Did OSU run it up against Northwestern????

Orestes
S

Re: Did OSU run it up against Northwestern????

Post by Orestes »

Here are some scores from the 1989 season for Houston when Andre Ware was the QB:

9/2 @ Nevada-Las Vegas (4-7) W 69 0
9/23 @ Arizona State (6-4-1) W 36 7
9/30 vs. Temple (1-10) W 65 7
10/7 vs. *Baylor (5-6) W 66 10
10/14 @*Texas A&M (8-4) L 13 17
10/21 vs.*Southern Methodist (2-9) W 95 21
10/28 vs.*Arkansas (10-2) L 39 45
11/4 @ *Texas Christian (4-7) W 55 10
11/11 vs.*Texas (5-6) W 47 9
11/25 vs.*Texas Tech (9-3) W 40 24
12/2 @ *Rice (2-8-1) W 64 0

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

qualified101 wrote:game was over when they ran the fake punt. defense was playing good. it was pretty classless. then throwing on the next possession was definitely bush league, all they had to do was use some running plays to milk the clock. the last td was a total accident but looked bad for the program. for the record i do dislike the buckeyes, but i guess when you can take that much pride in beating nortwestern, your priorities are mixed up anyway. have fun watching the title game on tv.

Who is taking "much pride" in beating NW? You must like reading invisible words.

OHHHHHH... saying OSU has to watch the title game on tv. Like 100+ other teams every year.

Man, you are brilliant. It's hard to comeback with such empty-headed smack talk like you dish out. Please tell me you are still in high school. If not, I see someone who will be living off of the all-giving Obama.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Its the Big Ten double standard. Teams like Florida, USC, and others have been running the score up on teams forever to get style points as the annoucers call it for the BCS, but if the Buckeyes or a Big Ten team does it they call it running up the score. Andre Ware needs to just shut up and call the game and not throw out these tidbits like that. What Ware needs to do is send Ryan Leaf a fruit basket with a card saying thanks for making people forget about how big a bust I was as a pro QB.

coachK
JV Team

Post by coachK »

when I coached football I always run up the score.

1959IRISHA
Waterboy

Post by 1959IRISHA »

there is no dought that every coach out there would like to win every game big .
would you want him working for you if he did't
its part of the game sometimes its a way to get noticed when polls are used !!!!!!!!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Just_A_Fan wrote:I think its kinda runing up the score but you could look at it this way. Its our job to score TD's and its yours to stop me

Exactly.

It wasnt a problem when Florida was beating LSU to death and Tebow was gunning for more points in the closing seconds.

huedawg
JV Team

Post by huedawg »

bruiser wrote:I AGREE WITH YOU BWH. I WAS KIND OF GLAD TRESSEL DID THAT AT THAT TIME. I BELIEVE TRESSEL NEEDS TO GET A LITTLE MORE OF A KILLER INSTINCT. NOT BE SO CONSERVATIVE LIKE HE USUALLY IS.

I PERSONALLY DIDN'T LIKE LISTENING TO WARE. THE DOWNING OF TRESSEL AND RANTING ON AND ON ABOUT THE BLACK COACHES NOT GETTING A FAIR SHAKE. EVEN IF HE FEELS THIS WAY HE DIDN'T NEED TO RANT ON THIS SUBJECT DOING A BROADCAST OF A GAME.

Ditto . Being more on the aggressive side isn't going to hurt!

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

Orestes wrote:Eh. OSU had all of their subs in while NW was still playing starters. On top of that, OSU ran it in on a run up the middle from 20+ yards out. I guess the 2nd teamers shouldn't get the excitement of game reps?

Hmmm... of course a person with a distaste for OSU will post on this board that they should have taken a knee. I would expect nothing less.

ive seen many teams in that situation before TAKE A KNEE... the excuse that you shouldnt ask subs to not try and score doesnt fly.... put them in the game earlier.

the fake punt i have no problem with. if nw is loading up the box with 8 guys i have no problem with throwing the ball but.... not with 16 seconds left in the game...... that just my opinion though.... hope i allowed to have one.

marshallman
Varsity

Post by marshallman »

NW should stop it and not fold up like a lawn chair. Forget the score, did you see TP make an a$$ out of their defense? He is on now, ILLINI needs a payback from last year. Then, comes the main course, Michigan :twisted:

Brick Tamlin
Waterboy

Post by Brick Tamlin »

TP is a beast. End of story. No they didn't run up the score. LETS GO BUCKEYES!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

If Northwestern losses by 2 or 50 it doesnt matter. They still lost.

I know that Tress didnt expect that last TD to happen, but come on, you cant expect a kid that gets limited playing time to fold over at the 1yd line. He wants his time in the spotlight too.

BLITZBURG
Riding the Bench

Post by BLITZBURG »

Far from running up the score.The last td was scored by back ups.I like the fake punt,I figure the coaching staff may have been giving Illinois a little extra to prepare for this week.

USAF_Defender23
Varsity

Post by USAF_Defender23 »

Florida this season:
vs Hawaii 56-10
vs UK 63-5
vs Georgia 49-10
vs Vandy 42-14

USC this season:
vs Virgina 52-7
vs Oregon 44-10
vs Wash. St 69-0
vs Washington 56-0

Texas this season:
3 times thus far 52-10 victories

I don't hear ANYONE complaining about these team "running up" the score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fightingtigers45
S

Post by fightingtigers45 »

USAF23,

Those teams also dont FAKE A PUNT when up 3 scores in the 4th quarter. Florida scored all their points before the fourth against Hawaii. About the same goes for the Kentucky game. Also, Florida scored only 7 points against Vandy in the second half. As for the Georgia game, Tebow was taken out with 10 minutes left and the score at 42-3. Florida's backup QB threw a TD pass.

Also, for the record, I DO NOT think it was a big deal for Ohio State to do what they did. But to compare it to Florida. A team who is PERFECT at scoring in the red zone except for their last drive at Tennessee in which they were very capable of scoring. Instead, they held off. That isnt running up the score. So far this season, Florida has not decided to run it up as much as people like to think. LSU and Miami, yeah. Other than that, no. Their scoring in the fourth quarter indicated they arent so much "running it up", but instead holding onto their big lead they got in the earlier 3 quarters.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

good to see Jimmy putting up big numbers, whether it be faking a punt while up 3 scores or not....fact is for Ohio State to ever get back to the title game we are going to have to blow out everyone or else they will find a way not to put us back in the game.

fightingtigers45
S

Tartanblue wrote:good to see Jimmy putting up big numbers, whether it be faking a punt while up 3 scores or not....fact is for Ohio State to ever get back to the title game we are going to have to blow out everyone or else they will find a way not to put us back in the game.

Not true. Win all your games. If you go undefeated, there is a pretty good chance you make it. Big Ten teams are, and should be, penalized because of their weak conference. Stack it up to any other conference, including the ACC, and it fails. The Big East is the only conference it is probably better than. Win all your games.

OSU could have gotten there possibly if they had held close to USC and then won out. They would have had to pray for Florida to lose to FSU and then beat Bama, but its better than nothing.

Win all your games. Its a 9/10 chance of making it to the big game.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

fightingtigers45 wrote:
Tartanblue wrote:good to see Jimmy putting up big numbers, whether it be faking a punt while up 3 scores or not....fact is for Ohio State to ever get back to the title game we are going to have to blow out everyone or else they will find a way not to put us back in the game.

Not true. Win all your games. If you go undefeated, there is a pretty good chance you make it. Big Ten teams are, and should be, penalized because of their weak conference. Stack it up to any other conference, including the ACC, and it fails. The Big East is the only conference it is probably better than. Win all your games.

OSU could have gotten there possibly if they had held close to USC and then won out. They would have had to pray for Florida to lose to FSU and then beat Bama, but its better than nothing.

Win all your games. Its a 9/10 chance of making it to the big game.

I agree in part but disagree with something else.

As a whole, I would take the Big10 over the ACC and the Pac Ten. The ACC is nothing but a bunch of Iowas and Wisconsins. The Pac10 has USC which is better than any Big10 teams right now, but everyone else in the conference is garbage. Cal beat MSU in a classic, but that was across the country and an SEC fan should know all about its teams going out west. Oregon snuck one out against garbage Purdue. Oregon State was thrashed in Happy Valley. The Pac Ten has also been dominated by the Mountain West (I believe that is the one).

Plus, the league strengths are cyclical. Again, the last ten years the Big10 and SEC are tied in bowl game matchups, while OSU has lost 4 of those games. That means that OSU's Big10 foes are 17-13 against the SEC during the last 10 years. Sorry, but I see no reason for a consistent punishment for being a weak conference.

fightingtigers45
S

SEC teams dont fare well in bowl games that arent BCS games. I dont know why, but they dont.

Even if Penn State had gone undefeated, I dont think they would be a better opponent for a 1-loss Big 12 or SEC Champion. Yes, the SEC is very down this year. But, Id take Bama or a 1-loss Florida team over Penn State. Not because I like Florida, but simply because of the way they have played the last month.

The ACC is a decent conference, and youre right, it is mostly "Iowas and Wisconsins". Pac 10, yeah I can see your case there as well. Their top is better, but their bottom is wayyyyy worse (Washington and Wazzou).

Also, in your 17-13 record, Im sure I could find an outlier SEC team which drops it to being close also (since you choose to take out the best team in the conference over those 10 years).

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

fightingtigers45 wrote:SEC teams dont fare well in bowl games that arent BCS games. I dont know why, but they dont.

Even if Penn State had gone undefeated, I dont think they would be a better opponent for a 1-loss Big 12 or SEC Champion. Yes, the SEC is very down this year. But, Id take Bama or a 1-loss Florida team over Penn State. Not because I like Florida, but simply because of the way they have played the last month.

The ACC is a decent conference, and youre right, it is mostly "Iowas and Wisconsins". Pac 10, yeah I can see your case there as well. Their top is better, but their bottom is wayyyyy worse (Washington and Wazzou).

Also, in your 17-13 record, Im sure I could find an outlier SEC team which drops it to being close also (since you choose to take out the best team in the conference over those 10 years).

I took out OSU to give the OSU perspective of who they are playing against in-conference. The teams OSU beats all year are teams who hold their own and then some against the SEC.

Plus, considering Florida lost to Ole Miss, it shows how difficult it is to go undefeated throughout an entire season, especially when nearly every game is against BCS conference athletes.

fightingtigers45
S

I understand now. I assumed you took out OSU to make the Big Ten look superior. I understand your point now.

Im glad they lost to Ole Miss now. I think it helped them become the team they are now. Also, even with the loss, if they win out, they are in. Period.

Return to “College Sports”