian Kelly first. Will Muschamp (regardless of the UGA loss) deserves some votes.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

all these coaches are top contenders , at the very least. they need a top 3 maybe, lol.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

i think honestly it will go to a coach that goes undefeated.

GoBuckeyes2786
Varsity

Post by GoBuckeyes2786 »

Agreed, bait. More than likely I say a Undefeated coach will win it with who is in contention. Still 4 weeks of football (regular season) left and alot can happen in the time span. Coach of the year and heisman will be decided in November.

Kinda off topic, but read a interesting bit of info earlier. The 2002 OSU championship team was undefeated and ranked #6 in the nation and this very time exactly 10yrs ago. This years undefeated buckeyes are currently ranked #6 as well. Obviously not ranked in the BCS or bowl eligible but still pretty cool fact. Seeing how the 02 undefeated team is being honored at the Michigan game this season, but nice to cap the 10yr anniversary with another undefeated season

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Good post, farmer, about your COY candidates......they are worthy of COY consideration.......speaking of moving players around because of injury, starting FB Zack Boren of Ohio State was moved to linebacker because of injury to Etienne Sabino and overall lack of depth.......also, Jordan Hall has been injured most of the year, and he was the starting RB at the beginning of the year......and OSU won the Purdue game with backup QB Kenny Guiton.......point being that all coaches have had to deal with injuries, whether it be Edsell, Meyer, or whomever.

I have to disagree with you about coaches or players being ineligible for awards. Andre Ware of Houston won the Heisman trophy in 1989 and the Cougars I believe were on probation that year.......but Ware had a phenomenal year.

I would like to add Dan Mullen of Mississippi State as a COY candidate.......yes, they lost to Alabama big, but 7-1 in the SEC at MSU is quite an accomplishment, because Starkville is said to be a tough place to recruit players to.

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

Urban Meyer, though, is in his first year on the job (along with Bill O'Brien of PSU) with virtually a whole new staff, and who took over a team with a losing record.......and now is currently undefeated.
I'm sorry, but I'll have to take issue with this. Yes, as with any new coach there is a "learning curve", but Meyer also retained staff and the transition went smoothly. However, what I really take issue with is the guise you place over the program as if what Meyer is doing is so fantastic and/or unexpected.

They had a losing record, but you completely leave out what happened last season. Had "tattoo gate" not transpired they entered as a BCS favorite. They lost their coach, QB and others. Everyone knew they would struggle because of that. What it did do was allow Miller to get almost a full season under his belt to develop. Enter Meyer and all of the talk pre-season was how the Buckeyes has the possibility to go undefeated, and many pundits had them going undefeated at least in conference. What is happening is not unexpected, in fact it is right in line with pre-season expectations.

That is not to downplay Meyer's importance. He's just not coach of the year, in my opinion. And the main reason is that the team, while undefeated, has not A) Played an extremely tough schedule & B) Looked mediocre most of the way. Squeaking by Miami of Ohio, UCF, Cal, etc. is not the mark of a coach of the year. I 100% believe O'Brien is more worthy because of what they are going through. It is more in line with what the Buckeyes had happen last season, but Penn State is managing to remain undefeated in conference (granted, not exactly... in spite of losing players and coaches they kept their leader/QB.)

I think it is either willful ignorance, or short-sightedness to act like the Buckeyes have been "turned around" based on the record last season to this season. We know that's not the case. They were very talented but lost coaches and players right before the season with no time to really replace them.

To me Coach of the Year often goes to the wrong coach. There are plenty of guys who should be on the "honorable mention" list. There is still a lot to be done, but I think Nick Saban is being looked over in favor of coaches like O'Brien. Saban lost a LOT of talent on the defensive side of the ball, and his number one RB. Yes, he had talent behind them BUT it is EXTREMELY difficult to dominate like Alabama is continuing to do. The USC teams didn't do it, OSU didn't do it, and on down the line. In fact, no one in the BCS-era has even repeated as national champion and for Saban to be inching his way closer after sending a lot of talent to the league... very impressive. Same goes for Chip Kelly. Bill Synder should be mentioned for the award as well.

There is still a lot of football to be played, but if things continue to go how they are... Meyer should not even be in the top five. That's not to discredit what is happening in Columbus, but he just should not be.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

ACCBiggz wrote:
Urban Meyer, though, is in his first year on the job (along with Bill O'Brien of PSU) with virtually a whole new staff, and who took over a team with a losing record.......and now is currently undefeated.
I'm sorry, but I'll have to take issue with this. Yes, as with any new coach there is a "learning curve", but Meyer also retained staff and the transition went smoothly. However, what I really take issue with is the guise you place over the program as if what Meyer is doing is so fantastic and/or unexpected.

They had a losing record, but you completely leave out what happened last season. Had "tattoo gate" not transpired they entered as a BCS favorite. They lost their coach, QB and others. Everyone knew they would struggle because of that. What it did do was allow Miller to get almost a full season under his belt to develop. Enter Meyer and all of the talk pre-season was how the Buckeyes has the possibility to go undefeated, and many pundits had them going undefeated at least in conference. What is happening is not unexpected, in fact it is right in line with pre-season expectations.

That is not to downplay Meyer's importance. He's just not coach of the year, in my opinion. And the main reason is that the team, while undefeated, has not A) Played an extremely tough schedule & B) Looked mediocre most of the way. Squeaking by Miami of Ohio, UCF, Cal, etc. is not the mark of a coach of the year. I 100% believe O'Brien is more worthy because of what they are going through. It is more in line with what the Buckeyes had happen last season, but Penn State is managing to remain undefeated in conference (granted, not exactly... in spite of losing players and coaches they kept their leader/QB.)

I think it is either willful ignorance, or short-sightedness to act like the Buckeyes have been "turned around" based on the record last season to this season. We know that's not the case. They were very talented but lost coaches and players right before the season with no time to really replace them.

To me Coach of the Year often goes to the wrong coach. There are plenty of guys who should be on the "honorable mention" list. There is still a lot to be done, but I think Nick Saban is being looked over in favor of coaches like O'Brien. Saban lost a LOT of talent on the defensive side of the ball, and his number one RB. Yes, he had talent behind them BUT it is EXTREMELY difficult to dominate like Alabama is continuing to do. The USC teams didn't do it, OSU didn't do it, and on down the line. In fact, no one in the BCS-era has even repeated as national champion and for Saban to be inching his way closer after sending a lot of talent to the league... very impressive. Same goes for Chip Kelly. Bill Synder should be mentioned for the award as well.

There is still a lot of football to be played, but if things continue to go how they are... Meyer should not even be in the top five. That's not to discredit what is happening in Columbus, but he just should not be.
Penn State has played a crap schedule also. I do not think anyone from the Big 10 will win the award unless Ohio State goes undefeated, even then it is a stretch.

My favorites(in order)

1. Bill Snyder- Kansas State
2. Brian Kelly- Notre Dame
3. Chip Kelly- Oregon
4. Nick Saban- Alabama(should win this award every year for the juggernaut he has created but likely wont because this was what was expected of them.)
5. Mike Riley- Oregon State
6. Urban Meyer- Ohio State
7. Charlie Strong- Louisville
8. Bill O'Brien- Penn State

Just my opinion.

3morethan2
Varsity

Post by 3morethan2 »

Nah, he should be in the running for the coach of the year though. But Bill Snyder and Brian Kelly are more deserving, no one would think these two teams would be in the top 5 at this point in the season.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

3morethan2 wrote:Nah, he should be in the running for the coach of the year though. But Bill Snyder and Brian Kelly are more deserving, no one would think these two teams would be in the top 5 at this point in the season.
After what the Bucks went through last year and doing what they have done this years, show he has his team putting last year way behind them. Meyers needs to be in the top three.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

The way the Bucks have destroyed all those top 25 teams I'd say it absolutely positively should go to Urban Meyer !!! ( man does Buckeye nation love Koole-Aid) .. 1 win against top 25 competition ?? Whats next the " Buckeyes are the real undefeated natl champ thread " ???

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Alabama has 2 close wins against top 25, and a home loss.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

yeah weak SEC schedule .

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

No South Carolina, Georgia, or Florida. So yes.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

wow , the ultimate scarlett colored glasses .

Return to “College Sports”