2020 Cincinnati Reds

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: 2020 Cincinnati Reds

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:30 pm Depth could be a strong point for the Reds this year, as Matt Davidson has made a strong bid for that one-open roster spot left on the Cincinnati bench. Davidson hit 2 more HR's in the inter squad game on Wed. Reds manager David Bell said that he loves his bench, I think it's a great mix, it's a little bit of everything, all of our guys are going to contribute.
Matt Davidson, who started Opening Day as the designated hitter, was placed on the 10-day injured list after he tested positive for Covid-19 on Sat. Davidson is the Reds first known player to test positive since they began intake testing at the start of preseason camp on July 1st. Derek Dietrich and one unidentified Reds player tested positive before arriving at camp. What luck, he was just placed on the 30-man roster a couple days ago.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Davidson wasn't the only roster move on Sat. Catcher Tucker Barnhart was placed on paternity list. Barnhart can miss up to 3 games on paternity list, and then it's possible he could miss additional games because he will need to clear Covid-19 testing. The Reds have called up OF Aristides Aquino and P Tejay Antone. Aquino was the National League player of the month last Aug., amd will be a back-up OF. Antone will make his MLB debue in his first game. He impressed during camp and will be used in the bullpen.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

VetteMan wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:14 pm
TRENCHFOOT wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:41 am Good opening day win for the Reds. It sure was different without no fans.
Agree with you about the Fans, we all know the reason why, but it still so strange to see those empty seats. I know in even watching NASCAR, it just seems weird at times. I hope with college football hopefully getting ready to start soon, that by that time we will have become more accustomed with the lack of fans, even though some of the schools as of "today," still are of the opinion that they will be able to have a certain amount of fans. The key word may be "today."
One good thing I noticed without fans is the sound. Sure could hear the ball hitting the catchers mitt better, and the ball coming off the bat real well with good hits. :lol: I like it. :lol: Cool sounds of baseball being played by the big boys while it's calm and quiet. :D Fan noise kinda drowns all that out a bit on TV. Nothing like the fans at a game, but it's something we probably have get use to for awhile to come.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

TRENCHFOOT wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:42 pm
TRENCHFOOT wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:41 am Good opening day win for the Reds. It sure was different without no fans.
Agree with you about the Fans, we all know the reason why, but it still so strange to see those empty seats. I know in even watching NASCAR, it just seems weird at times. I hope with college football hopefully getting ready to start soon, that by that time we will have become more accustomed with the lack of fans, even though some of the schools as of "today," still are of the opinion that they will be able to have a certain amount of fans. The key word may be "today."
One good thing I noticed without fans is the sound. Sure could hear the ball hitting the catchers mitt better, and the ball coming off the bat real well with good hits. :lol: I like it. :lol: Cool sounds of baseball being played by the big boys while it's calm and quiet. :D Fan noise kinda drowns all that out a bit on TV. Nothing like the fans at a game, but it's something we probably have get use to for awhile to come.
I hadn't really given it a lot of thought, but it does make perfectly good since. I'm still kind of up in the air as far as how do your college's that are getting ready to play football, what makes it safe enough for them to have fans in the stadium, even with distancing taking place, whereas MLB and the NFL ( Philadelphia Eagles have said no fans, not sure if it's every NFL team ) will be playing without fans. What we are seeing today, and what is being planned going forward, in the next few days or weeks, could change completely. I didn't mention the NBA as I'm not really a fan anyway, so I probably won't watch regardless.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

The results from the Reds rotation and the teams overall record through 3 games is a little disappointing to say the least. In their 3 starts during the opening series vs the Tigers, Sonny Gray, Luis Castillo and Trevor Bauer underscores why the Reds are viewed as having one of baseballs best rotations. Yet after a 3-2 loss to the Tigers on Sun to drop the series, the Reds are 1-2 when they could have easily be off to a 3-0 start. The rotation collectively own a 1.47 era, and the two losses came at the hands of the bullpen. ( What else is new ) The Reds relievers have given up 7 runs and 4 HR in the past 2 days, Michael Lorenzen giving up 2 HR's. Lorenzen gave up a 2 run HR in the top of the 9th today to snap a 1-1 tie. Really the Reds hitters weren't setting the house on fire either, 1 run in 8 inn. Some of the so called experts think that the Tigers may be one of the worst teams in MLB this year. So much for the projected favorable schedule to start the year. The Reds bullpen was not good last year, especially the closer, I hope it doesn't prove to be the teams downfall again this year.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

You already have players getting sick! This season is not going to work !

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

The bullpen has been the problem for the last 3 to 4 years! And Lorenzen is going to pitch or play the field he can't do both !!! Poor front office coaching again!

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Ever wonder what happened to "Charlie Hustle ?" Peter Edward Rose, was born April 14th, 1941, played in the Majors from 1963-1986, and then managed from 1984-1989. Rose was a switch hitter and is the all-time MLB leader in hits (4256), in games played (3562), in at bats (14,053), in singles (3215), plus outs (10,326), He won 3 World Series Rings, 3 batting titles, 1 MVP, 2 gold gloves, and the rookie of the year award, he also made 17 All Star appearances at 5 different positions. Like or dislike Rose, that always seemed to be the norm. Something that was never in question though, was the fact that he did earn his nickname as a player.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

VetteMan wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:57 am

I hadn't really given it a lot of thought, but it does make perfectly good since. I'm still kind of up in the air as far as how do your college's that are getting ready to play football, what makes it safe enough for them to have fans in the stadium, even with distancing taking place, whereas MLB and the NFL ( Philadelphia Eagles have said no fans, not sure if it's every NFL team ) will be playing without fans. What we are seeing today, and what is being planned going forward, in the next few days or weeks, could change completely. I didn't mention the NBA as I'm not really a fan anyway, so I probably won't watch regardless.
I'm not a big basketball fan either, but I bet it will be weird with no fans as well. Be able to hear the ball bouncing on the court better, and the ball swishing through the net. :lol: The sneaker squeaks on the court will really stand out. :lol:

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

It’s an awful start

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

mattash wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:16 pm It’s an awful start
On the bright side, the Reds could be totally out of contention very soon and we can then focus our angst on whether or not college and high school football will have seasons.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Bad start ! And there is no Pete Rose on this team.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

TRENCHFOOT wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:53 pm
VetteMan wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:57 am

I'm not a big basketball fan either, but I bet it will be weird with no fans as well. Be able to hear the ball bouncing on the court better, and the ball swishing through the net. :lol: The sneaker squeaks on the court will really stand out. :lol:
Trench, you always seem to be able to come up with all of these in-depth reasons pertaining to our favorite sports, which by the way make a lot of sense regardless of what sport. I, for whatever reson don't seem to have the ability to do that. Lol

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

The Reds called up catching prospect Tyler Shephenson on Sun and pitcher Tejay Antone this past Sat. Shephenson hit a HR in his 1st MLB at bat and Antone Pitched 4 1/3 inn of important relief after starter Wade Miley didn't have a very good outing in his Reds debut. The outcome finally went down as an 8-7 loss, after the Reds put themselves in a 6-0 deficit in the 2nd inn. The Cubs Jon Lester threw 5 inn of no-hit baseball before turning it over to his bullpen. The Reds tried to mount a comeback, as the Cubs used 7 relief pitchers the last 4 inn. There are 3 games left with the Cubs in this series, the Reds are off to a 1-3 start, god forbid they start the season 1-6.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Hey !!! Going the wrong road ? 1-4 start ???

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Geronimo wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:29 am Hey !!! Going the wrong road ? 1-4 start ???

2018 the Reds started 2-13
2019 the Reds started 1- 8
2020 the Reds started 1- 4

See the pattern? Is it the players? Is it the on field management? Is it the ownership and front office?
Or were we fooling ourselves in thinking all the off season player deals would result in a team that could be in contention?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Omega wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:28 am
Geronimo wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:29 am Hey !!! Going the wrong road ? 1-4 start ???

2018 the Reds started 2-13
2019 the Reds started 1- 8
2020 the Reds started 1- 4

See the pattern? Is it the players? Is it the on field management? Is it the ownership and front office?
Or were we fooling ourselves in thinking all the off season player deals would result in a team that could be in contention?
At least 2 out of 3 of the above. It just seems as if when they are pitching great, they can't hit a lick, then just the opposite, every player in the line-up hits the ball all over the park, and then the starting pitchers either bury themselves in the early inn, or more often than not the ( closer ) can't close and they end up blowing the win. Now if these two things are not the reason for how they are playing, then it without a doubt has to be David Bell's fault. Lol

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Bullpen plus the closer worries more about his gold chain around his neck. ! Same problem last year !

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Geronimo wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:58 pm Bullpen plus the closer worries more about his gold chain around his neck. ! Same problem last year !
From what little that I remember, he was not very good last year as the closer. He maybe should be very careful with that gold chain, if he doesn't start pitching better and quit blowing so many save opportunities, he may lose his spot on the roster and will be pitching somewhere else besides the Major leagues. He may end up pawning that gold chain if he's not pitching in the Big Boy league.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

The Reds offense received a boost for tonight's game when 2nd baseman Mike Moustakas, and CF Nick Senzel should return to the lineup vs the Cubs. Not putting Nick aside, but especially Mike, he was a big, big sign for us this offseason. He's a difference maker in our clubhouse. He's an energy giver, when he's around, people feel better. He was also missed big time in the dugout.

Return to “Pro Sports”