Who Wins the Heisman?

Who wins it?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:29 pm

Total votes: 0

Orestes
S

Re: Who Wins the Heisman?

Post by Orestes »

The General wrote:Orestes......To answer your question. I doubt it.... :) ...I suppose you are talking about Vince Young. Could I be correct?... If I am, there are some simmilarities. They are both African-American QB's. They are both big. They both played for or are playing for major programs in NCAA football. There are others. There are also some differences. One being Young is already in the show and is a starter for the Titans. And that is something,considering how good you have to be to play that position in that league. He has had some problems. But he is there. This new kid at Auburn.....well.....he has it to do.But he has a skills-set that is downright scary. So big,fast,and athletic it is hard to believe.He plays in a college read-option run game that is completely up-tempo. They are not real sophisticated in their throw game.But he is. This young man has a cannon. He can make any throw and has unreal mechanics for such a young,raw QB.This kid is the biggest game-changer and the best talent in America up to this point,playing in this nations elite college conference. He is the biggest,fastest,and most talented kid I have ever seen play this position in my lifetime. And he has so much fun playing the game it appears. An absolue cannon for an arm with a quick release. Now do all these skills transition to the NFL? Barring injury,you would think so even with the way Auburn plays. At this point in the year,as far as the Heisman award goes,he has to be the guy. Things can change in a hurry. But Cam Newton is a hell of a talent. The Pryor"clone" argument is for another time.
Newton and Pryor just look similar on the field.

Pryor is faster but more finesse.

Newton is a much more physical runner.

When both are not pressured, Pryor is the more accurate passer, especially downfield.

Newton is likely better at, and throws a lot more short passes that feed the passing percentage.

Newton appears less susceptible to injury, as Pryor is very hobbled right now with both running and planting to throw.

Both are better off where they are, considering the uses and needs to their teams (Auburn and OSU).

fightingtigers45
S

Post by fightingtigers45 »

If Pryor is a better downfield passer than Newton, then Newton is terrible. :lol:

In all seriousness, I would like to have either one of these guys when the play calling is right.

TigerTownKid
Varsity

Post by TigerTownKid »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:at this point in the season , i'd say kellen moore from boise state as well. remember it's not about the best team, or schedule. but the most outstanding player in the country.
I agree with that statement completely.
BUT would you rather have Kellen Moore or Cam Newton? Let's be serious. Kellen Moore is doing it against teams that some high school teams could compete against. Cam Newton is doing it against the BEST competition that you can find. Advantage to Newton.

ronnie88richards
JV Team

Post by ronnie88richards »

So far I'd have to say these are my top 5. 1. Cam Newton 2. Lamichael James 3. Pryor 4. Kellen Moore 5. Andrew Luck

You're Tiger Bait wrote:at this point in the season , i'd say kellen moore from boise state as well. remember it's not about the best team, or schedule. but the most outstanding player in the country.

You're Tiger Bait, schedule an also being the best team does in fact matter when it comes to Heisman voters,
look back at recent years past 5-6 years the Heisman winner played in the National Championship game except for Tim Tebow but he def. had the best stats out of anyone that year. Kellen Moore will get invite but I'd say there is a real slim chance of him winning, Boise States schedule just plain out hurts his chances. Also when is the last time someone out of a different conference than Pac-10,Big 12,SEC, Big 10,ACC, Big East won the heisman? Yes he is a good QB but you can easily say that if Cam Newton played Boise States schedule or anyone I have in the top 5 plays Boise State Schedule could have much better stats. Just a little something to think about.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

CAN I CHANGE MY MIND CAM NEWTON, AND TERRELL PRYOR PLAYED PLUMB OUTSIDE DEY MINDS TODAY.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

yea i picked to early . cam newton is something else

VIKED_MAN
Varsity

Post by VIKED_MAN »

I now live in Auburn, and Newton is the real deal. I am a Buckeyes fan for life, but since moving here I have adopted the Tigers as my #2 team.
Newton took Binn Jr College to a national championship after leaving Florida; may do the same for Aubie and company?
BTY Pryor is the better passer, and Newton has a better "O" line in front of him!
I think the trophy is Cam's to lose at this point.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

blinn junior college is always tough, and produces top tier athletes.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

cam does have a better line in front of him. i cant remember the last time i seen a qb rush 27 times.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Newton

The General
All State

Post by The General »

I dont think that Auburns O-Line is that much better than OSUs...But what and how they do things against great competition is just a little more,shall I say,"advanced" over what the Vest does :lol: :lol: .....One more thing....Newton is a very explosive and athletic runner with a great understanding of how they play...Biggest and fastest kid I have ever seen play the position. Plus his acceleration and toughness are,so far,extraordinary.......As far as how he throws it? ....Great mechanics...Strong,quick,easy release with great arm angles who you can tell can,or will,be able to make every throw. He struggles at the top of his drop against pressure with his feet,but what young QB doesnt? :) ...Pryor is also a big,fast,difference making runner who is extremely hard to defend and very dominating.Agreat athlete. But he has a fatal flaw right now,that if not corrected,will keep him from playing at the next level. He is a short-armer and a long strider and the only time that he gets sound and gets his mechanics right is when he guns it down the field...And he can.....But he cant make,as of now, the throws that it will take.....Both great athletes....But Newton is better and he is the best offensive player in college football right now....Kellen Moore is outstanding.....James is a TD just waiting to happen in that offense...And Shoelace is outstanding...Luck has the NFL drooling.....lots of fine players

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Cam Newton-Auburn

Red_Dog
Freshman Team

Post by Red_Dog »

I originally picked Pryor to win it. But now I'm not real sure. I would like to see him win it, but I think it's going to be either Cam Newton or Lamichael James. I think Cam Newton will have one down game though that may cost him his Heisman hopes because he has a tough schedule. Therefore, I think it will be Lamichael James from Oregon.

el savior
Freshman Team

Post by el savior »

Cam Newton can only lose the Heisman right now.

The General
All State

Post by The General »

If You are a fan of college football and are not watching CAM and their game right now against OLE MISS...You are really missing something...

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Pryor will not even get an invitation to be on the stage at NYC. The physical skills are there
but the intangible traits that go into being a leader and winner are not there. It is Newton's
trophy to lose.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Omega wrote:Pryor will not even get an invitation to be on the stage at NYC. The physical skills are there
but the intangible traits that go into being a leader and winner are not there. It is Newton's
trophy to lose.
It is Newton's to lose right now. I agree totally.

But yesterday didn't do much to influence that lead. Both played poor teams and Pryor had better numbers.

I guess 18-22 passing for 222 yards and 2 TDs with 1 INT is lacking intangible traits. Hey, 5 carries for 55 yards is weak-sauce too. Even Craig James (usually tough on all things OSU) was drooling over Pryor.

The only difference between Newton and Pryor this year is this: Pryor protects himself while running which eliminates the kind of physicality Newton possesses, and Pryor has been injured since the Illinois game.

Not to mention, until yesterday, only Sanzenbacher had helped Pryor as a WR. Against Wisconsin, some of the head-scratching throws from Pryor were good reads and throws, but Posey wasn't settling into the open spot in the zone. He was drifting into the defenders. Thus, Pryor's throws were to "no one" and landed in the empty space, the empty space Posey was supposed to be settled into.

el savior
Freshman Team

Post by el savior »

Pryor is no quarterback, he showed that against Wisconsin and many other games over the course of his career. In the second half against Wisconsin he simply missed short throw after short throw. These were 3 to 5 yard passes where his throws had no touch, accuracy or anything.

The only reason he has good numbers is because he tears up defenses such as, Eastern Michigan, Ohio, Purdue, Minnesota, etc. He plays a couple of decent defenses in Illinois and Wisconsin, and he forgets how to play.

Don't get me wrong Pryor is an incredible athlete, but to say he's anything else than that right now is quite laughable.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

el savior wrote:Pryor is no quarterback, he showed that against Wisconsin and many other games over the course of his career. In the second half against Wisconsin he simply missed short throw after short throw. These were 3 to 5 yard passes where his throws had no touch, accuracy or anything.

The only reason he has good numbers is because he tears up defenses such as, Eastern Michigan, Ohio, Purdue, Minnesota, etc. He plays a couple of decent defenses in Illinois and Wisconsin, and he forgets how to play.

Don't get me wrong Pryor is an incredible athlete, but to say he's anything else than that right now is quite laughable.
He was 10-17 passing against Wisconsin in the second half. Again, Posey did him no favors by refusing to settle into the space in the zone. Pryor threw to the space, and Posey kept floating instead of sitting down in it. Overall, Pryor was 14-28 for 156 yards against Wisconsin.

Cam Newton was 7-14 against Clemson and was 10-16 against LSU for 86 yards.

The difference? OSU doesn't run Pryor much and he was limping terribly against Wisconsin.

el savior
Freshman Team

Post by el savior »

Orestes wrote:He was 10-17 passing against Wisconsin in the second half. Again, Posey did him no favors by refusing to settle into the space in the zone. Pryor threw to the space, and Posey kept floating instead of sitting down in it. Overall, Pryor was 14-28 for 156 yards against Wisconsin.

Cam Newton was 7-14 against Clemson and was 10-16 against LSU for 86 yards.

The difference? OSU doesn't run Pryor much and he was limping terribly against Wisconsin.
I'm not saying Newton is a better passer. I was just stating what I have seen from Pryor. Overall, Newton is more complete. He will run over or around you and has a skill set to pass the ball. He is doing it in the toughest conference to do it. Mind you Auburn hasn't really played the beef of their schedule yet, but neither has Ohio State.

Newton is not afraid to take off when no one is open. Pryor has a tendency to stand in the pocket too long and force throws that shouldn't have been forced. I know he wants to be looked at as a "pocket" type quarterback, but he needs to do what he's best at... take off and run.

Return to “College Sports”