That's some BcS!

BOO YAH
Freshman Team

That's some BcS!

Post by BOO YAH »

How does Ohio State win 38-0 against Toledo and then drop 3 spots?

Peake
SEOP

Re: That's some BcS!

Post by Peake »

Probably has more to do with USC getting beat and falling so far then the win over Toledo. Just a guess.

BOO YAH
Freshman Team

Post by BOO YAH »

Yeah, I just read that they did not want USC to drop below OSU. Smells fishy to me. Oh well, it is out of my control. Just hard to believe.

pbuck
All State

Post by pbuck »

Well Boo Yah this is usually how the Top 25 polls works there not going to moving Ohio State ahead of USC because USC beat Ohio State

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

explain to me why oklahoma is still so high. they have beaten nobody. va. tech was losing before a hail mary in the final seconds beat nebraska. i understand keeping usc ahead of us because of the head to head, but usc still lost to an unranked team. a team that didnt win a game last year. at least our loss was to the #3 ranked team in the country at the time. lets hope that we get rewarded with a large jump if we can beat penn state, like that have with miami, fla, and some other teams. just hope we dont remain about the 5th ranked 1 loss team come week 10.

pbuck
All State

Post by pbuck »

Victor Creed I'll try my best.... OU & VT lost in week one OU was ranked 2 & VT was 10 also OSU fell to 17 or 18 from 6 after the USC game now USC has fallen from 3 to 12.after their losses and usually if you lose to a ranked team you fall about 5-10 spots and by and unranked team 7-12 spots ... If the loss is really bad a team may fall complete out. After week 1 OU fell to 14 and VT fell to 19 or 20 since then 2 weeks have gone and both teams have took care of business and teams ahead of them have lost but they haven't jumped any team... Usually if you beat an unranked you stay or jump up ahead of teams ahead of you that have lost and if a team beats a ranked team they could jump 3-10 spots.... This isn't the rules but theses are usually trends that the pollsters use every week really isn't fair but this is what have in college football today

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Oklahoma fell to #13 after their loss to BYU and was ranked #12 going into last weekend.
OSU fell to #11 after their loss to USC, which was their rank going into last weekend.

OSU beat Toledo 38-0, but USC lost to Washington on the road without their starting QB.
Oklahoma beat Tulsa 45-0, but BYU was blown out at home by FSU.

The result:

OSU drops two spots to #13.
Oklahoma moves up two spots to #10.

How does that make any sense at all? OSU gets penalized for USC losing, but Oklahoma gets rewarded for BYU losing? I agree that OSU should be behind USC, but there's no way that Oklahoma should have jumped them. I understand that OU was without Bradford for most of the game against BYU, but he's not back yet either, so why are they suddenly better than OSU?

Nice article on the subject here...

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/i ... e-standard

whompascat
All Conference

Post by whompascat »

Who cares about the polls this time of the year?

Beat usc on your home field and you would be in the top 5 :mrgreen:

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Beat usc on your home field and you would be in the top 5

Untill USC lost to Washington, then Ohio ST would have dropped to 8th or 9th.

pbuck
All State

Post by pbuck »

No way in the polls it doesn't matter what happened earlier in the season it focus on that week if OSU would beat USC they would have been prob 3 or 4 ... Then if USC would have lost to UW like they did and Ohio St won like they did OSU would have stayed put inside the top 5..... I gotta agree with whompscat, take care of business on the field and the polls will sort themselves out

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Obviously if OSU would have beaten USC, we wouldn't be talking about this. However, it still doesn't make sense. With the BCS, these polls DO matter. The final poll is the one that matters most, but these rankings do have significance. If you're going to have the BCS and involve human polls, there should be some type of logic or consistency to the voting.

This just as easily could have happened to someone else. Since this is an Ohio-based site and there are many OSU fans on here, the Buckeyes are the example we're using.

Return to “College Sports”