Who's Deserving?

Who should OSU play in the title game?

Total votes: 0

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Who's Deserving?

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

What I've heard all week is how OSU isn't deserving of being in a National Title Game. The sole reason for this logic is their Strength of schedule, and how they "called in wins" when making the schedule.

Well, it looks like LSU will be the team we get to play in the title game, and that makes me happy.

Let's apply the same "called in wins" logic to the other 5 teams that could play the Buckeyes and see just who may be deserving of the shot.

LSU:
Ranked #2 in AP and coaches poll, 2 losses.
Lost to #24 ranked team, and an unranked team.
Non-Conference schedule:
#9 Virginia Tech
Middle Tenn St.
Tulane
Louisiana Tech
Looks to me like they "called in" 3 victories.

Oklahoma:
Ranked #3 in AP and coaches poll, 2 losses.
Both loses were to unranked opponets
Non-Conference schedule:
North Texas
Miami
Utah St
Tulsa
Miami was a good team when the game was scheduled, but they had 4
"gimmie" games in Non-Conference play.

Georgia
Ranked #4 in AP and Coaches, 2 losses.
Lost at home to unranked South Carolina, lost by 21 to Tenn.
Non-Conference schedule:
OK St
Western Carolina
Troy
Ga Tech
Again, 3 games they knew they should win.

Virginia Tech
Ranked #5 in AP and Coaches, 2 losses
Lost to LSU in week 2, lost to BC then avenged loss to BC.
Both losses were to top 15 teams.
Non-Conference Schedule:
Eastern Carolina
Ohio U
LSU
William and Mary
They lost the game they should have, and scheduled three cupcakes.

USC
Ranked #6 in AP and Coaches, 2 losses
Lost to Oregon (when Dixon was still healthy), lost to 41 point underdog at home Stanford.
Non-Conference Schedule:
Idaho
Nebraska
Notre Dame
When the Nebraska game was scheduled Nebraska was 9-3 and in the Big 12 title game. Still, with Notre Dame's performance this year they had 3 gimmie games.

So, with all that in mind. Everyone in the top six, including OSU scheduled wins for their Non-Conference schedule. OSU won all of theirs, and lost to the #13 team in the country.

If one of those teams behind the Buckeyes feel like they got the shaft, here is a suggestion...

...Win Your Games!!!

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

I picked LSU

I think playing an SEC team, in their Home State,
in the first Post Katrina Title game to be held in New Orleans,
is the best oportunity for the Buckeyes to get the respect
back that they lost last year.

Go Bucks!!!

USAF_Defender23
Varsity

Post by USAF_Defender23 »

I want Oklahoma for the title...but it will be nice to beat LSU on their home field.

RamRodBulldogs44
Varsity

Post by RamRodBulldogs44 »

I picked Va Tech. I know that they lost to LSU in week 2, but in my opinion that doesn't mean anything anymore in this season. Just look at what has happened this season.

FSUfly#13
Varsity

Post by FSUfly#13 »

Forget out of conference schedule, anytime you play Tennessee, Vanderbuilt, Kentucky, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Arkansas, and South Carolina every year and are successful, that is a deserving team.

Ohio State does not deserve it, period! Congratulations you beat Michigan once again..so did Appy! Nothing to brag about. The absolute next best team in the Big 10 that can compete week after week with probably any Top 25 team would be Illinois. Who lost to Illinois?? Ohio State! Penn State is awful, Michigan is terrible, like I said since week 1 Wisconsin is OVERRATED..

Ohio State is in it, nothing anyone can do about it..do they deserve it..NO! Not this year, their conference was way too WEAK. They will probably play LSU, but I think it should be LSU and Either Oklahoma or VT..I don't think Georgia should be in it, just because they didn't even win their conference.

FSUfly#13
Varsity

Post by FSUfly#13 »

I also know I said in another topic that VT is playing better than LSU..LSU has too many close calls also..but look at the conference

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

I say Va Tech because they're the only team NEAR THE TOP who won their conference. LSU and Oklahoma both won their conference but they both lost games late in the season and therefore dropped entirely too far to jump to #2 at this point. personally, i dont think if they won their conference or not should have an effect but i know the voters would never vote Georgia or Kansas in without them being the champs of their conference and like i said before LSU and Oklahoma lost late and fell too far, that leaves VT.

i dont care who we play as lont as it isnt LSU, it would be no different from a home game for them putting the buckeyes at a huge disadvantage before the game even kicks off. plus they had their chances to get in and they blew it not once, but twice. give somebody else a chance for god's sake.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

FSUfly#13 wrote:Forget out of conference schedule, anytime you play Tennessee, Vanderbuilt, Kentucky, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Arkansas, and South Carolina every year and are successful, that is a deserving team.

I would love to have Vanderbuilt, Kentucky, Alabama, Arkansas, and South Carolina on my schedule every year.

If you want to be a top 10 team, you should be successful against those schools.

As for Florida, Georgia, and Tennesse. Those would be the tough ones, but LSU didn't play Georgia this year, so I guess we can't tell who would be the better team.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Brutus8907 wrote:i dont care who we play as lont as it isnt LSU, it would be no different from a home game for them putting the buckeyes at a huge disadvantage before the game even kicks off..

That reason is exactly why I want it to be LSU in the title game.

If the Buckeyes are not deserving to be there, then they are going to lose to whomever they play in the game.

But, if they are going to win the game, I want it to be against a Home Town SEC power house. And I want it to be in the heart and soul of SEC country.

Then the Buckeyes can stand on the mountain and show everyone that they are #1, and I don't mind which finger they do it with!

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

but if the buckeyes would happen to lose that game, we wouldnt hear the end of it from SEC fans, not to mention the heartbreak of losing in the NT game 2 years straight. i'm not interested in proving any points, i just want that crystal football in Columbus on the morning of Janurary 8th

USAF_Defender23
Varsity

Post by USAF_Defender23 »

I live in NW Florida the heart of SEC country and I would nothing more than to have my Buckeyes put a foot in all the mouths of these SEC fans once and for all.

Let's compare!

Ohio St was beaten by Illinois-Rose Bowl
LSU was beaten by UK-Music City Bowl and Arkansas-Cotton Bowl

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

NOT LSU

anyone but them

I say Oklahoma they destroyed Mizz in the champ game when it was #1 vs #9

so Go sooners (right osu fans ;-) )

buckeye21
JV Team

Post by buckeye21 »

FSUfly#13 wrote:I think it should be LSU and Either Oklahoma or VT.

Oklahoma lost to an unranked 6-6 Colorado team and an unranked one-dimensional Texas Tech team. So how would they deserve it over Ohio State who lost to the 13th ranked Illini by 7 points? VT got hammered by LSU so why would we want to see that again and they also lost to a vastly overrated Boston College team, who if the Buckeyes didn't beat by at least two touchdowns then I'd by thoroughly shocked and disappointed. I agree that the Big Ten is down but it is not as terrible as everyone makes it out to be. They will have 8 teams in bowl games which will probably be the amount the almighty SEC will have as well. And like I said on a previous thread just because the Big Ten is down it doesn't mean that the Buckeyes are down. Besides the Illinois game they basically dominated every Big Ten opponent. If a team like Oklahoma had played OSU's schedule and lost one game then you wouldn't hear anyone bashing them as much. The dark cloud from last years National Championship beatdown is still over this years Ohio State team and it's completely unfair to this '07 team.

Return to “College Sports”