Blown Call

The_Legend_of_Northwest
All State

Blown Call

Post by The_Legend_of_Northwest »

Man that call at 1st in the Tigers/Indians game was pathetic to say the least. Way to blow baseball history ump.

superblue
All Conference

Re: Blown Call

Post by superblue »

Did you notice the reaction of the Indians player after the call was made...... If he were on the honor system he would have called himself out..... How pathetic a call.....

Der_Kommissar1968
JV Team

Post by Der_Kommissar1968 »

I, along with anyone else who saw that call, am completely dumbfounded. A clear blown call like that couldn't have happened to a nicer kid than Galarraga - he was a class act all the way. Jim Joyce spoke to Galarraga after the game and apologized for robbing him of making history. Too little, too late. Joyce is scheduled to call tomorrow's game from behind the plate. I'm willing the bet they have to find a replacement for him tomorrow - I just don't see how he'll be in any shape to call a game after what happened tonight. On some level, you have to feel bad for him too.

The_Legend_of_Northwest
All State

gahs4ever wrote:What happened?

Armando Galarraga had a perfect game with 2 outs in the 9th inning. And there was a ground ball to Miguel Cabrera who makes the tough play and gets the runner out by a good half a step. The ump called the runner safe and destroyed history.

pan-man
Freshman Team

Post by pan-man »

I really think that the MLB should give him that last one and let him have the perfect game

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

One word.....REPLAY! When is baseball going to get its head out of its arse and join the 21st century?

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

I feel really bad for both participants, but hey thats the way it goes sometimes.

The_Legend_of_Northwest
All State

Bud Selig is looking into possibly changing the call to out. I definately think this should be written in history. I mean there is no way to argue against changing it since the game would have been over if the right call is made.

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

The right thing to do !!! He was out big time.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I hate to say it, but I don't think they should reverse the call. That opens the door for a huge mess!

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

I dont think Selig can change the call. If you do that open the door for other calls in history to be changed. I mean where do you stop do you go back and change the calls in last years ALCS or go back to the 80"s and change calls there because if you can change this call you will get an uproar from fans and players to change other calls.
The guy made a mistake in a judgement call leave it at that and go forward.

The_Legend_of_Northwest
All State

Selig said he will not change the call but will look into expanding replay.

The_Legend_of_Northwest
All State

Since 100% of fans know he threw a perfect game, just put it in the record books anyway. What harm could come from that?

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

I am not in favor of adding any more instant replays to baseball. Reviewing a homerun is enough.

The human element is part of baseball. MLB umps are the best in all of professional sports, even when they blow it big time like last night.

A class act tonight at the Tigers game by the Detroit coaches, players and their fans. Give Galaraga alot of credit. If anyone should be upset, it is he. He is forgiving of the mistake so the matter is settled. No reversal from the Commish is needed. Everyone knows it was a perfect game, including the ump.

Return to “Pro Sports”