Alabama #1, Ohio State #2 In Preseason Coaches Poll

FSUfly#13
Varsity

Re: Alabama #1, Ohio State #2 In Preseason Coaches Poll

Post by FSUfly#13 »

In other receiving votes, Boston College/Clemson are favorable to possibly make the Top 25 and are behind Cincy/BYU/Arizona/Mississippi. Michigan is not even in the receiving votes, although that does not mean they can't get up there it just means voters know they are not the same Michigan team in previous years. The only Big Ten school receiving votes is Michigan State.

FSUfly#13
Varsity

Post by FSUfly#13 »

I do agree with FT45 about Iowa though. They are not a powerhouse, they proved a lot last year but with a lot of nail biters on the road and especially at home. They were good but not great. I doubt they finish out in the top 10, if so I will be surprised.

FSUfly#13
Varsity

Post by FSUfly#13 »

gahs4ever wrote:
The SEC has done this 400 times

In 2008, the SEC had four in the top 10.

Last year there were 5 in the top 13, alone...We all saw how that turned out. Preseason is preseason.

Those four are also all the Big Ten has...The SEC has two in the top three and six in the top 25. I can argue and say the SEC's results are better than that of the Big Ten. Whoopedy-doo.

You just dont want to get it do you? You can laugh all you want , but my point isnt about the SEC or the validity and accuracy of pre season polls. The point IS you and every other talking head in the country delights in ridiculing the Big Ten. Since your GAWD almighty SEC is all that, it shouldnt come as a surprise that they have that many teams represented in the pre season polls. What IS surprising is how the Big Ten continues to get ridiculed and yet has FOUR teams in the top 14.

And Mr Fly likes to point out the ACC and their five teams in the top 25 and saying the Big Ten "only" has four, but those four are in the top 14....not the top 25.

Im tired of arguing with kids who frame their arguments to serve their own point of view. Personally I dont care about the rest of the Big Ten except when the league gets hammered unfairly. All I really care about is OSU, and to be perfectly frank, I dont care if you respect Tressel's program or not.

There are a very few select programs (regardless of league affiliation) who have won National Championships in football this past decade and even fewer who have played in three championship games. That validates what Tressel is doing regardless of what anyone thinks of it.

Have a nice day.
You are basing things off of pre-season rankings. I bet if there were only 4 teams in the Top 17, you would make a point for that, or the top 20. You only mentioned Top 14 because that is where the last Big Ten team is in the rankings? Any team in the top 25 can finish below or above the top 14. The point is irrelevant. And yes, the SEC is unfortunately almighty. They have won the past 4-5 National Championships. DAGGON I'd love to hear what the Big Ten would have to say about their conference if they won 4-5 straight Championships.

FSUfly#13
Varsity

Post by FSUfly#13 »

Ohio State probably loses 3+ games in the SEC last year. Poor home game against Navy, lost to a terrible USC team, and Purdue. Navy would finish last in the SEC. USC would be in the middle somewhere, Purdue would probably be behind USC.

Charge
Varsity

Post by Charge »

FANOSPORTS wrote:
seofan_via_dublin wrote:If this years Bama proves to be the most dominate team to ever come out of the SEC,
and OSU beats them in the title game,
it will still be the same crap from haters.

Only you'll go back and give the "even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes", or "yea, but you can't beat Florida".

Bust my chops if we lose a game, I talk a big talk and can take it and expect it if the Buckeyes don't come through.
But, if we go the whole season unbeaten and win the Title, then don't make excuses and hate on the Buckeyes.
I guarantee you if Ohio State would let's say, beat Alabama in the national title game the USA as a whole would then have a lot more respect for the Big Ten. Somebody has to step up and beat a Nationally renowned team before this is gonna happen and until then people will continue to negate whatever the Big Ten does. When they play these teams, they have to keep a .500 record and it's not happening here recently. The Big Ten can continue to beat the Texas A&M's, Oregon's, Georgia Tech's and South Carolina's of the world but until they prove they can beat the perennial power teams in bowl games, they will not get national respect. The Big Ten is real lucky in the fact that Penn State and Michigan have done their best in recent history to administer a few losses on traditional power teams in bowl games which I believe has kept the Big 10 from becoming a laughing stock amongst national fans of various conferences. OSU ought to thank both those teams. JMO

Ohio State 7 national championships WVU 0 nuff said

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

FANOSPORTS wrote:
seofan_via_dublin wrote:If this years Bama proves to be the most dominate team to ever come out of the SEC,

Only you'll go back and give the "even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes", or "yea, but you can't beat Florida".

Bust my chops if we lose a game, I talk a big talk and can take it and expect it if the Buckeyes don't come through.
But, if we go the whole season unbeaten and win the Title, then don't make excuses and hate on the Buckeyes.
I guarantee you if Ohio State would let's say, beat Alabama in the national title game the USA as a whole would then have a lot more respect for the Big Ten. Somebody has to step up and beat a Nationally renowned team before this is gonna happen and until then people will continue to negate whatever the Big Ten does. When they play these teams, they have to keep a .500 record and it's not happening here recently. The Big Ten can continue to beat the Texas A&M's, Oregon's, Georgia Tech's and South Carolina's of the world but until they prove they can beat the perennial power teams in bowl games, they will not get national respect. The Big Ten is real lucky in the fact that Penn State and Michigan have done their best in recent history to administer a few losses on traditional power teams in bowl games which I believe has kept the Big 10 from becoming a laughing stock amongst national fans of various conferences. OSU ought to thank both those teams. JMO
Yet, Ohio State handles those teams who handled powerhouse SEC teams (Penn State, Michigan, Wisconsin) on a yearly basis. Could it be that OSU laid one egg against Florida, but was simply over-matched against a newly healthy LSU team? Otherwise, they played nip/tuck with Texas and manhandled Oregon. Yep, people say Oregon means nothing, but before the game, the same tools were predicting Ohio State to be blown out. In fightingtiger's words, "This could get ugly."

Every game Ohio State loses was a big game and against an elite opponent. Once they win, it's time for retroactive rationalizations. As you can see, the win over one of the greatest college football dynasties and team (Miami) never happened.

If Ohio State fans can't enjoy Ohio State football until the haters give them respect, then they should just stop watching. It's never happening. They'll predict a big OSU loss beforehand and proceed to downplay the win afterward.

As for me, my esteem and pride in OSU football will remain determined by me and my expectations.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

By Decade:
2000-2009: OSU #4 in win % (the same # of wins as USC with one less loss than the Trojans)
1990-1999: OSU #10 in win %
1980-1989: OSU #16 in win %
1970-1979: OSU #6 in win %
1960-1969: OSU #5 in win %
1950-1959: OSU #12 in Win %
1940-1949: OSU #25 in win % (Hardin-Simmons was #3, Army #5, San Jose St #6)
1930-1939: OSU #12 in win % (top 10 include Holy Cross, Duke, Fordam, and Ohio University)

Have I gone back far enough, or do we need to get all the way back to 1869.
Since 1909, THAT'S 100 FULL YEARS, no team in the NCAA has a higher winning percentage than the Buckeyes.

Like Orestes pointed out, the Buckeyes have lost a couple "big" games, BUT they are beating the teams every year
that are going down and beating your examples of excellence.

They laid an egg against Florida, that's nice, but only redshirt freshmen are even on those teams anymore.
They were overmatched against LSU, and LSU finally got healthy for the bowl.
They've beaten Texas, they've beaten Oregon, they've beaten top 10 schools.

But, when they give you evidence that is counter productive to your hate mongering, you poo-poo it and make excuses.

fightingtigers45
S

Post by fightingtigers45 »

On my iPhone will respond to more later. I just want to address one thing.

Ohio State didn't just lay an egg against Florida. That's ludacris. They were overmatched in the trenches and their game plan was never adjusted. That's not laying an egg. Florida had better players and better coaching. That's being overmatched. They were overmatched against Florida, LSU, and USC the first time around. All the others were fairly equal.

fightingtigers45
S

Orestes wrote:In fightingtiger's words, "This could get ugly."
Im not hiding behind this prediction. Notice I didnt say "This will get ugly."...Oregon had the potential and the tools to give the OSU defense all kinds of trouble. But I also saw the potential of an Ohio State beatdown. It was a game that was tough to pick for me. Had Ohio State not had a bad reputation, I probably would have picked them to win. A good friend of mine is a huge Oregon fan, for whatever reason. I told him that I could see Oregon winning 45-20 and I could see Ohio State just simply shutting Oregon down. For the most part, Ohio State shut the Ducks down from start to finish. Im not going to call it a "manhandling", as you have, due to the fact that Oregon had a chance to win it in my eyes. In the last eight minutes of the game (not sure of exact time), they missed a FG that was very make able. If they make it, they are within a touchdown with a drive left in them.

Back to the Florida game....

There is no way it was a laying of an egg. Some guys that I can think of that are examples of teams "laying an egg"...

Ohio State vs. Illinois-2007(?)
Florida vs. Ole Miss-2008
Ohio State vs. Purdue-2009

In those examples, one team was favored heavily and had the better players and coaches. They were defeated, however, due to lack of execution, focus, etc. To me, that is laying an egg. I could define it differently than others, however.

fightingtigers45
S

gahs4ever wrote:^^^^^^We've really got to stop meeting like this. People are starting to talk. It just never ceases to amaze me that if you want to get the Florida poster and Florida St poster going, all you have to do is start a thread on the excellence over time of the Ohio State program. Then they come running.
I will never deny the history of the Ohio State program. Ever. Their history is far greater than that of the University of Florida.

The things I will dispute, however, are the extreme thoughts of that of the Buckeye faithful. The "We are the Best no matter what you say" mentality. If you notice, I only argue recent success of the Buckeyes. My point about the Oregon game is fairly simple...Dont hang your hat on a win over the #7 team who had two prior losses. That is all. It was a great win, but dont bring that up when defending your team.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Back to the subject of the poll, a poll this early has little validity. A popularity contest based on past reputation. Realisticaly, the Big Ten champ, whoever that may be, will likely have two losses and be ranked somewhere between 6th to 10th.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Charge wrote:
FANOSPORTS wrote:

Ohio State 7 national championships WVU 0 nuff said
I think the Mountaineers do well for themselves considering the state has about 1/15th the population of Ohio and about 50 times less the money and support that OSU has for it's size. Yes, OSU does have 7 national championships (1942, 1954, 1957, 1968 and 2002 on the field, 1961 paper championship when the powers that be at OSU wouldn't let them go to a bowl game and 1970 paper title when Stanford and Jim Plunkett beat them in the Rose Bowl). WVU has none but have won their share of bowl games over the last 60 years and have played for 2 national titles in the last 20 years. As for recent history, I don't believe OSU would have beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl in 2005 as WV did nor Oklahoma in the Fiesta bowl in 2007 as WV did. I think those are two of the traditional powers that OSU hasn't beaten in quite a while. WV has also beaten Georgia Tech and North Carolina in bowls recently but as we all know by debating on here that the ACC is no good in football but when Iowa beats them last year in a "BCS" game everyone in Big Ten country says, Oh well we beat a good Georgia Tech team. You can't have it both ways people. By the way I am both a WVU & Ohio State supporter and have lived in both states numerous years. I also happen to have autographs from all the OSU quarterbacks of the National Championship teams: George Lynn(1942), Frank Kremblas(1954), Dave Leggett(1957), John Mummey(1961), Rex Kern(1968/1970) and Craig Krenzel (2002). If those autograph's could only talk I wonder what they'd say about the state of college football today ?

FSUfly#13
Varsity

Post by FSUfly#13 »

Ok, Florida went to 2 titles in 3 years, and won 2. College Football runs in cycles. FSU went to 5 national championships from 1993-2001. Their regular season schedule was weak but so are the Buckeyes. I agree with FT45 Ohio State hangs their hat on too many Bowl wins. Oregon game being one of them. Oregon was good but not great. It was a great matchup on paper but EVERYONE knows the Pac 10 hasn't seen a defense like Ohio States. I called it a blowout before the game started, that Ohio State would win easy. Oregon beat overrated USC and (8-5) Cal and also lost to Boise. I wasn't too impressed. But I would take Urban over Tressell. 2 titles in 3 years, tougher conference. Lost 1 game to rival in his prime to Georgia. Owns FSU, Tenn, GA! Unfortunately for me, but its the truth. Bowden owned Spurrier. Urban owns Bowden/and sorta Jimbo.

To be the best you have to beat the best. Ohio State couldn't beat the best in the SEC. Therefore, Ohio State is not a powerhouse. They are fortunate to be in the conference they are in. Soon, the Big Ten may be much stronger. Michigan will rise and Iowa/Wisconsin/Penn State are also on the rise too. I have my opinion, whether its ignorant or people don't agree, or even if some of it is legit. I respect the opinions of others as well, it's just an opinionated topic so no need to get your panties in a bunch.

1 more thing.
No one cares if you have TBDBITL. Most of you probably made fun of your band members in high school in the first place, especially the tuba player (The guy who dots the i). Who cares about who has the best band. All college bands are good anyway, unless its some rinky dink technical college.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

FSUfly#13 wrote: 1 more thing.
No one cares if you have TBDBITL. Most of you probably made fun of your band members in high school in the first place, especially the tuba player (The guy who dots the i). Who cares about who has the best band. All college bands are good anyway, unless its some rinky dink technical college.
Blurt!

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

FSUfly#13 wrote: Oregon was good but not great. It was a great matchup on paper but EVERYONE knows the Pac 10 hasn't seen a defense like Ohio States. I called it a blowout before the game started, that Ohio State would win easy.
No you didn't.

You failed to post an opinion on the topic thread until after the game had happened.
You offered no insight into the game, no opinion on how it would unfold, you gave us nothing...which is not unusual.

Instead, you logged on after the game was finished and bashed the Buckeyes for beating "an overrated" opponent.

I love different opinions, but the problem most of us have with yours is that you are a hypocrit.

Charge
Varsity

Post by Charge »

1998 OHST 34 WVU 17
1987 OHST 24 WVU 3
1903 OHST 34 WVU 6
1902 OHST 30 WVU 0
1900 OHST 27 WVU 0
1897 OHST 0 WVU 24
Saying Ohio State couldn't have beat GA or the Sooners is what you think, it means nothing. WVU not being able to beat a sub 500 Pitt that season did mean something. Sounds like you have some practice issues to worry about now.

FSUfly#13
Varsity

Post by FSUfly#13 »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:
FSUfly#13 wrote: Oregon was good but not great. It was a great matchup on paper but EVERYONE knows the Pac 10 hasn't seen a defense like Ohio States. I called it a blowout before the game started, that Ohio State would win easy.
No you didn't.

You failed to post an opinion on the topic thread until after the game had happened.
You offered no insight into the game, no opinion on how it would unfold, you gave us nothing...which is not unusual.

Instead, you logged on after the game was finished and bashed the Buckeyes for beating "an overrated" opponent.

I love different opinions, but the problem most of us have with yours is that you are a hypocrit.
Well if I didn't say it on here, then I must have told my friends. Oregon was overrated but not because they weren't good, because they were, but because they were perceived to have one of the greatest offenses. No reason to lie about prediction. Just because I hate Ohio State doesn't mean I didn't think they would win.

FSUfly#13
Varsity

Post by FSUfly#13 »

gahs4ever wrote:There you go again.

"No one cares if you have TBDBITL?" Have you ever been to a skull session before the game or been there when they march into the stadium? I dont know how bands become a part of a topic about Alabama and Ohio State, but go to YouTube and type in the band and you will see that of all the things you have said on here, to say no one cares about the band is the grossest inaccuracy of all.

Ohio State sees an SEC team a few times a decade in a bowl game and yet you write them off by saying they "couldnt beat the best in the SEC." Accurate as far as it goes, but then if Ohio State played in the SEC there is no doubt in my mind that having that kind of year in and out history and track record would see them rise to the top there as well. Kind of unfair to make a blanket indictment based on only one game played every so often, dont you think?

But to say that Ohio State is not a powerhouse is to relegate 98% of DI football to mediocrity because year in and out the Bucks are top 10 and more often than not under Tressel top five or better. You dont play in three National championship games in a decade unless you are some kind of powerhouse.

I understand your loyalty to FSU and the SEC and ACC, but if you cant at least give OSU their obvious due, IMO you lose all credibility if not your objectivity.
They are a powerhouse in history and I guess considering in terms of wins and bowl appearances, anyone would agree that Ohio State has one of best programs of all time. I am saying that they would not have the same success in the SEC in recent years as they have in the Big Ten. LSU and Florida beat Ohio State, you're right. I am not basing it solely on that itself. Ohio State has been known to scrape by teams in recent years and even losing to surprising teams at home like Illinois, USC, Navy..there are 5-6 teams in the SEC better than all 3 of them. USC would have the biggest chance to compete, but losing 4 games in the Pac 10 they don't stand a chance in the SEC. You guys have even said for yourself that the Big Ten is down, how does Ohio State always manage to be considered one of the best teams and in the hunt for the title but always lose in the regular season to at least 1 or 2 mediocre schools and still find a way to the BCS. I'm always baffled by that. They do bring a tough team most of the time for the BCS, but they aren't proving much to ME by slipping up to mediocre teams and everyone thinks they are great. These are also the fans who were wanting Tressel gone and Pryor on the bench. They beat Oregon and are praised.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Charge wrote:1998 OHST 34 WVU 17
1987 OHST 24 WVU 3
1903 OHST 34 WVU 6
1902 OHST 30 WVU 0
1900 OHST 27 WVU 0
1897 OHST 0 WVU 24
Saying Ohio State couldn't have beat GA or the Sooners is what you think, it means nothing. WVU not being able to beat a sub 500 Pitt that season did mean something. Sounds like you have some practice issues to worry about now.
I ain't gonna lie, I myself think OSU should beat WVU everytime they play just because of sheer size, student population & resources (that is reality). What point are you trying to make ? As far as Pitt that year you're right but that game to WVU is like the Michigan game to OSU. You think you know what will happen but sometimes the wrong team wins, that's why they're called "RIVALRY" games. Have a great day !!!!!

Super Fresh
Freshman Team

Post by Super Fresh »

FANOSPORTS wrote:
Charge wrote:
I think the Mountaineers do well for themselves considering the state has about 1/15th the population of Ohio and about 50 times less the money and support that OSU has for it's size. Yes, OSU does have 7 national championships (1942, 1954, 1957, 1968 and 2002 on the field, 1961 paper championship when the powers that be at OSU wouldn't let them go to a bowl game and 1970 paper title when Stanford and Jim Plunkett beat them in the Rose Bowl). WVU has none but have won their share of bowl games over the last 60 years and have played for 2 national titles in the last 20 years. As for recent history, I don't believe OSU would have beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl in 2005 as WV did nor Oklahoma in the Fiesta bowl in 2007 as WV did. I think those are two of the traditional powers that OSU hasn't beaten in quite a while. WV has also beaten Georgia Tech and North Carolina in bowls recently but as we all know by debating on here that the ACC is no good in football but when Iowa beats them last year in a "BCS" game everyone in Big Ten country says, Oh well we beat a good Georgia Tech team. You can't have it both ways people. By the way I am both a WVU & Ohio State supporter and have lived in both states numerous years. I also happen to have autographs from all the OSU quarterbacks of the National Championship teams: George Lynn(1942), Frank Kremblas(1954), Dave Leggett(1957), John Mummey(1961), Rex Kern(1968/1970) and Craig Krenzel (2002). If those autograph's could only talk I wonder what they'd say about the state of college football today ?

Very Well said.... I have not been fortunate to read the bs of OSU fans on here for a while. I agree 100% with this comment. And as for seofan_via_dublin.... name a player from the 1910s, 20s, I'll even give you the 40s. Your comments have nothing to do with TODAY'S COLLEGE FOOTBALL, unless you are getting recruits for tradition..... 100 years ago. If that was the case, the Ivy League would be stacked... Championships from 1869- 1900. That's a Power House Conference! Minnesota would be loaded too, 5 Championships before your first, That was because they had Bernie Bierman. WHO????? Who cares... once you go back so far, and you factor in how the game has changed over time, it doesn't matter.

Return to “College Sports”