Cam Newton

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Cam Newton

Post by Bleeding Red »

Did he take money? Did he cheat at Florida?

Does this spoil his Heisman hopes?

alabama mike
SE

Re: Cam Newton

Post by alabama mike »

Let me preface this first by saying, I am not an Auburn fan, my blood bleeds Bama Crimson.

To answer your questions:
No. He didnt but someone probably did.

It shouldnt.

The General
All State

Post by The General »

Does it really matter?...Up to this point he is the most outstanding player in College Football...Now the truth of the matter is....Auburn has Georgia,Alabama,the SEC Championship game left to play...not easy...he may not get the job done in this juggernaut...And someone may emerge as a no-brainer...Kellen Moore..Andrew Luck...etc..But the kid is an outstanding talent with a great chance to play at the next level...If he does,I am sure he will have enough money to cough up 200,000 big ones to fix a lot of churches..And I am more sure that he will not have to get somebody to take an English Comp. test for him or write a paper for him. And then villainize him. Like now. All while the NCAA Cash Cow is making loads of money off of him now because of his play,name and brand :lol: ...Reggie Bush gave back his big trophy...But do you think that any fair-minded individual and fan forgets how outstanding he was at SC and was the best player in the country his senior year...I dont think so...And if any holier-than-thou OSU fan wants to get in a critical mode...Ask yourself this...Do you think that Troy Smith took money?....Do you think that Troy studied for his World Civ. final or his General studies final..or whatever the hell he took...Dont think so :) ..and why should he?...he is prepping for a payday doing what he does well,all while the Universities are making a killing off their talents....AND Troy Smith won and kept the Heisman..And OSU FANS..Please dont try to spin this where Troy took one 500 hundred dollar shake and they reported it.. :lol: ...or all the other inproprieties that goes on there and every where else.Troy is at present a starting QB in the show and making a darn good living doing it. I do not believe his academic experience,nor Cam's at Auburn,has one thing to do with it. You know it. And I know it.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Did it happen at Florida? Well there was a lot going on at that time with a lot of players. Just strange things are coming out now. Just adding on to problems. To say 100% yes or no people do not have enough to judge so that brings doubt.

It will not matter to some people and wil matter to others who vote. If he would win then some of the questions he will be asked would be on the problems. Some voters just do not want to have to deal with that. The NCAA moves so slow to investigate anything except something that will take money away from them.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Check ESPN.

Supposedly phone conversations of he and his dad talking about taking money.

Yes, it should matter and it will.

The Heisman was just taken from Reggie Bush. Do you think the Heisman Trust wants to go through that process again?

This is amateur athletics. If is family received huge sums of cash for his services, he should be ineligible to play college football for the required period of time depending on the gravity of the circumstances.

Cris Carter missed a year (the end of his OSU career) for signing with an agent. Everyone knows the rules.

As a side note, Auburn should only be in trouble if the people around the program are culpable in some manner.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

The General wrote:Does it really matter?...Up to this point he is the most outstanding player in College Football...Now the truth of the matter is....Auburn has Georgia,Alabama,the SEC Championship game left to play...not easy...he may not get the job done in this juggernaut...And someone may emerge as a no-brainer...Kellen Moore..Andrew Luck...etc..But the kid is an outstanding talent with a great chance to play at the next level...If he does,I am sure he will have enough money to cough up 200,000 big ones to fix a lot of churches..And I am more sure that he will not have to get somebody to take an English Comp. test for him or write a paper for him. And then villainize him. Like now. All while the NCAA Cash Cow is making loads of money off of him now because of his play,name and brand :lol: ...Reggie Bush gave back his big trophy...But do you think that any fair-minded individual and fan forgets how outstanding he was at SC and was the best player in the country his senior year...I dont think so...And if any holier-than-thou OSU fan wants to get in a critical mode...Ask yourself this...Do you think that Troy Smith took money?....Do you think that Troy studied for his World Civ. final or his General studies final..or whatever the hell he took...Dont think so :) ..and why should he?...he is prepping for a payday doing what he does well,all while the Universities are making a killing off their talents....AND Troy Smith won and kept the Heisman..And OSU FANS..Please dont try to spin this where Troy took one 500 hundred dollar shake and they reported it.. :lol: ...or all the other inproprieties that goes on there and every where else.Troy is at present a starting QB in the show and making a darn good living doing it. I do not believe his academic experience,nor Cam's at Auburn,has one thing to do with it. You know it. And I know it.

It absolutely does matter. If these things are true, he is a CHEATER. Fits right in with the SEC since he supposedly cheated on those tests at Florida. Good ole SEC! Caught with their hand in the Cookie Jar!

The academic experience has nothing to do with it? Its called COLLEGE, and if you went to one, you would understand that it is all about academics.

I think the Heisman voters, especially the former players that did it the RIGHT WAY, will not vote for him. The Heisman committee does not want another negative campaign on the national stage. Better safe than sorry.

Is he an amazing athlete? Yes. I think he is WAY better than Pryor. But you and the other Big Ten haters would be beating this in the ground if it was Pryor and not Cam!

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

The General wrote:Does it really matter?...Up to this point he is the most outstanding player in College Football...Now the truth of the matter is....Auburn has Georgia,Alabama,the SEC Championship game left to play...not easy...he may not get the job done in this juggernaut...And someone may emerge as a no-brainer...Kellen Moore..Andrew Luck...etc..But the kid is an outstanding talent with a great chance to play at the next level...If he does,I am sure he will have enough money to cough up 200,000 big ones to fix a lot of churches..And I am more sure that he will not have to get somebody to take an English Comp. test for him or write a paper for him. And then villainize him. Like now. All while the NCAA Cash Cow is making loads of money off of him now because of his play,name and brand :lol: ...Reggie Bush gave back his big trophy...But do you think that any fair-minded individual and fan forgets how outstanding he was at SC and was the best player in the country his senior year...I dont think so...And if any holier-than-thou OSU fan wants to get in a critical mode...Ask yourself this...Do you think that Troy Smith took money?....Do you think that Troy studied for his World Civ. final or his General studies final..or whatever the hell he took...Dont think so :) ..and why should he?...he is prepping for a payday doing what he does well,all while the Universities are making a killing off their talents....AND Troy Smith won and kept the Heisman..And OSU FANS..Please dont try to spin this where Troy took one 500 hundred dollar shake and they reported it.. :lol: ...or all the other inproprieties that goes on there and every where else.Troy is at present a starting QB in the show and making a darn good living doing it. I do not believe his academic experience,nor Cam's at Auburn,has one thing to do with it. You know it. And I know it.
I do believe Troy Smith likely took more than one handshake. However, when he was caught, he was immediately suspended and the information was disclosed. OSU also cooperated fully with NCAA investigators and were praised by the NCAA president afterward.

At OSU, apparently they do have to study.

OSU has been owning the Academic All-Big Ten honorees since JT has arrived, and many of the members have been starters and majoring in areas such as Business, Finance, Pre-Law, etc.. Obviously, one could claim that the work is done for them. Yet, OSU sat out Duron Carter and Ray Small for the Rose Bowl because of grades.

Recently, Duron Carter (WR starter and a thin position at OSU right now) and Keith Wells (3rd overall DE and DL depth is low this year) were removed from the team due to academics. In 2005, two young DTs were removed because of poor grades. They were both space-eaters with big potential and would have been around in 2006 and 2007, obviously having more impact on the 2007 results.

Then again, maybe JT is an incredible genius who allows just enough of his key players to fail out as to keep the heat off of the program. :?

It's called selective recruiting that isn't simply based on football talent.

You first find talent.

You then evaluate grades and character.

You balance the factors, and leave room for one or two exceptions each class.

You hope to surround the few exceptions with really good people making up the rest of the team.

This process of JT's actually irks many of the cut-throat fans.

Sure there will be more arrests while JT is coach, but anyone noticed the change in frequency since 2005. --- When the roster became entirely JT's?

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

"the "other shoe" just dropped.....

but wait----there's more......."

Charge
Varsity

Post by Charge »

The general is a joke, saying it doesn't matter because it is the SEC. Maybe he needs to take the blinders off. It wasn't too many years ago Auburn was on probation, so it wouldn't surprise me if it were true. I also think it is a joke that a QB can get kicked off the team in Oregon and go to Mississippi and start the next season without sitting out a year. This says a lot about their coach and program.

el savior
Freshman Team

Post by el savior »

:lol: I hope you're joking.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Per Twitter, ESPN Dallas' Ian Fitzimmons is reporting that within 3-4 hours the NCAA is going to suspend Cam Newton.

Also, Vegas has taken the UGA/Auburn game off the board.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Hold the phone. From the Twitter account of Atlanta Journal-Constitution writer Tony Barnhart:

"Just talked to Ian Fitzsimmons. The reports that he said the NCAA was about to do something in the Newton case are TOTALLY inaccurate.Ian said that a case like this can change in 3-4 hours. The person writing made an assumption. Unfortunately, a sign of the times."

Still, the Vegas thing is interesting. What a train wreck this whole thing has become.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

When a writer who is paid to report for a major company, puts something in his blog or on his twitter, that he won't put on the official site that pays him, I always wonder if they have done proper confirmation first.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

whatever happened at florida should be done and over with. the mississippi st stuff has yet to be determined. auburn stands behind him 100 percent. he is still the best player in the college game this year.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Most professionals tend to play better than amateurs.

The General
All State

Post by The General »

The ORESTES WAY of recruitng principles :lol: ...Let me remind you of 2 things..among many...In the last 10 years there is NO athletic university in this country as a whole who have executed a more lack of "Institutional control" than Ohio State...And just one more little tidbit...Maurice Clarett was a Tressel recruit...His high school coach,Thom McDaniels,from Warren Harding,"strongly" recommended to the Vest not to take the kid...because of " issues"...But remember one thing..Perception is not reality.It is only for the ignorant,biased,or politically motivated....And if you tell a lie that is big enough and if you tell it real well,many will believe it... :lol:

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

From the movie Casablanca-
Captain Renault: "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here."
Emile: "Your winnings, sir."
Captain Renault: "Thank you very much."

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

If you look hard enough you will find it just about everywhere! Cars, money, etc! Just talk to some that have been there or been around guys that were there. A coach of a school that was then in the Southwest Conference calls a kid and talks with his brother and ask, "Does you brother need a new car?" A kids signs a national letter of intent and is driving a new van the next day that just happens to have the school signature on it. The recruit gets off a plan and is greeted by beautiful women. It is business nothing more nothing less. A guy is convinced to go across the nation to walk on at a school and is told that if he gets so much playing time he will get a full ride-the young man ends up starting and can't wait until the next season. He goes into the coaches office and says "coach how about my scholarship?" The coach looks at him and says, "I do not have a scholarship for you." The young man says, "coach you told me that if I got so much playing time there would be one and I ended up starting." The coach finishes, "I gave it to a recruit that is better than you. We got you out here and got a year out of you, thanks."

WhiteWhiskers
JV Team

Post by WhiteWhiskers »

Newton should never have been allowed back in DI after what he did in Florida but if a school (coach) can get some play out of them anything short of murder will get them back on the field or court I believe in second chances in some cases but the second chanceers should not be allowed in the sports programs

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Rule #1- Don't blatantly cheat
Rule #2- Don't cheat in the same conference as one of your fellow cheaters
Rule #3- Don't get caught :razz:

Return to “College Sports”