Pete Rose...YOUR THOUGHTS?

Who would you rather have in the Hall of Fame?

Total votes: 0

RamRodBulldogs44
Varsity

Post by RamRodBulldogs44 »

Pete was the definition of how a player should play on the field! I hope he gets to see the day he's put in it.

But, I would also like to see Barry Larkin in it! Favorite Reds player of all time for me!

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Barry Barry Barry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
I went to his last game in Cincy. It was sad. I hope the Reds can bring him home from the Nats soon. :-D

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
gh123
JV Team

Post by gh123 »

Orange and Brown wrote:Barry Barry Barry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
I went to his last game in Cincy. It was sad. I hope the Reds can bring him home from the Nats soon. :-D

I shouldve expected this out of you O&B...die hard reds fan. Someone says Barry--you think Larkin, not Bonds....which is something I wish EVERYONE did. hahaha

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

When I was a kid I met Chris Sabo, Barry Larkin and Hal Morris after a game. I was so excited that I could hardly talk to them. They let us take pictures, they signed our cards, ghloves and anything else we had. It was great. Hal Morris gave me a bat. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

My grandparents go to Florida every year in the winter and they used to stay in the same city as the reds did spring training. they've told me stories of meeting and talking with the griffey family when Griffey Sr. played for the reds and Griffey Jr. (a little kid at the time) would be running around the field. i thought it was the coolest thing i'd ever heard.

BLITZBURG
Riding the Bench

Post by BLITZBURG »

PETE ROSE WITHOUT A DOUBT SHOULD BE INDUCTED AND REINSTATED,WOULD BE A GOOD MOVE FOR MLB.MY VOTE GOES TO PETE.

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

gahs4ever wrote:
Pete Rose and here's why...

1. Rose never bet against his own team and there's no evidence to say otherwise

2. The HOF is to recognize accomplishments ON the field and shouldnt be effected by mistakes made OFF of it.

3. as already mentioned...betting in no way, shape or form could have possibly helped Rose do what he did.

I am as big a Reds fan as I know, and I go way back to all the YMCA trips we used to take several times a year from Chillicothe to Crosley Field in the early-mid 50s.

I love Pete Rose as a player, and on accomplishments on the field alone, he is tops IMO of every other HOF player currently enshrined.

Unfortunately what he did violated a known rule that is published in every major league clubhouse. He did so knowingly and wantonly, and then when confronted with it, he denied it for how many years. He knew the consequences, and he knew he would be banned at the time he signed the agreement.

Whether he might ever have been reinstated is subject to conjecture, but I dont think there is any doubt that his refusal to come clean or show any regret or remorse for so long has resulted in his continued ban.

That brings about a question. Are there any other players who have been banned from baseball enshrined in Cooperstown. If so, then by all means Pete should be allowed to join them. If not, then I fail to see anything he has done before his banishment or since that suggests that it should be overturned. For that reason alone, as much as I wish Pete was in the HOF, I could never vote for him if I had a vote.

Bonds on the other hand, if I understand things right, violated no rules of baseball at the time, whether he used steroids or not. If I am wrong in that assumption, I apologize. His crime, if convicted, will not be whether he used steroids, but whether he lied to Congress, which is a criminal offense if convicted.

McGuire also used steroids I believe. He wasnt forthcoming in his testimony before Congress, but I dont believe he outright lied, and thus as far as I know isnt facing charges. For that reason he is eligible for the HOF, although I am sure many voters are holding the steroid thing over him by refusing to vote for him. Whether he ever makes it in or not, at least he is on the ballot.

I suspect that at some point Bonds will be as well, although the fall out from his case is ongoing. Stay tuned for updates.

all fine points. yes, rules are rules but i think some reconsideration is in order. by all means he did break a major rule and should have been banned from ever playing again. however, like i said before i dont see how one's HOF eligability should be effected by mistakes made off the field and i think that should be taken into account when looking at these rules. he made some bad choices but one mistake shouldnt overshadow accomplishments made before he got in trouble.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

The way I see it is that they let in ty cobb-Racist, Babe Ruth-Drunk and a male whore.What I'm getting at is history won't remember Pete Rose as a Gambler. History will remember Pete Rose as Charlie Hustle one of the best in the games history.Gambling is an adition and from what I understand Pete was adicted. How many times was Daryl Strawberry let back in baseball. Wasn't he adicted to Coke? It is time to make things right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Old Tom Morris
Freshman Team

Post by Old Tom Morris »

As far as I am concerned, the Baseball Hall of Fame does not even exist as long as Peter Edward Rose is denied admission.

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

gahs4ever wrote:Brutus: your argument is logial and makes sense except for one small point that I asked about without an answer thus far.

Are there any other players who have been banned from baseball in the HOF? If so, then by all means Pete should be in as well, and a long time ago to boot. But if there are none, then to include him would be precedent setting, and traditional baseball is slow to set new precedents.

truth be told, i honestly dont know. but if there are then i believe they too could be effected by a rule change, depending on their personal situation. i cant speak for any other cases of being banned and denied the HOF but in Rose's situation i say he should be in, no doubt in my mind.

ace63
SE

Post by ace63 »

Old Tom Morris wrote:As far as I am concerned, the Baseball Hall of Fame does not even exist as long as Peter Edward Rose is denied admission.

I like the way you think !!!

Return to “Pro Sports”