Week 7: OSU @ ILLINOIS

Who wins?

Total votes: 0

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Re: Week 7: OSU @ ILLINOIS

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

OSU Passing stats 1 completion 17 yards 1 TD

Wisconsin's Monte Ball passing stats: 1 completion 25 yards 1 TD!

Maybe our problem isn't that we can't pass, it's that we ever tried in the first place!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Defense played well. Dont know why they didnt have a LB spying on the QB running out of the pocket, but it worked out. Boom and Hall ran hard, but would have like to see Hyde get more touches. He is a threat.

Buckeye player of the game: Herron

Backup Bucks player of the game: Ron Zook

If I was an Illinois fan, I would be very disgusted right now with how Zook coached the last 4 minutes of the game. At least the cameras didnt stay on him, I couldnt stand to see him finger comb his hair one more time.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

People get on Luke for his coaching but Zook has been around a long time.

While not passing much that kept the offensive line from showing how bad they pass block. To win a game on the road with just one pass completion. Not many coaches can say they have done that. The defense played well but was on the field a long time.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Great defensive effort today on the road. Two huge turnovers to set up the two TD's.
When you can run the ball like the Bucks did today why pass? Miller is going to be a good one but he is still very young. He has allot to learn and will get better as a passer. Missing Posey is a huge loss to the passing game. If not for a total meltdown last week the Bucks would be in pretty good shape. They have two weeks to prepare for Wisconsin who has to come to the shoe. The Bucks with that defense just might pull a major upset.

Chieftain
Varsity

Post by Chieftain »

Bucks looked good. Agree that Zook looked like a dummy. Didn't give his team much help at all.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i'm just glad to be back on the winning side of things.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

A win is positive whatever the circumstances. Yet I see today's outcome not so much a Buckeye victory but rather Illinois losing due to turnovers. Too me Illinois looked to have more polish and slightly better talent than the Bucks, yet the Illini self destructed.

Defense played with heart, but was wearing down at the end. The offense was vintage 1967 with Bill Long at quarterback. The only thing missing was a straight T formation with a fullback dive and Woody standing on the sidelines in short sleeves.

Perhaps this game is first step towards improvement.
Last edited by Omega on Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

I figure an Ironton guy like you would appreciate a solid Ground and Pound offense and a dominant D!

oldmo31
Varsity

Post by oldmo31 »

My god I saw where Holtz and May gave Simon a helmet sticker and autographed tshirt.Tell him not to accept it or they'll hit him for receiving improper benifits!!!

gymrat88
JV Team

Post by gymrat88 »

I'm as happy as any Buckeye fan to get back in the win column yesterday, but there is NO WAY that anybody should be happy about winning a game with attempting 4 passes. It’s a TERRIBLE coaching decision by Fickell, or Bollman, or whoever the heck decided to run 4 pass plays, because once again, we don’t allow Braxton to grow at all as a passer. It’s telling our QB that you can’t pass, and our receivers that you can’t catch. THE ONLY WAY THEY ARE EVER GOING TO LEARN HOW IS TO DO IT IN A GAME! We try the same stunts against Wisconsin, and we might have negative points at the end of the game. I laughed out loud when Fickell said coming out of halftime that they didn’t want to put the ball in the air with the wind. The wind must have magically stopped when Illinois had the ball because Scheelhause (sp) threw it 34 times. I’m not saying we should go air raid, but at least make an attempt so you can get your QB some reps, maybe 15-20 attempts a game. His field vision and throwing motion is never going to get better if we don’t pass the ball. Fickell is still not the guy for the job, never has been, never will be, and it wouldn’t hurt my feelings at all if Bollman was fired tomorrow.

mab43bac
Freshman Team

Post by mab43bac »

I agree gymrat ,Bollman needs to go hes a horrible OC and should have never been in that job. And the wind comment, didnt tress make that same comment in a game early in tps carreer.Im hoping they work on the pass these 2 weeks they have off and get the receivers we do have to run something other than a straight fly patteren.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

The wind was a factor. Illinois did throw the ball the second half but also threw 2 pick on balls that were very much affected by the wind. They have 2 weeks to work on the passing game and get ready for Wisky.

But with Miller not throwing tight spirals, the wind would have eaten his ball up.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Illinois threw because they had to.

We lined up, looked across the LOS, told the defense we were going to run, told them where, insulted their mother, and dared them to stop us!

They couldn't.

If you can get the win by doing that, and you don't hurt your QB by making him throw and him getting picked off, then do it.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Good win for the Buckeyes seems like every time I go against them they prove me wrong.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Somewhere Woody is smiling. Make that a belly laugh!

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

gymrat88 wrote:I'm as happy as any Buckeye fan to get back in the win column yesterday, but there is NO WAY that anybody should be happy about winning a game with attempting 4 passes. It’s a TERRIBLE coaching decision by Fickell, or Bollman, or whoever the heck decided to run 4 pass plays, because once again, we don’t allow Braxton to grow at all as a passer. It’s telling our QB that you can’t pass, and our receivers that you can’t catch. THE ONLY WAY THEY ARE EVER GOING TO LEARN HOW IS TO DO IT IN A GAME! We try the same stunts against Wisconsin, and we might have negative points at the end of the game. I laughed out loud when Fickell said coming out of halftime that they didn’t want to put the ball in the air with the wind. The wind must have magically stopped when Illinois had the ball because Scheelhause (sp) threw it 34 times. I’m not saying we should go air raid, but at least make an attempt so you can get your QB some reps, maybe 15-20 attempts a game. His field vision and throwing motion is never going to get better if we don’t pass the ball. Fickell is still not the guy for the job, never has been, never will be, and it wouldn’t hurt my feelings at all if Bollman was fired tomorrow.

After the way the Buckeyes ended the Nebraska game they needed a win. So attempting 4 passes in the game is fine with me. Your playing on the road and it is windy. Miller's passes are not spirals so the wind would effect his passes more. Running the ball kept the Illinois defense from putting the Busckeyes in long distance to go after a sack. It also gave the offensive line something positive after a lot of poor play lately. The only way they are ever going to get better is making positive steps even if they are just small ones in the game. It was not like the wide receivers were geting open anyway. If OSU can run the ball passing 10 times a game is fine. Need to have a good running game so that when we do pass it the defense does not have a team meeting at the QB. Also when they do pass try some short passes to get the QB some confidence instead of always 20 yards down field.

Illinios threw the ball but didn't have a lot of points. They were throwing ints which OSU was not. Illinios was not able to get the crowd into the game much which was in OSU favor. When the crowd gets loud it does effect Miller some. He is just getting use to playing in front of big and very loud crowds.

After this win the players will not have to listen to everyone getting on them for a loss. There will still be questions but this win is positive start to help gain confidence. Now it is time to really work hard with the bye week to improve on the passing game.

gymrat88
JV Team

Post by gymrat88 »

farmer wrote:
gymrat88 wrote:I'm as happy as any Buckeye fan to get back in the win column yesterday, but there is NO WAY that anybody should be happy about winning a game with attempting 4 passes. It’s a TERRIBLE coaching decision by Fickell, or Bollman, or whoever the heck decided to run 4 pass plays, because once again, we don’t allow Braxton to grow at all as a passer. It’s telling our QB that you can’t pass, and our receivers that you can’t catch. THE ONLY WAY THEY ARE EVER GOING TO LEARN HOW IS TO DO IT IN A GAME! We try the same stunts against Wisconsin, and we might have negative points at the end of the game. I laughed out loud when Fickell said coming out of halftime that they didn’t want to put the ball in the air with the wind. The wind must have magically stopped when Illinois had the ball because Scheelhause (sp) threw it 34 times. I’m not saying we should go air raid, but at least make an attempt so you can get your QB some reps, maybe 15-20 attempts a game. His field vision and throwing motion is never going to get better if we don’t pass the ball. Fickell is still not the guy for the job, never has been, never will be, and it wouldn’t hurt my feelings at all if Bollman was fired tomorrow.

After the way the Buckeyes ended the Nebraska game they needed a win. So attempting 4 passes in the game is fine with me. Your playing on the road and it is windy. Miller's passes are not spirals so the wind would effect his passes more. Running the ball kept the Illinois defense from putting the Busckeyes in long distance to go after a sack. It also gave the offensive line something positive after a lot of poor play lately. The only way they are ever going to get better is making positive steps even if they are just small ones in the game. It was not like the wide receivers were geting open anyway. If OSU can run the ball passing 10 times a game is fine. Need to have a good running game so that when we do pass it the defense does not have a team meeting at the QB. Also when they do pass try some short passes to get the QB some confidence instead of always 20 yards down field.

Illinios threw the ball but didn't have a lot of points. They were throwing ints which OSU was not. Illinios was not able to get the crowd into the game much which was in OSU favor. When the crowd gets loud it does effect Miller some. He is just getting use to playing in front of big and very loud crowds.

After this win the players will not have to listen to everyone getting on them for a loss. There will still be questions but this win is positive start to help gain confidence. Now it is time to really work hard with the bye week to improve on the passing game.
You're right, Miller's passes are not tight spirals. The only way he is ever going to learn to throw tight spirals is for the coaching staff to let him throw. The only reason the Buckeyes won that game was 1) Illinois turnovers, 2) Illionois inferior d-line. What happens when they play someone like Wisconsin, whose line is not inferior, and they need to rely more on the passing game? Practice is not the time to start teaching him how to pass, he needs real in-game experience, and if we never give him any then he is going to remain a runner his whole career. That whole attitude of "We're Ohio State and we can just run you over" only works in about 2 out of 10 games. This time, it worked. It sure didn't against Miami. How about Michigan State? What do you think will happen against Wisconsin? Penn State? Michigan? After watching this game, every other team Ohio State plays will put 11 guys in the box, and I can guarantee you that about the only team left on the schedule that won't be able to stop it is Indiana.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

I for one am simply enjoying the victory and refuse to find reasons why they were lucky or how the other team beat themselves.

Different teams will require different game plans, but I thought our offensive game plan was ideal for the situation. OSU was not going to beat themselves by trying to force Miller to do something that he wasn't capable of doing.

The Wisconsin game will be a totally different animal and hopefully the bye week will allow for the defense to get some much needed rest. It will also allow Miller to get healthy and an additional week to formulate a game plan that will consist of some trick plays and more short yardage passing.

In my opinion, the defense will be the major factor in this game. If the offense can keep away from 3 and outs all day and string together a couple long clock burning drives....we will not get blown out. If we try and run it down their throats all game we will get skull drug. Some short screen passes and play action will be the way to get Miller some confidence and keep the Badgers from stacking the box every play.

It is what is......relish the victory over Illinois and enjoy the results. I am realistic, but will be hoping for a shocker in this one. Go Buckeyes!

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

If Miller would have been 1 for 10 during the game then maybe it would have been a QB change to Guiton. This game OSU didn't have to pass and that was not their fault. They were playing just one team not the upcoming teams. Now they have something positive going into the bye week. If it would have been a loss the talk would have made it very tough on everyone. Have to take small steps and continue to build in a positive way.

I agree with Hoggy on what you were saying. To have a chance against Wisconsin we need some trick plays as well as force some turnovers. If we have an effective run game that will only help in the passing game. One thing about running it takes time off the clock and keeps their high powered offense off the field.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Might have been more pass plays called then people think,Miller was going back a lot then taking off,,at this early stage in his career I think he's more inclined to run even when they do call pass plays,,, Troy Smith and Pryor were the same way their freshman years until Tressel drilled it into them to stay put and look for an open receiver instead of depending on the run so much,,probably the same with Miller even though he is such a dangerous runner would hate to put the straps on him too much.

Return to “College Sports”