MVL Football

Play60Football
Riding the Bench

MVL Football

Post by Play60Football »

As Teach stated in the "Morgan - TSL thread" It turned into a lot of MVL talk and less about the TSL and their expansion possibilities.
As was stated it's probably better to just start an MVL Thread. The MVL is one of the oldest leagues in the state and recently expanded but there seems to be some contentious issues arising. Are they fake? just rumor?
As stated on here, there appears to be multiple schools possibly leaving, or doing their homework to leave through the rumor mill. Morgan TSL, Crooksville anywhere, Coshocton and RV to IVC...... If that were to come to true where does the MVL go from there....

Like always rumors are fun sometimes but in all likelihood the MVL will go chugging along as they've done forever!

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: MVL Football

Post by EasternDspy »

Why not just add

Warren
Marietta
Fort Frye

It would keep Morgan in the mvl small. It would start some awesome rivalries.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

EasternDspy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:30 pm Why not just add

Warren
Marietta
Fort Frye

The MVL schools think the trips to Coshocton are bad, so I doubt they are going to approve of three new trips to Washington County. Would be awesome for all three Washington County schools, but doesn't make sense from the MVL's perspective.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Warren
Marietta
Fort Frye

I thought the TSL was thriving?

MVLfan
Waterboy

Post by MVLfan »

Dundas wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:16 pm

Warren
Marietta
Fort Frye

According to their last minutes, there’s no new interest. At this time they are just meeting at Western Sizzlin to get lunch. For them to truly thrive, they are going to have to get a package of schools (2-3) to join together. There’s no perk to a 4 team league when you have to go and find 7 games in football and roughly 16 in basketball and baseball/ softball. Schools like stability and a sure thing.

meatswinger
JV Team

Post by meatswinger »

MVLfan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:46 am

Warren
Marietta
Fort Frye

According to their last minutes, there’s no new interest. At this time they are just meeting at Western Sizzlin to get lunch. For them to truly thrive, they are going to have to get a package of schools (2-3) to join together. There’s no perk to a 4 team league when you have to go and find 7 games in football and roughly 16 in basketball and baseball/ softball. Schools like stability and a sure thing.
There are some teams in the unstable TVC that are having discussions about making the leap to the TSL together. You won’t read that in any official meeting minutes though. The discussions have been limited to private conversations thus far.

Play60Football
Riding the Bench

Post by Play60Football »

The TVC is going to be voting on, and I assume approving Oak Hill into the TVC Ohio here very shortly. Will that have any affect on schools like Alexander, Athens, Meigs from jumping to the TSL?

Sportsfan01
JV Team

Post by Sportsfan01 »

Warren
Marietta
Fort Frye

There last minutes said “6 teams had expressed interest” and the AD were tasked with continuing to reach out to potential schools.

Play60Football
Riding the Bench

Post by Play60Football »

Sportsfan01 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:30 am

There last minutes said “6 teams had expressed interest” and the AD were tasked with continuing to reach out to potential schools.
This is, I assume 6 of these 8 schools....Athens, Cambridge, Alexander, Meigs, Nelsonville, Trimble, Waterford, Belpre. Morgan says their not interested anymore but i'm sure that is the 4 team format, more teams.... more interest like someone stated.

The TVC would be left with Wellston, Vinton County, River Valley, Eastern and Southern..... and apparently Oak Hill.

Like i've said, for MVL purposes, The TSL and TVC "dance", rumored or imaginary, has an impact on Morgan and Crooksville, and apparently Coshocton and River View. Cambridge has requested entry into the MVL as well.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Play60Football wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:17 am
Sportsfan01 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:30 am

This is, I assume 6 of these 8 schools....Athens, Cambridge, Alexander, Meigs, Nelsonville, Trimble, Waterford, Belpre. Morgan says their not interested anymore but i'm sure that is the 4 team format, more teams.... more interest like someone stated.

The TVC would be left with Wellston, Vinton County, River Valley, Eastern and Southern..... and apparently Oak Hill.

Like i've said, for MVL purposes, The TSL and TVC "dance", rumored or imaginary, has an impact on Morgan and Crooksville, and apparently Coshocton and River View. Cambridge has requested entry into the MVL as well.
No one is leaving the TVC anytime soon. The TSL tried to raid but failed. Oak hill to the Ohio solves the scheduling problem that the TVC has had for years.

Play60Football
Riding the Bench

Post by Play60Football »

Does the TVC have mandatory crossover games in all sports?

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Funny. MVL talk moved off the TSL thread and we are back to talking about the TSL and TVC. That's fine, but still funny,

I don't see any MVL schools jumping ship. Just a few schools looking at what is best for them as an individual school instead of what is best for the MVL. That is just not the way the MVL has operated over the years. For instance, in 2017 more MVL schools wanted to just add a 10th team vs adding 3 teams and going divisions, The smaller schools really wanted a few more schools (small schools if possible) and divisions and the other schools went along unanimously. The "pre-nuptial" agreement for football was that schools would play 5 division games and 2 mandatory cross division games (based on school size) in exchange for adding teams and going divisions. It meant all teams would have one less guaranteed MVL game and need to find 3 non-league games (some with league opponents not scheduled to play). As new leaders emerged at some schools, they were unaware of the past and it has ruffled some feathers. There is enough of the old guard in place to keep the agreement intact in my opinion.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Play60Football wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:29 pm Does the TVC have mandatory crossover games in all sports?
They had mandatory crossover games in sports other than football until 1999. They do not require any crossover.

MVLfan
Waterboy

Post by MVLfan »

teach1coach2 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:28 pm Funny. MVL talk moved off the TSL thread and we are back to talking about the TSL and TVC. That's fine, but still funny,

I don't see any MVL schools jumping ship. Just a few schools looking at what is best for them as an individual school instead of what is best for the MVL. That is just not the way the MVL has operated over the years. For instance, in 2017 more MVL schools wanted to just add a 10th team vs adding 3 teams and going divisions, The smaller schools really wanted a few more schools (small schools if possible) and divisions and the other schools went along unanimously. The "pre-nuptial" agreement for football was that schools would play 5 division games and 2 mandatory cross division games (based on school size) in exchange for adding teams and going divisions. It meant all teams would have one less guaranteed MVL game and need to find 3 non-league games (some with league opponents not scheduled to play). As new leaders emerged at some schools, they were unaware of the past and it has ruffled some feathers. There is enough of the old guard in place to keep the agreement intact in my opinion.
Is there truth to expansion being looked at? Do you think this will be by invite to schools we’ve talked about across multiple threads like Zanesville/Cambridge or will they announce plans to expand to see if other schools might also be interested?
Where would league leadership cut off expansion if they go that way, assuming multiple schools would want to join a stable league? 14? 16?

Play60Football
Riding the Bench

Post by Play60Football »

MVLfan wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:13 pm
teach1coach2 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:28 pm Funny. MVL talk moved off the TSL thread and we are back to talking about the TSL and TVC. That's fine, but still funny,

Is there truth to expansion being looked at? Do you think this will be by invite to schools we’ve talked about across multiple threads like Zanesville/Cambridge or will they announce plans to expand to see if other schools might also be interested?
Where would league leadership cut off expansion if they go that way, assuming multiple schools would want to join a stable league? 14? 16?
*nothing to do with league dynamics but it looks like Cambridge is looking for a new coach.... On the Yappi forums says Leek took the Dalton job (D7 Runner Up)*

As teach said, the MVL will ultimately stay the same... I still feel Crooksville admin needs to look elsewhere *cough* TVC Hocking *cough*. The MVL really shouldn't be upset if they did leave.... Natural slide in for Cambridge.

Expansion again would be interesting.... Who is possibly around to expand with?? Cambridge, Zanesville..... Fairfield Union, Lakewood?? nothing smaller than DIV.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

No expansion talk.

Cambridge sends a letter of interest to the MVL most years. If one team ever leaves I see Cambridge as an automatic invite.

Zanesville would love to be in the MVL but I don't see them applying since they know they would not get enough votes.

About 2004, Heath wanted in the MVL right after River View was voted down.

Right before the LCL formed again, Licking Valley, Lakewood, and Heath approached the MVL about adding them (12 total) and going to divisions. It was more than a decade ago and none of the MVL teams wanted divisions.

Warren Local applied to be in the MVL to be the 10th team. Almost got it.

MVK approached Fairfield Union about being the 10th team. The said no thank you.

All of that occurred more than a decade ago. The MVL had a decade where the bigger schools got really good in a lot of sports and the smaller schools struggled.

So about 2018 the MVL decided to add 3 schools. 4 applied. Meadowbrook, Coshocton and River View got in. Cambridge was odd man out. 12 team MVL started in 2020.

Play60Football
Riding the Bench

Post by Play60Football »

Why was RV accepted over Cambridge?

I think the MVL offers a lot of comfortability within its teams. You're going to get a good schedule vs really competitive teams most years. Travel is pretty solid. All but football is going to make the tournament and now with 6-7 divisions in most sports you have a chance to get really ready for the tournament.

I think some of the gripes have come with football crossovers where tournament participation and seeding has been an issue with some small schools apparently.

MVLfan
Waterboy

Post by MVLfan »

Play60Football wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:02 am Why was RV accepted over Cambridge?

I think the MVL offers a lot of comfortability within its teams. You're going to get a good schedule vs really competitive teams most years. Travel is pretty solid. All but football is going to make the tournament and now with 6-7 divisions in most sports you have a chance to get really ready for the tournament.

I think some of the gripes have come with football crossovers where tournament participation and seeding has been an issue with some small schools apparently.
I’d guess that RiverView/Coshocton was probably a package deal, but I’d agree. Cambridge seems like a better fit. Oddly enough, the two geographic outliers were two rumored with leaving, after only being in the league for 4 years.

Crossovers in football seem like something lazy ADs want so they don’t have to try and find the right games. There are many natural rivalries within the league Maysville/Philo, Coshocton/ RV, Sheridan/NL, Crooksville/Philo. Let those schools preserve their rivalries if they want and throw the rest out. How great was TV/Granville in the playoffs? Why isn’t that a colossal matchup we get every year? How much would it mean for Lotozo’s boys at Crooksville to have played a Shenendoah, Miller, or Beallsville and sneak in the playoff? Do they win a playoff game, highly unlikely! But, that town would have a week long party just for coming back from the ashes and they’d have a roster of 40 the next year!

But back to expansion… Cambridge, Fairfield Union, Zanesville, Logan, Lakewood, Heath…. Who else?

General
Waterboy

Post by General »

I look for Heath, Lakewood, and Licking Valley to want in down the road. Once Watkins, licking heights, Johnstown, and Granville get “too big”. Although, I think Lakewood and Valley are going to see growth also.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

As I said earlier, none of the MVL schools are going anywhere.

There were no package deals when the MVL expanded. Just a vote that brought in the 3 teams and left out 1.
Looking at the school sizes when the vote occurred, the smaller the school the more votes they got. Most MVL schools wanted schools for the small division. With River View dropping in enrollment yearly, in about 4 years all 3 of the schools added will likely be in the small school division.

New Lex, Morgan, and Maysville are stuck in the middle. Over time they will bounce up and down in divisions.

Oh, and starting in 2015 Granville and Tri-Valley will play yearly week 2.

Return to “Football”