2020 Cincinnati Reds

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: 2020 Cincinnati Reds

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:15 am Derek Dietrich realized he was one of the fortunate ones. The Reds utility player, who was added to the teams player pool on Wednesday, acknowledged that he had contracted Covid-19 last month ahead of reporting to summer camp workouts. Dietrich tested positive in Goodyear, Arizona, before he reported to the teams complex for voluntary workouts. Dietrich who will turn 31 on Saturday, reported to the teams alternate training site at Prasco Park in Mason, Ohio. Dietrich said that it was a long process to get back on the field.
The Reds announced on Monday that utility player Derek Dietrich exercised the out clause in his contract and was granted his release. Dietrich, 31, had just rejoined the team on Wednesday after he tested positive for Covid-19, even though he had no serious symptoms and went on to receive two negative tests at least 24 hr apart. Reds manager David Bell had chatted with Dietrich when he returned, and he was told that if an opportunity to sign with another club came, that Dietrich might take it. He will definitely be missed but I'm happy for him if he has another opportunity. He's a major league player, I get it, He wanted that to happen as quick as he could.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

There was no crowd inside Great American Ball Park on Tues even., But Shogo Akiyama heard some cheers loud and clear from his teammates in the Reds dugout. None were louder, however, than when Akiyama connected for a game-tying, three run homer in the 5th inn of a 9-7 Reds come from behind victory over the Tigers. Cincinnati's 1st game against an opponent this summer featured 9 HR overall, 5 by the Reds. It was a 6-6 game in the bottom od the 8th inn, when Eugenio Suarez hit a 1-1 pitch into the left field upper deck for a 2-run homer and the lead. Suarez led the Reds last year with 49 HR. Left-hander Nick Lodola, the Reds 1st Rd selection in the 2019 MLB draft, was roughed up during his start, as he gave up 5 earned runs and 8 hits, including 3 HR in 1 1/3 inn. Welcome to the big leagues, hopefully things can only get better.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

During many of the Reds scrimmages the past couple of weeks, Joey Votto has lifted foul balls into the seats around 3rd base and left field. Is he trying to do this, or is he just late on the pitches, only time will tell. Hitting to the opposite field has always been a part of Votto's game. Votto will turn 37 in Sept, not only is he preparing for his 13th Opening Day in Cincinnati, he's trying to rebound from back-to-back subpar seasons. He said he is very disappointed in the 2019 season, if he asked some of the Reds fans, he would find out that he is not the only one disappointed.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

When the Reds and the Tigers stood on the lines ahead of Tuesdays exhibition game for their first National Anthem since baseball returned to play, four Cincinnati Reds players took to one knee. Amir Garrett, Joey Votto, Phillip Ervin and Alex Blandino showed their support for the Black Lives Matter movement. Nothing was reported as to what the Tiger players did.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:38 pm
VetteMan wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:15 am Derek Dietrich realized he was one of the fortunate ones. The Reds utility player, who was added to the teams player pool on Wednesday, acknowledged that he had contracted Covid-19 last month ahead of reporting to summer camp workouts. Dietrich tested positive in Goodyear, Arizona, before he reported to the teams complex for voluntary workouts. Dietrich who will turn 31 on Saturday, reported to the teams alternate training site at Prasco Park in Mason, Ohio. Dietrich said that it was a long process to get back on the field.
The Reds announced on Monday that utility player Derek Dietrich exercised the out clause in his contract and was granted his release. Dietrich, 31, had just rejoined the team on Wednesday after he tested positive for Covid-19, even though he had no serious symptoms and went on to receive two negative tests at least 24 hr apart. Reds manager David Bell had chatted with Dietrich when he returned, and he was told that if an opportunity to sign with another club came, that Dietrich might take it. He will definitely be missed but I'm happy for him if he has another opportunity. He's a major league player, I get it, He wanted that to happen as quick as he could.
A few day's after Derek Dietrich was granted his release by the Reds because he wasn't placed on the Opening Day 30-man roster, Dietrich announced Thurs. that he will stay in the National League Central and sign with the Chicago Cubs.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

After Cincinnati played their final exhibition game against the Detroit Tigers on Wed., Christian Colon was called into the manager's office. Colon was elated to hear that he as well as Matt Davidson both had made the Opening Day 30-man roster. The Reds designated pitchers Justin Shafer and Josh D. Smith for assignment to make room for the two non-roster players on the 30-man roster.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

The Reds spent heavily in the free-agent market to upgrade offensively by adding Mike Moustakas, Nick Castellanos and Shogo Akiyama. All 3 players provided Sonny Gray ample run support in Cincinnati's 7-1 victory over the Detroit Tigers on Opening Day on Friday at Great American Ball Park. Moustakes had 3 hits and 4 RBI's, including a 2-run home-run in the bottom of the 7th inn. Joey Votto also showed that a classic hitter doesn't go out of style. Votto had 2-hits, including a home run of his own, and scored 2-runs. A great start to the season, 1 win down, and 59 more to go.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Good opening day win for the Reds. It sure was different without no fans.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Go Reds !

Toz15
Waterboy

Post by Toz15 »

VetteMan wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:20 pm
A few day's after Derek Dietrich was granted his release by the Reds because he wasn't placed on the Opening Day 30-man roster, Dietrich announced Thurs. that he will stay in the National League Central and sign with the Chicago Cubs.
Surprising Dietrich would sign with the Cubs. Don't know what he saw. The outfield in Chicago is loaded with Heyward, Almora, Schwarber, Happ & Souza.... plus Happ, Hoerner and Kipnis can all play both IF/OF and Bryant and Contreras have played out there before ..... more importantly, that entire bunch will hit better than the buck eighty Dietrich will bring. LOL

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Just glad to see Votto come out hitting. !

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

When the Reds and the Tigers lined up on the field, socially distanced for Opening Day introductions on Friday, a special tribute was preformed by both clubs to recognize the need for social change and justice for people of color. Players and staff from both teams held a 200 yard cloth of black ribbon that spanned both sides of the playing field. As the National Athem was performed, 2 Reds players, Amir Garrett and Phillip Ervin stayed on one knee, while 6 members of the Tigers took to one knee.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Depth could be a strong point for the Reds this year, as Matt Davidson has made a strong bid for that one-open roster spot left on the Cincinnati bench. Davidson hit 2 more HR's in the inter squad game on Wed. Reds manager David Bell said that he loves his bench, I think it's a great mix, it's a little bit of everything, all of our guys are going to contribute.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Reds pitcher Sonny Gray could not have scripted a much better start to the season, than what he experienced yesterday as the opening day starter for the Reds against the Detroit Tigers. Gray collected 9 strikeouts and only allowed 3 hits through 6 inn of a very good start to the season.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Geronimo wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:52 am Just glad to see Votto come out hitting. !
Agree.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

TRENCHFOOT wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:41 am Good opening day win for the Reds. It sure was different without no fans.
Agree with you about the Fans, we all know the reason why, but it still so strange to see those empty seats. I know in even watching NASCAR, it just seems weird at times. I hope with college football hopefully getting ready to start soon, that by that time we will have become more accustomed with the lack of fans, even though some of the schools as of "today," still are of the opinion that they will be able to have a certain amount of fans. The key word may be "today."

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Toz15 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:23 am

Surprising Dietrich would sign with the Cubs. Don't know what he saw. The outfield in Chicago is loaded with Heyward, Almora, Schwarber, Happ & Souza.... plus Happ, Hoerner and Kipnis can all play both IF/OF and Bryant and Contreras have played out there before ..... more importantly, that entire bunch will hit better than the buck eighty Dietrich will bring. LOL
Likewise I was a little surprised that Dietrich signed with the Cubs as well. The article that I read did not specify whether or not he was on the 30 player roster of the Cubs to start the season.

Toz15
Waterboy

Post by Toz15 »

VetteMan wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:14 pm

Likewise I was a little surprised that Dietrich signed with the Cubs as well. The article that I read did not specify whether or not he was on the 30 player roster of the Cubs to start the season.
They sent him to South Bend, their "Alternative Training Site" which, in the current situation, I guess is a pseudo "extended spring training." I really can't tell what they've done with him as far as the roster. He is not on their 30 man active, nor their 40 man roster. Since he signed a minor league contract, I'd assume he's listed at the alternative site. I'm a Cubs fan not a Reds fan so I have no idea what different opportunity he saw with Chicago over Cincy. Maybe the Cubs were his only offer???

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Toz15 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:29 pm
VetteMan wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:14 pm

They sent him to South Bend, their "Alternative Training Site" which, in the current situation, I guess is a pseudo "extended spring training." I really can't tell what they've done with him as far as the roster. He is not on their 30 man active, nor their 40 man roster. Since he signed a minor league contract, I'd assume he's listed at the alternative site. I'm a Cubs fan not a Reds fan so I have no idea what different opportunity he saw with Chicago over Cincy. Maybe the Cubs were his only offer???
I really don't think that the Reds wanted him to exercise the "Out" in his contract, from some of the things that David Bell the manager was saying. Last year I think that he had a tremendous first half of the season, and then kind of hit a brick wall the second half. I can't find the article, but once he asked for his outright release, I remember the fact that if he didn't sign with any of the other Major league teams, he then could have then resigned with the Reds if he so decided to do so. Besides, if I'm not mistaken he had earlier tested positive for Covid-19, which also didn't help his timeline in trying to make the 30-man opening day roster.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

:roll: :lol: Closer is back for Reds !

Return to “Pro Sports”