Michigan Football

Peake
SEOP

Michigan Football

Post by Peake »

Some news and notes.

*Ray Vinopal, Soph, S, has left the team. This was not by choice, he is actually leaving school and going to community college near Youngstown. His mother is very ill (cancer) and he has to be close to home. I was told he will attend YSU next fall.

*Marvin Robinson is still on the team. Many sites reported he was gone, but that was way false. The second spring practice was at 5am yesterday and he was not there. Sites started reporting he was gone, NOT TRUE. He was ill and the staff told him to stay home. He was lifting that evening with the team.

1st practice.

*Will Campbell is back on the DL and will play a 3-technique DT/NG. This staff thinks he is a clone of Cody from Alabama. The old staff and their genius staff moved him over to OL and made him drop from 330 to 297. He is back at 330 and has had a great spring thus far. Expect to see a 4-man DL with huge DT's.

*Quinton Washington will stay on the DL as well. This staff thinks he is going to be an all-american before it is all said and done. He too was made to drop from the 330 range down to 300. This staff has him up to near 350 now. Expect to see a lot of Campbell and Washington at the DT's freeing up Mike Martin to move outside to DE at times.

*Craig Roh is now up to 260 from 245. He has started for two years and will finally have his hand on the ground 100% of the time.

*Brandon Hawthorne has been an animal so far this spring. He was recruited as a LB, but came in light around 6'0, 190. His freshmen year he got up to around 200 and was moved to S. Last season he played at about 203-205 and was a special teams guy who really had no position. THey tried him at hybrid LB (rover), then at S, and basically he just became a guy that would play special teams. This staff has him near 220 and want him at 225-230 by fall. They love him at SAM, he led the state of Florida in tackles while starring at Pahoke.

*Cam Gordon is rumored to be the front runner at WLB. He played rover and S last season, and was around 205, this spring he is up to 225 and they want him at 240.

*Terrance Talbott was said to have left the team after the season. He is back now. It really had little to do with football and more to do with academics. He was really struggling and was overwhelmed with the academics at Michigan. They have him back on track and he is with the team.

*On offense all eyes are on Denard of course. He will play under center 90% of the time. So far so good but it will be interesting to see how this plays out. Devin has also been very good under center and is making the transition very easily.

*Michigan will have the top TE duo in the conference next year (Kevin Koger and Brandon Moore). Hoke said these guys need to be thrown to at minimum 5 times a game. Said there is far too much talent at the position for them to be used only as H-backs like under RR.

*OL is going to be pretty solid. Taylor Lewan is up from 297 to 315, and everyone says he is a clone of Jake Long.

*Runningback is going to be fun to watch. Michigan has three RB's who are made for this offense (Toussiant, Hopkins, and Cox). Watch for Thomas Rawls to be an instant PT guy when he comes on campus in the fall.

*Transfer watch list- Richard Ash-Have never really felt he wanted to be at Michigan, jsut came because all his Pahoke buddies were already there.
Ricky Barnum-He is said to be very talented, but is on the small side at 6'2, 290 OG. He will be a RJr and if he doesn't see time now, then look for him to head back to FL and play 1-aa.
Jeremy Gallon-Another FL guy who was one of the slot dots. He was ok at slot but awful in the return game.
DJ Williamson-This rfr WR at this point is not a big ten player, wouldn't surprise me if he is gone.

footballfanatic1
All Conference

Re: Michigan Football

Post by footballfanatic1 »

sounds like they are already big ten champions...... go bucks...

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

hey you don't want useful information from someone who is informed then don't reply to the thread.

I didn't say anything about them being BT champions, I am only reporting what I have been told.

This is one of the reasons I left for a long time last year, smarta$$ posters who don't appreciate information, they would rather have 100 people just like them who follow a team blindly and say the same thing verbatim every post and call it fun.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

I think it's cool. I'm an OSU fan but not overstuffed with it. He seems to be plugged in to what is happening up there and let's face it, we need Michigan to start competing again.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

Thanks Peake for the info, good stuff.

Michigan still has miles to go to challenge for the title, and beat the Buckeyes.

But it's good to know that they are at least facing the right direction to start gaining ground.

91Buckeye
Varsity

Post by 91Buckeye »

Hate to see Vinopal go, he is one of my favorites. He seemed to have a nose for the ball and with a little experience and coaching I think he would have been a good one. :(

underthemound
Freshman Team

Post by underthemound »

Dazed&confused is right, it'd be nice to see Michigan get back on track. Makes for a better overall conference. Although I enjoy watching the bucks beat Michigan every year.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

you want your rivials as stong as you. if they're weak your weak.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

1st padded practice.

*Denard had some struggles with the snap as expected. He is under center 90% of the time now. I am going to stress this, if Denard struggles you will see Devin. Reports are he has been very good under center, and at 6'5 he has no problems seeing over the LOS. Denard is doing a lot of roll out stuff much like Drew Brees does with the Saints. When you are 5'11 sitting back in the pocket is not easy.

*Hopkins right now is running #1 at RB. Which leads me to V. SMith on the transfer watch list. No way at 5'6-180 this kids survives the transition. I will be very surprised if he stay at UM.

*Stonum looks like the Old M wideouts. Big, physical, speedy.

*Biggest surprise so far is RT. Most expected talented underclassmen Michael Schofield (6'8 300) to take over at RT, but so far RSr Mark Huyge is holding it down. I don't know if this is good or bad. I was not very impressed with Huyge last season, so I don't know if it speaks to Huyge improving or Schofield not developing. We shall see.

*The most interesting position to watch this spring will be LB. The only starter as of right now is MLB Kenny Demens. The rest are up for grabs.

*Troy Wolfolk is back at expected to stick at DB. Many expected him to move back to S but as of right now he will stick at DB. This will make things very very interesting because now you have a battle at the other corner between Avery and Floyd. Floyd was a starter last season until he hurt his knee midway through the season (he shut down Michael Floyd), and then Avery took over and did a nice job as a true freshmen. Things will get very interesting.

*The two S spots are both up for grabs. The wild card is Josh Furman. Furman is 6'3, 220 and Hoke has said he wants big, physical, fast safeties. Furman was a track champion in Maryland so he will get his shot. Marvin Robinson, Furman, and Kovacs will battle for the strong spot, while part time starter Thomas Jones, Cullen Christian and incoming freshmen Blake Countess battle for free.

Chieftain
Varsity

Post by Chieftain »

Rumors are that former Youngstown Cardinal Mooney player Ray Vinopal will end up playing at YSU this Fall. There is also a rumor, pending the completion of Spring ball, that another Mich player may follow him to YSU.

eccedomusscientiae
Freshman Team

Post by eccedomusscientiae »

Peake:
I and at least two buddies of mine will be attending the Notre Dame game this year. Can you give me a heads up on the best place to purchase tickets? What online place is best?

CLane
Riding the Bench

Post by CLane »

I personally enjoy how horrible Michigan football is at the moment. It's only a matter of time before such a storied program rebounds so I'm "riding the wave" while I can :). I think you should expect some "thread crapping" when posting such a topic on an OHIO prep sports forum...but that's just me.

The info you posted is cool though...I wish someone would post a condensed update of the Buckeye football program. I'm sure the 3 or 4 scUM fans who frequent this site are appreciative.

My three favorite college teams are Marietta, tOSU, and whoever is playing Michigan!!!

CLane
Riding the Bench

Post by CLane »

"We don't give a darn for the whole state of Michigan, cause......"?

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

They sell tickets for the ND game for public purchase on mgoblue, but they won't be for sale until June. Stubhub is your best bet imo.

CLane,

This is a college forum, not an Ohio College forum, I have been posting on here for years. Most of the flack I catch is from posters who just recently join and the most intelligent remarks they can come up with are those like we don't give a------ you get the point.

For several years I have always been met with respect from OSU posters (GAHS4ever, Dubs, etc) because as the saying goes, know your enemy know yourself. I always appreciate OSU posters posting what is going on with the OSU program.

I would say there are more Michigan posters on here then 3, again people who rarely post don't know this. I have no problems with not sharing information, I help to run a Michigan site, I just thought it would be informative for all involved. What do I know

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I have not heard another player will be transferring, that is interesting. It has to be an Ohio kid because no one in their right mind would go to Youngstown voluntarily lol. My guess is Issiah Bell .
Last edited by Peake on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

Hey, most Ohio kids wouldn't go to Youngstown voluntarily!

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

true dubs so true :lol:

ronnie88richards
JV Team

Post by ronnie88richards »

Good to see you on here again peake, we had a duke unc battle before if you remember haha, I respect you stick by your team an showing us this information yeah I'm a huge buckeye fan but I still respect you...I'm wondering something though, realisticly what do you think Michigan's record will be this year as of right now obviously it may change once you see more.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Breaking news---Vinopal to Pitt not YSU. His mom is sick, but wow that was a fishy move (former UM staff at Pitt).

Thanks Ronnie. Dunno man, last year I said 7-5 and we went 7-5, but I didn't make the prediction until the beginning of the season. I will be at the spring game, I'll let you know what I think.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

peake wrote:Breaking news---Vinopal to Pitt not YSU. His mom is sick, but wow that was a fishy move (former UM staff at Pitt).

Thanks Ronnie. Dunno man, last year I said 7-5 and we went 7-5, but I didn't make the prediction until the beginning of the season. I will be at the spring game, I'll let you know what I think.
Must have enjoyed playing for that great defensive coaching staff at Michigan last year... :lol:

Return to “College Sports”