BIG TEN BOWL SEASON

How will the Big ten perform in this year's bowl games?

Total votes: 0

frank-n-beans
Varsity

Re: BIG TEN BOWL SEASON

Post by frank-n-beans »

Big Ten drowning in a bloodbath on 1-1-11 with Wisky yet to play. The state of Michigan loses 101-21 combined. Should be R-Rod's last game from up north.

oak hill71
All State

Post by oak hill71 »

Kinda hard to schedule southern teams when none of them will leave the confines of their home state to play an out of conference game, Tennessee and Georgia are the exceptions.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

UT and UGA coming to OSU.
Auburn and Miss St have both been to WVU. LSU comes next season.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

So where does this put the Big Ten on the food chain? Which Big Ten schools are sending players to the League?

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Wisconisn goes down 21-19 to TCU. Looks like the Big 10 got their butts handed to them today. I'm a huge Big Ten fan, with the exception of Michigan who I love to see get thumped no matter who they are playing, but I have to say the Big 10 didn't look very strong today.

I have a feeling all of the distractions, and the fact that Tressell may not play the ones that were suspended or at least they will see limited playing time, that tOSU just may get their butts handed to them on Tuesday as well. I hope I'm wrong.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

oak hill71 wrote:Kinda hard to schedule southern teams when none of them will leave the confines of their home state to play an out of conference game, Tennessee and Georgia are the exceptions.

It would be wise to check past regular season schedules before making untrue statements. Bama is currently in a home and home with Penn St. They have also played Southern Cal. Notre Dame, Oklahoma, UCLA, Nebraska, Missouri and Washington over the course of years.

It is very difficult to rate the strength of any conference on the basis of bowl games. Although the Big 10 is 0-4 for the day, I do not for a second, as an SEC fan, think the Big 10 is weak. I also do not think the SEC is necessarily better than the other conferences based on todays games. Bowl games are a 1 game season based on a body of work over the course of the year and IMO, both the SEC and Big 10 are the two top conferences.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

The question comes down to who is sending players to the league year in and year out?

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

After Wisconsin's loss tonight, now OSU gets the chance to go out and show the country what having to go into Madison to play a game at night, with the fans throwing batteries and marshmellows laced with quarters, as well as the noise, has, from an impact standpoint, on the outcome of a game.

TCU goes into Madison, UGLY. TCU plays the Badgers at a neutral field, and look what happens. Would prefer that OSU sit the five horsebutts, but you know that Tressel will play them, so let's hope OSU goes out there and shows the Country what Big Ten football is all about!

ccrunner
Riding the Bench

Post by ccrunner »

Oh well, at least the Big 10 is getting ALOT of money to be everybodys punching bag during the bowl season. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Steely Dan wrote:After Wisconsin's loss tonight, now OSU gets the chance to go out and show the country what having to go into Madison to play a game at night, with the fans throwing batteries and marshmellows laced with quarters, as well as the noise, has, from an impact standpoint, on the outcome of a game.

TCU goes into Madison, UGLY. TCU plays the Badgers at a neutral field, and look what happens. Would prefer that OSU sit the five horsebutts, but you know that Tressel will play them, so let's hope OSU goes out there and shows the Country what Big Ten football is all about!
Pure speculation on your part. Could happen but we don't know.

According to dispatch article they will play.

gymrat88
JV Team

Post by gymrat88 »

I agree with Steely Dan. When you look at Boise State and TCU, did either team play a good team in a true road game? The only one I can think of is the Boise State/Nevada game in which Boise lost. Even though they played Virginia Tech in DC, it is much easier to do that than go to Blacksburg.

Also, I would like to see an SEC team play a game in November against a Big 10 school on the road and see how they would fair.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

As good as JJ Watt wad all year long, he really made himself look like an idiot, constantly committing to the RB on the read hand off plays instead of keeping outside containment.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

The Big Ten looked bad yesterday! The Rose Bowl was fun to watch though.

Charge
Varsity

Post by Charge »

Northwestern played well for not having their starting qb. PennState played a solid game, I thought they were going to drive down and win it, but the qb threw his 5th interception. Wisconsin had their chances to beat the number 3 team in the country. Now the two Michigan schools were a different story, they didn't even show up.

eaglesorfalcons
Freshman Team

Post by eaglesorfalcons »

What a great bowl season by the big ten. only one more game to make it a perfect bowl season.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

eaglesorfalcons wrote:What a great bowl season by the big ten. only one more game to make it a perfect bowl season.
What are you talking about.....only one more game to make it a perfect season?!

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

Ohio State – 11-1 Overall / 7-1 Big 10 vs. Arkansas 10-2 Overall / 6-2 SEC West
OSU ranked #6, claimed a share of the Big 10 title this year sharing it three ways with Wisconsin (who beat the Buckeyes at Madison) and the Michigan State Spartans, who were absolutely destroyed by Alabama in their bowl game. Arkansas ranked #8, finished 2nd in their division with losses to Auburn and Alabama and looks to keep the Buckeyes win less against the SEC. Ohio State is currently 0-9 against the SEC and looks to quiet the haters.
On paper this should be a good match-up, but with OSU’s controversy and past performance against the SEC, I am not as confident as I once was.

Mich. State – 11-1 Overall / 7-1 Big 10 vs. Alabama 10-2 Overall / 5-3 SEC West
Michigan St. ranked #7, shared a piece of the Big 10 title this year with a very favorable schedule. Alabama ranked #15, finished 4th in their division and 5th in the SEC. The Tide destroyed the co-champions of the Big 10 and displayed the wide variance of talent level between the two conferences. In my opinion, this was probably the biggest embarrassment for the Big 10. (OSU still has to face Arkansas, but I am doubtful the Buckeyes will or can perform any worse……and no, I haven’t forgotten the Florida game either.)

Wisconsin – 11-1 Overall / 7-1 Big 10 vs. TCU 12-0 / 8-0 Mountain West
Wisconsin ranked #4, shared the Big 10 title and TCU ranked #3, won the Mountain West. This was a very good match up and an exciting game to watch. TCU came away with the victory and made a statement for the nation to witness. TCU became the first non-AQ school to win the Rose Bowl. I guess they will no longer be associated with the “sisters of the poor”!

Iowa – 8-4 Overall / 4-4 Big 10 vs. Missouri – 10-2 Overall / 6-2 Big 12
Iowa finished 4th in the Big 10. Missouri ranked #14, finished 2nd in their division and 4th in the Big 12. Iowa underachieved all year, but came up big in the victory and was one of the bright spots for the Big 10 thus far.

Illinois – 6-6 Overall / 4-4 Big 10 vs. Baylor – 6-6 Overall / 4-4 Big 12
Illinois was 6th in the Big 10 and Baylor finished 4th in the Big 12 South and 6th in the conference. A good match-up between average teams and a much needed victory for the Big 10.

Penn State – 7-5 Overall / 4-4 Big 10 vs. Florida – 7-5 Overall / 4-4 SEC East
The Gators were runner-up in their division and 5th in the SEC. The Lions were 5th on the Big 10. In my opinion this was a good match-up and the 5 turnovers killed Penn State in this one.

Michigan – 7-5 Overall / 3-5 Big 10 vs. Miss. State – 8-4 Overall / 4-4 SEC West
Michigan finished 7th in the Big 10. Miss. State ranked #21, finished 4th in their division and 7th in the SEC. On paper this should have been a good match-up, but remembering that this Miss. State team was the same team that lost to Arkansas and Auburn by a combined total of 10 points and Michigan has absolutely horrible defense and is coached by Rich Rodriguez…….the results are no surprise to very many. I did think that the Wolverine offense would have put up more points though.
If the Rich Rodriguez era does end in Ann Arbor, it sure ended on a negative note and I don’t see how they can keep him around after this game.

Northwestern – 7-5 Overall / 3-5 Big10 vs. Texas Tech 7-5 Overall / 3-5 Big 12
Northwestern finished 8th in the Big 10 and lost their starting QB to injury. Texas Tech finished 5th in their division and 7th in their conference. This was a good game, but in my honest opinion, Northwest could have won this game if they had their starting QB, but still made it a reputable game.
Northwestern continues their wait for another bowl victory -- they haven't won one since 1949.

frank-n-beans
Varsity

Post by frank-n-beans »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:It appears that some people on hear spenc more time watching Mark May and company than watching the actual product the Big 10 has put on the field this year!
Actually dubs, A lot of us actually watch the Big 10 product on the field along with May and company without blinders on then offer opinions based on what we see as a whole in CFB, not unwavering Conference loyalty. I know you have been beaten like a government mule the last 36 hours and I have no desire to add my licks to your misery. You're embarrassed by what the Losers and Laughingstocks divisions has done to your predictions but myself, having several more ice-cream seasons than you and knowing at an early age that Big 10 FB is, at best, mediocre throughout the history of the game, knew this was going to happen. I was off by 1 game, Zook's boys took me by surprise. OSU has no chance against the pigs, the added pressure to save the conference further seals their fate. The sooner you accept this, the easier your sleeping habits will be. But, once again, I could be wrong :122248 :122248 :122248 :122248 :122248

eaglesorfalcons
Freshman Team

Post by eaglesorfalcons »

Hoggy wrote:
eaglesorfalcons wrote:What a great bowl season by the big ten. only one more game to make it a perfect bowl season.
What are you talking about.....only one more game to make it a perfect season?!
it would be perfect in my eyes if ohio state were to finish with an L.

Mercerville Monster
All Conference

Post by Mercerville Monster »

Actually dubs, A lot of us actually watch the Big 10 product on the field along with May and company without blinders on then offer opinions based on what we see as a whole in CFB, not unwavering Conference loyalty. I know you have been beaten like a government mule the last 36 hours and I have no desire to add my licks to your misery. You're embarrassed by what the Losers and Laughingstocks divisions has done to your predictions but myself, having several more ice-cream seasons than you and knowing at an early age that Big 10 FB is, at best, mediocre throughout the history of the game, knew this was going to happen. I was off by 1 game, Zook's boys took me by surprise. OSU has no chance against the pigs, the added pressure to save the conference further seals their fate. The sooner you accept this, the easier your sleeping habits will be. But, once again, I could be wrong :122248 :122248 :122248 :122248 :122248

Very true post. The Big 10 is just a middle of the pack conference (esp. since Michigan has fell off the face of the Earth) and instead of arguing and trying to make a case for themselves these schools need to do something about it and scheduling would be a good start.

Take OSU for example. They scheduled Miami and act like it was a big deal. And go ahead and say they didnt know Miami was going to be so bad because of advanced scheduling but Miami hasn't been Miami since OSU beat them in the title game and everyone knows that and that was your highlight non-conference win? Really?!?!

Mostly all that is posted on here are excuses for the "product" that is the Big 10 and some pretty ridiculous ones at that. Saying teams from the South will not come North to play OSU or any other Big 10 team is completely ignorant. I'm sure many "southern" teams would take the Buckeyes money and some BCS points and leave Columbus with a grin but instead they choose to get some easy wins out of dolts like the Penquins of Youngstown State or the Mighty Eagles of Eastern Michigan who won their first game in three seasons this year. Better watch out Bucks, don't schedule someone who can keep it competitive after the first quarter.

And don't be too harsh on Michigan State for the beating they took from the Tide. Alabama would dominate the Buckeyes and the rest of the Big 10 like that. Would the score be as bad? No, but Alabama would control the game for all 4 quarters with no doubt who the better team was.

And what was Wisconsin out of the Big 10? Big 10 fans made them out to be such a power that couldn't be stopped and they got stopped for sure in Pasadena. Once again, Big 10 football works in the Big 10 and nowhere else and Wisconsin proved my point Saturday.

Return to “College Sports”