2010 OSU Buckeyes

OSU Season Record Predictions

Poll ended at Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:37 pm

Total votes: 0

Omega
SEOPS H

2010 OSU Buckeyes

Post by Omega »

The 2010 season approches. What say you as to how TOSU fares?

Hoggy
SEOP

Re: 2010 OSU Buckeyes

Post by Hoggy »

I would love to see the Buckeyes run the table, but I think they will slip at least one game during the course of the year.

If TP can continue his play like he did against Oregon last year, I like their chances of winning out and being in the NC game. Having only 4 road games will definitely help out as well! The two road games against Wisconsin and Iowa (Two pre-season top 10 teams) will definitely test the grit of the Buckeyes though.

Marshall - Win (The last time they played in 2004, OSU won 24-21 with a 55 yd FG with 2 seconds left in the game. This is not one to get caught looking forward to the next game.)

Miami (FL) - Will be an early test against a pre-season top 15 ranked team, but playing at home will help. Win, but this could be a blemish if OSU is still trying to find rhythm on the offense & the defense has problems staying with the speed that Miami will bring.

Ohio - Win - Coming off a big game the previous week is always a challenge to not have an emotional let down. The last time they played in 2008, OU was leading 14-12 going into the 4th quarter. This is OU's National championship game and will bring their best. (Only a matter of time before a MAC school creates the perfect storm......on any given Saturday).

Eastern Michigan - Win

@Illinois - Win

Indiana - Win

@Wisconsin - A pre-season top 10 team that is dangerous. The Badgers always play OSU hard and this game is another possible road block. I am going with the Buckeyes, but wouldn't be surprised if they came up a little short.

Purdue - Win (Pay back time for last year's 18-26 loss)

@Minnesota - Win

Penn State - Win

@Iowa - Another pre-season top 10 team that took OSU into overtime last year. This is another game that could keep the Buckeyes from posting a clean slate. To me, this is the most dangerous game on the schedule and could go either way. (Toss Up game, but I am going with the Buckeyes of course.)

Michigan - Win (Rivalry game! Anything can happen, but I hope the Buckeyes continue their domination over tSUN.)

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

Hoggy wrote:
Miami (FL) - Will be an early test against a pre-season top 15 ranked team, but playing at home will help. Win, but this could be a blemish if OSU is still trying to find rhythm on the offense & the defense has problems staying with the speed that Miami will bring.

Are you still buying that load of garbage?
OSU beat Miami when Miami was fatser than they are now, and OSU was much slower than the current Buckeyes D.
Tressel has realized and accepted that lack of defensive speed killed the bUckeyes in 06/07. He has addressed those issues, and speed will not be a problem with "The U"

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I agree....OSU is way faster than Miami, and OSU was also WAY faster than USC's illegal pre NFL team from last year. I was at that game and OSU flew around USC and pushed them all over the field for 3 and a half quarters.

I expect this to be a game with Miami where Tress puts the foot on the gas (ala Northwestern) to prove a early point!

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

Are you still buying that load of garbage?
OSU beat Miami when Miami was fatser than they are now, and OSU was much slower than the current Buckeyes D.

I am not buying into anything. The results for the past 5 years (5-6) against out of conference BCS schools and Bowl games is what concerns me. If you don't think speed was an issue (offensive or defensive), then we must have been watching different games. Trust me, I am a huge OSU fan and hope they go undefeated every year, but I am also a realist. This is why the Miami game concerns me.

2005 - OSU went 1-1 against out of conference BCS schools. Win over Notre Dame and loss to Texas.

2006 - OSU went 2-1 against out of conference BCS schools. Win over Cincy and Texas & loss to Florida.

2007 - OSU went 1-1 against out of conference BCS schools. Win over Washington and loss to LSU.

2008 - OSU went 0-2 against out of conference BCS schools. Loses to USC and Texas.

2009 - OSU went 1-1 against out of conference BCS schools. Win over Oregon and loss to USC.

Tressel has realized and accepted that lack of defensive speed killed the bUckeyes in 06/07. He has addressed those issues, and speed will not be a problem with "The U"

The Buckeyes are 2-4 against out of conference BCS schools from 2007 to 2009 and have lost 2 out of the 3 games played in the first three games of their schedule (not bowl games).
Last edited by Hoggy on Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

In 05,06,07 the Buckeyes lost to the eventual National Title winners.

Texas in 08 was not a speed issue in a loss, it was a got caught blitzing and McCoy made a good read issue.
USC in 09 was not a speed issue, it was a "our defense couldn't stop a freshman QB from picking up a yard on 4th and 1 on three seperate
attempts issue."

Miami is not any where near the calibre of teams that you listed as the ones that the Buckeyes lost to.

fightingtigers45
S

Post by fightingtigers45 »

Miami will be of the caliber USC was this past season. If not higher.

Not that they will beat the Bucks, but they will be a good team.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

If we're talking the end of season USC, then I can agree.
But Miami is not going to be anywhere near what USC was considered to be before the season started last year.

fightingtigers45
S

Post by fightingtigers45 »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:If we're talking the end of season USC, then I can agree.
But Miami is not going to be anywhere near what USC was considered to be before the season started last year.

End of season USC? Its funny that Ohio State played them at the beginning of the year then.

USC wasnt good all of last year. They lost to 5-7 Washington the week after scraping by Ohio State. Their best two wins were Cal and Notre Dame. Woah. Look out.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

I think what he meant was that USC was supposed to run through the Pac10 last year and a preseason top 10 team, by seasons end they were back to a middle of the pack Pac10 team. They weren't what they were hyped to be from start to finish last year and when they beat the Buckeyes they were not that good either. We were too conservative and gave them the game in the end after beating them up for 3 qtrs +. Gotta capatalize when given the chance or ANYONE can beat any team. Hopefully we learned as a team and a staff from last year.

As far as this year, the Bucks could be really good and will be better than last year but still rely heavily on TP and imho if we don't allow him to do what he is best at every game then we will not reach our potential. Everyone points out the Rose Bowl game he played and he made some good plays but made alot of average throws and average runs considering his athletic ability. His best pass was dropped early in the game for a td.

Defensively, we will be better but have to replace alot at the safety position. LB will be interesting this year b/c we have some speed and Rolle gained alot of knowledge last year. Homan brings experience and smarts but his backups are probably more athletic and will be better than him in the long run.

I think they lose one game, don't really know who to but one game. I think TP will stun people both good and bad and Chekwa will commit at least one big pass interference per game especially if teams throw fade or go routes because he is probably the worst I have ever seen at turning his head, he would be the career leader in ints if he could turn his head to see the ball because he is almost always in position every since we played USC in LA.
Last edited by JChipwood on Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Legend_of_Northwest
All State

Post by The_Legend_of_Northwest »

If we had an offensive identity when we played USC last year we would have beat them easily. Just one of those games I wish would happen again.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Yeah but we were predictable going into and out of that game last year, too early in the year to show the cards. This year we will run limited plays against Marshall and hopefully that doesn't bite us against Miami. TP needs reps running as well as throwing, he is still a raw runner and looks clumsy when guys bear down on him. The throwing....... well only time will tell, time probably beyond this year to be consistant.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Got a feeling they'll stub their toe in Wisconsin, then in the bowl game.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

I am not buying into anything. The results for the past 5 years (4-7) against out of conference BCS schools and Bowl games is what concerns me. If you don't think speed was an issue (offensive or defensive), then we must have been watching different games. Trust me, I am a huge OSU fan and hope they go undefeated every year, but I am also a realist. This is why the Miami game concerns me.

2005 - OSU went 1-1 against out of conference BCS schools. Win over Notre Dame and loss to Texas.

2006 - OSU went 1-2 against out of conference BCS schools. Win over Cincy and losses to Texas & Florida.

2007 - OSU went 1-1 against out of conference BCS schools. Win over Washington and loss to LSU.

2008 - OSU went 0-2 against out of conference BCS schools. Loses to USC and Texas.

2009 - OSU went 1-1 against out of conference BCS schools. Win over Oregon and loss to USC.

The wins were against Cincinnati, Washington and Oregon (Not exactly close to the elite in their own conference over the years) and Notre Dame (who used to know how to play football). Ohio State needs to get some notable wins against perennial powers before anyone other than the Big Ten fans will show them any respect. Over the years, only Michigan and Penn State have kept the Big Ten's head above water by winning numerous bowl games over top flite competition.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Not that one game is going to change their record a whole lot but OSU dominated Texas in 2006 and certainly didn't lose to them, 24-7 OSU in Austin. Every time they have played the Horns it has been a winnable game with a very close outcome including '05 when Texas won the NC. Hartsook dropped the same 5 yard pass twice on one play in the endzone that would have given them the win. The last bowl game they pushed them around but didn't capatalize on great scoring opportunities instead getting conservative and losing on a good read by McCoy but an even worse defensive play and defensive call.

The_Legend_of_Northwest
All State

Post by The_Legend_of_Northwest »

FANOSPORTS, if I remember right there was talk that Ohio State was too slow and couldnt score enough to beat Oregon last year. That was a really good team that made USC look like San Jose State. Now after we outplayed them they're not considered a quality win because they dont have a great history?

Also JChipwood, Hamby dropped the pass against Texas not Hartsock.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

The only team to beat the Buckeyes in the Tressel era, that speed was the biggest factor in the game was Florida.

They ran around the field and made the Buckeyes look like 400 pound cops in the doughnut line.

The other loses were not on speed, they were on great play and good game changing reads by the winning team, or
bone head mistakes by the Buckeyes.

One might chalk the first USC loss up to a speed issue as well, but I'd put that one more on the helter-skelter state of
the Buckeyes offensive identity.

Miami doesn't have a speed advantage, and the entire Big Ten has no speed advantage in any way!

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Yeah it was Hamby but he dropped it twice not once! My bad, I was just going from memory.

Sometimes people listen to ESPN too much instead of watching the games. The speed issue has been corrected somewhat and even after Florida beat us down, their speed was exposed by a mediocre Michigan team that out muscled them in the trenches on both sides of the ball showing what other teams seemed affraid to try against them. Their d line was fast but a 240 pounder whould be faster than a 340 pounder, we tried to out finesse them and they pounded us with a rage not seen since Nebraska did it to them ten years earlier.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Unfortunatly it was Michigan who showed the world that speed only lasts so long when
you're constantly getting punched in the mouth.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

But, the Florida team that Michigan played and the Florida team that OSU played in the title game were not
the same.

And, on paper Michigan had a team that should have been playing for the title that year,
hence the reason we don't play the games on paper.

Return to “College Sports”