Welcome to Michigan Rich!

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

maybe the $$$$...but look at all West Virginia is losing after this football season..right now it's sort of hard to really say why he left.......no one except those directly involved will know the exact reason why he left.

espn or btn (can't remember which one) was saying he was that increasing odds with the ad in morgantown.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

By Ivan Maisel
ESPN.com
We are all engorged with the parity college football served up every week this fall. But no matter how many Missouris and West Virginias threaten to stage a coup d'etat in this sport, there will always be royalty. Think of the schools whose tradition is immediately recognizable across the nation: USC, Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, et al.

this is a good statement :!: :!:
the funny thing is ........ what traditional power is not being included in the list of royalty anymore :lol: :lol: :lol:

anyone know :?:

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

The first thing that strikes me about this hire is how it now brings some top recruits who weren't considering Michigan now into direct competition with OSU (thinking of Pryor and Jenkins.) Losing them to non-conference teams would hurt; losing them to Michigan would hurt more.

Don't know much about Rodriguez or his schemes. Sure, WVU lost to Pitt when thery were the heavy favorite. That just showed that, offensively, they were a one-man team, and when White went down, it left no threat opposite Slaton. Michigan is much more of a national power, both on the field and in recruiting. Rodriguez will be able to be more of a player in the recruiting game.

Hopefully, Rodriguez will coach the Wolverines -vs- the Buckeyes like Coop did the Buckeyes -vs- the Wolverines.

86grad
Riding the Bench

Post by 86grad »

Good move for Michigan. RR is very creative and has gutts to do the unthinkable at times. Lloyd was more a traditionalist, nothing new or creative, and very predictable. Curious to see how Jim adjust to Rich's style of ball with some of those big uglies up north. If he adjust and prepares for Rich like he did against Ron at Illinois, God help us.

Boy, if you're a WVU fan, you just have feel like Michigans stepping stool. Got their basketball coach and now their football coach.

Weis-guys
JV Team

Post by Weis-guys »

I'm pretty interested to see how this one goes. Rich Rod did a great job with the spread offense at WVU and will obviously bring it with him. If he can bring the same kind of talent and speed to run it at Michigan, I think he'll give many (if not all) Big 10 teams fits defensively. No one really runs an offense similar to it (Illinois might be the closest to it).

I don't think he'll use that offense much this upcoming season, but starting his 2nd season he will.

However, he'd better find a new defensive scheme, that 3-5 defense won't work well against the Big 10 teams, who love to run power.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

RR's record first 3 seasons: 20-17. RR's record last 4 seasons: 40-9

Those last four seasons were when Miami, VT and BC were no longer in the Big East. Coincidental to be sure :-D

Oh God, I just heard RichRod on the radio say that, "I am not thinking about Ohio State. Every game is equally important." John Cooper flashbacks....John Cooper flashbacks...please.....go away....the pain....aahhhhhhhhhhh

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

ALl this talk about Recruting is actually stupid

James McKnight last year was floridia all the way then on national signing day the kid puts up the floridia hat then puts on the USC hat

its their descion but McGuffie is a lock for michigan The kid knows nothing stands in his way of full playing time

on some other recruitng notes

Josh jenkins was told to be quiet about his decsion until the All american game (in the paper today)

Pryor might go to Michigan becasue of Mallet and his attitude

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

I am a fan of both OSU and WVU. But is Michigan really happy with their 3rd choice as coach? Miles and Schaino both turned them down. As Rod said,"this all happened very quickly." So quickly, that Michigan never asked for permission from WVU to talk to him.

Will the Michigan faithful give him the time to get the players he needs? Remember, he was 3-8 his first season at WVU. His first 4 seasons his record was 28-21 overall and 17-10 in the Big East and 0-3 in bowl games. Can the Michigan fans weather the storm of a record like this to startout with?

Yes, he attracks atheltic players, but they are players that other schools did not want or take a chance on. Nobody wanted White as a QB, Owen Schmitt, forget it, Rod didn't go to him, Owen came to Rod. Rod's saving grace as a coach is to take a chance on a kid nobody wants. Loyalty, but where is that now? The players are thankful for what he did for them, but what about the players that have several years left to go at WVU like Devine? You have to practice what you preach and believe me, in the cut throat world of college football, the other teams will bring up the fact he lied to his recurits about what was waiting for them at WVU and what will be waiting for them at Michigan. As more colleges go to the spread option, there will be less of a pool of players for Rod to draw from.

Ron Zook is ahead of him at Illinois in bringing the spread to the Big Ten and Ron has a more direct pipe line to the athletic players in Florida. It will take time to win with the spread at Michigan because it is so different then what they are geared to play now. I don't think the Michigan fans will wait for results, they want to win now like Florida did with Urban Meyer. Meyer went to a place that was more ready for what he ran then what Michigan is for Rod.

Frankly, the WVU fans will move on. Yes, the program is better now than 2000 but I think WVU will get a good coach. I think it will be one of the Bowdens. If it is Tommy, then they will wait until after the bowl games are over.

Rod said that his relationship within the athletic department was going down hill. How? They gave him everything he wanted, money and bonuses for him and his staff, upgraded facilities to his own personal design, a new indoor practice facility that is top-notch and this spring what he really said he wanted, a new student-athlete learning center. WVU bent over backwards to give Rod what he wanted. I just wish he would man up and tell the truth, the Michigan name was just too much for him to turn down. Don't bad mouth the folks at WVU for everything they gave him, which is what he wanted.

I wish him well at Michigan but I don't think they will give him the time to perform the way they want. He had all the time in the world at WVU away from the national spotlight to get WVU up to speed. And yes, I think OSU is favored over Michigan next year with or without Rod. Tressel is a quick study and after the Illinois game he will get better against the spread. The one knock I have against Rod is that he does what he does and if it doesn't work, we keep doing it - like the Pitt game - 8 men in the box the entire game and WVU never adjusted to take Pitt out of it. WVU wins that game if they adjusted in my opinion, with or without White at QB. Hey, they scored their only touchdown of the game with White on the sidelines and the backup Brown at the helm.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

In several different sites, people who are upset that Rodriguez left WVU have talked about loyalty, and not deceiving the school and the players about his intentions. Until the NCAA steps in and does something about coaches bolting, the money will still do the talking, and the NCAA loves the money. I find it interesting that if a Div. 1 player transfers to a Div. 1 school, he sits out a year. I think coaches should have the same restrictions, or the players should be able to transfer to whatever school they want and not sit out, unless they follow the coach. Then we'd really see if loyalty is still a part of college athletics.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Everyone needs to go read his presser quotes. The guy can coach QB's who aren't just run first. At Tulane Shaune King was a pass first run when he had to QB. Mallet will be fine in this system, it is the same one he ran in hs. McGuffie will love this offense as well, and the big thing is Michigan will bring in WR that WVU never have had. Next year Michigan will be loaded again at WR, you think RR is going to try to run the exact same system he ran at WVU with this team, no. He will adapt the system to fit his players like any good coach does.

Here's another thing, we are talking about Michigan here, top 10 recruiting classes in the country year in and out. RR will have a much easier time bringing in big time talent here than at WVU.

Michigan will not be rebuilding either, they have won 8 games this season, they don't need rebuilt. A new scheme will be implimented sure, but this is Michigan!

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Those top 10 recuriting classes year in and year out are really paying off for the Maize and Blue, right? They helped them beat Appy State, right? Oregon, right? Ohio State the last 4 years, right?

The man can coach college QBs. He may be ahead of the time and could be bringing the next new wave into division 1 football and maybe into the pros, but, most of his players up until now, are not the durable type that can withstand the punishment of the NFL.

mikepike...Good post, we make a kid sit out but not the coach. I view a coaches contract just like when a player signs on for 4 years at a school. If you want to transfer to another school, sit out. It should be the same for coaches if they are going to another school if they are still under contract. Money is killing the amature status of college sports.

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

Mister B wrote:Those top 10 recuriting classes year in and year out are really paying off for the Maize and Blue, right? They helped them beat Appy State, right? Oregon, right? Ohio State the last 4 years, right?

The man can coach college QBs. He may be ahead of the time and could be bringing the next new wave into division 1 football and maybe into the pros, but, most of his players up until now, are not the durable type that can withstand the punishment of the NFL.

mikepike...Good post, we make a kid sit out but not the coach. I view a coaches contract just like when a player signs on for 4 years at a school. If you want to transfer to another school, sit out. It should be the same for coaches if they are going to another school if they are still under contract. Money is killing the amature status of college sports.
ANother PRIME EXAMPLE OF AN OSU FAN THAT DOESNT KNOW WHAT TO SAY SO THEY BRING UP THE APPY STATE GAME

dude Oregon won because they should have Dixon was still with the team

black_and_orange
Riding the Bench

Post by black_and_orange »

Mister B wrote:Tressel is a quick study and after the Illinois game he will get better against the spread.

The 9-10 months between the Florida game and the Illinois were not enough to study up and get better against the spread?

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

black_and_orange wrote:
Mister B wrote:Tressel is a quick study and after the Illinois game he will get better against the spread.

The 9-10 months between the Florida game and the Illinois were not enough to study up and get better against the spread?

You realize that Purdue runs the spread, as does Northwestern, right? What Illinois runs is called the read-option. Florida did not run the read option. Leak did not run. Only on occasion did Tebow enter the game and run a QB draw, but was still not the read option at that time.

People keep talking about the spread and OSU, but OSU has defended the spread just fine, except the one Florida game. What WVU and Illinois ran is the read option offense.

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

There are talks of mallet not liking the spread

well thats stupid he ran it in high school you could tell because his first snap in college was under center and he fumbled it

Mallet will work but Pryor will be good with it

black_and_orange
Riding the Bench

Post by black_and_orange »

Orestes wrote:
black_and_orange wrote:

You realize that Purdue runs the spread, as does Northwestern, right? What Illinois runs is called the read-option. Florida did not run the read option. Leak did not run. Only on occasion did Tebow enter the game and run a QB draw, but was still not the read option at that time.

People keep talking about the spread and OSU, but OSU has defended the spread just fine, except the one Florida game. What WVU and Illinois ran is the read option offense.

I am not the one who said they run the spread. I know a little bit about the spread offense and the read option WVU offense thank you.

ohioguy
Waterboy

Post by ohioguy »

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

hey i know alot about the spread becasue marietta runs the same spread as WVU

mvlnewlex
All Conference

Post by mvlnewlex »

[quote="Orestes"]RR's record first 3 seasons: 20-17. RR's record last 4 seasons: 40-9

Those last four seasons were when Miami, VT and BC were no longer in the Big East. Coincidental to be sure :-D

Oh God, I just heard RichRod on the radio say that, "I am not thinking about Ohio State. Every game is equally important." John Cooper flashbacks....John Cooper flashbacks...please.....go away....the pain....aahhhhhhhhhhh[/quote]

Bad Karma.

I am sure you remember what Jim Tressel said about the rivalry game after he was hired. ;-)

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

BigMcCauley55...

So what is the excuse for the Top Ten recruiting against Appy State and Ohio State, you had one for Oregon, Dixon. Face it, having all the Parade All-Americans you want and being ranked in the top ten by Scouts.com doesn't give you a guarantee of a win, look at Notre Dame, it stills boils down to coaching and Mike Hart is still 0-4 against the Buckeyes. And please, I am a fan of both WVU and OSU.

Must not know enough about that offense as Marietta pretty much sucked at that offense didn't they? Maybe Rich Rod will let you into the circle of trust in Ann Arbor to help your Tigers out next year.

newlexpanthers...

I whinced when I heard Rich Rod say the same thing about the OSU game when I watched the press conference live. I also liked his look when he repeated what one of the WVU fans told him at the airport when he left Morgantown,.."better not go 3-8 your first year there either..."

Return to “College Sports”