Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao

Daniel Larusso
Varsity

Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao

Post by Daniel Larusso »

I don't know how many of you guys follow boxing with the UFC being so popular, but I'm still a pretty hardcore fan of the sweet science. There is a lot of talk that boxing is dead which is completely false. It is just not on Spiketv 7 nights a week. It is also going through one of it's most successful periods ever, and still does much better in ppv numbers than the UFC. I actually read recently where the UFC was the one losing a little steam. Both sports have their place, and I even watch a little UFC. I just find boxing more appealing. There is only so much I can take of two grown men in spandex rolling around on the ground.

Anyway, unless you were living under a rock last week Floyd "Money" Mayweather dominated future hall of famer "Sugar" Shane Mosley over 12 rounds. This has now set up the long awaited biggest fight in history with filipino icon Manny Pacquiao. These guys are set to make something like 40 million each. There is a lot of buzz about this fight even in the mainstream with non hardcore boxing fans. I have read where the fight is being targeted for November. My money is on "Money".

Thoughts....................................................

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Re: Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao

Post by d-5 »

My money is on Manny Pacquiao in 5 rounds ;-)

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

The Mosley/Mayweather fight should have never happened. Mayweather beating Mosley didn't do a thing for Mayweather.

If Mayweather finds that Pacquiao is for real he will run and it will be a dull fight. Even if Mayweather is getting the best of Pacquiao the guy will fight. If it is the other way around Mayweather will run.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

They wont fight. One of them will find a way out based upon some clause in the contract they dont agree with.

Daniel Larusso
Varsity

Post by Daniel Larusso »

noreply66 wrote:The Mosley/Mayweather fight should have never happened. Mayweather beating Mosley didn't do a thing for Mayweather.

If Mayweather finds that Pacquiao is for real he will run and it will be a dull fight. Even if Mayweather is getting the best of Pacquiao the guy will fight. If it is the other way around Mayweather will run.

Mosley was the #1 ranked welterweight in the world and the champion. I don't see how Floyd beating him meant nothing.

Do not mistake boxing for running. This is not a toughman contest. Boxing is the art of hitting and not getting hit.

tigercannon71 wrote:They wont fight. One of them will find a way out based upon some clause in the contract they dont agree with.

They will fight because there is too much money involved not to.

MM125
Riding the Bench

Post by MM125 »

Hopefully Mayweather puts Pacquiao in a coma can't stand that punk but I'll be happy with a unanimous decision, Manny has nothing on Floyd and it will prove if Manny doesn't pull out this fight like he did last one.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

My money is on Manny.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Mayweather will run and Pacquiao will chase. Mayweather can't stand toe to toe with him and remain standing for very long. If they fight Manny will win, if Mayweather runs he might have a jabbers chance.

Daniel Larusso
Varsity

Post by Daniel Larusso »

What is it with you guys and the Mayweather runs comments. Was Apollo Creed a runner too because he wanted to box and not slug with Rocky? According to you guys "Sugar" Ray Leonard and Muhammad Ali must have been runners as well. Once again boxing is the art of hitting and not getting hit.

Mayweather is a far superior boxer to Pacquiao. He will systematically break "Pacman" down and k.o. him late. In the famous words of Clubber Lang "my prediction for Pacquiao is pain".

fightingtigers45
S

Post by fightingtigers45 »

Ill take Mayweather all day. Simply put, hes unhittable. Mosley tagged him twice and it really didnt effect Mayweather. After he fights, Mayweather looks like he hasnt been touched. They call him Pretty Boy for a reason.

Mayweather is terrific at adjusting to his opponents also. IF they do fight, I can see Manny winning the first two rounds but Mayweather taking over after that. His shoulder roll defense is flat out amazing to watch.

41-0. Soon to be 42-0.

seven40
Riding the Bench

Post by seven40 »

Mayweather all day.

As much as I'd love to see Manny floor him, it's highly unlikely.

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

fightingtigers45 wrote:Ill take Mayweather all day. Simply put, hes unhittable. Mosley tagged him twice and it really didnt effect Mayweather. After he fights, Mayweather looks like he hasnt been touched. They call him Pretty Boy for a reason.

Mayweather is terrific at adjusting to his opponents also. IF they do fight, I can see Manny winning the first two rounds but Mayweather taking over after that. His shoulder roll defense is flat out amazing to watch.

41-0. Soon to be 42-0.

When mosley tagged him, he was on the way to sleepy time and just held on to survive the round. Manny will pound maywether like he's never been pounded before. K.O. under 8.

fightingtigers45
S

Post by fightingtigers45 »

Boonedawg wrote:
fightingtigers45 wrote:Ill take Mayweather all day. Simply put, hes unhittable. Mosley tagged him twice and it really didnt effect Mayweather. After he fights, Mayweather looks like he hasnt been touched. They call him Pretty Boy for a reason.

41-0. Soon to be 42-0.

When mosley tagged him, he was on the way to sleepy time and just held on to survive the round. Manny will pound maywether like he's never been pounded before. K.O. under 8.

Mayweather has been hit harder in his career. And, yes, he may have held on, but who knows if he would have went down. He has yet to hit the mat in his 41 pro fights. Also, after that round, Mayweather dominated.

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

Well on # 42 he's going to spend at least 10 seconds horizontal.

know all
Freshman Team

Post by know all »

Boonedawg wrote:Well on # 42 he's going to spend at least 10 seconds horizontal.

i hope he brakes him in hard[prison style].

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

Wow! U guys are FUNNY......Mayweather all day.

Daniel Larusso
Varsity

Post by Daniel Larusso »

41-0. Soon to be 42-0.

All of the above statements in bold are correct. You have obviously seen Mayweather fight before. The truth is that Pac is a great offensive fighter, but his defense is non existent. Floyd will barely even be hit by Pacquiao. Everytime Pac throws a punch though he will be countered. This will become very frustrating throughout the fight. Eventually Pac will quit throwing just like Mosley and others did in fear of being countered. Mayweather will constantly hit him flush resulting in either the fight being stopped or just a straight up ko.

On the flipside when Pac tries to hit Floyd he will either find air or Floyd tucked in his shoulder roll defense. The man hardly ever gets hit flush. He is always looking to "roll with the punches" hence the famous phrase. I like to compare his defense to a running back like Barry Sanders or Reggie Bush. The elusive guys that when it comes time for contact can contort their body in a way so that they don't take a direct hit. To be honest Floyd is probably the most technically sound fighter of all time. The only boxer I have seen more athletically gifted was a prime Roy Jones Jr., but Floyd's technical skills are far superior to even the great Jones. He will make Pac look like an amateur as he has done to world class boxers in the past. Pac is a great brawler, but Floyd is a master boxer. It doesn't matter if the fight is inside or outside Manny will be stopped.

Return to “Pro Sports”