Joe Tiller the CRY BABY!

Peake
SEOP

Joe Tiller the CRY BABY!

Post by Peake »

This was an interesting story I just came across.

In case you have missed the quote by Purdue head coach Joe Tiller on the loss of wide receiver Roy Roundtree to Michigan, here it is:

"If we had an early signing date, you wouldn't have another outfit with a guy in a wizard hat selling snake oil get a guy at the last minute, but that's what happened," Purdue coach JoeTiller said of Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez.
I get Tiller's point here, but it is what this game has become. Obviously, there was interest on Roundtree's part to want to go to Michigan or he wouldn't have made the switch. Did anyone see Rich Rodriguez complaining about schools trying to take his recruits? How about Texas A&M and California trying to get Sam McGuffie to change his mind? Everyone and every team does it, if a kid shows any interest at all he is fair game. One very telling quote I remember being told by a very prominent college coach. "We're gonna keep on that kid until that paper goes through the fax machine on signing day"

College coaching has become a what have you done for me lately world. It truly is dog eat dog. Unless you want to lose or get fired you do what you have to do. Or do on to others as they do unto you.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Hmmm...I don't think this is a big deal. Recruiting is a tough game. The only way Tiller is right, is if something specific happened that upset him.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

What Coach Tiller is saying is the truth. Basketball has an early signing period, so you can take your name off the market before your season starts. Why can't football have the same thing? Also, shows the unethical behavior of several coaches, who still contact kids when they state they have made a committment.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

unethical behavior??? its a verbal commitment, no one is signing anything. Kids are allowed to change their minds and coaches should have the right to help change the mind of those kids.

Several coaches??? How about every coach in the nation. If you think that only a handful of coaches do this than I will sell you some ocean front property here in good ol Chesapeake.

Sam McGuffie was recruited hard by Texas A&M and Cal extremly hard 4 months after his verbal commitment to UM. Brandon Moore was persued by none other than JT himself after he verbaled to UM. JB Fitzgerlad was offered by Rutgers aftr he verbaled, and Urban Myer wanted Daryl Stonum and told him some whoopers about RR not wanting him.

Every single coach does it.

Pol pot
SE

Not all do it.

Post by Pol pot »

You are painting with a large brush. NOT all coaches continue to recurit kids when they have been told to stop, I am going to so and so. Some do, yes, but by a far cry they are the minority.

purpleblood1
JV Team

Post by purpleblood1 »

Sorry, if you have verballed there isn't a coach in the country that doesn't stay right on that kid until he puts ink to papar. Once on that particular schools radar you stay on that radar. Nothing unethical about it, the kid has made a committment to anyone, all he has said is that where I think I'll go. As for what Tiller said he is just throwing out there what everyone in the coaching world has known about Rich since he was at Glenville State.

hdfatboy
Freshman Team

Post by hdfatboy »

I thought that Tiller's argument was that within the Big Ten the coaches had a gentleman's agreement regarding recruiting committed players.

From the Detroit Free Press: "Tiller, heading into his final season at Purdue, said he's concerned about a loss of integrity among Big Ten coaches.

"There has been an unspoken rule that if a guy commits and you've been recruiting him hard, you always call them up and say, 'Are you sure about this?' If he says yes, you back off. '."

Granted, unspoken rules are unenforcable, and Rod is not one to operate within the confines of even written agreements :lol:

Pol pot
SE

Sorry

Post by Pol pot »

I have been down this road with numerous kids on both sides of the street, and not once did I deal with a coach who kept calling when they were told that the kid was off the market. So in my experience, yes they do quit.

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

that's just the thing, a verbal agreement doesnt take him "off the market." i see nothing wrong with this unless what fatboy says it true and there's a gentlemen's agreement against it, otherwise the kid is fair game IMO.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

There is no minority when it comes to recruiting. Every kid is up for grabs untill they sign a piece of paper saying otherwise. Chris Wells after verballing to OSU went to UM to visit.

If there was a gentlemens agreement, than why in the world did Dantonio bring in Kevin Koger, Mike Martin, and Taylor Hill to visit, all of whom were UM verbals and the visits took place about a month ago? Or how about Zook going after Cissoko, as did PSU whom set up a visit with him that he later cancelled.

The big difference here is that when RR came to UM, he had been targeting some of these kids when he was at WVU. The other thing, there has to be an interest by these kids otherwise they wouldn't have choosen UM. Michael Shaw the PSU decommit wanted to go to UM, but the old UM wanted him at DB, a position he didn't want to play, the new one comes in and says hey how about WR or RB, he excepts. There is nothing wrong with any of this. It is a bunch of cry babies whinning because they can't play the game, and they are soon to find themselves no longer in this profession!

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

I feel bad for Tiller, but I also question the level of integrity, not of the coach, but of the recruit.

Do you really want a player in your system that backs out on a commitment.

When the Buckeyes landed the verbal from Michael Brewster from Florida, the coaches didn't stop recruiting him.

In fact, Brewster and his family had to get their phone numbers changes because Urban Myer wouldn't stop calling him. It got to the point of herassment, culminating in Myer stopping Brewster in the hall of his High School, and refusing to let Michael go to class until Brewster gave him his new contact number.

Brewster obliged, but told Myer that no matter how often he called, the answer would still be, "I'm going to be a Buckeye."

That's the type of player I want for my team. I'm sure gald we got him too.

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:In fact, Brewster and his family had to get their phone numbers changes because Urban Myer wouldn't stop calling him. It got to the point of herassment, culminating in Myer stopping Brewster in the hall of his High School, and refusing to let Michael go to class until Brewster gave him his new contact number.

that's just creepy :shock:

beleagle05
JV Team

Post by beleagle05 »

Brutus8907 wrote:
seofan_via_dublin wrote:In fact, Brewster and his family had to get their phone numbers changes because Urban Myer wouldn't stop calling him. It got to the point of herassment, culminating in Myer stopping Brewster in the hall of his High School, and refusing to let Michael go to class until Brewster gave him his new contact number.

that's just creepy :shock:

..I was thinking the exact same thing!

IN TRESSEL WE TRUST

Return to “College Sports”