OSU vs. USC Take 2

Who wins?

Total votes: 0

fightingtigers45
S

Re: OSU vs. USC Take 2

Post by fightingtigers45 »

3morethan2 wrote:i would he hasnt won bowl game since the fiesta bowl against notre dame, lost two national titles bcs bowl and got throttled by usc last year.....yea michigan every year is a big game cuz its a rivalry but michigan is down and not hyped up to what it used to be ...but he'll be there a very long time just cuz he gets 10 win seasons and beats michigan every year and those 10 wins wont have any significant wins

Penn State last year at home..

pbuck
All State

Post by pbuck »

I think this will be a great game but I'll take USC in a close game 23 - 17

GoBuckeyes2786
Varsity

Post by GoBuckeyes2786 »

As far as tressels lack to win the big games, i dont fault him that much.....I think the blame falls primarily on the defensive coordinator Haycock and his inability to adjust from half to half.....against florida and lsu the hammered osu in the 1st half but were held in the 2nd after adjustments at the half. Last year against texas, osu played great until after half time when texas adjusted and put up 400yds offense in the 2nd half........in order to win big games against teams with big time offenses, haycock has to learn how to make immediate adjustments

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

I like USC.

After watching both teams, I watched two teams that have different strengths.

USC has depth at running back and will hit you in waves. USC will ask their offensive line and core of talented runningbacks to win this one. Barkley will be asked to manage the game, not win it. The difference between the two teams on the outside is USC has much more experience. I think Ohio State has plenty of talent, but has little experience especially in big games. I thought that the Ohio State secondary was very average against Navy, and that can not happen against USC.

I see Pryor showing up and having a good game, but USC is the type of team that Ohio State has to hate. Ohio State counts on teams losing confidence when Pryor breaks a big play. When Pryor makes that big play happen most teams will fold, but USC is different. They will answer big play with a big play. I think Ohio State will have to answer USC's quick touchdowns.

My prediction: USC 33-20

Winchell
JV Team

Post by Winchell »

The offensive and defensive lines, linebackers and secondary all concern me as a Buckeye fan. I hope they can pull out a win, but I am very skeptical.

frank-n-beans
Varsity

Post by frank-n-beans »

USC 42 OSU 10
Bucks score late to make it this close. The O-line is even more pathetic than last year. Until Bollman quits, the Bucks will be a punchline. Pryor will be running for his life 'til he gets to the NFL.
Say what you want about Mark May but he is just telling the truth. That was NAVY stuffing the run and chasing Pryor all over the backfield. Just wait until NFL caliber defenders line up against Cordle and friends.

Pocket Aces
S

Post by Pocket Aces »

Line opened USC -5 and has finally reached -7 just about everywhere.

OSU an instaplay here as the home pup off of the "struggle" versus Navy.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

fightingtigers45 wrote:If Ohio State loses this and loses it badly, do people finally start to admit Tressel isnt all he is cracked up to be? Just curious. Not wanting to start a Florida-Ohio State war here.

Just as soon as the Florida fans accept that Tebow is 0-1 vs. the Big Ten as a starter. :122249

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

I really believe this weekend will be Pryor's coming out party.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

If U think you saw the real OSU against Navy, good luck! OSU by 10. They lose to Penn State in State College but pull out a win in a BCS and finish 4th Nationally.

buckeyeshots
Freshman Team

Post by buckeyeshots »

For the exception of the 85 yard touchdown pass for Navy due to a blown coverage from Anderson Russel, the buckeyes were doing exactly what they were trying to do in this game: get other guys playing time (it's Joe Bausserman people!), and to not show USC their stable of plays. If you were watching this game and thought that OSU was firing on all cylinders on offense, you're not an OSU fan. There's a lot more that we're going to see this weekend.

I CAN'T WAIT!!

Don't like giving scores for games, and I'm not even going to pick a team to win (although I certainly HOPE that OSU will win) BUT, I think the winner of this game will win by 2 TD's, whoever it is...

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I am having a difficult time thinking that OSU fans really believe what they are saying when they say we showed nothing. I don't think that really is something that applies to the college game as much as it does to the lower levels.

I am sure USC was not worried about what they showed, rather saying you saw it now stop us.

I do expect OSU to play much better, but I am very concerned that the secondary will be overwhelmed by USC's speed and experience.

buckeyeshots
Freshman Team

Post by buckeyeshots »

You weren't there, were you?

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

What does that have to do with anything? This is college football. I played and I never once heard from our coaching staff that we are only going to do this in hopes that when we trade film the other team would not see it. You do what you have to do to win. I know they were allowing a lot of players to get time, but I am sure that was not their rational of thinking.

If this is true so be it, but I highly doubt it. Just my opinion.

ExTrojan
Waterboy

Post by ExTrojan »

I attended the game Saturday against Navy and seen good and bad things.

The offense and TP were just really starting to click and put together drives when JT puts in Bauserman. That really seemed to mess up the rythym.

2nd half was a total mess, missed assignments, blown coverages.

I am hoping it was just opening day jitters and playing against a scheme they will not see again. IF not, Saturday will get UGLY against SC

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

peake wrote:What does that have to do with anything? This is college football. I played and I never once heard from our coaching staff that we are only going to do this in hopes that when we trade film the other team would not see it. You do what you have to do to win. I know they were allowing a lot of players to get time, but I am sure that was not their rational of thinking.

If this is true so be it, but I highly doubt it. Just my opinion.

I'm going to respectfully disagree here...

Did you see Urban Meyer's press conference yesterday? He said they showed tempo changes because they had to for practice, but the rest of the playcalls were "painfully vanilla." He said they typically use 12-15 different sets a game, and they used about 3 Saturday.

Tressel has always been this way. Clearly, it didn't work against USC last year, but take a look at their non-conference mid-tier games for the last five years. The week before Texas in 2006, they beat NIU 35-21, and gave up loads of rushing yards to the RB. In 2007, they beat Akron 20-2, and the score was 3-2 at halftime.

I don't think they will stun USC. I think it has more to do with JT trying to put his offense in difficult situations. Plus, it gives him a chance to see if they can pound away for 2 yards when they need it, or if they need to dial up something else.

I'm not saying OSU wins. I'm like you, I think OSU needs to be able to contain the running game with 7 guys. PSU stopped USC's run with 8, but that caused them to be torched with the pass. However on offense, Nevada claims people will talk about the offense like they did after OSU/PSU of 2007. We'll see. He says that if the defense plays well, OSU wins. OSU will score. Again, we'll see.

BTW, Hines took all of the 1st team reps at Russell's spot yesterday. Or rather, he took them at Coleman's spot, and Coleman moved to Russell's.

ExTrojan
Waterboy

Post by ExTrojan »

We need to Blitz, Blitz and Blitz some more!!

The D cannot play soft and wait for SC, they need to dictate what SC is able to do.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

I think OSU needs to run a complicated zone-blitz scheme. Confuse the kid. If you blitz every play, they will kill you with screens and draws.

You have to make them think you're going to blitz and then don't. You have to make them think you're not going to blitz, then do. You have to make them think you're going to blitz and do. You have to make them have no clue who is coming and who is not. OSU did a nice job of this against PSU and Texas last season.

ExTrojan
Waterboy

Post by ExTrojan »

I agree

however that has not been the case in recent years. We play soft coverage or a zone that gets picked apart while at the same time getting little to no pressure on opposing QB's

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

The Buckeyes did show some stuff, in the first half.

Second half was a different story.

If you were disapointed with what you saw Saturday, then it is you
who need to change your expectations. What happened against Navy, was
exactly what I expected.

Now that we're done tounge kissing our opponents, and having love fest ceremonies and
cheer campaigns for visiting football teams, the buckeyes can get down to real buisiness.

Return to “College Sports”