CFB News - Mack Brown agrees to become UNC Head Coach

Valenth
SEOP

CFB News - Mack Brown agrees to become UNC Head Coach

Post by Valenth »

Good Re-Hire for the Tar Heels... He will help turn them around I'm sure.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: CFB News - Mack Brown agrees to become UNC Head Coach

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

great to hear that . for one of the really good guys out there. and mack knows football.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Mack Brown has the experience (244 wins) and obvious ties to UNC having been the head coach there 20 years ago. He should restore some respect to a program that has had both competitive and NCAA issues.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Omega wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:10 am Mack Brown has the experience (244 wins) and obvious ties to UNC having been the head coach there 20 years ago. He should restore some respect to a program that has had both competitive and NCAA issues.
thanks for answering my question....I thought Mack Brown coached there once before.....was he having some success at UNC when he left for the Texas job??......I thought at the time he took some heat for leaving the program????.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

countywide35 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:15 am
Omega wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:10 am Mack Brown has the experience (244 wins) and obvious ties to UNC having been the head coach there 20 years ago. He should restore some respect to a program that has had both competitive and NCAA issues.
thanks for answering my question....I thought Mack Brown coached there once before.....was he having some success at UNC when he left for the Texas job??......I thought at the time he took some heat for leaving the program????.
Brown was 69-46-1 as Tar Heel head coach.

Honestly he will be a "safe" placeholder coach for the Tar Heels. Seven wins a year and being competitive with the instate P-5 programs will be considered a rousing success for Brown. UNC is never going to compete with the Clemson's of the world in football, but there is a place for good but not great programs in the collegiate landscape. Boy do I miss the 1960's.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

They should've opened the vault for Cutcliffe

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

He came in at UNC had some good years but mainly average years. As it competed with the basketball team. He left for Texas as Texas had been down. He didn't leave Texas in good shape. The National Championship win over shadowed his low points, As coaches of his age come back or to another school have not had real success lately. Maybe bringing some fan support and excitement. Not at the level as before. Spurrier and Lou Holtz did good but not what they had before. Bill Synder at Kansas State had some success when he first came back but now K State trying to figure out a way to get out Synder. Then the bring back that also did well at first then goodbye this season in Petrino in Louisville.

Bringing in Brown as a good guy is one thing but does he have to be the head coach? At his age how many realistic good years does he have left before the process starts again. Without even giving time to see who else they could have got to coach. Another coach who took a program from nothing building it up. Getting funding for improvements then leaving. Coming back later and not having any success is Rady Edsell at UCON.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Omega wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:13 am
countywide35 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:15 am
Brown was 69-46-1 as Tar Heel head coach.

Honestly he will be a "safe" placeholder coach for the Tar Heels. Seven wins a year and being competitive with the instate P-5 programs will be considered a rousing success for Brown. UNC is never going to compete with the Clemson's of the world in football, but there is a place for good but not great programs in the collegiate landscape. Boy do I miss the 1960's.
well said

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
The General
All State

Post by The General »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:47 am great to hear that . for one of the really good guys out there. and mack knows football.
Yes he is!!!!.....Now do whatever it takes to bring Coach Chizik back to Chapel Hill as the D-CoOrd.....And see what the deal is with they buyout of Coach Handsome at TTech...See if it could work out..IF he is interested which I doubt.....To bring Air Raid 6 in and around the Dean Dome....

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

The General wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:10 pm
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:47 am great to hear that . for one of the really good guys out there. and mack knows football.
Yes he is!!!!.....Now do whatever it takes to bring Coach Chizik back to Chapel Hill as the D-CoOrd.....And see what the deal is with they buyout of Coach Handsome at TTech...See if it could work out..IF he is interested which I doubt.....To bring Air Raid 6 in and around the Dean Dome....
I was thinking the exact same thing earlier today!! Getting Kingsbury as an O-Coordinator at Chapel Hill would be a huge get, after an absolutely fantastic hire for the head coaching position.

Return to “College Sports”