S

Buckeyes Arrive in New Orleans Today

Post by ballparent »

Go Bucks!!!!! O - H
Buckeyes all business on brief trip to New Orleans
Wednesday, January 2, 2008 3:05 AM
By Ken Gordon

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

No offense to the people of New Orleans, but Ohio State players don't have the time or inclination this week to check out the still-ravaged city.

The Buckeyes arrive in New Orleans today with a different outlook on their national championship game trip than when they traveled to Arizona last year.

Ohio State spent 10 days in the desert, most of it relaxing in the posh Scottsdale Princess resort that many players were familiar with from previous trips. Former center Doug Datish was looking forward to "those little javelina pigs" that scampered freely around the Princess' villa-like grounds.

A 41-14 loss to Florida might have led to some changes in the approach this year.

This time, the Buckeyes have just five days on site before the game Monday against Louisiana State in the Superdome. Their schedule does not include sightseeing or community-service time, just practice, meetings and a curfew, which is set by the seniors and likely will be followed closely by intensely focused players.

"We're only there a short time, so I think it will probably be very structured," coach Jim Tressel said.

Tressel said he wanted the team to be able to experience New Orleans, calling it a city that "grabbed the emotion of the whole country as it battled through its adversity" of Hurricane Katrina, which hit in August 2005 and wiped out large swaths of neighborhoods.

The players, though, don't have tourism high on their list.

"I've never been to New Orleans, and yeah, I do want to get around and see some things," cornerback Malcolm Jenkins said. "But then again, it is a business trip, too. So if our schedule allows us, then definitely, but if not, we have business to take care of."

Other than maybe wandering the French Quarter in the evenings, the only free time players will have is today. They are on their own to arrive in town and have no team function until late afternoon.

Several players said they hoped to at least get a quick glimpse at the city today.

"I'd like to see what it looks like," running back Maurice Wells said. "I'll take a little time and do a little sightseeing."

Despite the tight schedule for players, Ohio State is making sure it doesn't leave without doing something for the city.

On Sunday, a group of about 150 people, including coaches' wives and university employees and officials, will spend several hours rebuilding two youth baseball fields that remain in disrepair.

If time permits, they also will distribute blankets and other supplies to homeless shelters.

That will make up for the players, who sympathize with the city's plight but who will stay focused on the championship game.

"A national championship is all that's weighing on my mind," receiver Brian Hartline said. "When it comes down to it, it's a business trip, and when I go down there, it's just LSU."

kgordon@dispatch.com

buckeye21
JV Team

Re: Buckeyes Arrive in New Orleans Today

Post by buckeye21 »

ballparent wrote:Go Bucks!!!!! O - H

I-O

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

I think that article bodes well for Ohio State. They sound focused and ready to play unlike last year.

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

The BUCKS are ready....if Whisky can play with Tenn. and Meatchicken can beat Tebow and company....THEN THE BUCKEYES SHALL PREVAIL!!

O - H - I - O

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

Tressel & Co. continue to arrive in New Orleans
'It is going to be great for our young people,' coach says
By Tim May
Tressel & Co. continue to arrive in New Orleans

Wednesday, January 2, 2008
NEW ORLEANS -- Ohio State football coach Jim Tressel arrived here at midday fired up about the coming days that will be capped with his top-ranked team taking on No.2 LSU for the national championship Monday night in the Superdome.

"It is sure exciting, as you’ve had a chance to watch (bowl games) these past few days, it just reminds you how extraordinary the bowl system is," Tressel said. "Then to feel the feeling of New Orleans as we landed here and to see how excited (the people) are. They just finished a successful Sugar Bowl. Now they have the chance to host the title game -- they are so excited about the progress that has been made (in rebuilding the city), and the people who have pitched in to make a difference in this community.

"It is going to be great for our young people to have a chance to experience this and see this, the city they’ve read so much about. So we’re excited to get to work."

The Buckeyes will have their first mandatory get-together tonight, then hit the practice field for the first time, at Tulane University, on Thursday morning. LSU will practice in the Superdome.

The OSU players were given the option to take commercial flights to New Orleans rather than be on the official school charter, because they are allowed to pocket the difference between a full, nonrefundable coach fare, about $650, and any bargain fare they might have found. Most flew out Tuesday. Because of bad weather, though, some had connection problems in Chicago and elsewhere, Tressel said. But he expected them all to be on the premises of the team hotel by this evening.

As for their attitude about playing in a second straight national title game after getting waxed by Florida 41-14 in it a year ago, Tressel said he sensed an eagerness at the end of their last practice in Columbus.

"They were champing at the bit on Monday morning, because it’s something about your football clock goes off in your head around January 1st," he said. "It’s time to play, and they are anxious to play."

He said that other than reserve defensive back Eugene Clifford’s suspension from the game, he expects all other healthy players to be available.

tmay@dispatch.com

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

took em awhile all that bad weather

Return to “College Sports”