Big Ten Officials in Bowls!

Matt52
JV Team

Re: Big Ten Officials in Bowls!

Post by Matt52 »

celebrations make the game more fun i.e.
Miami teams of the 80s&90s

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Matt52 wrote:celebrations make the game more fun i.e.
Miami teams of the 80s&90s

I never have understood the argument that celebrations make the game more fun. I had a lot of fun when I played and we didn't get into the celebrations. Didn't need to.

oak hill71
All State

Post by oak hill71 »

celebrations happen sometimes. you get that adrenaline going through you and you dont know what your doing. my 8th grade year i played defensive end and had close to 11 or 12 sacks, so those never really got me excited, but one game when i ran a fumble back 30ish yards i spiked the ball and started running back to the sidelines, didnt even realize i did it

Yossarian
Freshman Team

Post by Yossarian »

Act like you've been there before.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Yossarian wrote:Act like you've been there before.
That was my exact thought

sprinter14
Varsity

Post by sprinter14 »

Bottom line is this...........yes, it is IN the rule book. If you get technical about enforcing every violation, then that penalty should be called on about every play. Watch a defensive player make a great hit or a great tackle, and he gets up and makes SOME FORM OF A CELEBRATORY GESTURE. Even coaches run 10 yards onto the field to "chest bump" after a 3rd down stop. Why are these "attention draws" not flagged???????????????

In this particular case, the Big Ten official chose a HORRIBLE time to decide to enforce a penalty that is 100% a judgement call on his part. Had that been a 2nd quarter call or a call with a game at 35-7, different story.

But this guy CHANGED the game with that one call.

I know this, I lost a little faith in college football on that play...........and I don't even like Kansas State.

Ironton fans SHOULD be somehwhat sympathetic. Reminds me of the flag on Ironton after Kratz's big hit on 3rd down that WOULD have forced a Hartley punt. That call sure changed a game too.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Exactly, act like you've either been there before or act like you meant or expected to do it. You run a deep pass route, score a TD, next step is act like that was your initial goal not like it is a shock to have done it. Kinda like making a long putt in golf, if that is the goal then don't get overexcited about it.

One huge gripe I have, especially with teams from the south (SEC) and the Trojans of old is after making a tackle they act as if the ball carrier is a stepping stone on the way to a pot of gold rather than making a tackle and rolling off the pile or the ball carrier they run on top of them and sometimes stand over them like some WWE rastler. I know sometimes guys get tangled up but to make an open field tackle then run up and over a downed ball carrier while getting up is not football. No respect for the game at all. It was funny watching Mallett last night get mad because he got tackled and Heyward rolled off of him but when Boom got tackled they stepped all over him and stood with their manhood hanging over him like idiots.

The salute thing was a little overboard but if all officials called the game consistantly it would be more fun to watch and also teach younger players the right way to act while playing. Mark Ingram made an A after every TD this year, it's a penalty.

The big ten is held at higher standards morally than other conferences both in recruiting and by the game officials. It is actually more fun to watch because the players act like human beings rather than a bunch of wild animals. If that is your cup then watch a movie or WWE or something. A coach once told me that if a guy is on the ground, especially hurting a little, help him up and don't let him lay there and rest his bones. Let him know to get ready for it again!

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

tigercannon71 wrote:Just cause some offcials call it and some dont doesnt mean its not illegal.

The following comes straight from the NCAA rulebook.

Statement on Sportsmanship

After reviewing a number of plays involving unsportsmanlike
conduct, the committee is firm in its support of the unsportsmanlike
conduct rules as they currently are written and officiated. Many of
these fouls deal with players who inappropriately draw attention
to themselves in a premeditated, excessive or prolonged manner.
Players should be taught the discipline that reinforces football as a team game.

SECTION 2. Unsportsmanlike Conduct Fouls
Unsportsmanlike Acts
ARTICLE 1. There shall be no unsportsmanlike conduct or any act
that interferes with orderly game administration on the part of players,
substitutes, coaches, authorized attendants or any other persons subject to
the rules, before the game, during the game or between periods.
a. Specifically prohibited acts and conduct include:
1. No player, substitute, coach or other person subject to the rules shall
use abusive, threatening or obscene language or gestures, or engage
in such acts that provoke ill will or are demeaning to an opponent, to
game officials or to the image of the game, including but not limited
to:
(a) Pointing the finger(s), hand(s), arm(s) or ball at an opponent, or
imitating the slashing of the throat.
(b) Taunting, baiting or ridiculing an opponent verbally.
(c) Inciting an opponent or spectators in any other way, such as
simulating the firing of a weapon or placing a hand by the ear to
request recognition.
(d) Any delayed, excessive, prolonged or choreographed act by
which a player (or players) attempts to focus attention upon
himself (or themselves).

I think saluting falls under c. So its not the officials that are wrong its the players. The officials that dont call it are doing it wrong.

Sure it's a rules violation, but the problem is they aren't consistent with it. In the OSU/UM game they penalized the Bucks for making the Block O with their hands after a score and then later that night I watched Oregon players do the same exact thing with their hands and no flags were thrown. Why is that?

If they are going to call it then they need to call it consistently in every game, not just pick and choose when they want to call it.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

I have never understood the argument about officials deciding a game with a call at the end of or late in the game. If it is an infraction in the second quarter shouldn't it also be an infraction at the end of the game? Officials swallowing their whistles at the end of a game is pure bull $hit.

As for the inconsistency of the officials making this call... who is wrong here? this official who made the call or the other officials who turn their heads and allow these type celebrations to continue. IMO this guy should be commended for making the right call.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

someday it will be a point of emphasis until then you just have to roll with the punches. heck last night in the arkansas game clearly 3 defensive players were still on the field when pryor snapped the ball and they had to run by the line judge and line judge to leave the field with a no call and osu barley made the first down when clearly they should have gotten 5 yards. officiating is difficult cant make all the calls all the time.

sprinter14
Varsity

Post by sprinter14 »

raiderball, I would be all for that guy making "the right call" IF he had done it the whole game long..........or the whole season long. Why wait until the final minute of the 4th quarter to literally influence the outcome of the game????

Maybe, just maybe, a few years down the road, we will find out that official has a gambling problem and he had bet against Kansas State! LOL Its happened before!!

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

sprinter14 wrote:raiderball, I would be all for that guy making "the right call" IF he had done it the whole game long..........or the whole season long. Why wait until the final minute of the 4th quarter to literally influence the outcome of the game????

Maybe, just maybe, a few years down the road, we will find out that official has a gambling problem and he had bet against Kansas State! LOL Its happened before!!
Were there other "celebrations" during this game that weren't called? During the season that this guy didn't call?
LOL... you could be on to something with the KSU bet.

sprinter14
Varsity

Post by sprinter14 »

Using the above posted rules, I saw 16 (yes sixteen) plays in tonight's Miami/Middle TN game that should have been flagged for excessive celebrations. I actually lost count and there may have been more. Only one was on a touchdown celebration. Like I said, I'm all for it if it is enforced uniformly. But tonight, nothing, as usual. Glad the Big Ten crew wasn't officiating it!

Return to “College Sports”