Josh Jenkins Makes Decision

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

I think it was both a joke and a backhanded slap at RR since RR was recruiting him before he left WVU and then when he went to UM he only sent down Gibson, the DB back coach, to make a visit at Parkersburg.

My guess is, you don't think enough about me to visit me personally like Tressell or Stewart, so here is what I think of your attempts to recruit me with a DB coach.

He made the right pick for himself. The second best pick would have been OSU.

Best of luck the Josh in Morgantown. I will enjoy watching him be a Mountaineer.

BLITZBURG
Riding the Bench

Post by BLITZBURG »

MB-Thanks for the info-wasn't sure if UM recruited him or not,makes sense.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Look, I'm not saying I agree (don't know all of the situation) but this was Michael Brewster's Facebook status this morning...

Josh Jenkins = Fat Scared female dog*...We Only Want first rounders anyways and people that want Rings.

*my edit :)

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

Josh is just a freshman

people need to lay back a bit and see how he devlops

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Very poor decision making to post something like that about somebody else on your facebook, doesn't show alot of maturity on Brewster's part.

I am wondering if Brewster is a little envious of the fact that Josh ran the same 40 time but did better by .36 in the short shuttle and 4.5" better in the vertical leap than Brewster did in San Antonio.

bigtimehitter
All Conference

Post by bigtimehitter »

Mister B wrote:Very poor decision making to post something like that about somebody else on your facebook, doesn't show alot of maturity on Brewster's part.

I am wondering if Brewster is a little envious of the fact that Josh ran the same 40 time but did better by .36 in the short shuttle and 4.5" better in the vertical leap than Brewster did in San Antonio.

what were the stats? prolly a 5.1-5.2 40? what about vertical?

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Mister B wrote:Very poor decision making to post something like that about somebody else on your facebook, doesn't show alot of maturity on Brewster's part.

Brewster was injured. He didn't show up until halfway into the practice week, and didn't play in the game. He is unlikely to even participate physically in spring practice, even though he is enrolled early at OSU. Did Brewster even participate in anything? People from Florida say he is the best O-lineman to come out of their in years. Real high school football is played in that state.

All reviews from San Antonio were very positive regarding OSU recruits. Josh Jenkins struggled mightily FWIW. Out of shape and soft. He may end up being good, but many sources have said that he became distant with OSU once he saw the competition in San Antonio.

This isn't the same football level where Jenkins' rival high school comes into Ohio to get smoked by 60 against a decent Lancaster team. This isn't West Virginia high school football.

I don't care if he does well or not. I have no feelings on him either way, but I will bet you that barring injury, Brewster is the better lineman.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

I am qouting the stats listed on Scouts.com...

Jenkins

6' 3.5" 303#
40 = 5.27
Short shuttle = 4.60
Vertical jump = 28.0"

Brewster

6' 5" 294#
40 = 5.25
Short Shuttle = 4.96
Vertical jump = 23.5"

Not my stats, just what Scouts.com is reporting.

Orestes...

We realize that since Jenkins has signed with WVU and not the beloved Buckeyes, he is now trash in your eyes. Prior to February 6th you were singing Jenkins praises and with him possibly signing with OSU and how OSU would be getting the overall #1 player at each O-line spot.

Now we hear about how soft he is and that he doesn't play real high school football and couldn't make it at OSU. I would expect that type of whining from someone who did not get what they wanted. Football and the competition is all relative in the state that you play in. It is not his fault that Parkersburg South got smoked. I guess if Fed Hock had played Lancaster they would have done better since they were an Ohio school. Poor logic on your part. :oops:

You must not have much faith in coach Tressell's evaluation of players seeing how Tressell himself spent over 8 hrs just the week before February 6th in Parkersburg and even watched a junior high basketball game with Josh as his younger brother played in it. I guess ol' Jim must of had the wool pulled over his eyes on this one. He watched him play in person several times this year and must not of seen what you saw. Maybe he should of sent you instead and ol' Jim could have spent his time elsewhere like studying game film of Illinios and LSU. ;-)

Maybe Brewster will become the better lineman. Only time will tell but lets not sit here and bash a kid just because he did not sign with the school you wanted him too. :roll:

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

I don't think Jenkins will be garbage, or that he wouldn't cut it at OSU. I just think he feared that competition at OSU, and once he realized how it would be, he backed off.

There are way too many sources saying this about him. No one, and I mean no one, is trashing Zordich or Harris who chose other schools. No one is saying those two feared competition. Jenkins struggled at the AA game, and then, just happened to distance himself with OSU.

BTW, I have always felt that Brewster was a better prospect than Jenkins.

I said previously that OSU could end up with the #1 Florida Lineman, #1 Texas Lineman, #1 Ohio Lineman, and the #1 WVA lineman.

Look at those states and please tell me there is no difference.

Jenkins is the only player in WVU's class that is from West Virginia. Obviously, there is very little talent in that state. If there is talent, then WVU is whiffing terribly.

Jenkins wanted to be a big fish in a little pond. That's fine. But honestly, I want guys that don't ever fear competition. He wants to play immediately or at least very soon.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Orestes...

You say Jenkins fears competition that is why he didn't go to OSU, but then you turn around and say he wants to play immediately so he picks WVU. If someone is affaird of competition then why would they want to play immediately?

No matter what school he picks, he will probably be a red-shirt. If he could not compete at OSU, then why did Tressell spend all that time trying to recruit him, even after the AA game? Based on Jim's track record as a coach, he knows talent but I guess he should have consulted with you since you could have just drove over from Stewart and Jim wouldn't have wasted his time. I am sure other coaches from all the division 1 schools must have wasted their time in trying to recruit Jenkins, for that matter, even looking at a West Virginia player is a waste of time.

I think coach Stoops from Oklahoma is wondering how a Moorefield, West Virginia boy won the defensive MVP award in this year's Fiesta Bowl.

I agree, the talent pool in WV is not as deep as Texas, Florida, California or Ohio. It shouldn't be, there are only 1.8 Million people in the state as opposed to the millions more in each one of the other aforementioned states. Talent is realitive to the state that you are in. And yes, even a small state with a small pool of talent can produce top notch athletes. The best receiver in the NFL, Randy Moss, is from West Virginia and if it wasn't for some character issues he never would have been at Marshall, he would have been at Notre Dame.

Obviously, Jenkins did something right to be rated a 5 star recruit and the #1 guard in the country, his family sure doesn't have the money to buy that type of rating. All the division 1 schools came knocking on his door, not the other way around.

Yes, I can see him distanting himself away from OSU or any other school after he had made his mind up to attend another school, isn't that what you are supposed to do... "thank you for your interest in me but I have decided to toss my hat in another ring at another school?"

Maybe Jenkins did not blow away anybody at the AA game, but few players do. Linemen do not get the focus the other position players get. He still came out of the AA game as a 5 star recruit. If he didn't, then all the division 1 coaches would not have been trying to sign him up until the night before February 6th, this includes Ohio State, Michigan, Florida State and Notre Dame, just to name a few of the top football schools that you may of heard of that were recruiting Josh after the AA game.

Not everybody in this world wants to play at Ohio State and there are just some OSU fans that cannot understand that. I think Brewster's problem with Jenkins was that Brewster thought that he could deliver him to Tressell. I am sure Tressell will not be wanting his players to post locker room material on their MySpace or Facebook pages and my guess is that Jim will cover stuff like that in his freshmen player's orientation.

I wish all the players well and I hope each player is happy with their choices but I am not going to knock someone for their decision even if I don't like it, nor am I going to start backpedaling on my thoughts of that person when they don't pick my school to play football at.

hdfatboy
Freshman Team

Post by hdfatboy »

Just to add to the argument about talent pool in WV - Mister B is right. With only 1.8 million people WV doesn't have the numbers to support a lot of Division 1 prospects. In addition, the bulk of the high schools programs in this state are smaller schools...again due to population...which makes it harder for kids coming out to be considered D 1 players. Per capita we probably have as many D 1 prospects as most states.

Under Rich Rod...it was not common practice to make full ride offers to in-state players. He could get them to walk-on here because A) the school is pretty inexpensive to begin with and B) given the emphasis on increasing the number of native West Virginians attending college, many qualified for other scholarships that do not impact the total number of football scholarships available. Don Nehlen used a similar philosophy.

There are 5 or 6 in-state players on the current roster that turned down D 1 offers to other schools to walk-on at WVU.

This has cost WV some of the better in-state players in the past. But not as many as you'd think. Our 2 local high schools usually send a few kids to D 1 schools (although they probably won't this year) on scholarships.

There are currently 21 in state players on the WVU roster and the starting defense featured 2 linebackers from WV (Magro and Williams).

Coach Stewart plans on changing this and will emphasize in-state recruiting as any flagship university should.

As for sources saying Jenkins is soft - they may be right, he didn't face the same competition level each week in high school that other players may (or may not) have faced. That said, I think that he is getting some unfair treatment because he chose to go to what is perceived to be a "lesser" program. Given the bias against the Big East and WVU in particular, people have to make excuses for why a player would jilt a Big Ten school for WVU. When you lose a Zordich to PSU you don't have to trash him because he chose another Big Ten school - which automatically elevates the program's status in the eyes of many OSU fans.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

hdfatboy...

Articulate yourself well for a Mountaineer. ;-)

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

What I found funny about this whole thing is that Jenkins brother is going to be a GA.....LOL.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

God forbid Brewster be upset. He is a premadonna who should focus on himself and his career and no one elses.

As far as Jenkins is concerned, I think the biggest reason for him choosing WVU over OSU is the fact he could play guard or tackle there, and OSU wanted him at center.

Jenkins is the real deal. I saw him play 4 times over two years, and he was unblockable at DT, and impassable at OT. I don't proclaim to be an expert, but I do know a little something, and the kid can play. I watched him matchup with 6'5, 260, Andrew Brewer who is going to Purdue, and Jenkins handled him easily. He has great foot work, gets good leverage, and will not be beat to the corner. He is not a center, and I understand fully why he is going to WVU. JB Shugarts wasn't real impressive I thought either in the AA game. If I had my pick I would take Jenkins over SHugarts. I haven't seen Brewster play, but I will bet he is not head and shoulders above Jenkins.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

peake...

I have to agree that one of the big reasons was the fact that OSU wanted him as a center while WVU said that he would be given the shot at guard or tackle. He even said this in a recent interview.

bigtimehitter
All Conference

Post by bigtimehitter »

Pol Pot wrote:What I found funny about this whole thing is that Jenkins brother is going to be a GA.....LOL.

what?

beleagle05
JV Team

Post by beleagle05 »

bigtimehitter wrote:
Pol Pot wrote:What I found funny about this whole thing is that Jenkins brother is going to be a GA.....LOL.

what?

I was just wondering the same thing...

IN TRESSEL WE TRUST
Pol pot
SE

Jenkins

Post by Pol pot »

Josh Jenkins brother (Paul Johnson) was named as a Graduate Assistant Football coach at WVU right before signing day.

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

Josh has alot to look foward to in WV

the defense is great he has a nice back to block for and the big east is finally good enough to be an elite conference

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

If I am not mistaken, graduate asst coaches are unpaid. Ask RR how much money he got to be a grad. asst coach for Don Nehlen after he graduated - zero. You do it for the experience and to add it to your resume.

Return to “College Sports”