Sugar Bowl: OSU vs Arkansas

Who wins?

Total votes: 0

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Re: Sugar Bowl: OSU vs Arkansas

Post by ManitouDan »

look up tool in the dictionary and Tressel's picture has magically appeared. TP goes pro and Tes looks like a fool. gonna happen soon.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

OSU has still won the game. They won it with the rules the NCAA has and the decision the NCAA made. Maybe OSU should have said that Arkansas should get the ball on the first OSU TD because they had more people around the ball but OSU recovered it. Or that since the Arkansas player fell on the ball after the blocked punt and would not have been tackled before crossing the goal line that Arkansas should be given a TD.

Oh by the way MD you may say that about Tres but you support UK Coach Calipari.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

They didn't steal anything!

And for anyone who thinks that a player can escape punishment by going pro, is absent of the ability to recognize the genius of what Tress did.

If a player comes back, they show they have matured, show they have integrity, show they are worth a second chance, and will be accepted back into Buckeye Nation.

If a player leaves and breaks his vow, he will be forever black balled by all things OSU. He may be drafted, but will go much later than he would if he came back, costing him millions in career earnings, his career will be substainially shortened because teams won't gave the obligation to keep him because of high draft and monitary investment, and when he is done with his shortened pro life he will have nothing to fall back on and no one to lean on from the university support system.

If a player comes back, regardless of their pro future, they will never have to worry about finding work or support, because he was a buckeye that kept his word and faced his punishment.

If a player leaves, he may have short term personal boost, but after he washes that down the drain and ends up broke, and nothing he would have done shows that he would do otherwise, his life will be forever darkened and ruined not for his actions 2 years ago, but for the decisions he makes in the next 2 months,

Tress is from Youngstown, and in Y-Town, the mafia mentality is still in effect. The one lesson a guy who leaves will learn the hard way, "Never go against The Family"!

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Blame the NCAA for the way this went down. There is not a single coach in D1 that would have set these 5 out unless the NCAA told them too.

Hopefully, the 5 players will come back next year and honor their word but I doubt all 5 will and that is on their shoulders, not JT or OSU and I say this as a WVU fan.

Also, Heyward is the game MVP in my opinion, not Pryor.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

No, FANOSPORTS is not a hater of Buckeye Nation. I am a hater of all this money, greed, lying etc. that has been covered up at OSU for too long. You always hear about the Miami's, USC's and Oklahoma's of the world being bad, bad, bad. To sit here and think OSU doesn't have just as many problem's is ludicrous and naive. OSU over the years has just had more avenues and ways to hide a lot of things, some of which are now being brought to light and no one likes it. I've been an OSU fan since I was a child starting in the late 60's and watched Kern, Otis, Tatum & company on the football field and the Bill Hosket, Luke Witte, Alan Hornyak led teams on the basketball court. Woody and Fred Taylor and the like back then could hide a lot of things better because of less media exposure, tv, internet etc. but in today's society when big stories come out, they should be handled and taken care of quickly with ethical and moral considerations taken more into consideration than promises from kid's, podium arrangements of I'm sorry or we are one big family and leave it at that. What a joke.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Back in 03, Tress took the high ground and cut team ties with MoC.

MoC lost the guidance and structure that the team offered him, and ended up in jail for 3 years.

Tress is a father figure, and sees himself as a sculptor of young men that happens to coach football. In his heart, he hates how the Clarret thing went down, and partly blames the way he handled it for Clarett's later issues.

He handled things differently this time, and wouldn't cast his "children" out to the wilderness. He turned it around and put it in their hands. He gave them the chance to go from outcasts to prodigal sons.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

I could easily see 4th round, and if he comes back, no better than 3rd.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

^^^^^ This is all good and I agree with Dubs on these last two posts but let's stay tuned to see how many come back for a shortened season next year. As I stated above in other posts, Pryor - Adams and Herron are gone IMO but we'll see.

ronnie88richards
JV Team

Post by ronnie88richards »

Here's my thoughts, 1st thought it was really wrong what the 5 players did not only was it wrong but it showed alot of immaturity, none of these players would be drafted in the first 3 rounds I believe, so they may come back. I dont say its right that they were allowed to play but the NCAA made the decision that they were allowed. Last but not least we won so say what all you haters want to say in the end no matter how it happened we got the W, so the best thing to do is get over it.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

tick....tick....tick.... Akron is on the clock!

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

ronnie88richards wrote:Here's my thoughts, 1st thought it was really wrong what the 5 players did not only was it wrong but it showed alot of immaturity, none of these players would be drafted in the first 3 rounds I believe, so they may come back. I dont say its right that they were allowed to play but the NCAA made the decision that they were allowed. Last but not least we won so say what all you haters want to say in the end no matter how it happened we got the W, so the best thing to do is get over it.
OSU got the win and I like that too. It's about time and I hope they go undefeated next year and get to play in the title game. I'm not one of these guys that has to beat Michigan every year for it to be a good season but if Tressel is who he says he is and what he preaches is what he expects then don't let the player's dictate to you, you dictate to them and if they fall off the horse, so be it. Everyone says they're yound kids and need to learn but let's compare it to the military for instance. If you join the military at 17 to go fight for the USA and get in trouble and are court martialed this affects you and your job oppurtunities for the rest of your life even though you may have made a mistake at 17 or 18 years old. If you're talented enough sports will give you more than what you need so grow up and take advantage of it.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

Tes is paid the big bucks to make big decisions. The way he did things totally passes the buck. He rolled the dice that 'things will work out and MAYBE some penality for what these jackass's did will fall upon them" INSTEAD of manning up and assuring they get penalized. Justice delayed ???? I know none of you guys care but I'll hear his righteous talk in a whole different way forever.

CLane
Riding the Bench

Post by CLane »

Great win against a VERY GOOD team! Go Bucks!

2nd half play calling was typical (not saying good or bad) and would have lead to a much easier victory if executed.

TP, hands down, deserved player of the game. Don't get me wrong, he is a HUGE TURD, but whatever.

Jim Tressel handled the entire "suspension situation" flawlessly. He let the NCAA deal with it, asked his team what they want, and made the "5" "promise" to return for next season to "take their medicine". What more would you want/expect, seriously? His job is to WIN GAMES...everything else (even though still important) comes after that.

I will be surprised if any of the "5" enter the NFL draft. If they do the right thing, they have a chance to earn back the respect of the Buckeye Faithful (...a better term than the weird "Buckeye Nation", haha). If they go back on their word, they won't even be given a chance.

I bleed GA and MC blue and white, but the scarlet and grey is my passion. Ohio State Football is bigger than Archie Griffin, Eddie George, Jim Tressel, or even Woody Hayes. I think the "5" have realized this and been given a "wake-up call." Now, only time will tell if it sinks in and they mature a little bit.

On the topic of money/greed. This can be summed up by the classic phrase, "It is what it is." This should have been "nipped in the bud" by the NCAA governing body back in the '70s and '80s. There should have been advertising/endorsement/contract restrictions put in place. The end result is better trained/equipped athletes, a wider audience/fan base, better facilities/opportunities for other sports (and academics), and A WHOLE BUNCH OF HEADACHES.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Also, the facts that we have are that the Sugar Bowl reps contacted the NCAA regarding the terms of the suspension for the "five" before inviting the Bucks to New Orleans. I would imagine that they also contacted tOSU and possibly even JT himself to discuss the issue and ultimately any future Sugar Bowl considerations could have been put into jeopardy causing longterm harm to the university. JT is certainly above hurting tOSU in the future in any way. Although waht they sold is hurtful to Buckeye fans, it was theirs and they earned those items. Not even comparable to paying a player for signing or playing. If this wasn't JT we were debating, it wouldn't even be an issue because we all agree that no other coach would have even considered sitting the "five". That in itself speaks volumes for the perception of JT nationally in that he is recognized as having higher moral standards than any other coach in the country. In the end this is really a huge compliment to him and what he stands for.

Go Bucks!

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Comments made today in The Plain Dealer give me hope that Peyor is coming back.
Let's face it, even if the 5 games sticks, he will still be the top option at QB, and will instantly have his job back. Miller could be better than Pryor in the end, but he will not be at the beginning.

Posey is the best WR returning, and will be given his spot once he comes back.

Solomon Thomas will have to compete for a starting nod, but even if he remains 2nd string, it adds great depth for the conference run.

Mike Adams will be the top returning lineman, but could be a 2nd round pick this year. He doesn't need the money, we'll really see where his moral compass points.

The only one that stands to lose big by coming back is Boom Herron. He has a ton of talent behind him itching to take his spot. Frankly, once Rod Smith is on the field, Tress isn't taking him out! He didn't have high number of carries until mid season, and still rushed for over 1,100 yards, and is a td machine. He stands to lose the most by coming back and sitting 5 games!

Charge
Varsity

Post by Charge »

JChipwood wrote:If this wasn't JT we were debating, it wouldn't even be an issue because we all agree that no other coach would have even considered sitting the "five".

Lou Holtz didn't consider, he did it at Arkansas and still won the game. You are right if it weren't JT I wouldn't think anything about it but when you preach one thing and do another. Tressel is like everyone else it is easy to say you believe in something but doing it is another story. I guess most of us older Buckeye fans are more upset about Tressel because we watched a Woody Hayes, who let no man work him like a puppet.

CLane
Riding the Bench

Post by CLane »

Charge wrote:
Lou Holtz didn't consider, he did it at Arkansas and still won the game. You are right if it weren't JT I wouldn't think anything about it but when you preach one thing and do another. Tressel is like everyone else it is easy to say you believe in something but doing it is another story. I guess most of us older Buckeye fans are more upset about Tressel because we watched a Woody Hayes, who let no man work him like a puppet.
Please elaborate...I'm not following...or disagreeing (yet):

1. Lou Holtz situation
2. JT not practicing what he preaches
3. WH/JT Puppet Comparison

just curious......

bucksfan76
JV Team

Post by bucksfan76 »

I am looking for the Sugar Bowl hats that the players had. Football fanatics had it after the game but now they dont. Guess I should have ordered it that night instead of the morning.

Anyone know of any other sites with the hat?

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Team shop and buckeye corner should have them soon!

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

I love Woody, but if he coached in today's media era, he would have been gone and OSU would have been SMU!

Return to “College Sports”